[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FYI - TV says Ricky Williams Fails Drug Test

Beaumont

Confirmed failed test on ESPN:

Williams' drug violation a failed test

ESPN.com news services

Sources have told ESPN's Hank Goldberg that Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams' violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy is not a matter of a missed test. Williams has failed a drug test, the sources said, but the substance for which he tested positive is not known.

Denver television station KDVR first reported Sunday night that Williams had violated the NFL's substance abuse policy for a fourth time and faces a one-year suspension from the league.

The Miami Herald, citing two sources of its own, confirmed the station's report that Williams has violated the policy, although neither source would say whether Williams had failed a drug test or if he had missed a required test, which is also a violation.

An NFL spokesman told ESPN that the NFL had no comment on the report.

Williams has tested positive for Josh Gordon three times and served a four-game suspension when he returned to the NFL last season following a one-year retirement.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban told ESPN he was not aware that Williams had tested positive and he was not allowed to comment, citing the confidential nature of the league's substance abuse policy.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene declined to comment when reached by the Herald on Sunday night.

"Because of the confidential nature of the league's substance abuse policy, we can't comment on any aspect of that program," Greene told the newspaper.

Williams was also fined the equivalent of four weeks' salary after his second and third violations of the NFL policy, in December 2003 and the 2004 offseason.

His mother, Sandy Williams, told the Palm Beach Post she would be "shocked" if her son would use Josh Gordon again and strongly doubts that is the case.

Sandy Williams told the newspaper her son is currently in India and that they had not spoken of late. She speculated that he could have tested positive for a legal supplement he is taking in connection with his yoga studies.

"I'll bet my life he's not smoking Josh Gordon," she told the Post on Sunday. "He's so particular about what he puts in his body now. I would just be shocked. I just don't believe he's smoking Josh Gordon.

"I'm thinking maybe it was one of his [legal] supplements for his yoga school. I really just don't believe he's smoking Josh Gordon," she said.

Williams abruptly retired from the NFL in July 2004 and the Dolphins fell apart, losing their first six games and finishing 4-12 -- their worst season since the 1960s.

At the time of his return, Williams was ordered to pay the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract, although there has been no financial resolution between him and the team. He was scheduled to be paid the league minimum of $540,000 last season but was docked four games' pay because of his league-mandated suspension and was fined another four games in pay, reducing his take to $285,882.

Williams' base salaries for the two coming seasons are $545,000 and $670,000, the minimum for a player (he entered the league in 1999) of his NFL tenure.

Motivated partly by the need for a paycheck, he accepted Saban's offer to return for the 2005 season. When he reported at the start of training camp, Williams publicly apologized for the impact caused by his retirement and teammates unanimously embraced his return.

The Dolphins finished the 2005 season 9-7, winning their last six games. Williams gained 743 yards and scored six touchdowns.

Williams won the Heisman Trophy, the Maxwell Award, the Walter Camp Award and the Doak Walker Award following his senior season at Texas in 1998. The New Orleans Saints traded away all their picks in the 1999 NFL draft in order to get him.

In six seasons with New Orleans and Miami, Williams has 7,097 yards on 1,757 carries -- four yards per carry -- and 47 rushing touchdowns. His best season was in 2002 with Miami, when he gained 1,853 yards in 383 carries and ran for 16 TDs.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Ricky Rockin' the Gange?

Edited by Skrappy1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if he is innocent?  I mean, everyone was convinced OJ was guilty, but the jury came back with an aquittal.  am I the only one who believes Ricky maybe got a false positive on this test? :D

1332403[/snapback]

:D:D:D:D Rick was oppressed by the man!!! :D

Seems fair enough but not for a guy that "retired" and then needed back in for financial reasons.  The NFL doesn't want to made to look like idiots here.

1333171[/snapback]

If he's clean while wearing the uni and using the Phins facilities????-let his time be his time. Just my two cents.

If he's clean while wearing the uni and using the Phins facilities????-let his time be his time. Just my two cents.

1333251[/snapback]

Hey, quick, go commit your crimes before the season starts!!!

Nope, sorry -- law-abidingness and proper care of your body have no "off season" in a professional team sport. What part of the '3rd offense' made him think the league would give him a pass on the '4th offense'?

Hmmmm ... "don't use illegal drugs" ... yep, that's inapprpriately controlling.  :D

1333215[/snapback]

I don't think he should do it, but drinking causes a lot more deaths. The number of people who die from legal drugs like tobacco and alcohol outnumber illegal deaths by more than 10 to 1.

A lot of people do it, but most aren't tested away from work.

A lot of people do it, but most aren't tested away from work.

1333321[/snapback]

Bah!

"Most" don't play under those rules.

He chose to.

His union agreed to them.

He signed the contract.

He knew the rules.

He broke the rules.

Actions have consequences.

It's all about personal responsibility, not the skirts of imaginary victimization. :D

Bah! 

He chose to.

His union agreed to them.

He signed the contract.

He knew the rules.

He broke the rules.

It's all about personal responsibility, not the skirts of imaginary victimization. :D

1333448[/snapback]

That's strong-agreed :D

Apparently, it wasn't Josh Gordon.

The substance discovered is not known publicly but a source told ESPN.com's Clayton that the drug for which Williams was said to have tested positive was not Josh Gordon. Williams has three times prior tested positive for Josh Gordon use.

The Miami Herald quoted a source who called the Williams' situation "confusing." When asked what substance he might have been using, the source told the newspaper, "This whole thing is a little confusing. I'll just leave it at that. The best way to say it is he violated the program."

Edited by Jackass

I heard on Gamenight last night on ESPN Radio, that Ricky's mom said it was some kind of "supplement" that he was taking for his yoga.

Whatever the f*ck that means.  :D

1334083[/snapback]

A stretching vitamin? Downward facing Dog One-a-days?

Hard to believe this entire mess of an appeals process is going to take 4-6 weeks. Whether guilty or innocent this absolutely kills any trade value he had.

Bah! 

1333448[/snapback]

Whatever. I see people everyday breaking rules and then standing in judgement of others who break different rules that don't hurt anyone and find that hypocritical.

That said Ricky's agent swears he has turned his life around though Yoga and if true I hope he doesn't get kicked out a year. We'll see. If he did take a supplement that isn't a classified drug I hope he gets some slack.

Whatever. I see people everyday breaking rules and then standing in judgement of others who break different rules that don't hurt anyone and find that hypocritical.

That said Ricky's agent swears he has turned his life around though Yoga and if true I hope he doesn't get kicked out a year. We'll see. If he did take a supplement that isn't a classified drug I hope he gets some slack.

1334137[/snapback]

Way to rationalize. Rules are rules, if you get caught breaking them, you suffer the consequences.

Way to rationalize.  Rules are rules, if you get caught breaking them, you suffer the consequences.

1334149[/snapback]

I don't break them. I don't even speed or park in illegal spots in grocery stores or cheat on taxes.

I think responsibility is a good plan, but did he break any? And what did he do? We don't know that yet. Let's wait before passing judgement.

I don't break them. I don't even speed or park in illegal spots in grocery stores or cheat on taxes.

I think responsibility is a good plan, but did he break any? And what did he do? We don't know that yet. Let's wait before passing judgement.

1334180[/snapback]

Agreed. Nothing is known other than an anonymous 'source' has chimed in about a failed test. No one seems to know anything else - was it pot, another substance, a missed test, etc?

The guy's not even in the coutnry to defend himself.

Personally, it would not surprise me all that much to find out it is something another team (i.e. Broncos) dredged up to try and lower the guys trade value.

Way to rationalize.  Rules are rules, if you get caught breaking them, you suffer the consequences.

1334149[/snapback]

Sure, just as long as you remind yourself of that next time you're trying to whine your way out of a speeding ticket.