[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre holdout is good for the Packers draft...

Super Twinky

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D half dozen of one, six of the other.  and six more.  and six more.

:oldelwaygrin:

1436086[/snapback]

Sorry, just can't get past that loss. We were SUPPOSED to win, we were favored by double digit points... :D

I liked the fun bunch, and had a Ricky Nattiel jersey when I was younger. :D

Elway did NOT win that Super Bowl, Terrell Davis did. And yes, we are still sore about that Super Bowl.

1436081[/snapback]

Elway certainly vindicated himself with his lights-out performance vs Atlanta.

And I don't understand why people would be bitter against the Broncos for that game - let's see, GB came in believing their press clippings, for one; Gabe Wilkins utterly pussed out with a knee injury he could have played with; his replacement, Darius Holland, only got near Davis once, and got a 15 yd facemask penalty on the play; Holmgren decided to ignore the fact that Dorsey Levens was eating up the Broncos and pass like a BYU team in a WAC game; etc etc.

Maybe GB would have won if they had been facing an inferior team that snuck into the SB on an upset or two - unfortunately for them, they weren't. Of course, since it was one of the top 2 or 3 SBs up to that point, I'd say they don't have anything to hang their heads over either.

Fair warning, this is only my opinion...

I think Favre has already made his decision to play one more year, and is holding out to tell the general public until after the draft for a reason.  TT, McCarthy, and Favre's agent have known this for awhile now.  By him holding out, it gives the Packers a distinct extra edge towards trading down in the draft. 

1434280[/snapback]

Looks like this theory is out the window......weird, so many people were buying it too.

What has been proven wrong?

1438080[/snapback]

Technically...nothing I guess.

But of course, you're going to have to say that Favre & the Pack cooked up this whole "Will he or won't he retire" soap opera, for no reason...and the NFL being in cohoots, gave there blessing.

If that's your position, then I guess technically PFT was right.

Favre, the Pack & the NFL knew all along he wouldn't retire. They've just been playing a sick little game with everybody because...well...because they could.

If that's your position, how can I disagree? :D

Technically...nothing I guess.

But of course, you're going to have to say that Favre & the Pack cooked up this whole "Will he or won't he retire" soap opera, for no reason...and the NFL being in cohoots, gave there blessing.

If that's your position, then I guess technically PFT was right.

Favre, the Pack & the NFL knew all along he wouldn't retire. They've just been playing a sick little game with everybody because...well...because they could.

If that's your position, how can I disagree? :D

1438224[/snapback]

Favre told the team a while ago that he wasn't going to retire but that they weren't allowed to make an offical announcement. Those were his terms. Now there has been confirmation to what PFT has been saying for a month and you're trying to imply that they were wrong? :D

Edited by Jumpin Johnies

Favre told the team a while ago that he wasn't going to retire but that they weren't allowed to make an offical announcement.  Those were his terms.

1438228[/snapback]

:D I can not find confirmation to your above statement anywhere JJ :D

Favre told the team a while ago that he wasn't going to retire but that they weren't allowed to make an offical announcement.  Those were his terms.  Now there has been confirmation to what PFT has been saying for a month and you're trying to imply that they were wrong? :D

1438228[/snapback]

wasn't the "rumor" that favre had already made his decision and that everyone was complicit in keeping it quiet in order to improve the pack's draft stock? welp, as retarded a speculated motive as that was, it's obviously now completely out the window since it's all public and the draft hasn't happened.

i see no other motive whatsoever for any of the parties to keep it quiet if they KNEW favre was coming back. the perceived indecision could only hurt them (as far as free agents, etc.)

now, what probably DID happen is favre went to the pack a month ago and told them he's pretty sure he wants to play, but don't announce anything for a while because he wants to have a little extra time to change his mind or something.

wasn't the "rumor" that favre had already made his decision and that everyone was complicit in keeping it quiet in order to improve the pack's draft stock?  welp, as retarded a speculated motive as that was, it's obviously now completely out the window since it's all public and the draft hasn't happened. 

i see no other motive whatsoever for any of the parties to keep it quiet if they KNEW favre was coming back.  the perceived indecision could only hurt them (as far as free agents, etc.)

now, what probably DID happen is favre went to the pack a month ago and told them he's pretty sure he wants to play, but don't announce anything for a while because he wants to have a little extra time to change his mind or something.

1438334[/snapback]

I could agree with all that. It was only a "rumor" in the first place and it wasn't as far-fetched as you seem to believe. I'm sure NFL teams have crazier things to throw competitors off their true draft intentions.

PFT never said that Favre and the Packers were keeping it a secret to improve their draft position, some huddler conjoured that up. They speculated that Favre was dragging it on to piss off Ted Thompson, draw attention to himself or give himself a way out in case they sucked. Here is a story from PFT.

LORD FAVRE (YAWN) IS COMING BACK

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre informed the team on Tuesday that he'll be returning for the 2006 season.

Anyone who has been coming to this site for the past month or so knows that this is old news. Indeed, we've just heard from our original source regarding the "Favre is returning" story that the more accurate characterization of the development is that Favre gave the team permission on Tuesday to announce publicly that which the organization already has known.

Though we never could quite figure out Favre's motivation for telling the team that he was coming back but not officially granting the team authority to say so, the simple reality could be that (as former teammate Mark Chmura suggested a few weeks back) Favre likes the attention.

And plenty of it he got.

At one point, we concluded that Favre's public questioning of the team's failure to make a splash in free agency was aimed at securing for himself a no-lose proposition in 2006. If the team sucks, he gets no blame. If the team is good, he gets all of the credit. So even though the chances of pulling an Elway are low, climbing back to the top of an undermanned NFC North could, given the low level of expectations, provide the same kind of feel-good final chapter to Favre's career.

Indeed, what has the team done since Favre's April 8 presser about nothing, where he called for the team to sign an impact free agent? Under his own stated reasoning, he rightly should have quit.

Frankly, we doubted our report that Favre was returning only once, in the wake of that press conference. But our source promptly informed us that the Packers had given the NFL specific assurances that Favre would be back before the NFL handed the team three prime time appearances in 2006.

And with the expectations now appropriately lowered in Green Bay, allow us to be the first to predict that the Packers won't be as bad as most pundits presume they will be. We'll predict at least a 9-7 record in Favre's final season, with an outside shot at a playoff berth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Jumpin Johnies

He wants you to find the original story from PFT -- the one from a couple of monts ago.

1438393[/snapback]

No...that's not what I'm after. I'm looking for a link that definitively says Favre told the Pack months ago he was coming back, but only to release that info on his say so.

No...that's not what I'm after. I'm looking for a link that definitively says Favre told the Pack months ago he was coming back, but only to release that info on his say so.

1438478[/snapback]

That's what PFT's source told them. Could you please link me to their archives. You've so far been unable to prove anything wrong off of their site, congratulations. :D

Are you (the really bad word)ing blind or just retarded?

1438389[/snapback]

So PFT confirming it's own rumor is proof it's rumor was not a rumor :doah:

Now here's what every other sites has to say;

Harlan said Thompson and new coach Mike McCarthy, who stayed in contact with Favre during the offseason, both remained confident they could talk him into returning.

"Both of them, down deep, I think believed he was coming back," Harlan said.

www.nfl.com

Hmmm...."they remained confident they could talk him into coming back" ..."they believed he was coming back"

Brett Favre informed the Packers on Tuesday that he will definitely play the 2006 season in Green Bay.

The NFL's only three-time MVP shared his decision with general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy in a telephone conversation on Tuesday morning, the sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Tuesday night. Wednesday, Thompson confirmed the news.

ESPN

Hmmm..."informed the Packers on Tuesday"..."shared his decision...Tuesday morning...Wednesday, Thompson confirmed the news."

"The Green Bay Packers are very pleased that Brett has come to this decision, and look forward to a successful 2006 season," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement, confirming a report by ESPN Tuesday night that Favre had told the team he was returning.

www.sportsline.com

Hmmm... "The Green Bay Packers are very pleased that Brett has come to this decision,"..."confirming a report by ESPN Tuesday night that Favre had told the team he was returning."

Favre, who reportedly told the Packers on Tuesday he intends to play this season,

greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com

Hmm..."Favre, who reportedly told the Packers on Tuesday"

Four months after he left Lambeau Field following a season-ending victory over the Seattle Seahawks - amid rampant speculation on whether it would be for the final time - Favre has informed the Packers that he'll be returning for the 2006 season, team and league sources told ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=4/25/2006&id=5280' rel="external nofollow">

Milwaulke Journal Sentinel

Hmmm... "Four months after he left Lambeau Field...Favre has informed the Packers that he'll be returning for the 2006 season"

Every other source (including the Packers Brass) states Favre only made his decision yesterday.

Do you have a :D confirming PFT's story...other than PFT itself? :D

So PFT confirming it's own rumor is proof it's rumor was not a rumor :doah: 

Now here's what every other sites has to say;

www.nfl.com

Hmmm...."they remained confident they could talk him into coming back" ..."they believed he was coming back"

ESPN

Hmmm..."informed the Packers on Tuesday"..."shared his decision...Tuesday morning...Wednesday, Thompson confirmed the news."

www.sportsline.com

Hmmm... "The Green Bay Packers are very pleased that Brett has come to this decision,"..."confirming a report by ESPN Tuesday night that Favre had told the team he was returning."

greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com

Hmm..."Favre, who reportedly told the Packers on Tuesday"

Milwaulke Journal Sentinel

Hmmm... "Four months after he left Lambeau Field...Favre has informed the Packers that he'll be returning for the 2006 season"

Every other source (including the Packers Brass) states Favre only made his decision yesterday.

Do you have a  :D  confirming PFT's story...other than PFT itself? :D

1438525[/snapback]

Lavar Arrington had Favre tell him that he was coming back before yesterday. Again, Favre had his mind made up a while ago, he just now decided to allow the Packers to confirm it. If he had retired I guess you could say that PFT was wrong, he didn't so you can't. By the way, Favre has said that he was going to wait and see what types of FA's they signed before he made his mind up. They failed to sign any FA's and guess what he still decided to stay. His mind was made up a while ago. Most Packers fans know that as well.

Edited by Jumpin Johnies

I was just saying that the huddler who said this was all part of GB's draft strategy was completely wrong. I mean the draft is days away and we all know Favre's playing this year. I think everyone's best guess would he would play this year, in my mind if he held GB hostage for this long and then said he wasn't going to play, he might tarnish his legacy a bit and some GB fans would be upset. Reasons why Favre did this, I don't really care....I just know it had nothing to do with the Packers' 'mastermind' draft conspiracy.

That's what PFT's source told them.

1438524[/snapback]

What source?

I can make chit up and say it came from a source too :D

Could you please link me to their archives.

1438524[/snapback]

Just above the start of their Rumor Mill column is their Search for Rumor Mill Archives.

Here's the one I did.

PFT Rumor Mill Archives - Search On Favre

You've so far been unable to prove anything wrong off of their site, congratulations. :D

1438524[/snapback]

:D Not being able to find one single source confirming that Favre secretly informed the Pack of his decision sometime ago means nothing to you I guess? :D

(besides PFT confirming their own rumor with some mysterious un-named Deep Throat source :D )