[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve Smith is he still top 3 or does Keyshawn worry you?

keggerz

well I think he is still a top 3 WR this yr...

I will support my statement after some of the haters tell me why he wont be....

for starters many of the haters like to point to Keyshawn and say he will still his numbers

and another is that they say Steve cant produce a season like that again...

i will give you this...Keyshawn will garner some stats and it is hard to repeat a season like Steve Smith

had last yr...

have at it...i will be back later with my retort :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What else is there to say? You're right. :D

from the bust thread(this is what prompted this post):

QBs- Brunell, Grossman, big name= Brees.

RBs- JJ, Jamal, Barlow, big names= Edge, DD

WRs- Jurevicius, McCardell, big name= R. Moss

TEs- Watson

Biggest Bust = Steve Smith. He will not even get close to those stats this year. I just can't see him putting up those stats with Keyshawn there.

Colbert only put up 282 yards and was never a reliable target for Delhomme. Keyshawn should get about 650 yards and 5 TDs.

For some reason people watched the Seahawks game and decided that now every team will be able to stop Smith. The Seahawks were successful only because they had no RB left, and no WR to step up and help out at all!

Believe me, they have specific plays that WILL continue to work and Smith will get his touches this year. He might not have the season he had last year, but 90, 1200 yds and 10 TD's is probably worst case for him. Delhomme loves Smith and isn't afraid to take chances with him.

I can only say this. What you are seeing on the field when Steve Smith plays is NOT an illusion. Anybody that can doubt him after the way he carved up the Bears in the playoffs last season just isn't right in the head. Delhomme completed lots of passes that were not to Steve Smith last year. That number won't change much. Smith will still be the star of the show. They will still get the ball in his hands at every opportunity. He will still be atop the leader board for receivers when December rolls around.

I think some fantasy players think too much instead of just believing what they have seen. Smith is the best in the league. Nothing has changed except that he might face slightly less double coverage which only makes him more dangerous.

Edited by rattsass

Keyshawn is irrelevant.

Not exactly.

But no, he's not going to negatively affect Smith's numbers. If anything, he may cause them to improve.

Keyshawn has and always will be a possession receiver. He's no big-play threat anymore. So Keyshawn will keep the chains moving, giving the Panther more opportunities to score. And since we all know who the biggest TD threat is on this team, it can only mean good things for him and the rest of the Panther offense.

Edit: Oops, looks like michaelredd beat me to several of my points...

Edited by darin3

Smith will have a productive season, but it's unlikely that he'll repeat last season's numbers unless all of Carolina's halfbacks go down with injuries again.

Back in '03, Mush-head had 54 receptions for 837 yds and 3 TDs. I'd expect MeShawn to put up numbers similar to that and I'm betting that Smith ends up with around 1,200 yds and 9 TDs.

Smith will have a productive season, but it's unlikely that he'll repeat last season's numbers unless all of Carolina's halfbacks go down with injuries again.

Back in '03, Mush-head had 54 receptions for 837 yds and 3 TDs. I'd expect MeShawn to put up numbers similar to that and I'm betting that Smith ends up with around 1,200 yds and 9 TDs.

and in 2004 Mushin had 93 catches for 1405 yards with 16 TDs

and in 2004 the #2 WR was Colbert and he posted 47 catches for 754 yards with 5 TDs

in 2004 davis was injured after 2 games with just 92 yards

foster in 2004 put up 879 yrds rushing

goings in 2004 put up 821 rushing and 394 recvng

so in 2004 those 3 RBs basically filled the #1 RB spot put up a combined

1792 yards rushing and 502 yards recvng(foster 76/davis 32)

and Colbert put up 47/754/5 recvng

BUT in 2006 Steve Smith can't repeat because they added Keyshawn and all the RBs will have to be injured for it to happen again?? color me perplexed :D

unless you are saying that Mushin is/was a better WR then Steve Smith is?

or is it that you expect Keyshaw to net around 1000+ yards(something he hasnt done since i think his 1st yr in TB)

& Foster/Williams to rush for over 2000 yrds combined and toss in around 500-600 yrds recvng too?

again I think people are putting to much stock into the keyshawn factor

but hey that is my opinion

oh and dont take it personal swerski, you just hit the nail on the head for the naysayers is all

Edited by keggerz

and for the naysayers that he cant do that again...just look at what Steve Smith has done over his last 32 games(yes that is the equivalent of 2 seasons :D )

here are his stats since 2003 from the last 12 weeks of the season when he basically showed he was for real

Excluding 2004 due to the broken bone in his 1st game!

Year.........Games.........Catches........Yards.........TDs.........Games w/out TD

2003..........12.................79............979............6................6

05Playoffs....4.................36............466............5.................1

Totals.........32...............214..........3008..........24................15

so 32 games is the equivalent to 2 seasons and smith has avgd what would be

107catches/yr for 2yrs

1504yrds/yr for 2yrs

12 TDs/yr for 2yrs

and he scores atleast ONE TD in 53.13% of all games he plays in

i am not gonna do any more homework but I think it will be pretty hard to find

many more samples like the 32 games above

and if anyone just wants to use the 2003 and 2005 seasons as a sample

191 catches avg 95.5/yr

2673yrds avg 1336.5/yr

20Tds avg 10/yr

scored in an avg of 68.75% of games

Edited by keggerz

I think Smith is a great reciever, but I'm not going to say he is one of the most explosive WRs ever, or one of the greatest to play right now. He has had one massive season, partily because Jake Delhomme has tunnel vision when it comes to WRs.

Look back to Muhsin Muhammad in 2004 - 16 TDs, 1405 yards. Delhomme only looks at one target and throws it to them. Keyshawn won't take away stats because Jake will never look his direction; the ratio to the number 1 to the other WRs is horrible for him. 103 of Jake's 262 completions were to Smith.

Yes, Smith will have a good year just because Delhomme doesn't really care to complete it to someone else, eventually Keyshawn won't be too happy. The way to stop Smith is to get pressure on Delhomme because he likes to throw the ball erraticlly into coverage sometimes.

As far as being the best WR in the game, I think we should back off that claim right now. The people out there like Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, and Randy Moss are still out there, and the list can go on.

To be honest, I do not think Smith will be the best WR in the league this year, but I can't even say who I think will be either.

Before someone gets pissy, yes I owned him in my fantasy team last year and I didn't have him ranked on my WR board this year to draft; yes, I live in South Carolina and I saw every game the Panthers played. I saw him play.

Edited by CD6405

I think Smith is a great reciever, but I'm not going to say he is one of the most explosive WRs ever, or one of the greatest to play right now. He has had one massive season, partily because Jake Delhomme has tunnel vision when it comes to WRs.

Look back to Muhsin Muhammad in 2004 - 16 TDs, 1405 yards. Delhomme only looks at one target and throws it to them. Keyshawn won't take away stats because Jake will never look his direction unless he happens; the ratio to the number 1 to the other WRs is horrible for him. 103 of Jake's 262 completions were to Smith.

Yes, Smith will have a good year just because Delhomme doesn't really care to complete it to someone else, eventually Keyshawn won't be too happy. The way to stop Smith is to get pressure on Delhomme because he likes to throw the ball erraticlly into coverage sometimes.

As far as being the best WR in the game, I think we should back off that claim right now. The people out there like Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, and Randy Moss are still out there, and the list can go on.

To be honest, I do not think Smith will be the best WR in the league this year, but I can't even say who I think will be either.

Before someone gets pissy, yes I owned him in my fantasy team last year and I didn't have him ranked on my WR board this year to draft; yes, I live in South Carolina and I saw every game the Panthers played. I saw him play.

how do the last 32 games for any of those WRs stand up to what steve has done?

yeah Marvin was great but he has taken a small step back....same with Randy due to his small but hard to ignore injuries, Chad is right up there no denying that..with TOs attitude it might take him 5 more years to get 32 games under his belt...i am not here to be combative with you but many people for the most part try to dismiss what smith does as its only been one yr and that is not true.

Edited by keggerz

I'm not denying his stats, but if you put ANY of those WR's with Jake Delhomme, they will all get those stats or above because he won't look any other direction; like I said, look back at what he made Muhsin Muhammad.

I'm not denying his stats, but if you put ANY of those WR's with Jake Delhomme, they will all get those stats or above because he won't look any other direction; like I said, look back at what he made Muhsin Muhammad.

yeah but thats like saying if WR X played with Peyton Manning, or IF Freddie Mitchell Played with Delhomme :D

...and as for consistency....

6 games last year of 65 yards or less, but 9 with over 100 and they were all spread a part for the most part. It seemed as if teams started to figure him out towards the end of the season. In his last 6 games, he only had 2 100 yard games. 55, 65, 85, 18 were his other game totals.

He was mostly hit or miss during the year, either he was giant or mediocre.

Look back to Muhsin Muhammad in 2004 - 16 TDs, 1405 yards. Delhomme only looks at one target and throws it to them. Keyshawn won't take away stats because Jake will never look his direction; the ratio to the number 1 to the other WRs is horrible for him. 103 of Jake's 262 completions were to Smith.

Yes, Smith will have a good year just because Delhomme doesn't really care to complete it to someone else,

That's not true at all. Look back to 2003...

Smith: 88 rec, 1110 yds, 7 TDs

Muhammad: 54 rec, 837 yds, 3 TDS

Jake threw at lot of passes to Muhammad. As long as he has a decent #2 on the field, Delhomme will make use of him.