[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bret Favre still has it..

aterry1979

I think that comparison is a bit specious - just about ANY of the HoF types from back when - even up into the 80s - wouldn't stand a chance in today's NFL due to the advances in strength and speed training and nutrition - and not just at the pro level, that stuff starts in HS, sometimes earlier. The old guys might be tough, nasty b*stards, but the guys playing the game now verge on super-human in terms of speed + strength.

Well, yeah. But even if those two were, say, brought up in the Manning household in the 80's/90's and entered the NFL at the same time, I think that Marino would've been the better QB.

Then again, there's so much speculation involved when comparing players separated by three decades that it's almost pointless.

Well, yeah. But even if those two were, say, brought up in the Manning household in the 80's/90's and entered the NFL at the same time, I think that Marino would've been the better QB.

Then again, there's so much speculation involved when comparing players separated by three decades that it's almost pointless.

I don't think saying that all things being equal you think Marino would have been better is unfair or wrong, it's just a tough point to back up.

Moon is certainly one of the all-time greats, although not a top five.

And I do think Tarkenton, Jurgenson, and maybe Anderson or Tittle separated themselves from their peers in their time. That doesn't necessarily make them top 10 material. But I do think that our lists are contemporary heavy based on who we see and the style of today's game leading to improved QB stats. Plus better training and medicine equally better longevity, although Favre's durability is still noteworthy.

I think that comparison is a bit specious - just about ANY of the HoF types from back when - even up into the 80s - wouldn't stand a chance in today's NFL due to the advances in strength and speed training and nutrition - and not just at the pro level, that stuff starts in HS, sometimes earlier. The old guys might be tough, nasty b*stards, but the guys playing the game now verge on super-human in terms of speed + strength.

Yet another reason to make Favre the #1 -- you could drop him into ANY era and he'd be a successful passer. That's really difficult to dipute.

The list was responding directly to this:

None have ALL those qualifications, but I don't necessarily put too much weight on the MVPs or SB wins as far as that goes.

Well, I think there are a few things to think about in relation to Favre, SB wins, and MVPs...

1. MVPs -- If QB John Doe were the 2nd -best NFL player for 8 out of his 10 years, that's probably more impressive than somebody winning a couple of MVPs and then falling into mediocrity (:cough:kurtwarner:cough:). So, in that sense, yeah -- MVPs aren't a great measuring stick.

However, when it comes to Favre, his 3 consecutive MVPs really illustrate how he was unstoppable for a LONG period of time. No one else has done that, and that's because it's an extremely difficult feat. I mean, five straight seasons of 30+ TDs? That is being on top of your game for a LONG time without a "hiccup" year. :D

2. SB wins -- Yeah, if QB John Doe never played on a "complete" team, I can't really fault him for not winning a SuperBowl...UNLESS there's something about his leadership style that makes you wonder whether it was partly HIS fault (:cough:danmarino:cough:). Don't get me wrong; I love Marino and he's very high on my list. Unfortunately, his teammates didn't like him as much as I do, and I'm not sure that wasn't part of the reason his teams never got over the hump.

On the flip side, Favre's SB run was just quintessential HIM. He was already getting sick of the Bledsoe hype, and then most of the media starts killing him for his addiction to Vicodin. So, Favre got pissed. He boldly predicted a SB victory, his team rallied around him, and he delivered. THAT, in the opposite way that zero rings reflects on Marino, really illustrates the kind of QB Favre is.

A few things to address in this thread:

1. Brett Favre is one of my favorite non-Steeler players of all-time. His joy for the game shines through.

He is tough as nails, and plays with a ton of heart.

2. I think Favre is a great sleeper QB in fantasy football this year. I got him relatively cheap in a trade

last week. He is in a great situation, as his team will often be playing from behind, and the guy can

still sling it. With Jennings emerging, he has some weapons.

3. An all-time QB list is so difficult to do. I'll try to put everything into the equation: Winning, numbers,

Rings, etc..... Here is mine:

1. Johnny Unitas - A bit before my time, but, his numbers do the talking.

2. John Elway - I can't get over the fact that in his SB losses, he essentially took them their on his own.

Add in the way he finished his career on top, and this is where I put him.

3. Joe Montana - Probably the best clutch QB in the history of the game.

4. Dan Marino - Best pure passer of all-time. Only down here because he never got the big one. Fair ?

Maybe not, but, it does have an affect on me.

5. Brett Favre - Swiss makes some good arguments. Although I have lower than he would put him,

the guy has done it all.

6. Steve Young - In his prime, this guy was as good as any. His mobility and play-making ability were

phenomenal.

7. Peyton Manning - It's hard to judge a guy who is still playing. I will say this, if he extends his career

for several more years, AND puts his post-season struggles behind him, and gets

himself a ring or two, he will probably end up #1 on the list.

I'm not going to go further on the list, because I'm not sure where to rank the rest. A lot come to mind: Moon, Aikman, Tarkenton, Staubach, Bradshaw....................

A few things to address in this thread:

1. Brett Favre is one of my favorite non-Steeler players of all-time. His joy for the game shines through.

He is tough as nails, and plays with a ton of heart.

2. I think Favre is a great sleeper QB in fantasy football this year. I got him relatively cheap in a trade

last week. He is in a great situation, as his team will often be playing from behind, and the guy can

still sling it. With Jennings emerging, he has some weapons.

Menudo-look at SOS come playoff time.

http://www.thehuddle.com/x6/articles/dmd-eos-qb.php

Edited by Randall

How about that offensive line. No sacks. Very few hurries. :D

Pretty good pass rush in Detroit normally too. They are getting better.

Lions' Rogers kept in check

Rookie guards hold their own

By BOB McGINN

bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Sept. 24, 2006

Detroit - Shaun Rogers went on one of his patented rampages the last time the Green Bay Packers played at Ford Field and Adrian Klemm and Will Whitticker were the unlucky guards who got trampled.

Advertisement

That was Week 1 of 2005, a 17-3 loss for the Packers in which they could muster only 216 yards and Brett Favre was sacked four times.

"If you don't get him blocked you'll have no chance of success," tackle Mark Tauscher said Sunday. "We were smart. We weren't going to let him beat us. I think we did that."

The Packers triumphed, 31-24, over the Detroit Lions for many reasons, but certainly the ability of rookie guards Daryn Colledge and Tony Moll to turn aside the raging bull would be among the top five.

"With a guy like Shaun Rogers, who can just wreak havoc on your passing game, I thought the two guys did a great job," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "It's hard to speed up experience. But Jason (Spitz) and them are really going to be good players."

Rogers, 6 feet 4 1/2 inches and 340 pounds, appeared to have one hurry against the 299-pound Colledge and one hurry against the 305-pound Moll. He was credited with four tackles and, for perhaps the first time in his 10 games against Favre, failed to get him on the ground.

Tauscher said the only other defensive tackle in the league with Rogers' size and movement ability is Carolina's Kris Jenkins.

"Rogers can manhandle anyone," tackle Chad Clifton said. "We just tried to be as firm as possible. I think Colledge did a very admirable job against him today. He's a guy with a bright future."

By unofficial count, Rogers lined up near Moll on 26 plays and near Colledge on 23. He was on the sidelines for 11 snaps.

"It was tough, let me tell you," Moll said. "I felt like I established early in the game that I was there to play football and he'd have to play hard the whole time. Fortunately, he got tired and he would take himself out. I felt physically I wasn't getting pushed around and was getting the job done."

Colledge started because Spitz sat out his second straight game with a leg injury. He said there was only one occasion in which Rogers overwhelmed him physically.

"He just got underneath me physically," said Colledge. "I put myself with bad technique in a bad position and he physically did what he wanted on that play."

Colledge's mistake on that fourth-quarter incompletion was trying to block both Rogers and a blitzing linebacker at the same time.

"I feel like I'm a good player and I'm getting better every week," said Colledge, who has stabilized his standing in the organization with two competitive showings after he had major problems in three of four exhibition games.

Coach Mike McCarthy seemed almost thrilled that Favre had plenty of time against a solid front four that represents the Lions' strength.

McCarthy, however, didn't expect his rookie guards to do the impossible. He saw how Rogers abused Seattle guard Floyd Womack on opening day.

"So we helped them quite a bit," Jagodzinski said. "All game we didn't let those guys single (Rogers) up. You just can't. We really picked our plays when we left them alone with him. Those were three-step drops."

Spitz hasn't even practiced since being injured making a tackle on an interception two weeks ago. When he returns, Jagodzinski said the coaches will have to discuss whom to start. He didn't discount the possibility of Spitz also playing right guard.

"What excites me is when they're so young and you can win," he said. "I think we'll get better because of how young we are."

Having regained some of his self-confidence and a measure of respect in the locker room, Colledge isn't rocking the boat.

"I want to keep playing like it's my job, but I know Spitz is going to be back and it's his job," said Colledge. "Hopefully, I did enough to keep me in the rotation. If tomorrow I'm not, then I've got to keep working."

As for Rogers, Tauscher was just glad to get out of town.

"He really plays off momentum," said Tauscher. "If you can handle him early in the game you can have a lot of success."

This was the Packers' day. Rogers will have another chance Dec. 17 at Lambeau Field to make it the Lions' day.

I picked up and started Brett Favre this weekend, and I certainly enjoyed the production, but I think that Brett has shown over the last 4 seasons or so that his performance can be really spotty. He's capable of coming out and throwing 4 TDs, or 4 INTs anytime he steps on the field. Does he have enough protection and help to put up 250+ yards and 2-3 TDs against a quality defense? Eh, probably not on the whole, but if you can protect him against a bad D, he can still put up big numbers.