[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts-Jets

HowboutthemCowboys

I love those sort of plays :D but I wonder how they are scored for ff purposes. :D Nice effort by the Jets this week.

Well, each laterial is considered a rushing attemp by the person who catches the "pass", isn't it? According to NFL.com, the play actually when down like:

(:08) (Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short middle to L.Washington to NYJ 40 for 8 yards [D.Freeney]. Lateral to B.Smith to NYJ 37 for -3 yards. Lateral to L.Coles to IND 44 for 19 yards. Lateral to C.Pennington to IND 37 for 7 yards. Lateral to J.McCareins to IND 35 for 2 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by NYJ-B.Smith at IND 33. B.Smith to IND 37 for -4 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by NYJ-L.Coles at IND 40. L.Coles to IND 27 for 13 yards. Lateral to N.Mangold to IND 27 for no gain. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by [indianapolis]

Unless you had Washington on Coles, you didn't get much.

Did Mike Doss play? I read a rumor he's on the trading block.

Doss did play. And I wouldn't be surprised if here were on the block, given his handgun possession arrest last year and the fact that he gets hurt all of the time.

That said, they need all of the help that they can get on defense right now. I don't think that he'll be gone until the offseason.

No way do they trade Doss before the deadline.

Bob Sanders missed his second straight game with a knee injury. Doss started today next to rookie Antoine Bethea. After those three guys, they really don't have anyone that can play the position.

Today, they were also missing DT Corey Simon, starting cornerback Nick Harper, and the nickelback Marlin Jackson. Very young and inexperienced group in the secondary.

Well, each laterial is considered a rushing attemp by the person who catches the "pass", isn't it? According to NFL.com, the play actually when down like:

(:08) (Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short middle to L.Washington to NYJ 40 for 8 yards [D.Freeney]. Lateral to B.Smith to NYJ 37 for -3 yards. Lateral to L.Coles to IND 44 for 19 yards. Lateral to C.Pennington to IND 37 for 7 yards. Lateral to J.McCareins to IND 35 for 2 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by NYJ-B.Smith at IND 33. B.Smith to IND 37 for -4 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by NYJ-L.Coles at IND 40. L.Coles to IND 27 for 13 yards. Lateral to N.Mangold to IND 27 for no gain. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by [indianapolis]

Unless you had Washington on Coles, you didn't get much.

Can someone help me out? According to the rule book on NFL.com inside of 2 minutes when an offensive team fumbles the ball only the person who fumbles it can recover it and advance it. If anyone else on the offense recovers the fumble it is dead at that spot, unless it is fumbled forward then it goes back to the spot of the fumble. I haven't heard anyone mention this rule and I just wondered if there was an exception somewhere I didn't know about.

Can someone help me out? According to the rule book on NFL.com inside of 2 minutes when an offensive team fumbles the ball only the person who fumbles it can recover it and advance it. If anyone else on the offense recovers the fumble it is dead at that spot, unless it is fumbled forward then it goes back to the spot of the fumble. I haven't heard anyone mention this rule and I just wondered if there was an exception somewhere I didn't know about.

A result of the Raiders "Holy Roller" play.

I believe that rule applies if the ball is fumbled forward; a backward fumble can be recovered by a teammate and advanced.

A result of the Raiders "Holy Roller" play.

I believe that rule applies if the ball is fumbled forward; a backward fumble can be recovered by a teammate and advanced.

4. On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.

I copy and pasted this from nfl.com. If the ball is fumbled backward it is dead at spot of recovery, if fumbled forward it is dead at spot of fumble. It does say on a play from scrimmage. I'm not sure what that means. Is it no longer a play from scrimmage if it has been lateraled a few times before the fumble?

Is it no longer a play from scrimmage if it has been lateraled a few times before the fumble?

No, a play from scrimmage is any play that originates at the "line of scrimmage".

I would think that encompasses every play with the possible exception of a kick-off.

No, a play from scrimmage is any play that originates at the "line of scrimmage".

I would think that encompasses every play with the possible exception of a kick-off.

I agree with you. I haven't heard anybody mention this nationally on the highlights. Has anyone else?