[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computers have Rutgers ranked #2 and #3

keggerz

thats what barry alvarez just said...so now can someone explain to me why if they go undefeated they shouldnt play for the NC? The COMPUTERs(5 i think alvarez said, have rutgers ranked 2 and 3) but their rank is #6...seems there must be some human bias at work

About the only argument against RU in the NC game is their schedule - but if they down a good Pitt team, a top 5 Louisville team and a top ten WVU team, that gives them 3 quality wins about as good as anyone short of Ohio State (if they beat UM).

About the only argument against RU in the NC game is their schedule - but if they down a good Pitt team, a top 5 Louisville team and a top ten WVU team, that gives them 3 quality wins about as good as anyone short of Ohio State (if they beat UM).

but isnt their schedule and quality of wins what the computer uses :D

Even OSU WOULD have(assuming they beat UM) only two quality wins, Texas and Mich., other than that they played a VERY weak out of conference schedule(again outside of TX) and beat up on the rest of the rest of a weak Big 10(they don't even play Wisc.)

Does that mean Michigan State is a quality win for OSU, since they hammered Pitt at Pitt?

Even OSU WOULD have(assuming they beat UM) only two quality wins, Texas and Mich., other than that they played a VERY weak out of conference schedule(again outside of TX) and beat up on the rest of the rest of a weak Big 10(they don't even play Wisc.)

Truly misguided :D

Very weak EXCEPT for Texas :D Name any Big East team that's played a better team out of conference...............waiting..............waiting.

The Big Ten has as much front end power, if not much more in their top three, then ANY conference in the country. Name a conference with 3 better teams................waiting .....................waiting.

What a dumbass.

thats what barry alvarez just said...so now can someone explain to me why if they go undefeated they shouldnt play for the NC? The COMPUTERs(5 i think alvarez said, have rutgers ranked 2 and 3) but their rank is #6...seems there must be some human bias at work

After this past weekend I'm ready to give my support to Rutgers for a shot in the NC game IF they win out. However that's a REALLY BIG IF. See where Rutgers is only a 6 point favored this week against the powerhouse Cincinnati Bearcats. Wow, Big East must be a tough conference top to bottom. :D

The Big Ten has as much front end power, if not much more in their top three, then ANY conference in the country. Name a conference with 3 better teams................waiting .....................waiting.

What a dumbass.

The Big 10 has two very good teams. The rest of the conference is below average. The SEC is a lot deeper and stronger than the Big 10. What I dont understand about Ohio St. is how this year they didnt play Wisconsin and the year they went to the NC against Miami they didnt play a very good Iowa team. I guess the Big 10 is just too tough to play Michigan & Wisconsin :D

On the other side of Rutgers being #2 in the computers, Ohio St. is #3 so Id like to see how the computers put out their rankings. Ohio St. does have on paper a very weak schedule and when Michigan spanked the #5 BCS team, I guess I can see how they came up with that.

After this past weekend I'm ready to give my support to Rutgers for a shot in the NC game IF they win out. However that's a REALLY BIG IF. See where Rutgers is only a 6 point favored this week against the powerhouse Cincinnati Bearcats. Wow, Big East must be a tough conference top to bottom. :D

i am not an RU alum or backer for that matter i just want to see Cinderella turn the BCS on its ear

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/15998033.htm

Bowl Championship Series Standings

Harris Poll USA Today Computer Rankings BCS

TEAM RK PTS % RK PTS % A&H RB CM KM JS PW % COMP AVG Prvs

1 Ohio State 1 2800 1.0000 1 1574 .9994 24 25 23 20 23 23 .930 3 .9765 1

2 Michigan 2 2688 .9600 2 1513 .9606 25 24 25 25 25 25 1.000 1 .9735 2

3 USC 3 2458 .8779 4 1373 .8717 21 22 22 23 21 20 .860 4 .8699 7

4 Florida 4 2441 .8718 3 1381 .8768 22 20 21 21 18 18 .800 6 .8495 4

5 Notre Dame 5 2267 .8096 5 1273 .8083 20 19 20 22 22 22 .840 5 .8193 9

6 Rutgers 7 2024 .7229 8 1082 .6870 23 23 24 24 24 24 .950 2 .7866 13

7 Arkansas 6 2234 .7979 6 1248 .7924 18 16 15 19 17 17 .680 9 .7567 11

8 West Virginia 8 1864 .6657 7 1113 .7067 16 17 14 15 14 15 .600 11 .6575 10

9 Wisconsin 11 1678 .5993 10 928 .5892 17 21 18 17 20 19 .740 8 .6428 15

10 Louisville 10 1711 .6111 12 884 .5613 19 18 19 18 19 21 .750 7 .6408 3

11 LSU 9 1846 .6593 9 1054 .6692 12 15 12 12 12 12 .480 13 .6028 12

12 Boise State 13 1471 .5254 13 830 .5270 15 14 17 14 16 16 .610 10 .5541 14

13 Texas 12 1630 .5821 11 927 .5886 10 12 11 5 5 14 .380 16 .5169 5

14 Auburn 15 1304 .4657 15 721 .4578 13 8 13 13 13 9 .480 14 .4678 6

15 California 17 1033 .3689 17 580 .3683 14 7 16 16 15 13 .580 12 .4391 8

Key Team percentages are derived by dividing a team's actual voting points by a maximum 2,850 possible points in the Harris Interactive Poll and 1,575 possible points in the USA Today Coaches Poll. Six computer rankings calculated in inverse points order (25 for No. 1, 24 for No. 2, etc.) are used to determine the overall computer component. The highest and lowest ranking for each team is dropped, and the remaining four are added and divided by 100 (the maximum possible points) to produce a Computer Rankings Percentage.

The six computer-ranking providers are Anderson & Hester, Richard Billingsley, Colley Matrix, Kenneth Massey, Jeff Sagarin, and Peter Wolfe. Each computer ranking accounts for schedule strength in its formula.

The BCS average is calculated by averaging the percent totals of the Harris Interactive, USA Today Coaches and Computer polls.

i guess what i find funny is how it seemed like everyone was saying RU hasnt played anyone, SOS blah blah blah but yet the computers have them ranked in the top 3, so its the two HUMAN polls that keep RU from that lofty ranking to me that shows that there is a HUMAN BIAS...nothing more nothing less...those people voting cant subjectively vote with their head without looking down their nose at the BE...sorta like many of the posters here :D

i guess what i find funny is how it seemed like everyone was saying RU hasnt played anyone, SOS blah blah blah but yet the computers have them ranked in the top 3, so its the two HUMAN polls that keep RU from that lofty ranking to me that shows that there is a HUMAN BIAS...nothing more nothing less...those people voting cant subjectively vote with their head without looking down their nose at the BE...sorta like many of the posters here :D

I think it just shows you that computers and football do not go together.

No one that knows and watched college football really believes RU is a better football team than the following: on a neutral field- the entire top 15 teams would all be FAVORITES over RU except maybe WVU, UW,BSU. My point is get an effing playoff system in place- this mythical undefeated crap is getting old. I mean you are talking about a potential 1 loss USC team being a double digit favorite over a RU squad-

So many teams deserve a shot at this thing, RU may certainly be in the mix, but I think for now, BCS #6 is pretty good slot for them.

I think at this point a OSU- USC matchup is the one I want to see- and if SC does win out they will be the top 1 loss team by a mile............- they deserve the NC without question with that schedule and one hiccup. I mean how can you deny a potential 1 loss USC team with wins over Ark, Neb, Cal, ND, OU, - you simply can't.

Thank goodness for the computer rankings. At least they are suppose to be objective. Gives more teams a chance versus the big media market teams who seem to always get the benefit of the doubt in the human polls. Now if it were up to me I would let the bookmakers in Vegas select the top two teams. :D

Very weak EXCEPT for Texas :D Name any Big East team that's played a better team out of conference...............waiting..............waiting.

What a dumbass.

and of course you're not biased right? I'm a dumbass? have you watched a single college game this year other than OSU games? I am definately NOT a B.E. homer, but if OSU loses to Michigan then Rutgers(assuming they beat WVU) should surely leapfrog them because they will have beaten more top 10 teams than the Bucks. The great thing about college football is the shortsighted, completely biased fans like you. Enjoy your overrated team that, by your own admission, is running off of what they did LAST year 'cuz they haven't beaten a quality team this year(other than Texas who is now looking not so good without super-freshman Colt McCoy).

The Big 10 has two very good teams. The rest of the conference is below average. The SEC is a lot deeper and stronger than the Big 10. What I dont understand about Ohio St. is how this year they didnt play Wisconsin and the year they went to the NC against Miami they didnt play a very good Iowa team. I guess the Big 10 is just too tough to play Michigan & Wisconsin

Funny how when the Big Ten has a strong year where UM and OSU take a couple hits vs UW or Iowa or whomever the Big Ten is a joke with no worthy team, but when the $EC is in the same situation, where conference depth makes the road all but impossible for a team to go undefeated, it's a GOOD thing and should be rewarded.

UM and OSU are CLEARLY a cut above the rest of the Big Ten this year, no doubt on that. I think Wisconsin is legitimately one of the better teams in the nation, and Penn State will probably demolish whomever they face in a lower tier bowl. But yeah, the rest of the conference is pretty bad this year - Walker's death crushed NU, especially during a rebuilding year; Iowa and Purdue are both solid programs who are uncharacteristically uncompetitive this year; Minnesota is a notch below the Hawks and Boilers as a program but just fell apart this year as well; MSU just fell apart after that ND game - John Smith is a good man but appears to simply be out of his league; Illinois and Indiana both showed a pulse after being down for some time but are at least a couple years away in both cases.

I think the Big Ten will be back in it's normal position next year with quality depth of competition, but this year was just a down one.

Funny how when the Big Ten has a strong year where UM and OSU take a couple hits vs UW or Iowa or whomever the Big Ten is a joke with no worthy team, but when the $EC is in the same situation, where conference depth makes the road all but impossible for a team to go undefeated, it's a GOOD thing and should be rewarded.

I'm not sure I followed you there but all my point was is that after OSU and Michigan, the Big 10 is not very good. After UF and Arkansas, the SEC still has Tennessee, Auburn, and LSU. I agree the top 2 teams in the Big 10 are probably better than the Top 2 teams in the SEC. But the 3rd best team in the Big 10 is Wisconsin and somewhow OSU dodged them just like they did Iowa in 2002 when Iowa was 11-1 in regular season and 8-0 in the Big 10.

UM and OSU are CLEARLY a cut above the rest of the Big Ten this year, no doubt on that. I think Wisconsin is legitimately one of the better teams in the nation, and Penn State will probably demolish whomever they face in a lower tier bowl. But yeah, the rest of the conference is pretty bad this year - Walker's death crushed NU, especially during a rebuilding year; Iowa and Purdue are both solid programs who are uncharacteristically uncompetitive this year; Minnesota is a notch below the Hawks and Boilers as a program but just fell apart this year as well; MSU just fell apart after that ND game - John Smith is a good man but appears to simply be out of his league; Illinois and Indiana both showed a pulse after being down for some time but are at least a couple years away in both cases.

I think the Big Ten will be back in it's normal position next year with quality depth of competition, but this year was just a down one.

This is the most dead on statement in this forum all year. :D

It IS a down year in the Big 10....overall. However....UM and OSU could take on anyone in the country and probably win at this time. UM is successful this year by virtue of having most of their decent starters back from last year....and OSU had some VERY deep recruiting the past couple years.

The Big Ten had 9 teams with 1st year/Freshmen QBs last year....UM and OSU were the only 2 teams with 3rd year starting QBs this year. And 2 pretty good ones at that.

I don't want to come off sounding like a homer here.....true, I've lived here most my life and have some definite connections with OSU....though I'm not an Alum. And while I'm a fan....I don't bleed Scarlet and Grey like some of the diehard/hardcore fans around here (here meaning Columbus...not the Huddle...lol).

So objectively speaking....I do think the down year in the Big Ten helped both teams somewhat (recordwise)....but I also think OSU would still be sitting at 11-0 if the conference had had a strong year. UM might have had a tougher time of it. That 7-5 team doesn't suddenly get that good, IMO. It was a blast watching Mich beat down ND....then again, I didn't think ND was all that good....I still don't.

And while everyone is touting Michigan's Defense....that defense isn't nearly as good as I've seen Michigan put forth in the past. There are some definite chinks in that armor.....you'll see it Saturday. Last year's OSU D was a solid hitting group...bend, don't break....big time tackles for a loss. But amazingly, they only had 6 INTs on the year. This squad already has 21 INTs....and Henne has a tendancy to throw a second late.

That Rutgers/Louisville game was GREAT! No doubt about it....and it would really be hard to leave Rutgers out of the NC if they run the table and beat WVa in their last week. I'd have to say they deserve to be there. But....I think they'll get crushed.....sorry to say. They've got a terrific coach....and he may keep them in it. But as far as I'm concerned....this weekend's OSU/Mich game IS the NC. It certainly feels like it this year.

Go Bucks! :D

What a dumbass.

Agreed. Big Ten football is the best in the nation. The SEC is overrated.