[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MNF hits a new low...literally.

LooGie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to Desperate Housewives... but MNF is losing the two-tuner showdown every week. I usually put the game on and start doing something else, playing with the boy or working on my laptop.

Eventually, my tuner reminds me that Everybody Hates Chris, How I Met Your Mother, and Heroes are coming up and do I want to stay on MNF, or change the channel. For the past two weeks I haven't even noticed that the game wasn't on, because I've been so disinterested in the game and the MNF show.

Yeah, DVR has really changed the way I watch monday night especially. I go ahead and DVR both MNF and Heroes. Start MNF a little late after doing other stuff, then at halftime, I switch over to Heroes, use the FFW option through commercials, and then pop back over to MNF, rewind if it looks like anything interesting happened (scoring), or just keep watching. You can get through Heroes in 40 min, 20 of which is the halftime show...

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I siriusly (pun intended) will be dragging my car reciever into the house and pausing the tivo for 22 seconds so it syncs perfectly with Westwood 1, and then mute my HDTV baby.

Then, I'm going to write a script that actually integrates with my TV and removes the booth shots with a slow mo of LT busting a femur. "Which Femur?" you may ask...well I'm not telling. :D

To put things into perspective with this whole "low ratings" fiasco, here are some comparisons for other TV shows watched and the ratings they received:

Rankings for the top 15 programs on cable networks as compiled by Nielsen Media Research for the week of Nov. 6-12. Day and start time (EDT) are in parentheses.

1. NFL Football: Oakland vs. Seattle (Monday, 8:30 p.m.), ESPN, 7.58 million homes, 9.94 million viewers.

2. Movie: "SpongeBob the Movie" (Friday, 8 p.m.), Nickelodeon, 4.71 million homes, 7.3 million viewers.

3. College Football: Louisville vs. Rutgers (Thursday, 7:30 p.m.), ESPN, 4.64 million homes, 6.24 million viewers.

4. Movie: "SpongeBob the Movie" (Saturday, 10 a.m.), Nickelodeon, 4.56 million homes, 6.15 million viewers.

5. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Friday, 7:30 p.m.), Nickelodeon, 4.35 million homes, 6.65 million viewers.

6. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Saturday, 11:30 a.m.), Nickelodeon, 3.86 million homes, 5.07 million viewers.

7. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Friday, 7 p.m.), Nickelodeon, 3.83 million homes, 5.7 million viewers.

8. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Friday, 9:30 p.m.), Nickelodeon, 3.79 million homes, 5.43 million viewers.

9. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Friday, 6:30 p.m.), Nickelodeon, 3.73 million homes, 5.56 million viewers.

10. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Saturday, 9:30 a.m.), Nickelodeon, 3.7 million homes, 4.84 million viewers.

11. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Friday, 6 p.m.), Nickelodeon, 3.62 million homes, 5.47 million viewers.

12. "WWE Raw" (Monday, 10 p.m.), USA, 3.49 million homes, 4.74 million viewers.

13. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Friday, 5:30 p.m.), Nickelodeon, 3.43 million homes, 5 million viewers.

14. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Friday, 5 p.m.), Nickelodeon, 3.41 million homes, 4.91 million viewers.

15. "WWE Raw" (Monday, 9 p.m.), USA, 3.33 million homes, 4.72 million viewers.

:D

So it seems to me that MNF is still receiving some pretty high viewer ratings. :D

At least in retrospect to other "highly watched programs"

To put things into perspective with this whole "low ratings" fiasco, here are some comparisons for other TV shows watched and the ratings they received:

:bash:

So it seems to me that MNF is still receiving some pretty high viewer ratings. :D

At least in retrospect to other "highly watched programs"

oh how nice. it beat out Spongebob...:D what a joke.

oh how nice. it beat out Spongebob...:D what a joke.

Don't forget it is by far the top program on cable, every week. This is despite, rather than because of, the presentation, the announcers, the half time idiots. The football itself is still a winner in terms of cable.

Don't forget it is by far the top program on cable, every week. This is despite, rather than because of, the presentation, the announcers, the half time idiots. The football itself is still a winner in terms of cable.

oh i know that. (I wasn't trying to be rude either Grunt. As i re-read, it seemed as though i was being rude to you, and not ESPN...sorry)

Of course it's despite of..but what you're missing, is it's going down in ratings. It's a joke compared to primetime football, and this is MNF we're talking about. People aren't going to be able to put up with it much longer. Of course it will always be the highest rated program on cable, but so what? That's like beating up your grandmother. Sure, you won...but :D

It's a joke compared to primetime football, and this is MNF we're talking about.

This points out the most important issue IMO. I can't recall if during the previous years we have seen as many exciting Primetime football games that are as competitively matched as this years are, but I really like the idea for have open-ended timetables for which Sunday matchup will play during Primetime. Not only is it more incentive for the high-profile teams to play harder and get into the spotlight more often (not like they won't try to win games if this didn't happen, but it's a 'reward' worth aiming for), but it also offers the viewers the chance to watch more exciting football when we're more likely to have time to watch a full game.

This was mentioned earlier I believe, but maybe the NFL should try and adopt a similar policy like this with Monday Night games. Granted, I think it's just as important to give the previous years playoff and Superbowl teams a guaranteed spot or two for MNF games, but if it could somehow be worked into where only the current years more exciting matchups also made it into the Monday game(s), then it would definitely make for a more interesting watch-to-the-finish type of MNF game.

In terms of cable TV vs. MNF, yeah, it's obvious I'd rather watch a horrible Oakland vs. some other poor playing team over another boring cable program. But like you said, this is MNF we're talking about. It's supposed to be one of the top matchups of the week.

Of course it will always be the highest rated program on cable, but so what? That's like beating up your grandmother. Sure, you won...but :D

Replace it with something else and the cost of the ad space goes down. To be honest, I don't know if ESPN makes a $$$ profit from MNF or not (actually, I seriously doubt they do) but for darn sure they can afford it and having live football on your station is worth a lot in terms of prestige, being able to showcase other rubbish the audience might watch and so on.

Anyway, it provides me with a fifth game to watch and what could be wrong with that? :D I'd rather have MNF than nothing (but note my previous post about the techniques needed to actually watch). :bash:

Replace it with something else and the cost of the ad space goes down. To be honest, I don't know if ESPN makes a $$$ profit from MNF or not (actually, I seriously doubt they do) but for darn sure they can afford it and having live football on your station is worth a lot in terms of prestige, being able to showcase other rubbish the audience might watch and so on.

Turn Boomer and Marv Albert up on the radio.

And there are very few instances where the 18-52 year old American male has an attention span captured on TV channels anymore. Advertisers pay through the nose for the opportunity to stick stuff during the MNF broadcast.

Not to mention Disney's cross-marketing of movies, television, music, and whatever else they trot people out to push in the booth.