[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Irvin is Incredibly Stupid

MikesVikes

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good info. I'm glad the coach did something try and show them they were wrong, but that should have come from the older black guys. Groups need to start policing themselves. I agree with the Politically Correct crap also. I'm a Black guy or an American, period, just don't call me for helmet to helmet. :D

Oh, believe me, the older guys got in the young guys' faces every day and did some :D.

Maybe the coach is an older black guy. :D

He was. 43 at the time. The GM/center was 39, and also prone to gettting on the young dudes.

And my holder at the time, Donnie -- now the head coach, who has also banned the N-word -- was 42, and had a funny yet disturbing story about when he was a kid growing up in Norfolk, VA in the late 60's. His dad was in the Navy (as everyone's dad was if you lived in Norfolk), and one day, when Donnie was maybe 6 or 7, he was swimming at a public (for Navy folks, anyway) pool where all the families went just about every day in the summer. He walked past a little white girl, 5 or 6 yrs old, sitting in a puddle of water, splashing around. As he passed, she looked up at him and, without provocation, said, "My daddy said never play with no n***ers."

Donnie said that even as a 7-year old, he thought, "Little girl, first of all, I don't want to play with you either. I was just walking by to go get a drink of water. And second, I wonder how your daddy would feel about this particular n***er if he drowned you in that little puddle of yours." :bash:

You have to know Donnie and hear him tell the story in his southern drawl to hear just how f'n funny it sounded coming from him. But it's also kinda sick that a six year old girl can already have those thoughts drilled into her. Way to go, prejudiced parents of America! Keep the new generations of knuckleheads comin'! :D

Edited by msaint

He was. 43 at the time. The GM/center was 39, and also prone to gettting on the young dudes.

And my holder at the time, Donnie -- now the head coach, who has also banned the N-word -- was 42, and had a funny yet disturbing story about when he was a kid growing up in Norfolk, VA in the late 60's. His dad was in the Navy (as everyone's dad was if you lived in Norfolk), and one day, when Donnie was maybe 6 or 7, he was swimming at a public (for Navy folks, anyway) pool where all the families went just about every day in the summer. He walked past a little white girl, 5 or 6 yrs old, sitting in a puddle of water, splashing around. As he passed, she looked up at him and, without provocation, said, "My daddy said never play with no n***ers."

Donnie said that even as a 7-year old, he thought, "Little girl, first of all, I don't want to play with you either. I was just walking by to go get a drink of water. And second, I wonder how your daddy would feel about this particular n***er if he drowned you in that little puddle of yours." :D

You have to know Donnie and hear him tell the story in his southern drawl to hear just how f'n funny it sounded coming from him. But it's also kinda sick that a six year old girl can already have those thoughts drilled into her. Way to go, prejudiced parents of America! Keep the new generations of knuckleheads comin'! :D

Man that is truly sad. Sounds so very familiar. My dad was in the Air Force and we moved to an all white town in 1967 as he was stationed as a recruiter. It took him 2 months to find a place that would rent to him after calling the commander and telling him he could not find a place to live. My dad told me the landlord or owner of the house or condo would tell him he had rented the place while the For Rent sign stood in the lawn or on the door. When he got home he would call and the same landlord would offer to show him the place he just saw and said it was still available. After finally finding a place he save 40k to buy a house that cost 70k. His friend, who moved into the same condos, at the same time in 1967, got a loan to by 160 acres with nothing down and a part time job for farmers in the area. He was white. My dad, well even with his 40k and a steady, well paying job, and perfect credit could not get a loan of 30k to purchase the house until a private stepped up and helped get a mortgage broker to get him the loan. Once in the house he planned to build a new house on 5 acres 7 years later. By then he had saved 80% of the house cost. Now 10 years later, I was 8 years old and he still could not find the 20% financing to get a construction loan to finish the house until his friend, the same one who now had over 300 acres of financed property, helped out with the GC to get it done. As a kid watching my dad sit outside smoking with that look on his face of frustration, just made me so angry. All he wanted to do was provide for us and every time he tried to do things for us the right way, he was kicked in the nuts for the color of his skin. How he didn't hurt someone is beyond me. I will never forget the times he would go out to the garage and yell at the walls and my mom would go out to try and calm him down. He use to yell, I'm trying Lord, I'm trying but they just won't stop trying to break us.

The sick part of the whole thing is that when we sold the first house, the new owners were white and our two families got along great. We had land, ponies and motorcycles so me and the new owner’s sons played while the new house was being build all summer and became best friends. I taught him how to ride, showed him the town and played in the creek all summer with the rest of the small band of kids in the area. Then school started and everything changed. My best friend, whom I played with all summer had changed as a result of peer pressure and before I knew it he had followed me to the drinking fountain and told me these exact words. "What do I have to do to fight you", as he looked over his shoulder to look at the group of kids behind him. A voice from the group yelled out, call him a Ni...er. He proceeds to do so and I looked at him with a look that must have told walk away or how disgusted I was, and he turned and walked away. But before he did, he said, who wants to fight a ni..er anyway. I learned the hard way in grammar school if I was going to fight it better be one or two on one and never in the school yard, because I would end up fighting 20 kids, especially if I was winning. I just could not understand what happened to him and how he could do what he did. We hated each other for the rest of our school days. I saw the same guy just about 3 years ago. We had a long talk and reminisced over that summer fun we had together. He didn't know what to say and stayed away from the bad parts. I let him. He wanted to forget what happened and expected me to also. I couldn't and neither could he. We still drank beer together with the other old classmates but the pain of history still stings both of us.

This is the whole point of this thread. History is painful and no matter how much we try to ignore it, the memories are still strong. The one thing you will always remember about people is this, how they made you feel. That is why it is so important to make positive impressions on people who don't know you or have never been in contact with someone different then them. Black people have just as much to do with racism as whites. It is a huge burden that both races must carry but the rewards are great if everyone carries their share and avoids the big mistake of creating lasting negative memories.

This story is not novel by any stretch of the imagination and is exactly why some minorities can never get over it and stay bitter all their lives. I am so thankful that my Mom raised me to be a social being and try to understand the bigot rather then hate them. Understanding what happened to bigots and why they are the way they are helps to avoid creating future ones.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Cowboyz, your description of your dad's inability to get a mortgage is not unique at all----in fact, when the FHA was set up and basically started allowing people to only have to put up a 20% downpayment, it was initially set up to not give loans to people who wanted to buy in predominantly black neighborhoods. (i.e. the practice of redlining was actually sanctioned by the government)

As for your "friend", it seems like you are holding a 30 year grudge against an 8 year-old--that can't be healthy for your soul.

As for your "friend", it seems like you are holding a 30 year grudge against an 8 year-old--that can't be healthy for your soul.

Wouldn't be so bad if it were an isolated incident, but that's life when your skin is brown. After 30 years it gets kind of old. I am sure the same thing happens to white guys too when they are in the minority, but they can find away to eventually get away from it if they choose. It is slowly changing though and that's encouraging.