[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cutler to start the rest of yr

crispirons

To me this is the point. Cutler is the future. You are not going anywhere in the grand scheme of things with Jake this season anyway. So with that said why not start the future now. Now could you sneak into the playoffs with Jake and lose in the 1st round? Yes. Will you maybe be jepordizing that with Cutler? Maybe who knows, but even if you are so what. WHO cares about an early playoff loss anyway. Might as well start the future now in that case.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad. He was a 2nd year player who had 3 NFL pass attempts on his resume.

I stand corrected. Thanks for picking up on that.

You're welcome. And despite what you may think, young QBs are much more ready to play after spending a full year learning their team's offense and adjusting to the speed of the NFL.

You're welcome. And despite what you may think, young QBs are much more ready to play after spending a full year learning their team's offense and adjusting to the speed of the NFL.

well, it's tough to "adjust to the speed of the NFL" playing against the scout-team defense in practice. i expect there to be a learning curve with cutler, as there is with all NFL QBs. but i believe the learning curve is faster when the QB is actually playing. which, if nothing else, just means cutler will be a better QB at the start of next season for having played some this season.

but really i think the bottom line here is, for all this talk about rookie QBs being ready or whatever, it's going to be really hard for jay cutler to play any worse than plummer was. they were already trying to protect jake's weaknesses in the gameplans, not asking him to make a lot of complex reads or difficult throws. they can dumb it down just as easy with the rookie.

will cutler come in and suddenly the offense is top 10 in the league? i seriously doubt it. nobody really expects that this year. but even if he has major struggles, the step down from plummer's play can't possibly be a big one. that's why this decision is a no-brainer at this point.

I generally agree with that, but I would argue that Cutler playing against SEC Ds with the comparable talent level he had surrounding him at Vanderbilt would give him very good experience at disguised coverages and very tight windows to throw the ball into. There's only 1 way to know, of course, and we're about to see the results on Sunday night.

I generally agree with that, but I would argue that Cutler playing against SEC Ds with the comparable talent level he had surrounding him at Vanderbilt would give him very good experience at disguised coverages and very tight windows to throw the ball into. There's only 1 way to know, of course, and we're about to see the results on Sunday night.

Don't forget to add that he played with very little talent at Vandy which means even a tighter window to throw the ball into and a smaller margin of error.

IMO, if Cutler has shown one thing in his preseason duty it's that he's a much more formidable pocket passer than the Snake ever has been.

As a result I wouldn't be surprised to see more involvement by the TEs which should make things easier on the edges for Walker and Smith.

We'll see. Also he doesn't face what can be considered by any measure a murderer's row of opposing Ds... SEA, @SD, @ARZ, CIN and SF.

Don't forget to add that he played with very little talent at Vandy which means even a tighter window to throw the ball into and a smaller margin of error.

I didn't forget.

well, it's tough to "adjust to the speed of the NFL" playing against the scout-team defense in practice. i expect there to be a learning curve with cutler, as there is with all NFL QBs. but i believe the learning curve is faster when the QB is actually playing. which, if nothing else, just means cutler will be a better QB at the start of next season for having played some this season.

NFL scout-team defenses are much closer to the real thing than the garbage Cutler faced in college. Having time to learn the playbook and practice the routes (even with the scout team) is also a huge bonus.

but really i think the bottom line here is, for all this talk about rookie QBs being ready or whatever, it's going to be really hard for jay cutler to play any worse than plummer was... will cutler come in and suddenly the offense is top 10 in the league? i seriously doubt it. nobody really expects that this year. but even if he has major struggles, the step down from plummer's play can't possibly be a big one. that's why this decision is a no-brainer at this point.

As bad as Jake has been this year, it can most definitely get worse. Look at how bad Alex Smith and Kyle Orton were last year.

Plummer's never been a great QB. Hell, he has only a couple of "good" seasons, but he's been halfway decent for the past three years in DEN (except for too many INTs in '04). He was never the kind of guy who could put the offense on his shoulders and lead them to victory, but he was still relatively efficient in Shanahan's offense up until this season. Even considering that we're talking about Jake The Mistake, it's still a very abrupt decline. I'm wondering if there's some sort of lingering injury that's messing with his mechanics or mobility. Or perhaps he's going through some psychological issues? :D

ESPN reported last night (via Mort, I'm assuming) that Shanahan has already planned to make Cutler his starter for the rest of the season. Is this true? Unless there's some sort of injury to Jake, I find it puzzing that he'd commit to a rookie for the rest of the season not knowing hot Cutler will respond. What if Cutler throws 4 INTs and loses a fumble on Sunday?

Edited by Bill Swerski

As bad as Jake has been this year, it can most definitely get worse. Look at how bad Alex Smith and Kyle Orton were last year.

alex smith was on a terrible team. kyle orton....well, he was a much lower draft pick and more lightly regarded prospect...but the bears WERE able to win a lot of games with him, which i think just bolsters what i am saying.

NFL scout-team defenses are much closer to the real thing than the garbage Cutler faced in college. Having time to learn the playbook and practice the routes (even with the scout team) is also a huge bonus.

Plummer's never been a great QB. Hell, he has only a couple of "good" seasons, but he's been halfway decent for the past three years in DEN (except for too many INTs in '04). He was never the kind of guy who could put the offense on his shoulders and lead them to victory, but he was still relatively efficient in Shanahan's offense up until this season. Even considering that we're talking about Jake The Mistake, it's still a very abrupt decline. I'm wondering if there's some sort of lingering injury that's messing with his mechanics or mobility. Or perhaps he's going through some psychological issues? :D

ESPN reported last night (via Mort, I'm assuming) that Shanahan has already planned to make Cutler his starter for the rest of the season. Is this true? Unless there's some sort of injury to Jake, I find it puzzing that he'd commit to a rookie for the rest of the season not knowing hot Cutler will respond. What if Cutler throws 4 INTs and loses a fumble on Sunday?

I really think you are over thinking this. Jake has been awful. The team is going down quickly losing 2 straight and 3 of 5. So what is the downside here? Cutler is worse than Jake and they lose 4 of their next 5? Who cares. Even if you say to me right now with Jake they will go 10-6 and with Cutler they'll go 8-8 I say who cares. At 10-6 they are the 6 seed in Balt or SD which equals loss anyway. This way you build for next season AND there is a chance Cutler can be as good or better than Plummer as well so to me no downside here. If he stinks okay so what Plummer has stunk also. And at least you get a head start on Cutler's learning curve.

I'm in favor of this too. It's obvious the Broncos aren't winning the SB with Plummer and at this point the playoffs are even in question, so might as well give Cutler a shot. At worst, I don't think he'll be any worse than Plummer. And if this means missing the playoffs as opposed to a 1st round loss with Plummer as the QB, then who cares. I'd rather give Cutler the experience. That being said, I think this will re-energize the team and they'll get a wild card.

alex smith was on a terrible team. kyle orton....well, he was a much lower draft pick and more lightly regarded prospect...but the bears WERE able to win a lot of games with him, which i think just bolsters what i am saying.

Alex Smith had Gore, Barlow, Beasley, and Brandon Lloyd at his disposal in '05. His current team is similar, but with Beasley and Barlow gone, Larry Allen added, and Bryant replacing Lloyd. The difference in offensive talent isn't that significant, yet Smith looks like a completely different QB this year.

I'm not sure if you had the misfortune of watching Bears games last year, but Orton looked like a fish out of water. Mushin Muhammad would often yell at him on the field because Orton didn't know how to read defenses and would throw into coverage while Muhmmad was wide open. The Bears won because they ran the ball well and because they could play defense. They won DESPITE Orton.

I really think you are over thinking this. Jake has been awful.

Jake has never been a high-tier QB, but he was never THIS bad in Denver before. There's got to be something wrong with him, whether it's physical or psychological.

The team is going down quickly losing 2 straight and 3 of 5. So what is the downside here? Cutler is worse than Jake and they lose 4 of their next 5? Who cares.

Um, maybe Broncos fans, whose team is in position to snag a Wild Card berth right now? You act like they're fighting it out with the Raiders for last place or something.

I'm not sure if you had the misfortune of watching Bears games last year, but Orton looked like a fish out of water. Mushin Muhammad would often yell at him on the field because Orton didn't know how to read defenses and would throw into coverage while Muhmmad was wide open. The Bears won because they ran the ball well and because they could play defense. They won DESPITE Orton.

This very nearly describes the Broncos' season this year...

defense... check.

running game... check.

team that's winning some games despite a struggling QB... check.

early exit in the playoffs... TBD.

Jake has never been a high-tier QB, but he was never THIS bad in Denver before. There's got to be something wrong with him, whether it's physical or psychological.

Um, maybe Broncos fans, whose team is in position to snag a Wild Card berth right now? You act like they're fighting it out with the Raiders for last place or something.

I have seen a lot of Broncos fans in here for the move so that tells me something about their mindset. As for Jake maybe something is wrong but whatever it is he has been awful and deserves the bench.

exactly my point. the broncos have pretty well mastered "winning despite their QB", they've already done it 7 times this year. so chances are pretty good they can do it a few more times.

Here's a fun contest:

Find a starting QB in the NFL who is not a rookie or a Raider who has a worse passer rating than Jake Plummer. List all of them! Take your time!

Remember... they have to be a starter, and they can't be a Raider!

The winner gets to have a Plummer Rules bumper sticker.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Here's a fun contest:

Find a starting QB in the NFL who is not a rookie or a Raider who has a worse passer rating than Jake Plummer. List all of them! Take your time!

Remember... they have to be a starter, and they can't be a Raider!

The winner gets to have a Plummer Rules bumper sticker.

Big Ben?