[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bobby Petrino - Louisville Head Coach

broncosn05

Phil Simms and his son Matt can't be too happy about this, Matt just committed to Louisville during the All American Bowl this Saturday.

Also Kingfish, your lines size doesn't matter, they run a zone blocking scheme and use lighter, more athletic linemen.

it matters when you would like to do two things... 1) get 1 or 2 tough yards, or 2) effectively and consistently pass protect and move D-linemen out of the way to create passing lanes.

the drawback to zone blocking has always been pass protection. even Denver has issues there which is why they incorporate the bootleg so often. also see Houston and David Carr, there's a reason they have been in the bottom five in sacks allowed.

ATL O-line are pure zone blockers which is probably why they have so much trouble in pass protection especially when their pass system has been a hybrid of the WCO which relies on impeccable timing and clear passing lanes.

i'm not saying I'd like to see them do away with the zone blocking scheme but it can't be all you do up front or you get very one dimensional very quick.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Louisville is not a big time college program.

like it or not they are now.

they've been head and shoulders the best team in a BCS champion conference for 4 years since its reshuffling. by definition they are a big time college program.

i don't like the Big Least either but there's no denying that.

they've been head and shoulders the best team in a BCS champion conference for 4 years since its reshuffling. by definition they are a big time college program.

Louisville would get their asses handed to them by Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Florida, and most Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 10 teams. Didn't they get beat by freaking Rutgers? :D

Louisville is not a big time college football program.

Louisville would get their asses handed to them by Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Florida, and most Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 10 teams. Didn't they get beat by freaking Rutgers? :D

like i said, i don't like them and they're overhyped but when you're the best team in a conference whose champion gets an automatic BCS bid you have a big time program... it all means lots of $$$ and recruits.

i cringed when the bowl schedule came out. it's easy to go 5-0 in bowl games when your conference plays... Wake, GTech, East Carolina, Kansas State, and West Michigan. i'm sure we can expect Louisville or WV to be the "sexy" pick in the preseason to play for the national championship. :D

like i said, i don't like them and they're overhyped but when you're the best team in a conference whose champion gets an automatic BCS bid you have a big time program... it all means lots of $$$ and recruits.

Louisville is never going to have the recruiting of the REAL "big time" programs like Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Texas, Notre Dame, etc. Hell, they're not even going to have the recruiting of teams like Iowa and Oregon. And I still don't see them as big money-makers, especially when they're never going to have the players to compete in a major bowl game.

Louisville is unquestionably a big fish in a small pond, but I still disagree that they're a "big time" program.

i cringed when the bowl schedule came out. it's easy to go 5-0 in bowl games when your conference plays... Wake, GTech, East Carolina, Kansas State, and West Michigan. i'm sure we can expect Louisville or WV to be the "sexy" pick in the preseason to play for the national championship. :D

Agreed there, especially when they lose to freaking Rutgers.

For those who don't think Louisville can play with the best, consider this:

Louisville 24

Wake Forest 13

Wake Forest 30

Florida State 0

Florida State 44

UCLA 27

UCLA 13

USC 9

Seems to me that Louisville would pummel the Trojans!

+1 Probably the only team this season that could beat Louisville right now is LSU. :D

Louisville 24

Wake Forest 13

Wake Forest 30

Florida State 0

Florida State 44

UCLA 27

UCLA 13

USC 9

Is this like the Four Degrees of Separation Theory on College Football? :D

College Football Conference Rankings

Rank Conference Avg. Index Avg. SOS SOS Rank Teams

1 Big East 60.53 55.24 3 8

2 Southeastern 60.16 55.60 2 12

3 Big Ten 57.20 54.28 4 11

4 Pacific-10 56.52 56.27 1 10

5 Big 12 54.42 52.65 6 12

6 Atlantic Coast 54.01 53.67 5 12

7 Independents 53.93 49.97 7 3

8 Western Athletic 49.48 48.98 9 9

9 Mountain West 49.31 49.52 8 9

10 Conference USA 47.51 48.98 10 12

http://realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html

The Big East also beat the SEC champ last year in a BCS bowl. They will probably have 4 teams ranked in the top 25 next year. Things have changed in the Big East.

The Big East also beat the SEC champ last year in a BCS bowl. They will probably have 4 teams ranked in the top 25 next year. Things have changed in the Big East.

by SEC standards, last season was one of the worst in a long while (no team finishes with fewer than 2 losses... this has happened only once in the past 5 years).

same goes for the ACC this year.

throw away Louisville's wins versus Miami (this wasn't as great a win as it seemed when they played) and Wake (this should say something about the ACC right there... Wake Forest won the ACC... I think Haley's Comet occurs more often) and Louisville went 1-1 against all other 'quality' competition, all which was from the Big Least.

yeah the teams end with nice SOS but the teams on those schedules are a joke.

by SEC standards, last season was one of the worst in a long while (no team finishes with fewer than 2 losses... this has happened only once in the past 5 years).

throw away Louisville's wins versus Miami (this wasn't as great a win as it seemed when they played) and Wake (this should say something about the ACC right there... Wake Forest won the ACC... I think Haley's Comet occurs more often) and Louisville went 1-1 against all other 'quality' competition, all which was from the Big Least.

the SEC was a favorite to win... just like the Big East were favorites to win all their bowl games this year when they went 5-0

your excuses are very weak :D

Have you considered these scores in arguing that the SEC is the best?

Louisville 24, Wake Forest 13 (neutral site)

Wake Forest 30, Florida State 0 (at Florida State)

Florida 21, Florida State 14 (at Florida State)

Did you know that Louisville beat Kentucky by 31 points (in a game that wasn't that close), while Florida beat UK by 19 (and led by only 7 late in the second quarter)?

Louisville is never going to have the recruiting of the REAL "big time" programs like Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Texas, Notre Dame, etc. Hell, they're not even going to have the recruiting of teams like Iowa and Oregon. And I still don't see them as big money-makers, especially when they're never going to have the players to compete in a major bowl game.

Louisville is unquestionably a big fish in a small pond, but I still disagree that they're a "big time" program.

Agreed there, especially when they lose to freaking Rutgers.

You probably missed it when Rutgers destroyed Kansas State, 31-10, in the Texas Bowl just a few weeks after K State beat Texas, the defending national champ and one-time NO 2 in the country this year. Oh, by the way, Louisville, with its back-up QB, beat K St 24-6 in Manhattan in October.

Did you know that Rutgers beat Illinois, a team that lost by 7 to Ohio State, 30-0?

You probably missed it when Rutgers destroyed Kansas State, 31-10, in the Texas Bowl just a few weeks after K State beat Texas, the defending national champ and one-time NO 2 in the country this year. Oh, by the way, Louisville, with its back-up QB, beat K St 24-6 in Manhattan in October.

Did you know that Rutgers beat Illinois, a team that lost by 7 to Ohio State, 30-0?

Yes he knew that, but wanted to ignore those facts. Is Loisville a perennial top five? No. But are they a perennial top 15? Yes. And for those folks that want to talk about conferences....what conference does Boise State play in? What did they do to OU?

Louisville 24

Wake Forest 13

Wake Forest 30

Florida State 0

Florida State 44

UCLA 27

UCLA 13

USC 9

The only big time college program listed in the post above is USC.

Apparently you don't watch much college FB. Otherwise, you'd know that Illinois and Kansas State both sucked this year. You'd also know that Texas wasn't that good either, as evidenced by them almost losing to a very mediocre Iowa team in the Alamo Bowl.

Rutgers was a great story this year, but they're nothing in comparison to the big boys in college FB.

Apparently you don't watch much college FB. Otherwise, you'd know that Illinois and Kansas State both sucked this year. You'd also know that Texas wasn't that good either, as evidenced by them almost losing to a very mediocre Iowa team in the Alamo Bowl.

Rutgers was a great story this year, but they're nothing in comparison to the big boys in college FB.

Did you not say they would get beat by most of the Pac10, Big Ten and Big12 teams? Which of those teams do you mean? Most means more than half. No chance. After OSU and Michigan..that conference was terrible. Boise State beat the big 12 champ and After Usc, anyone(including Cal) is beatable in the PAC 10.

I would disagree on that - I think if Petrino had stuck it out, they could've done an FSU type thing. Fla State came from NOWHERE to become a national power. Miami as well.

It CAN be done.

Did you not say they would get beat by most of the Pac10, Big Ten and Big12 teams? Which of those teams do you mean? Most means more than half. No chance. After OSU and Michigan..that conference was terrible. Boise State beat the big 12 champ and After Usc, anyone(including Cal) is beatable in the PAC 10.

If you think that Louisville would've beaten Wisconsin or Cal, you don't have a firm grasp on reality. Both of those teams are on a completely different level.

Big 10 teams who would beat Louisville: Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa, Minnesota

Pac 10 team who would beat Louisville: USC, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington

The Big 12 was unusually bad this year, but I'm pretty sure that Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Nebraska would've taken them down.

I would disagree on that - I think if Petrino had stuck it out, they could've done an FSU type thing. Fla State came from NOWHERE to become a national power. Miami as well.

It CAN be done.

Oh, I'm not saying that it CAN'T be done, but it's very unlikely. Especially now since all of their recruiting power just bolted for Atlanta this weekend. Same thing with Utah. How'd they do without Urban Myer?