[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Raiders Coach?

Jolly Rodgers

I don't know much at all about the guy, but it's not about age or experience. If he can come in and show that he's up to the task, then what the F difference does it make how old he is or if he's been a head coach before. He grew up around coaching his whole life, so methinks he's probably made for this kind of job.

Raiders once hired the youngest coach in league history with no head-coaching experience in the NFL or College at all...

I'm pretty sure Madden turned out OK.

Not comparing them at all, but at least there's a chance that this guy can come in and do a decent job if given the chance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Madden had at least played and coached at the NFL level before.

Lane Kiffen has neither played NFL ball, coached even so much as a position in the NFL (much less been a coordinator), nor been a head coach at any level.

These are very different scenarios.

Not comparing them at all, but at least there's a chance that this guy can come in and do a decent job if given the chance.

...I for one, don't think that the players will give him that chance...

What a bizarre situation this ended up being.

First off, you get shot down by a college coordinator.. unless he's got some strong info that Carroll's out the door, that's unprecedented.

So where do you turn next? To a college QB coach. Unreal.

Reading is fundamental :D

2001-2006: USC assistant coach (offensive coordinator in 2005-06; also recruiting coordinator and receivers coach)

Kiffin was a six-year member of Pete Carroll's staff at USC. Carroll hired him to coach tight ends in 2001 after Kiffin spent the 2000 season in Jacksonville as a defensive quality control coach working with defensive backs. Kiffin switched to coaching USC wide receivers in 2002. In 2004, he took over passing game coordinator duties before being promoted to offensive coordinator in 2005. He also had recruiting coordinator responsibilities.

Davis has a long history of hiring young, offensive-minded head coaches and he particularly likes offensive play-callers. Kiffin has done that at the highest level of college football for the past few years. He's worked with top NFL draft prospects such as wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett and former Lions first-round pick Mike Williams, another wideout.

Kiffen becomes the youngest NFL head coach in the modern era. Jon Gruden, Mike Shanahan and John Madden all succeeded as Raiders head coaches in their 30s, however, as did Davis.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Raiders hire USC's Kiffin

At 31, he's Oakland's youngest head coach

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Raiders hired Lane Kiffin, the 31-year-old USC offensive coordinator, to become their head coach, the team announced Monday night.

Kiffin is the youngest head coach in franchise history, and is now the youngest head coach in the NFL. He will be introduced at a news conference today at team headquarters in Alameda, where Kiffin spent all of Monday negotiating with Raiders owner Al Davis.

"I'm extremely ready for this opportunity," Kiffin told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "The last six years (at USC) have prepared me for this. I'm extremely excited to have the chance to restore this program back to where it's been before."

Davis got exactly the type of coach he'd been seeking since firing Art Shell on Jan. 4: a young prospect with more upswing than experience, and a flair for offense.

Davis tried to hire one of Kiffin's colleagues first, but USC assistant head coach Steve Sarkisian, 32, turned down the job offer Friday. One day earlier, Kiffin interviewed for Oakland's offensive-coordinator opening, only to turn down the team's job offer for that position.

When Sarkisian stunned the Raiders by withdrawing himself from consideration in the head-coaching race, they focused their attention on Kiffin, who has no head-coaching experience.

"They felt good about him from their first interview," said one source close to the situation. "That's why it was able to move along so quickly when he came back."

Kiffin's hire ended a search that threatened to drag into February for the second straight year. The process lasted 18 days, making it the second-shortest head-coaching search of the six conducted by Oakland since 1997. Jon Gruden was hired in 16 days. Shell was picked after 38 days last year.

Now, Kiffin and the Raiders can get to work on the NFL draft, in which they hold the No. 1 overall pick after going a league-worst 2-14 last season. This weekend's Senior Bowl gives NFL teams their first look at draft prospects in one setting.

Signing Kiffin is considered to be the team's first move toward improving an offense that ranked last in the NFL.

At USC since 2001, Kiffin enjoyed enormous success working with Heisman Trophy winners Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush.

Kiffin's challenge now is to get production out of a Raiders offense that scored the fewest points in franchise history with 168, which is also the fifth-lowest total in a 16-game season by an NFL team.

Kiffin was USC's passing-offense coordinator in 2004, when Leinart won his Heisman. A former Fresno State quarterback, Kiffin will be asked to develop quarterback Andrew Walter, who struggled in the first eight starts of his career behind a porous offensive line.

Kiffin also must reconcile disgruntled wide receivers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter while bolstering an offensive line that gave up a league-high 72 sacks.

Kiffin also has been a tight-ends and wide-receivers coach under USC's Pete Carroll. The Raiders have not said if Kiffin will call the plays or if an offensive coordinator will be hired.

Former Raiders offensive coordinator Marc Trestman, 49 years old with 17 years of NFL coaching experience, has already interviewed for the position and could bring an experienced presence to the offensive staff.

Experience is the one obvious concern about Kiffin. He has one year of NFL experience as a Jacksonville Jaguars defensive quality-control coach in 2000, but he grew up around the league as the son of Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Kiffin is younger than nine players who were on last season's roster, but some think he can better relate with today's players than could Shell, 60, who struggled with the generation gap after a 12-year absence from coaching.

The Raiders have succeeded with young head coaches throughout their history, starting with Davis' arrival in 1963 as a 33-year-old. Future Hall of Fame coach John Madden was 32 when promoted to head coach in 1969. Davis also gave Jon Gruden, 34, and Mike Shanahan, 36, their first NFL head-coaching jobs, though both had prior experience as NFL offensive coordinators.

Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel were the only other candidates still in the running, but neither fit the description of what Davis wanted.

Ryan is under contract next season and is expected to be retained as defensive coordinator after putting together the NFL's top-rated pass defense last season. The rest of the staff contracts expire Feb. 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meet the new coach

Name: Lane Kiffin

Personal: Son of Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin

NFL experience: Defensive quality-control coach for Jaguars in 2000

College experience: Spent the past six seasons at USC. ... Named offensive coordinator in 2005, the year the Trojans ranked first in the nation in total offense, second in scoring, fifth in passing and sixth in rushing. In 2006, after losing Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and LenDale White, Kiffin's Trojans ranked 21st in total offense, 18th in scoring, 14th in passing and 68th in rushing. ... Was an assistant at Fresno State (1997-98) and Colorado State (1999).

College career: Played QB at Fresno State (1994-96)

Edited by Return Of S&B

Clipped this from another board..Sirrus radio interview with Monte Kiffin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monte Kiffin was just on with Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan on moving the chains - the best nfl sirius radio show -

Said Mr Davis is GOING TO ALLOW Lane to pick his offensive staff.

Said the defense with Rob Ryan is doing great things so he will not need to tinker much there at all...

...After the Sark thing where Sark took his name out from consideration...Al was very impressed with Lane during the interview process...Al called Pete Carroll and asked if they could get Lane back up for an interview...

Other tidbits from Dad:

Lane learned a lot and got his start under Jeff Tedford as a 5th year qb turned student assistant when Fresno State got David Carr as QB - Lane knew he wanted to coach so he gave up his team slot and became a student asst.

Also worked under Tom Coughlin for a year in Jax. 6 Years under Pete Carroll where Dad said he was very well prepared to become a HC.

Dad said he thought he was doing good with his career then he watches his son at 31 jump up as an HC and in SALARY...just that fast...he is very proud of his son and he is proud of his wife for her involvement in raising her son while he was spending all that time coaching...

Couple of things from Pat Kirwin;

TENACIOUS kid that will be able to get in front of older vets and motivate them to play

Said Lane knows Warren Sapp personally cause he was always at the Bucs camps while Dad was DC...

Said All the while Al was interviewing Sark for the job Sark was saying how important it was for him to have his OC in the booth and that he needed Lane Kiffin so Al says lets get the kid up here - I want to meet him...

Al was seriously impressed with Lane and while Sark was waffling and taking his name out of consideration Al was thinking about bring Lane back... Al called Pete and rest is history.

Wow, He was passed up by the Minnesota Gophers for their head coaching job and now lands a job with the Raiders....

When did the U of Minnesota ever do anything right with its football program?

I know everyone is pilling on because its the easy thing to do... but this guy reminds me of Gruden....yes he's unproven but he's young and innovative and will be able to relate to the players better than an Old School Shell ever could....translation Porter and Moss are not going anywhere

He's a much better hire than Fassel or Denny Green would be at this time for the Raiders because he has a lot more upside and Davis has a much better history spotting the young guns (Madden, Shanahan, Gruden) versus the old retreads (Shell, White, Bugel, Turner).

Edited by Return Of S&B

Like Monte said,

Al is going to let him pick his entire offensive coaching staff. And I wouldn't expect to see many bed and breakfast owners in this bunch. Look for a lot more youth on the staff.

The fact that Sapp knows Lane already is huge, as Sapp will be very helpfull in rallying the other players under him.

Al arrives at the Press conference

Anywho, when I heard this news I had no idea at all who this guy was. All I knew was what was being said here with the usual Raider hating fun: He was the CO-Offensive co-ordinator for USC who interviewed for the OC job.

Well, a day later and that hardly seemed the case at all. I listed to Kirwan, Soleman, Schien and even hard clips of Madden talking about this guy (thank god for Sirius NFL Radio), along with Al's press conference. The guy WAS a coach, breifly, in the NFL with Coughlin but spent significant time calling the plays with Pete Carrol in USC. Al has always hired young, and after those uys talk about it (outside of Madden, they will openlly/deservedly slam Oak) it seems like a pretty good hire. Add in that it ALSO sounded like Al is giving him the reigns and allowing him to hire his own staff, AND we still have Rob Ryan on Defense, and I think this now sounds more like a great hire.

I am really looking forward to this offseason to see what this guy can do here. Afterall, it can't get much worse.

What's wrong with the Defense?

Offense, though.... outside of a few RBs and WRs, I agree...

What I meant about the new coach cleaning house was more in regard to the young coach gaining the players respect. I've seen it happen before in business when a new young sales manager gets hired. If the older salesmen don't give him the respect he deserves as their boss IMO he's better off letting them go even if they are one of the biggest sales producers. Thought I heard there are at least 9 players on the roster older than the new coach.