[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks use franchise tag

godtomsatan

I still wish they would've had the sense to use it last year. We'd still have Hutch. :D

The Vikings' move changed who would be franchised. If the NFL had seperate tags for centers and guards they probably would have done that.

But that poison pill ruling was ridiculous. The Seahawks thought they could always match. That was a terrible decision.

franchsing a kicker just doesn't make sense ...Viniatieri is as close to being worthy of this and i still would not do it

I disagree in this case. They only had a handful of restricted free agents and it's not like you are going franchise Bobby Engram and pay him over $7 million next year. I would have liked to see them use it on Stevens but maybe they are already close to signing him or Graham to a deal. Locking up one the best kickers in the NFL for 2 million when the Walter Jonses's and Sean Alexander's are already under contract isn't necessarily out of right field.

I disagree in this case. They only had a handful of restricted free agents and it's not like you are going franchise Bobby Engram and pay him over $7 million next year. I would have liked to see them use it on Stevens but maybe they are already close to signing him or Graham to a deal. Locking up one the best kickers in the NFL for 2 million when the Walter Jonses's and Sean Alexander's are already under contract isn't necessarily out of right field.

i hear you but kickers can be found and normally you can find very servicable ones ... normally it is not a big project to do so ...look at Gould this past year for the Bears

i hear you but kickers can be found and normally you can find very servicable ones ... normally it is not a big project to do so ...look at Gould this past year for the Bears

Josh Brown hit 4 long game winning field goals last year and has been doing a pretty good Viniateiri impression for the last 2 seasons. Oviously managment thought that was worth 2 mill vs. having a serviceable kicker for 0.5 mill. It's not like they are breaking the bank to lock up one of the best at his position. Seems very rational to me.

Josh Brown hit 4 long game winning field goals last year and has been doing a pretty good Viniateiri impression for the last 2 seasons. Oviously managment thought that was worth 2 mill vs. having a serviceable kicker for 0.5 mill. It's not like they are breaking the bank to lock up one of the best at his position. Seems very rational to me.

if it works and they can replace some of the players they will lose to free agency ...more power to them then

I disagree. A kicker's effectiveness is aided by the offense and the opportunities presented to him. Gould was a good kicker who improved his long distance accuracy in 2006, at the same time that he got a ton more attempts. Brown has been nothing buy consistent in his four seasons when it comes to his accuracy, but where his game has made strides is the depth of his kickoffs.

Considering that franchising Brown costs the Seahawks AT THE MOST somewhere around $2.1M, and considering no team is going to sign a kicker for the cost of 2 first round picks, it does nothing buy the Hawks time to sign Brown long term.

I agree. Brown has established himself as one of the league's elite kickers and, since SEA has no other elite players with expired contracts, tagging Brown is a smart move. As Colts and Pats fans can attest, having a stud kicker on one's team during the playoffs can pay off big-time.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Good move as expected. If you can't sign him long-term quite yet, no sense in letting him go. He's too good. It isn't like franchising him is expensive. Clayton on local radio says the Hawks are one of 20 or so teams going hard after Dielman, and one of 6-7 going hard after Graham. I am most intrigued by our situation at safety. I don't think Hamlin is quite the cover guy we are looking for, but as he is one of the few Hawks with an attitude problem I am really hoping they bring him back anyhow.

Hey!!! We actually agree on something!! I think it's a good move for the 'Hawks.