[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LOVIE SIGNED!

Bears signed head coach Lovie Smith to a four-year contract extension and general manager Jerry Angelo to a deal through the 2013 season.

Smith, scheduled to make $1.45 million in 2007, gets a long-overdue extension through 2011. FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer says Smith's deal will pay him $22.5 million, which works out to $5.5 million-per-year.

Bears signed head coach Lovie Smith to a four-year contract extension and general manager Jerry Angelo to a deal through the 2013 season.

Smith, scheduled to make $1.45 million in 2007, gets a long-overdue extension through 2011. FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer says Smith's deal will pay him $22.5 million, which works out to $5.5 million-per-year.

I am not a Bears fan but am happy for Lovie :D

I believe rex was there at the signing of the extension ...rex went to congratulate lovie by giving him a high five , but missed and actually high fived the person behind him :tup::D

I shouldn't laugh at this but I can't help it. :D

Just when it was getting fun to bash the cheapskate schmucks in Bears' management, they go and give Lovie a contract with fair market value money. I'm happy for him. He deserves it! :D

But this whole contract saga still begs the obvious question: What the heck took so long? :D

Just when it was getting fun to bash the cheapskate schmucks in Bears' management, they go and give Lovie a contract with fair market value money. I'm happy for him. He deserves it! :D

But this whole contract saga still begs the obvious question: What the heck took so long? :D

Probably because he's black.

:fro:

Question? Is this an extension or a new contract? if it is an extension then Lovie is still the lowest paid head coach in the NFL this year.

Glad he got the new deal.

Question? Is this an extension or a new contract? if it is an extension then Lovie is still the lowest paid head coach in the NFL this year.

Glad he got the new deal.

It's an extension, but he'll get a $2.05 mil raise this year ($3.5 mil total). That'll put him in the top half for 2007. In 2008 and after, he'll get ~$5.5 mil, putting him in the top 10.

Today's Chi Trib....

There are a lot of reason for why it took so long: primarily one needs to keep in mind that unlike most every other NFL team this is one of the last 'mom and pop' run teams. This family isn't a billionaire family that owns the team for fun a la Jones, Snyder Allen etc but rather the entire family's wealth is tied up in the value of this team. They own very little else on the 'money making' front.

That being said, they've always been cheap because of it. As recently as the Wannestadt years the Bears had no GM in part because they didn't want to pay that position. This negotiation ALSO involved the extension for their GM Jerry Angelo who also had a new contract announced yesterday though no one noticed. Also, politics played a part as well, see the Rivera saga who was primarily let go as insurance by Smith so in the event he did NOT get the extension all of next year wouldn't be conjecture about wheterh or not Rivera would replace Smith. I'm happy for that, as Gil posted a link to a SCORE interview by Rivera where he said he called the D in the SB. Nuff said.

Here's a great breakdown:

Smith was given a four-year extension through 2011 and Angelo a five-year extension through 2013, the Bears announced. ...

But sources estimated Smith's extension is worth $22 million in new money.

Added to his 2007 salary of $1.45 million, the five-year average of $4.69 million jumps him from the lowest-paid coach in the league into the top 10.

So, looking back to what Smith turned down a year ago, the Bears had offered approximately $12 million for years 2006 through 2009. Instead, Lovie earned $1.35 million in 2006, he gets his set $1.45 million in 2007 and then $5.5 million per year through 2011.

That means, for years 2006 through 2009, Lovie will earn $13.8 million. That means, all this arguing was about $450,000 per year -- plus two additional years worth $11 million.

Was it really worth all this haggling? Was it worth the bad press the team got? Probably not. If you are going to give a guy his money, why drag out the process? They could have given him this money a month ago and the Bears would have received hossanas for their forsight.

For maybe only the second time in my life, this team has its front office in VERY strong order: when Tobin ran the 1985 team was the only other time.

Now, extend Briggs, get value for TJ, sign Steinbach and Barlow or JLewis to back up Benson.

Edited by Pope Flick