[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mark Clayton

Lady.hawke

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know as well as I that an ankle or hammy injury can be "catastrophic" for a WR....clayton didnt even start....the fact that he played showed he is going to try and play thru an injury(maybe as a decoy at times for all we know)....but again I dont agree with the ranking but completely understand TVP's reasoning and can respect it....

A change at QB can be detrimental to a WR as well.

I think Whitney nailed this situation in his Start/Bench this week.

Boller and Williams had some nice hook-ups in the preseason, it will be interesting to see what they can get done Sunday. Clayton may find himself the odd man out until Mason hangs them up.

I REALLY wish trusting you would be all that's needed. However, I just don't see (and BELIEVE me, I REALLY want to see it) how Boller improves the offense. Boller has a stronger arm than McNair, but then again, so does Jeff George. Boller has horrible game management skills. He will turn the ball over and make poor decisions behind center.

That being said, there is a higher probability that pure passing yards will increase because a Boller led offense may be playing from behind in the points column and teams will stack 8 in the box.

Williams is the faster WR, but I think both Clayton and Williams will have some yardage and big play opportunites, just not that many.

+1

+1

Well, I'm not sure I trust myself on this one. Some guys it just takes longer for the light to come on. Boller has had a year to watch from the sidelines, and learn from McNair. Maybe he will have a better grasp now. The fact that the Ravens locked him up with a contract tells me that they see something. And if you remember, Boller actually had a couple of good games at the end of '05, and looked much better this preseason in my opinion. I guess we might find out something Sunday.

Edited by rattsass

Well, I'm not sure I trust myself on this one. Some guys it just takes longer for the light to come on. Boller has had a year to watch from the sidelines, and learn from McNair. Maybe he will have a better grasp now. The fact that the Ravens locked him up with a contract tells me that they see something. And if you remember, Boller actually had a couple of good games at the end of '05, and looked much better this preseason in my opinion. I guess we might find out something Sunday.

Some good points Rattsass. Incidentally local radio has reported that McNair is still pretty limited, so maybe we will see Boller under center Sunday.

The only way I'd be high on Clayton is if Boller started. I think if Boller plays well this weekend vs. the Jets, there may be a bit of controversy at QB in Balt.

McNair's arm limits that offense so much (Williams, Heap and Clayton). His accuracy was brutal on Monday (on easy passes that an NFL starting QB should be able to make).

As has been mentioned previously, Boller was thrown into the fire very early in his career. (with mediocre WR weapons: Travis Taylor. I want to say Qadry Ismael as well).

Edited by cory_n_az

The point being that when someone pays for information, they are looking for someone with more expertise than themselves to help them out, or they are looking for insight that they either can't or won't find themselves. Having such a wide range of opinion for a player does a disservice to those people - which is who you want paying for information in the first place. People like you & I and many other regulars here don't need to ante up to get/find a ton of information on players and don't need a lot of help making player decisions.

To be dismissive of those peoples' concerns - valid in this case, IMO - only pushes them to other pay sites. I would think at the very least that anyone who does rankings here solicits other staff opinions before publishing to get a reality check on their opinions or see if they unintentionally ommitted a player at the very least.

That's a very valid concern on his part. Other than catastrophic injury, how do you justify a WR being ranked as a legit #2 FF WR one week and then after only 1 week he falls completely off the page? A player of that potential caliber shouldn't have that diverse of a range - something smells funny, and this guy noticed it.

I totally agree and Huddle should have a consensus ranking amongst their expert staff that represents the view of Huddle website. I'm think of hooking up with Football Guys next year. Huddle's becoming very inconsistent amongst their many expert staffers...don't know who really have the insider scoops and acurate analysis.

Clayton will not be servicable this week as the injury is still there.

That being said.... when Clayton is healthy he WILL be the teams number 1 WR.

Now how much the number 1 WR will do in this offense is another question.

I agree 100% - Clayton is and will be the go-to-guy in this putrid offense. Only his injury will hold him back. The Demetrius Williams hype machine will crash and burn shortly. I can't wait to pull some of these threads at season's end.

I agree 100% - Clayton is and will be the go-to-guy in this putrid offense. Only his injury will hold him back. The Demetrius Williams hype machine will crash and burn shortly. I can't wait to pull some of these threads at season's end.

Yeah, I'm bound to be wrong eventually. :D

I think Arnaz Battle will be what people think Demetrius will be...

If he catches a TD this week...I'll likely get him..

I agree that Clayton is very good when not hurt. Problem is he ALWAYS seems to be on the injury report nursing something. Williams seem to be both a coaching and fan favorite now. All the local radio shows are praising this guy.

If Boller starts, Heap and Williams will be who he locks onto. And Boller does lock onto his receivers.

Dont' forget, the Ravens just extended Boller and now have him under contract for this year and next year. If McNair is hurt, they will be looking to see if Boller is the QB of the future or just a backup with experience. I believe Boller is 18-16 as a starter, and you can do much worse than that as a #2 in the NFL.

I agree that Clayton is very good when not hurt. Problem is he ALWAYS seems to be on the injury report nursing something. Williams seem to be both a coaching and fan favorite now. All the local radio shows are praising this guy.

If Boller starts, Heap and Williams will be who he locks onto. And Boller does lock onto his receivers.

Dont' forget, the Ravens just extended Boller and now have him under contract for this year and next year. If McNair is hurt, they will be looking to see if Boller is the QB of the future or just a backup with experience. I believe Boller is 18-16 as a starter, and you can do much worse than that as a #2 in the NFL.

And to note that record is at the ages 22, 23, 24.

I'm not saying Boller is all world. I do believe he's gotten a bad wrap for not being a 20-TD/year QB immediately out of college. And I do believe he is currently a better QB than McNair and the weapons there (Clayton, Heap, Williams) would be a lot more effective YPC wise with Boller behind center.

Needless to say, I'm not a big McNair fan and his downward spiral is a lot like Brunell. Once very effective starting QB's who simply don't have the arm strength to be an effective week-2-week NFL starter. Last year, McNair had the excuse "1st year in Baltimore". This year, I believe people will simply realize he just isn't good enough anymore to take a team deep into the playoffs. Teams don't have to defend the Baltimore offense beyond 25 yards because McNair can't make the throws.

Edited by cory_n_az

This thread could turn into great fun if Clayton has a decent week this week.

It could be a complete blast if Clayton were to have a big week. That might make me tug on my Ditka....

So much for that. 1 catch for -1 yds.

Nice.

Edited by Bronco Billy