[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First BCS Standings

budlitebrad

The only thing we can say with any certainty is that this year the calls for a playoff will get louder than ever. And, of course, the calls will be largely ignored.

That is all - you may now continue with the partisan name calling.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a previous post, I proved that year in and year out, the SEC plays the weakest of non-conference schedules out of any conference. I completely agree with almost everything you said, it's not a stretch to say today the SEC is the best conference. But again, what has the Big Ten done this year that makes them think they aren't as deep as years past, other than Michigan? Big Ten might beat everyone in bowl games and prove everyone wrong. And while I agree, THIS year, the Big Ten hasn't had a killer schedule, but who has? The SEC didn't. Tenn went to Cal, got thumped, Oregon went to Michigan and won. Thats it! The rest is pure speculation on how good those teams are. And I think south Florida has played a tougher schedule than LSU. Beating Auburn in Auburn. West Virginia is better than Kentucky. LSU has the best win over Florida, but in the eyes of the computers, they beat a 2 loss team, no matter what our opinions on Florida is. And what's it gonna say for South Florida when Auburn exposes LSU once again next week in Baton Rouge? Can you say, FASTEST DEFENSE they've SEEN this year, and its not even close? As far as BC goes, they, like Ohio State, have taken care of business. They don't lose to the likes of Stanford AT HOME.

The Big Ten vs SEC argument will get settled, New Years day, like it always does, because we have at least 2 bowl tie ins with each other, maybe another extra BCS game. If it's Ohio State vs an SEC team, just chalk it up for the SEC. What would the SEC bowl record be vs the Big Ten if they didn't have Ohio State to pick on? I'll tell you this, it wouldn't be pretty.

I don't think you want to make the "year in and year out" argument against the SEC because their well-earned reputation as the strongest conference is based on how deep they are "year in and year out". That's why they should get a pass more than any other conference in terms of scheduling OOC. As for Tenn getting "thumped"...sure they lost by 2 TDs and that is certainly a comfortable margin. However, losing a high scoring, back and forth game like that is hardly getting "thumped". Especially one that included a sack/fumble/TD and a punt return TD by the winning team. There's your 14 pts. Don't get me wrong, the better team won. However, you're talking about the 5th best team in the SEC vs what may be the best in the Pac 10. Send UCLA or ASU into Auburn, LSU, or Florida and see how that turns out.

Back to my point. If you look at teams strength of schedule with respect to rankings at the end of the year, your typical SEC team could play 2-3 top 10 teams and 5-6 top 25 teams without leaving the conference (there are currently 3 in the top 10 and another 4 in the next 15). As it stands, the only team still ranked in the BCS top 25 on OSU's schedule is Michigan, who's 25. That's why SEC fans can complain about the fact that OSU or other Big 10 powers won't play tough teams out of conference even though they may not do the same.

As for Big 10 vs SEC bowl game bragging rights, you did beat the SEC 2-1 this last year but the one was for all the marbles so I don't know if two 2nd tier big 10 teams beating two second tier SEC teams is enough to make up for that. Not when you consider that the Big 10 as a whole pretty much laid an egg going 2-5.

Once again, what I'm talking about is the rather undeniable fact that OSU is always going to have a good W/L record if they only have to get up for 2-3 games per year. The toll that playing against the type of athletes that play for the top 8 SEC teams week in and week out catches up to you, so fans of teams like LSU, FL, etc have every right to claim they're as good or better than undefeated OSU who's been beating up on patsies week in and week out.

Hey LSU put OSU in this position.

Don't Blame the Buckeyes.

No one is blaming the Buckeyes. Look as much as I have been known to put down those west coast Trojans for accepting a mythical NC a few years back, I would also embrace a mythical NC if one was ever to be given to LSU based off of some people's opinions.

Believe me I'm not an anti-Ohio State fan or Big Ten fan. As I have said many times on this forum my parents are Ohio State grads and in fact my dad wore his scarlet sweater ever so proudly this past weekend at a mostly LSU function. I would love nothing more than to see Ohio State make the trip down to New Orleans this year, so I could visit with my die hard Buckeye cousins, but the TRUTH is what it is. Ohio State has had a cupcake schedule thus far and is certainly not worthy of a #1 ranking based on what they have accomplish thus far this season. I'm in agreement with Coherd and would still have LSU ranked #1 and Ohio State around 3rd.

a telling stat to me to gauge a conferences stregth is Wins vs Top 10, and top 30 teams........ bc say what you want about NC scheduling- this measures the strength of the league as well........ the numbers are true to what most besides Brian are saying nationwide.

top 10...........top 30

ACC...........0.......................0 - ridiculous any way you slice it -

Big East.....1.......................4

Big 10........0.......................4 combine soft NC with soft conference and BAM

Big 12.......1........................6...after watching OU/Mizzou- this league is better than I though initially

Pac 10......1........................7...these will both go up as CAL/OU/USC/ASU all mixing it up in the nest few weeks

SEC..........4........................11 - toughest conference week in and week out.period.

Edited by wildcat2334

And what's it gonna say for South Florida when Auburn exposes LSU once again next week in Baton Rouge? Can you say, FASTEST DEFENSE they've SEEN this year, and its not even close?

Yep. They're pretty darn fast. Almost as fast as USF's. :D

I'm not predicting grand things here because quite frankly, I'm just as surprised my beloved Bulls are where they are right now as anyone but having actually seen them play all six games, they deserve to be where they are. The interesting thing about the victories over WVU and Auburn is the fact that they played close to the vest on offense and protected the ball (attempted to anyway), letting the D win those games for them. They've since opened up the O and barring that coming back to bite them on the ass, they won't finish much lower if at all than they are now.

Edited by BS Miscreant

There have been plenty of years where the Big Ten was the best conference, so to say every year Ohio State has a 2 game schedule is utterly ridiculous. It may or may not be true this year, we won't know until January. You can talk about the 2 bowl wins being meaningless when it comes to Florida stomping Ohio State for all the marbles all you want, but that would kind of defeat the argument that the SEC is deeper year in and year out. We are talking about the conference as a whole aren't we? This decade the Big Ten and SEC have been dead even overall, with a slight edge maybe to the SEC with 2 national titles to the Big Tens 1. But as far as head to head, its the Big Ten with a 1 game lead, or dead even, so again, and it's usually matching up teams pretty close in the standings, and ALWAYS in SEC country. Whether it is down in Florida or the few years the Music city Bowl was between B10 and SEC.

Look I'm not even arguing that the Big Ten is stronger than anyone. I think anyone who argues conference supremecy in October is fooling themselves, and again, setting themself up for one big let down in January. The same let down, that happened last year, with Michigan and Ohio State both getting destroyed. And lets be honest, that's where all this Big Ten bashing has come from. 06 has nothing to do with 07 other than preseason rankings which are a joke to begin with. Let the season play out.

In a previous post, I proved that year in and year out, the SEC plays the weakest of non-conference schedules out of any conference. I completely agree with almost everything you said, it's not a stretch to say today the SEC is the best conference. But again, what has the Big Ten done this year that makes them think they aren't as deep as years past, other than Michigan? Big Ten might beat everyone in bowl games and prove everyone wrong. And while I agree, THIS year, the Big Ten hasn't had a killer schedule, but who has? The SEC didn't. Tenn went to Cal, got thumped, Oregon went to Michigan and won. Thats it! The rest is pure speculation on how good those teams are. And I think south Florida has played a tougher schedule than LSU. Beating Auburn in Auburn. West Virginia is better than Kentucky. LSU has the best win over Florida, but in the eyes of the computers, they beat a 2 loss team, no matter what our opinions on Florida is. And what's it gonna say for South Florida when Auburn exposes LSU once again next week in Baton Rouge? Can you say, FASTEST DEFENSE they've SEEN this year, and its not even close? As far as BC goes, they, like Ohio State, have taken care of business. They don't lose to the likes of Stanford AT HOME.

The Big Ten vs SEC argument will get settled, New Years day, like it always does, because we have at least 2 bowl tie ins with each other, maybe another extra BCS game. If it's Ohio State vs an SEC team, just chalk it up for the SEC. What would the SEC bowl record be vs the Big Ten if they didn't have Ohio State to pick on? I'll tell you this, it wouldn't be pretty.

Funny how you left out the biggest and most anticipated OC game of this entire year. Virginia Tech vs. LSU. A game in which the Tigers destoyed the Hokies 48-7 Keep in mind, if Virginia Tech would not have played LSU they would be ahead of Boston College in the BCS rankings. And so would South Carolina if they would have been fortunate enough not to have played LSU this season like the past several years.

And please quit trying to spin last year's 2-5 Big 10 bowl record into something positive. You know better.

I'm not spinning there disaster at all. They stunk. Particularly Ohio State and Michigan. And VT-LSU was hyped up for what? Some preseason notion that VT had a pulse? PRESEASON! Since then, VT has proven absolutely nothing! LSU should have and did, slam them at home.

edit to add: and GREAT teams, don't lose to Kentucky, on ANY field. Bottom line. LSU is good, not great. Not by a longshot.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

I'm not spinning there disaster at all. They stunk. Particularly Ohio State and Michigan. And VT-LSU was hyped up for what? Some preseason notion that VT had a pulse? PRESEASON! Since then, VT has proven absolutely nothing! LSU should have and did, slam them at home.

edit to add: and GREAT teams, don't lose to Kentucky, on ANY field. Bottom line. LSU is good, not great. Not by a longshot.

I'll agree with one of your post where you stated the reason why everyone is so down on the Big Ten this year is due to the fact that Ohio State & Michigan got humiliated last year in the BCS Bowls after many up north in Big 10 country were trying to sell a rematch of OSU/Michigan game as the BCS NC. :D It will take years to overcome that reputation.

We'll see about Virginia Tech in a few weeks when they go up against the highly touted Boston College squad. Of course I'm sure you'll say that BC was over rated if they lose to Tech just like you will if LSU beats Auburn.

There have been plenty of years where the Big Ten was the best conference, so to say every year Ohio State has a 2 game schedule is utterly ridiculous. It may or may not be true this year, we won't know until January. You can talk about the 2 bowl wins being meaningless when it comes to Florida stomping Ohio State for all the marbles all you want, but that would kind of defeat the argument that the SEC is deeper year in and year out. We are talking about the conference as a whole aren't we? This decade the Big Ten and SEC have been dead even overall, with a slight edge maybe to the SEC with 2 national titles to the Big Tens 1. But as far as head to head, its the Big Ten with a 1 game lead, or dead even, so again, and it's usually matching up teams pretty close in the standings, and ALWAYS in SEC country. Whether it is down in Florida or the few years the Music city Bowl was between B10 and SEC.

Look I'm not even arguing that the Big Ten is stronger than anyone. I think anyone who argues conference supremecy in October is fooling themselves, and again, setting themself up for one big let down in January. The same let down, that happened last year, with Michigan and Ohio State both getting destroyed. And lets be honest, that's where all this Big Ten bashing has come from. 06 has nothing to do with 07 other than preseason rankings which are a joke to begin with. Let the season play out.

:D

"plenty of years" , "this decade", Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian. who cares- the conference proved to be a fraud last year, as evidence by Mich/OSU not really being tested all year in conference and getting exposed out of it.

THIS YEAR the Big 10 is way down- period. Why are you even talking about the Big 10 with the SEC??? not remotely relevant.

The Big 10 is duking it out with the ACC to see who is the 5th best conference...................

The Pac 10 and SEC have been going back and forth as the best conference in America- the jusry is still out- while I gve the SEC an edge in overall week in and week out strenght in the mid-bottom of the conference, I think 1-5 is a toss up .

I hope and pray OSU stumbles vs Penn State or Mich so we don't have to see them get drilled by LSU/OU/OREGON, or another battle-tested squad.