[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Westy returning kicks

rai

I love Westy, the Eagles etc..

He won a game v (?) Dall or NYG (?) one of the hated rivals several years ago on a return and we would have surely have wone against the Packers (week one) if westy was in kick returns.

I understand Westy does not return most kicks but every now and then, he just about won the Seatle game with a return.

Do you think that's a big risk or just another way to get the ball into the hands of one of the best players in the league?

I mean, say for example Moss would be good at returns but don't think it's worth the risk.

I think somebody like Hester or Bush (who are not worth a lot to be honest unless they return kicks)

But somebody like Westy (I mean that's like putting LT back to return kicks) IMO you don't do that.

My question is there some people (like Hester and Bush) who are worth the risk and some people like Moss and LT who are not worth the risk and where does Westy fit in there?

Edited by rai

I love Westy, the Eagles etc..

He won a game v (?) Dall or NYG (?) one of the hated rivals several years ago on a return and we would have surely have wone against the Packers (week one) if westy was in kick returns.

I understand Westy does not return most kicks but every now and then, he just about won the Seatle game with a return.

Do you think that's a big risk or just another way to get the ball into the hands of one of the best players in the league?

I mean, say for example Moss would be good at returns but don't think it's worth the risk.

I think somebody like Hester or Bush (who are not worth a lot to be honest unless they return kicks)

But somebody like Westy (I mean that's like putting LT back to return kicks) IMO you don't do that.

My question is there some people (like Hester and Bush) who are worth the risk and some people like Moss and LT who are not worth the risk and where does Westy fit in there?

i dont know how well moss would do with everyone running AT him...he does best when people are running behind him :D

I don't like it as an Eagles fan...

I think that the Patriots game was the game to do this...

our backs were against the wall then.....so now it's too little, too late...not to mention doing it the whole game last week...he could have returned to kicks...or at least made things even better early on in the game...

I couldn't care less about the iggles or westbrook, but I do think its a dumb idea to have him return kicks every time. He is obviously an elite player and while I understand putting the ball in his hands often…I do believe the risk is higher than the reward most of the time. Especially when you can have a #2RB (like Buckhalter) or someone more expendable to run on special teams. I thought it was dumb when Childress was using AP to return kicks all the time as well. Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll run into the same people saying, “why don’t you pansies stop worrying about your china-doll. This is football, he should be tough enough and there is no empirical evidence that returning kicks is any more dangerous than playing running back. Blah, blah, blah…” Personally, I’ve never seen a running play where all 11 defensive players get a 40-yard dash head of steam to try to tackle the running back, but some of the local crowd think that a counter-trap is just as dangerous.

I have no issues with it the way they did it. They did it cause he used to be a kick returner (so not a Moss/LT like situation - you wouldn't just stick them back there out of the blue), he's the best open field runner they have, and in the two cases they did it, it was a season defining moment. Worked in both cases to an extent....rest of team and coaches couldn't finish the job.

Does he open himself to injury a bit more - sure, but not a whole lot more than any other "touch" in a game, and as much as we're giving him the ball now, it's not enough.

Point being this wasn't the first game, and it wasn't the last one when we're out of it. It was two make or break games at the end, adn we gave it everything (and then blew the game anyway).

I don't expect him back there anymore this year.

Two notes -

1) if NE was down 4 and being kicked off to in the SB or a playoff game with 30 seconds left, I almost guarantee there's a setup where Moss is deep, they have someone else catch the ball and pitch it him

2) I used "we" way too much in this post - damn Eagles are killing me....

2) I used "we" way too much in this post - damn Eagles are killing me....

good points and I hear you about using 'we' about the Eagles but now we can sit back and watch some other teams play a bit and wait for McNabbs next big injury.

Well at least Feely got out of the quarterback controversy/

As an Eagle homer I really do not mind having him return punts every once in a while like in the Seattle game. In the open field there are very few that are better than he. I would only do this when a big play is needed toward the end of the game. (like the Giants game a couple of years ago and the Seattle game a couple of weeks ago). There is no way that I would let him do this on a regular basis the risk of injuring the one consistant player on the Eagles offense is much to great.

i dont know how well moss would do with everyone running AT him...he does best when people are running behind him :D

Moss has done it before when Denny Green was coaching the Vikes. I'm not sure how many games Moss did that but maybe 2 or 3 games. The first game he returned kicks he took one to the house against the Chiefs I believe.

I'm not a fan of your star player returning kicks, especially one listed on the injury reports most weeks.

I only see one Punt TD returned for a td in 1999 for Randy. 1 out of 17 returns isn't bad.

Edited by MikesVikes

As on off topic, I think Hester has a case of being paid multi-million dollars if all he does is return kicks and punts (and missed FGs he-he)

Hester not only can score but makes people kick out of bounds (like when the Eagles played them this year) giving excellent field position he's worth his weight in gold.

Edited by rai