[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rivers is a STUD

McBoog

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's cool- my point is just LT did the right thing by sitting- now could he have been a better cheerleader?? yeah- but the dude was probably crushed and it was -24 out........

Rivers, ehh not buying it - I mean, there is playing hurt- but once you cross the line of doing more damage than good by playing - time to sit.

Norv is to blame as well, fo sure- I just think he was givin the guy who got em to the dance a go at it........ i think by halftime it was pretty obvious that a change should have been made.

agreed :D

this thread has taken a few twists and turns.....

back to the Rivers /Volek debate...

it's been said here that Rivers couldn't get them in the endzone as though it was his fault because

of his knees...i disagree.

it was because of the Patriots D.

go back and look at the play by play of the game if you want...

here are the cliff notes by redzone trips for the Chargers.

1...Chambers steps out of bounds before catching Rivers bullet in the back of the endzone, then comes down with it out of bounds.

drive started on the NE 40

2. Rivers drills a pass to Gates, looks like a sure TD, but Bruschi makes a great play and knocks it down...3rd and 8 from the NE 8...Rivers complete to Chambers at the 5, but Hobbs stops Chambers.

drive started on SD 30

3. 2nd and 2 at NE 23, pass complete for 1 yd.....3rd and 1 pass incomplete. (4th and 1 should Norv gone for it down 14-6 in 2nd qrt?)

drive started at SD 35

4.Seau blows up Turner in the backfield...

drive started at NE 49

give credit where its due...the Patriots redzone D has been very very good as of late...it sucked at the begining of the year.

it's certainly not all Rivers fault...Volek? eh, i don't think he would have faired any better.

it's been said here that Rivers couldn't get them in the endzone as though it was his fault because

1...Chambers steps out of bounds before catching Rivers bullet in the back of the endzone, then comes down with it out of bounds.

2. Rivers drills a pass to Gates, looks like a sure TD, but Bruschi makes a great play and knocks it down...3rd and 8 from the NE 8...Rivers complete to Chambers at the 5, but Hobbs stops Chambers.

drive started on SD 30

3. 2nd and 2 at NE 23, pass complete for 1 yd.....3rd and 1 pass incomplete. (4th and 1 should Norv gone for it down 14-6 in 2nd qrt?)

drive started at SD 35

drive started at NE 49

give credit where its due...the Patriots redzone D has been very very good as of late...it sucked at the begining of the year.

it's certainly not all Rivers fault...Volek? eh, i don't think he would have faired any better.

A healthy Volek might have tucked and run on any particular play. Maybe he wouldn't have forced that pass to Gates and gone elsewhere. The point that a 100% Volek might have been better than a gimpy Rivers who couldn't properly plant his foot is legit, but you can play 'what if' all day in an attempt to sound right from the angle you're coming from. And I don't deny the Pats played their D very well, but they also got pushed around a bit while consistently stiffening up near the goal line. We'll never know.

drive started on SD 30

drive started at SD 35

drive started at NE 49

I agree with this! Don't forget to give the Pats credit. The Seau Tackle was HUGE. That was also a big part of what the critics used to say about his play. He would not always play in the system and would be out of position. When he was younger, his athletesism overcame a lot of his undiciplined play, guessing and "shooting gaps" (even if it wasn't his gap). I can't speak to that now 'cause I don't see many Pats' games, but imagine that under Belicheat, you do your job or you are gone, so he is surely playing more controlled now than when he was a Charger.

Forget both Rivers and LT. I still think the biggest injury and how it related to the outcome was Gates. Gates had 7 grabs for 77 yards and a TD in the first game, 2 for 17 in the last???

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080121-9999-lz1x21dirty.html' rel="external nofollow">

Gates worse

Antonio Gates did not go through a pregame workout in order to give his dislocated big toe some extra rest. He thought after playing the previous week he knew what to expect. But he came off the field after the game's first series thinking he was done for the day.

“It was a burning sensation,” Gates said. “I was like, 'I can't play. I can't finish.' Part of that was just me going back in the locker room deciding I'm going to do what I can to finish this game."

Gates got treated then and again at halftime. He finished with two catches for 17 yards.

All day, he was blanketed by single coverage, mostly by a linebacker. “It's a different game if I'm healthy,” Gates said. “That is so much different from the way I can run and the way I cut. I've seen more man coverage the last two weeks than I've seen in three years. I was recognizing it, but my physical ability wasn't allowing me to do things I'm normally capable of doing.”

Gates said he would rest the toe for a few weeks before it is decided whether he needs surgery.

A healthy Gates would have opened up the Red Zone and Teddy B would NOT have been able to cover him and on the play in the end zone, there would probably have been more separation to get the ball to him. :D

To me, the two biggest plays by Pats were the Faulk diving catch on third and long, 4th quarter, deep in their own zone. That was the backbreaker.

The other has hardly been mentioned, but I have seen few football plays as great as the Special Teams punt play where the guy goes airborn at the one and throws the ball back in play to pin the Chargers deep. That brought me out of my seat applauding and whootin' :wacko: . My wife and guests thought I was nutz :D , but like I always say, I love the game more than any one team or player, and THAT was a great play!

A healthy Gates would have opened up the Red Zone and Teddy B would NOT have been able to cover him and on the play in the end zone, there would probably have been more separation to get the ball to him. :D

To me, the two biggest plays by Pats were the Faulk diving catch on third and long, 4th quarter, deep in their own zone. That was the backbreaker.

The other has hardly been mentioned, but I have seen few football plays as great as the Special Teams punt play where the guy goes airborn at the one and throws the ball back in play to pin the Chargers deep. That brought me out of my seat applauding and whootin' :D . My wife and guests thought I was nutz :wacko: , but like I always say, I love the game more than any one team or player, and THAT was a great play!

A healthy Gates Rivers and LT would have made a difference in the game for certain. But we will never know how much, and that makes any speculation to that end just an exercise of running around in circles.

I think that based on the play of this team coming down the stretch, that next season is something to be excited about for Chargers fans. It is seriously unfortunate for their prospects of realizing a championship that they are as talented as they are in the same time period as IND, PIT, and NEP have been as consistently good as they have been. It makes for great football games, but it's tough that only one team can be champion, and to have a chance at that the team has to come through a heck of a conference.

Last year's playoffs with NEP vs SDC and then NEP vs IND were some of the best games I have ever seen. The Chargers will be there again.

I, but like I always say, I love the game more than any one team or player, and THAT was a great play!

Even more than your QB that never swears, helps old ladies cross the street, delivers soup to the homeless, never losses at Boggle, and never watches pron ????

Wow, you really do like football !!!!!

:wacko: