[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packer draft discussion.

Randall

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, I'll say it. Terrible draft in the first 2 rounds. I love Nelson & Brohm, don't get me wrong. They are 2 of my favorite skil players in this draft and I think they both have the tools to be good to very good (but not great) players.

That said, GB has a championship caliber team put together right now. They need quality depth at CB, D-line & O-line. If Rodgers were to go down to injury, Brohm isn't going to do any better (and bing a rookie he'll probably do much worse) and if Rodgers can't hold him off for the starting spot (which I think he'll do easily) GB is screwed for the coming year or two anyhow.

Nelson moves into a position of strength for GB. How does he get onto the field for meaningful touches/plays in the next 2-3 years unless he flat out overcomes Jones & Martin? GB has a good strong WR corps, and they are all very young except for Driver.

GB needed depth that can help them in the next 2 years while they fight to go to the SB. Nelson and Brohm may help them 3 years or more down the road when both guys are ready to go full tilt, but with the team they now have they needed players at other spots. Chances are they'll develop both guys and then have to offer large contracts or lose them to FA by the time they are ready to contribute meaningfully.

Very well said. Nothing wrong with the quality/caliber of someone like Nelson, but absolutely the wrong position to fill with that pick IMO. At least from this hostile Vikings' fan perspective. :wacko:

Read my post on page 4.

I did. You did not convince me. Again, I hear he is a talented kid, it's not a critique of the player, I just don't think it was the best use of that particular pick (especially considering the depth of WR talent that remained on the board for a long time in this draft).

I did. You did not convince me. Again, I hear he is a talented kid, it's not a critique of the player, I just don't think it was the best use of that particular pick (especially considering the depth of WR talent that remained on the board for a long time in this draft).

And again, I challenge you to show what position they should have addressed.

It doesn't matter if you like it or not, the Packers don't have any huge holes to fill. Because of this, they could go with the best player available. Ted Thompson seems to know what he's doing.

And for all the people bashing the Nelson pick... It wasn't just Nelson that we took... That single first round pick turned into Jordy Nelson AND Jermichael Finley for Dustin Keller and Erik Ainge...

A lot of draft experts predicted Fred Davis or Brian Brohm in the first... Well, we got Brohm but nearly 30 picks later, and a physical freak in Jermichael Finley, who could prove to be a steal in a year or two.

And for all the people bashing the Nelson pick... It wasn't just Nelson that we took... That single first round pick turned into Jordy Nelson AND Jermichael Finley for Dustin Keller and Erik Ainge...

Actually Nelson and Thompson for Keller, Lowery and Ainge from the 2 Packers/Jets trades.

Guest Chappy
Another QB?

TT loves those QBs!! No more Favre, let's have 3 guys to help fill his shoes and maybe Favre will pull a Strahan later this summer.

TT loves those QBs!! No more Favre, let's have 3 guys to help fill his shoes and maybe Favre will pull a Strahan later this summer.

Probably just the opposite.Time to move on. The Vikings uh I mean a team can trade for his rights.

Edited by Randall

Sounds about right... I can see Cooledge and Barbre as the eventual replacment at tackle and Coston with Spitz/Moll as guards. Sitton gives us a utility lineman to back up Wells and in case of an injury at guard. We've got depth here, which is always a good thing

I've always thought that Colledge is pretty obviously being groomed to replace Clifton at LT, but that Moll swinging out to RT was also a possibility.

Lots of young OLs who are still developing, so I have no idea how it all will play out.

For the Saints 6 th rounder

That's an awesome move by Ted...

I've always thought that Colledge is pretty obviously being groomed to replace Clifton at LT, but that Moll swinging out to RT was also a possibility.

Lots of young OLs who are still developing, so I have no idea how it all will play out.

Yeah, Colledge should be the guy to replace Clifton. I think Barbre is more of a RT than Moll, but these guys are only going into there 2-3 years and a lot can change... Here's to hoping that they progress the way Ted hopes.

This guy is interesting. From Packers blog

DE Jeremy Thompson, Wake Forest (4th round): ... character doesn't come more impeccable than Thompson, the younger brother of Packers OT Orrin Thompson. They guy is rock solid and as smart as they come. But can he rush the passer? A lot of people think so, and Ted Thompson obviously does because JT gets the distinction of being the first-ever player TT has ever traded up to get. Wasn't a feared pass rusher in college, but, yes, the Deamon Deacs moved him around a lot. However, he's going to need to get to the QB a lot more often if he wants to make it in the pros