[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper in Detroit

Furd

Not a Detroit fan (though I will be there tomorrow and Thursday), but as an impartial outsider, I see no problems with this at all. Sure his skills have digressed some, but the dude did throw for 39 TD passes just a few years ago and should be completely healthy from the knee injury which hampered his previous comebacks. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been on someone's roster all year. No way in hell is every single one of the 64+ QBs currently drawing checks in the NFL better than he is.

I think if he does get signed, y'all should wait and see how it plays out before screaming bloody murder. It may turn out to be a bad move, but I doubt seriously it would be a contract the Lions couldn't easily get out of at little to no risk.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys that don't like this move are absolutely sick, especilly Lions fans. Has it been so long since you've seen good moves that you can't recognize one any longer?? This is a no-risk move with tremendous upside. Hate to tell you guys, but Pep is twice as good right now as any QB you have on your roster. Maybe he can turn Cal into Randy. I personally think there should have been about five other teams that would have picked him up by now, so you should consider yourselves lucky. There is a small chance that he hels turn this thing around for a couple years....but nah....who would want that? Not when we have Drew Stanton!!

You guys that don't like this move are absolutely sick, especilly Lions fans. Has it been so long since you've seen good moves that you can't recognize one any longer?? This is a no-risk move with tremendous upside. Hate to tell you guys, but Pep is twice as good right now as any QB you have on your roster.

And on top of that, having Culpepper around for a couple of years will give the Lions the time to slowly develop a young QB who will eventually take over as the starter (as opposed to throwing him to the lions right off the bat). If the price is reasonable (which it will be), I agree that signing Culpepper is a no-brainer.

You guys that don't like this move are absolutely sick, especilly Lions fans. Has it been so long since you've seen good moves that you can't recognize one any longer?? This is a no-risk move with tremendous upside. Hate to tell you guys, but Pep is twice as good right now as any QB you have on your roster. Maybe he can turn Cal into Randy. I personally think there should have been about five other teams that would have picked him up by now, so you should consider yourselves lucky. There is a small chance that he hels turn this thing around for a couple years....but nah....who would want that? Not when we have Drew Stanton!!

Another jockhanging poster. We know what Culpepper was in Minny, and we also know what he was on teams there after. You, no one, can garuntee he's any good, nor be positive he's not a washed up has been. Twice as good? I doubt it. We may or may not find out. I wouldn't sign this guy at any significant cost or morgage any future on him. KC is probably the only other team interested in him, due to injuries, not Culpeppers awesome skill and abilities that never diminished as you imply. Let me guess, Washington was truly brilliant to sign such a tremendous talent in SA. He's gonna rock thier world right? Sigh, kids...

Has it been so long since you've seen good moves that you can't recognize one any longer??

No, we've seen enough stupid moves to know one from a mile away. We saw Culpepper up close for many years, and he's a 260-pound pile of turnover and choke. How does a guy throw for 35 TDs a year, with a solid running game, and good defense, yet his squad never plays better than .500 ball? He SUCKS, that's how. He's a tight end with an arm. Without Cris Carter making the reads for him, without his get-out-of-jail free card in Randy Moss, without that OL, and without Robert Smith, he was PUTRID. In Minnesota, in Miami, in Oakland. Terrible, period, end of report.

Peace

policy

He SUCKS, that's how. He's a tight end with an arm. Without Cris Carter making the reads for him, without his get-out-of-jail free card in Randy Moss, without that OL, and without Robert Smith, he was PUTRID.

Not so fast. Culpepper put up MVP-caliber numbers in '04 without Carter, Robert Smith, Korey Sringer, and with Moss either out or limited with a leg injury for a good chunk of the season. He made Nate Burleson look like a stud, often with Moss on the bench. He may suck now, but he was actually a pretty solid QB at one point... and it wasn't COMPLETELY because of his supporting cast.

Culpepper obviously isn't that same guy anymore. He lost his mobilty after the knee injury and fell apart as a passer after Scott Linehan left for STL. But he can't be any worse than that moran who scrambled past the back of he endzone to escape Jared Allen a couple of weeks ago. The Lions are in such dire straights right now that giving Culpepper a two- or three-year deal that's limited in guaranteed money is actually a pretty decent idea. They're going to need a veteran to start while whoever they're grooming for the future develops. And if Culpepper really IS completely done, cut him and move on.

. . . and they went 8-8. Garbage time TDs only count in fantasy football, my man.

They also made the playoffs and stomped the Packers at Lambeau in January. Despite the frigid conditions and Moss playing injured, Culpepper still threw for 284 yds and 4 TDs. That peformance was typical of what he did that year: 4700 yds passing, 39 pasing TDs, and only 11 picks. If it weren't for Peyton, he would've been the league MVP.

Sorry, "my man", but you're dead wrong about Culpepper completely sucking in Minnesota. He had his moments.

They also made the playoffs and stomped the Packers at Lambeau in January. Despite the frigid conditions and Moss playing injured, Culpepper still threw for 284 yds and 4 TDs.

:wacko: Yeah, and then he threw two third-quarter INTs to lead the Vikings to failure against the Eagles. I know he put up numbers, but he was the reason the VIkes lost as often as he was the reason they won. It's been five years since he was even THAT two-edged sword. Who knows how much he has left in the tank?

That peformance was typical of what he did that year: 4700 yds passing, 39 pasing TDs, and only 11 picks. If it weren't for Peyton, he would've been the league MVP.

And again, how many players have been in the running for league MVP on a team with several other Pro Bowlers, that only played .500 ball? 'pepper was the king of blown crucial third downs, brutal picks in the middle two quarters, fattening his stats on weak compeition and never being much of anything.

Here's what sums it up for me: what was the greatest acheivement in the history of the 'pepper-Era Vikings? Getting blown out 41-0 by the most mediocre NFC Champs ever. That's it. That's the high water mark. That's the most the Vikings ever were with the Grimace on the sidelines and Barney under center.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

They also made the playoffs and stomped the Packers at Lambeau in January. Despite the frigid conditions and Moss playing injured, Culpepper still threw for 284 yds and 4 TDs. That peformance was typical of what he did that year: 4700 yds passing, 39 pasing TDs, and only 11 picks. If it weren't for Peyton, he would've been the league MVP.

Sorry, "my man", but you're dead wrong about Culpepper completely sucking in Minnesota. He had his moments.

So is it completely relevant that he had one great season on a team that consistently found a way to lose. Culpepper is one of the few QBs to average 1 fumble per game. They lost the first two games of the 05 year. Culpepper threw 0 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in those first two games coming off his greatest season. In 2005 he had 6 touchdowns, 12 interceptions, and 5 fumbles before getting injured. Brad Johnson started the next game after he was injured and led MN to 6 straight wins. The team ended up 9-7 that year and Daunte's career Viking record was 37-40 (48.1% winning percentage). The point that making touchdowns while losing several games only counts in fantasy football seems valid to me. Great stats on an 8-8 team when you are the QB does mean something in my book. Yes, he had some skills when he was lower 20s and healthy. That player is no longer there and I really wouldn't want a questionable character person to be a QB when you are trying to rebuild a team that has a history of losing.

Found this in an old excerpt from 2006: "New Vikings coach Brad Childress likened his dealings with Culpepper to his dealings with Terrell Owens and said he never had a conversation with Daunte that didn't involve his contract and getting more money instead of football and the team"

So is it completely relevant that he had one great season on a team that consistently found a way to lose. Culpepper is one of the few QBs to average 1 fumble per game. They lost the first two games of the 05 year. Culpepper threw 0 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in those first two games coming off his greatest season. In 2005 he had 6 touchdowns, 12 interceptions, and 5 fumbles before getting injured. Brad Johnson started the next game after he was injured and led MN to 6 straight wins. The team ended up 9-7 that year and Daunte's career Viking record was 37-40 (48.1% winning percentage). The point that making touchdowns while losing several games only counts in fantasy football seems valid to me. Great stats on an 8-8 team when you are the QB does mean something in my book. Yes, he had some skills when he was lower 20s and healthy. That player is no longer there and I really wouldn't want a questionable character person to be a QB when you are trying to rebuild a team that has a history of losing.

Found this in an old excerpt from 2006: "New Vikings coach Brad Childress likened his dealings with Culpepper to his dealings with Terrell Owens and said he never had a conversation with Daunte that didn't involve his contract and getting more money instead of football and the team"

That being said, is Culpepper after just more money or is he out to prove he can still play and has the desire? He might be a decent pickup for the right money, with no risk to the future, as long as we see what we got in Stanton as well. CPep will probably sign for the most money, not necessaarily where he thinks he can get the most playing time if your last statement is true. One would think KC would be his best option either way.

Here's what sums it up for me: what was the greatest acheivement in the history of the 'pepper-Era Vikings? Getting blown out 41-0 by the most mediocre NFC Champs ever. That's it. That's the high water mark. That's the most the Vikings ever were with the Grimace on the sidelines and Barney under center.

dude, that achievment you're mocking already makes him the the most accomplished QB in lions history.

Detroit just had their first non-sellout just this last Sunday. The team is horrible. The economy sucks. The tickets are toilet paper. Why wouldn't they bring in a guy that might put a few asses in a few seats. They figure they can't POSSIBLY get any worse, and they sell some tickets while they figure out which of the league backups they will try to acquire next season at an inflated price.

Whether Culpepper is an improvement or not is probably a minimal part of the equation here. He will create a buzz as evidenced by the growing length of this thread and that is the answer.

dude, that achievment you're mocking already makes him the the most accomplished QB in lions history.

:wacko: Wrong! Erik Kramer led the Lions to a 41-10 NFC Championship Game shellacking at the hands of a Redskins team far fiercer than the Giants that pounded Minny.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

Detroit just had their first non-sellout just this last Sunday. The team is horrible. The economy sucks. The tickets are toilet paper. Why wouldn't they bring in a guy that might put a few asses in a few seats. They figure they can't POSSIBLY get any worse, and they sell some tickets while they figure out which of the league backups they will try to acquire next season at an inflated price.

Whether Culpepper is an improvement or not is probably a minimal part of the equation here. He will create a buzz as evidenced by the growing length of this thread and that is the answer.

I agree, so tell me why won't they play Stanton to see what he's got?

The rumor is they're going to start bringing him off the bench in the second half, maybe as soon as this week. I think they don't want to install the 'QB of the Future' as the starter well before he's ready. Since he's had all of a month of regular-season practice in his entire career, I can imagine that he's not quite ready yet.

Peace

policy

I think the question answers the question.

I figure about 6 to 8, depending how many relatives he flies out to the game.

That is the truth. I haven't heard ONE person excited about the potential of Daunte coming here. Stanton starting would pique the interest of fans to a far larger degree than Culpepper.

That is the truth. I haven't heard ONE person excited about the potential of Daunte coming here. Stanton starting would pique the interest of fans to a far larger degree than Culpepper.

Rational thought has no place in the discussion concerning the Lions front office decisions.

It's amazing how much animosity C-Pep generates on this site. I would think there would be some love for a guy who helped carry owners to championships in his glory days of 2000,2002,2003 and 2004. Bottom line is, he's an accomplished former pro bowler that is much better than most people on this site give him credit for.

I personally feel like he still has some upside and 2 solid years if he can get into the right system. I'm sure his knee has now fully recovered and he still has a gun for an arm. Those that are blowing him off as some fluke who just flinged the ball as far as he could and let Moss catch passes can't really be serious. Give the man some credit for becoming a solid QB in the league whether you like to admit it or not. Is he a turn over machine? Sometimes. Is he probably a little heavy and out of shape? Probably. Is he washed up and a shell of his former self? who knows?

I can tell you he is a CAREER 63% passer with 142 TD's to 94 INT's (decent ratio). He also has 33 rushing TD's so please stop acting like this guy was a bust. It's a joke reading some of these comments especially when the Lions are clearly upgrading their QB position. Anything other than what the Lions have right now is a upgrade over their current roster of QB's.

We aren't going to go down that road again are we? Stay down on this one my brotha.