[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Revis Wins USA Today DPOY

Rovers

Jets' Darrelle Revis wins USA TODAY's top defensive honor

Enlarge By Luc Leclerc, US Presswire

Jets safety Darrelle Revis earned his second Pro Bowl bid in 2009.

From staff reports

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis shut down nearly all comers this season. And in return he has honors as the NFL's best defensive player coming his way.

Revis has earned the Defensive Player of the Year, as voted by USA TODAY's panel of NFL writers and editors.

He garnered three first-place votes from the 11-person panel, and claimed the award in a close vote by one point over Green Bay Packers CB Charles Woodson.

Revis, in his third season, is winning praise as perhaps the NFL's most effective corner.

It's not just the stats of the Jets cornerback (31 passes defensed, six INTs, one returned for a TD) that elevate him, it's the suffocating coverage he delivered against some of the best receivers in the NFL this season.

"Nobody puts as much on one player as we put on him," Jets coach Rex Ryan said of Revis last month. "Every single week, he has to answer the bell. Not Champ Bailey (of the Denver Broncos), not anybody in this league, is asked to do what he does."

Revis has lined up against Houston's Andre Johnson, New England's Randy Moss, Buffalo's Terrell Owens, Carolina's Steve Smith and Cincinnati's Chad Ochocinco this season. And he routinely marginalized teams' premier offensive weapon on a outpost some have called "Revis Island."

He held Ochocinco without a catch in a 37-0, playoff-clinching win in Week 17, even after Ochocinco brashly said it was "impossible" to cover him.

Revis, elected to his second Pro Bowl, has eschewed trash-talking, however.

"I remember they get paid as well as I do," he said of his opponents. "so there's no trying to get into a sparring match or a trash-talking match."

Voting results for USA TODAY's NFL Defensive Player of the Year award. First-place votes in parentheses

Darrelle Revis, Jets CB, 15 (3)

Charles Woodson, Packers CB, 14, (4)

Elvis Dumervil, Broncos DE, 12 (1)

Darren Sharper, Saints CB, 9 (2)

Jared Allen, Vikings DE, 8

Patrick Willis, 49ers LB, 5

Dwight Freeney, Colts DE, 1

London Fletcher, Redskins LB, 1

Jairus Byrd, Bills CB, 1

The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports Charles Woodson will be named the NFC Defensive Player of the Month.

It would be the third time he received the honor in the four-month long season, making him the first player in NFC history to accomplish that feat.

/hijack

You can't go wrong picking either of these guys. Woodson is a playmaker from sideline to sidline and Revis completely eliminates every stud wideout that lines up across from him.

Edited by budlitebrad

Revis: 54 tackles. 6 picks. 1 TD

Woodson:74 tackles. 9 picks. 3 TD. 4 forced fumbles. 2 sacks.

Revis may have shut down wide receivers, but Woodson was all over the field.

If you watched Revis play more, you would understand that numbers don't tell the whole story. Revis is never allowed to blitz in the Jets' scheme. He can't get any sacks. Unlike Woodson, he is almost always in man coverage. No deep help. That makes it more difficult to get INT's as well, he can't jump routes the way Woodson can. He also gets thrown at less, even though he is always matched up against the opposing team's best WR.

Revis has to be measured on what he's done against the very best WR's in the NFL. He shut them down, every single one of them. How good Revis has been does not show up in numbers. At least in his numbers... it shows up in the numbers of the NFL's best WR's that have faced him.

If you like Woodson over Revis, no arguement. But please don't throw any consideration for Revis to the curb. Woodson is allowed to roam, make plays. Revis isn't allowed that in the Jets' scheme. He could get more sacks, more INT's and more tackles if he was used like Woodson, and he has the talent to play that way. Show me a stat that shows how many TD's Woodson has given up. Woodson makes plays, but he also gets beaten sometimes.

I'm not saying Woodson doesn't deserve it, I'm saying it's close. To say otherwise... well, sorry Captain, that's just ignorant. I won't complain either way it goes. They have both had great years. But to say it isn't even close... ignorance.

I've watched them both this year, and have been more impressed with Woodson. In my book, you don't get points for "what you could have done in another system". Woodson is my choice for DPOY. It's not ignorant. It's my opinion. :D

Here's the real question. If Woodson put up the numbers he did as a Jet, and Revis was a Packer, would the voting be as close? :wacko:

I think not.

Edited by CaptainHook

I've watched them both this year, and have been more impressed with Woodson. In my book, you don't get points for "what you could have done in another system". Woodson is my choice for DPOY. It's not ignorant. It's my opinion. :D

Here's the real question. If Woodson put up the numbers he did as a Jet, and Revis was a Packer, would the voting be as close? :wacko:

I think not.

I didn't say preferring Woodson over Revis was ignorant, That's fine. You make it sounjd like Revis shouldn't even get consideration... and that would be ignorant. The game against the Colts was Revis' worst game of the year. He got beat deep and Manning over threw it. Like Rex Ryan said in the USA Today article, no CB in the league is asked to do what Revis does. That is in part because there may not be another CB in the league that could do what Revis does.

In the Jets' scheme, he doesn't blitz, he gets no deep help so he can't jump routes, he isn't allowed to take risks and gamble, still he had 6 INT's. What Revis does frees up other defenders to make those plays. Revis IS why the Jets have the #1 defense in the NFL. Period. Does Woodson make the GB defense a great one?

By midseason - People looked else ware for WR's points or certainly lowered expectations when playing against Revis in FF

No one considered benching a receiver against Woodson

I just think Woodson had a better overall year as a defender. Revis had a great year at cornerback, no doubt. But Woodson was just everywhere on defense. He led the league in interceptions. He scored TD's. He sacked the QB. He caused fumbles. He recovered fumbles. I just think he deserves the award the most.

Edited by CaptainHook

Revis: 54 tackles. 6 picks. 1 TD

Woodson:74 tackles. 9 picks. 3 TD. 4 forced fumbles. 2 sacks.

Revis may have shut down wide receivers, but Woodson was all over the field.

:wacko: All hail the stats.

Woodson had a fine year and all, but it should be Revis, IMO no question. Hell anyone who shuts out Chad 85 should get a medal for that alone. Didn't he say he'd change his name to Chad Limbaugh or some such if Revis shut him down (never mind out)?

This reminds me a lot of the R.Woodson/D.Sanders debates of a decade ago

Not even close. Sanders was one of the most overrated players ever. Sorry, I know he could cover and was fast and a great return man and all flashy and goofy and blabbery (all which the media so loves), but considering a defender who tackles like Tiny Tim (the singer or the cripple, take your pick) the best is a joke.

Not even close. Sanders was one of the most overrated players ever. Sorry, I know he could cover and was fast and a great return man and all flashy and goofy and blabbery (all which the media so loves), but considering a defender who tackles like Tiny Tim (the singer or the cripple, take your pick) the best is a joke.

Some valid points here, but I don't know that a player that opposing QB's wouldn't even look in the direction of for five years could ever be referred to as "overrated". Sanders is probably the best cover guy to ever put on a uniform, or at least is very high up in the conversation. I guess you would have to ask a coach how valuable that could truly be. Several opposing coaches were quoted of saying something to the like of "when we created the gameplan, we took an entire side of the field and told our QB it was off limits". I can't remember if it was one of those Sportscentury shows, or maybe one of the Fox shows, but they had at least 5-6 coaches all saying the same thing. I consider myself more of a purist than most, but geez, if a guy can cover that well, who really cares if he can tackle?

:wacko: Your clueless-ness knows no bounds.