[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for Viking fans...

Chief

The Vikes will need to know earlier than that for draft concerns. He might hold the franchise hostage if he can't make up his mind.

No, they really don't. The need to draft a young QB regardless of Brett's status this fall. And it was absolutely worth it. He got that team within a hair from the Super Bowl. That offense would be nowhere near it's level of production with Jackson or Rosenfels. And he elevated the play of those aroudn him which will pay dividends long after he's gone. Just look at Sidney Rice as exhibit A.

Ugh, Favre Watch 2010 is already interrupting the SB hype. But it won't be Favre holding the Vikes hostage, the most imprtant thing that has to happen in Minny is a new stadium deal and this is the time to get it done. If Favre returns I'd say $13 million is a small price to pay for another chance at an NFC title game and enough buzz around the team's play to finally build a new stadium. If he doesn't, I do agree that Ziggy is clearly willing to bring in another high-priced vet to keep Minny in the 10-12 win range.

You'll know Minny is serious about trading for a guy like McNabb if they give Favre an offseason ultimatum. I just don't see it happening...

Ugh, Favre Watch 2010 is already interrupting the SB hype. But it won't be Favre holding the Vikes hostage, the most imprtant thing that has to happen in Minny is a new stadium deal and this is the time to get it done. If Favre returns I'd say $13 million is a small price to pay for another chance at an NFC title game and enough buzz around the team's play to finally build a new stadium. If he doesn't, I do agree that Ziggy is clearly willing to bring in another high-priced vet to keep Minny in the 10-12 win range.

You'll know Minny is serious about trading for a guy like McNabb if they give Favre an offseason ultimatum. I just don't see it happening...

They gave him an ultimatum last year though. He'll still come back unless they get someone like McNabb.

Should teh Eagles make McNabb available, suitors would likely be limited to playoff-cusp and/or playoff-ready teams that feel they are ready to win now: Miami, Arizona, Jacksonville, San Francisco, and potentially Minnesota come to mind.

The caveat is that the Eagles would likely want a low #1/high #2 draft pick in return....in 2010's draft...meaning that a team would have to have its ducks in a row prior to the draft.

I doubt the Favre decision lingers past March. If I were the Vikes, I'd pick up the phone and tell him "Listen, we'd love to have you back for another year, but contingency plans are few and far between. We don't want the circus that last August was, and I'm sure you don't, either. We need to know your decision, which will be considered final, by March 31st."

The Eagles feel Kolb is likely another year away. It'd be kinda funny if they shipped McNabb to the Vikes in a trade for the 30th pick next year, then reunited Andy Reid and Brett Favre in Philly next year in a one-year deal :wacko:

I doubt the Favre decision lingers past March. If I were the Vikes, I'd pick up the phone and tell him "Listen, we'd love to have you back for another year, but contingency plans are few and far between. We don't want the circus that last August was, and I'm sure you don't, either. We need to know your decision, which will be considered final, by March 31st."

yeah . . cause that worked so well in the past . . .:wacko: Brett is above the law . . above any team . . . hell, he probably gives the commish his marching orders.

He will decide, and the reverse his decison 3 more times, whenever the hell he feels like it. And the Vikings will quietly wait and do what Brett says, as they know he is the best option for next year too . . .

Should teh Eagles make McNabb available, suitors would likely be limited to playoff-cusp and/or playoff-ready teams that feel they are ready to win now: Miami, Arizona, Jacksonville, San Francisco, and potentially Minnesota come to mind.

The caveat is that the Eagles would likely want a low #1/high #2 draft pick in return....in 2010's draft...meaning that a team would have to have its ducks in a row prior to the draft.

The Eagles feel Kolb is likely another year away. It'd be kinda funny if they shipped McNabb to the Vikes in a trade for the 30th pick next year, then reunited Andy Reid and Brett Favre in Philly next year in a one-year deal :wacko:

That's the problem, though. The Vikes set the precedent last year by allowing Favre to be bigger than the team and now they cant go back. Favre is holding all the cards as the Vikings need him more than he needs them and everyone knows it.

Chilly doesnt have the sack to put an ultimatum to Favre and he has no real leverage to enforce it even if he did. Favre has nothing to lose right now. If things dont fall into place the way he wants them to, he can just quit. Again.

Yes, it was worth it. Enjoyed every minute of it. :D

Felt ill after the INT...kept saying, "just tuck it and run"...with 1:30 on the board it was within reach...such a let down...but would do it again...

IF Brett retires, his last pass as a Packer and as a Viking will both be indicitative of who is / was as a player...high risk - high reward, making unorthodox throws and completing impossible plays; it is simply who he is and for him to go out any other way would not be Favre-like... Similar to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, in a blaze of glory, going out on his terms...

No doubt, a Super Bowl would have fantastic!

Finally, if the media hounds would leave him alone, I bet that Favre would give an answer sooner than August...no one, not just Brett, no one likes to be examined with a microphone / camera in the face every day...leave the guy alone and let him be...if he comes back, great, if not, move along....

(I sound like T.O., "that's my quarterback"....LOL....)

With regards to McNabb.... :wacko:

Following the Super Bowl, I need / am taking a football fast...LOL...

I read an SI article that was full of examples of how Brett worked with other Vikings players to help them improve their game. :D

Were those guys his immediate backup and heir apparent that might threaten his job like the Rodgers situation? :wacko: Or were they position players that help HIM out as well like Sidney Rice? :D

That's the problem, though. The Vikes set the precedent last year by allowing Favre to be bigger than the team and now they cant go back. Favre is holding all the cards as the Vikings need him more than he needs them and everyone knows it.

Why? last year was different in my eyes because they had a limited-risk chance to get Favre for one-year-at-a-time...they didn't have an alternative plan. This year they do, though that plan expires come draft-day.

Again, I think it would be an easy conversation to say "we have a chance to land a solid QB, and sign him toa 3-year deal which would solve our QB issues for the next several eyars while we draft a young gun to groom. that being said, we'd lvoe to have you back. But we need to know ASAP. If you can't make up your mind by March 31st, we need to take that as a "no" and go in another direction....where last year we had the luxury of being able to sign you in August and not adversely affect the team, this year is different because there is a solid Plan B that we can't pass up if you are retiring".

ETA: I think Chilly's sack may be a tad bigger than last year, if only because he internally might want McNabb for 3 years more than favre for one. Childress loved having McNabb as his QB...and vice versa. It wouldn't shock me one bit that, if this all plays out, it is revealed that Childress was the one that orchestated letting Favre walk and bringing McNabb in.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Yes, it was worth it. Enjoyed every minute of it. :D

Felt ill after the INT...kept saying, "just tuck it and run"...with 1:30 on the board it was within reach...such a let down...but would do it again...

IF Brett retires, his last pass as a Packer and as a Viking will both be indicitative of who is / was as a player...high risk - high reward, making unorthodox throws and completing impossible plays; it is simply who he is and for him to go out any other way would not be Favre-like... Similar to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, in a blaze of glory, going out on his terms...

No doubt, a Super Bowl would have fantastic!

Finally, if the media hounds would leave him alone, I bet that Favre would give an answer sooner than August...no one, not just Brett, no one likes to be examined with a microphone / camera in the face every day...leave the guy alone and let him be...if he comes back, great, if not, move along....

(I sound like T.O., "that's my quarterback"....LOL....)

With regards to McNabb.... :D

Following the Super Bowl, I need / am taking a football fast...LOL...

"blaze of glory", huh? You really think there was a lot of glory going around after he threw that pick? :D

"on his terms"? You're saying he threw the pick intentionally, then? :wacko:

And if Favre would make a decision and stick with it, the media hounds would stop harassing him because there would be no story...

Why? last year was different in my eyes because they had a limited-risk chance to get Favre for one-year-at-a-time...they didn't have an alternative plan. This year they do, though that plan expires come draft-day.

Again, I think it would be an easy conversation to say "we have a chance to land a solid QB, and sign him toa 3-year deal which would solve our QB issues for the next several eyars while we draft a young gun to groom. that being said, we'd lvoe to have you back. But we need to know ASAP. If you can't make up your mind by March 31st, we need to take that as a "no" and go in another direction....where last year we had the luxury of being able to sign you in August and not adversely affect the team, this year is different because there is a solid Plan B that we can't pass up if you are retiring".

ETA: I think Chilly's sack may be a tad bigger than last year, if only because he internally might want McNabb for 3 years more than favre for one. Childress loved having McNabb as his QB...and vice versa. It wouldn't shock me one bit that, if this all plays out, it is revealed that Childress was the one that orchestated letting Favre walk and bringing McNabb in.

You're exactly right. There are options for the Vikes, but all the contingency plans have expiration dates. Favre has shown he works on his own schedule. And that's the whole problem... :D

If Chilly thinks he can get McNabb, he may have a little more leverage than last summer, but I still cant imagine him trying to strong arm Favre into making a decision before he's ready. And its not like it would be unheard of for Favre to not give an answer in the timeframe the team wants, the team moves on, then Favre decides he does want back in and he then makes it look like the team turned its back on him after he had a Pro Bowl season :D

Edited by Delicious_bass

The same way he wouldn't teach Rodgers? :wacko:

I really think that when Favre said that, he was answering the question analytically and not as a person that isn't a good team member. Week to week, Favre has to learn about the team he's facing. Should he slow down and show Rodgers the process he is conducting and not learn everything he needs to learn for himself? Probably not. Favre has been a very good influence in the Vikes locker room. The local reporters said that he was seen talking to both Harvin and Peterson in the locker room after they both fumbled during the game. The guy knows that he can't win a team game by himself and brings the level of his teammates up and not down.

Rodgers has learned plenty from Favre. But Favre should not reduce his weekly game planning efforts to make sure that the backup QB will know how to play QB a few years down the road. The team does have coaches to do that.

Edited by MikesVikes