[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Rule Change Required...Re-do the NFC Divisions

Scooby's Hubby

Awesome that in Sept. Witten (a freakin TE who has been there all career) outsold beautiful Aaron Rodgers (QB and new starter)...

When with Dallas, TO's jersey sales (not just one month capture like sept '09) was tops in the NFL. Anytime you have a team change you spike in sales, like Vick in '09 or your Cutler stat.

Brady has how many MVP's and rings and he still doesn't outsell Romo. Vick doesn't even start a game yet (sept '09) and he outsells AP (ROY and superstud)...sounds like Philly has a pretty big market (of course Sept '09 was first time you could get his jersey). Think of all the McNabb spamshirts sold in the last decade. Now think of how many will sell in WASH. Thats a real market. I even saw a NYG fan in a Feagles jersey at a Dallas home game vs. the Giants.

You cannot just capture one month or one year, you know that more spamshirts sell out of the NFC East more than others. Nice try. :wacko: LOL

Look how long Brady has been a big time player. That's a lot of time for people to get there Brady spamshirts. The fact his been going this strong for this long should tell you something. Most people don't buy the same jersey 2-3 times within a few years, so you'll need to assume a large percent of his jersey sells are first time buyers.

And not sure where you're going with Witten/Rodgers jersey sales.

Found these numbers on sportsbusinessdaily.com

1. Reggie Bush

2. Peyton Manning

3. Troy Polamalu

4. Peyton Manning Third color Royal

5 Terrell Owens

6 Roy Williams

7 LaDainian Tomlinson

8 Ben Toethlisberger

1. RB LaDainian Tomlinson (Chargers)

2. RB Reggie Bush (Saints)

3. Brian Urlacher (Bears)

4. Peyton Manning (Colts)

5. Brett Favre (Packers)

6. Tom Brady (Patriots)

7. Troy Polamalu (Steelers)

8. Vince Young (Titans)

9. Adrian Peterson (Vikings)

10. Randy Moss (Patriots)

How about this... if the NFL started today, do you think there would be a team in say Buffalo? or New Orleans or Green Bay? Not enough population versus other cities like San Antonio and LA? The NFL has a good analysis on what it takes for a market to support an NFL team.

Another question is, Should a team like Buffalo (and I really don't want to pick on just Buffalo but they are a good example) move so that they could be in a bigger market and have local support dollars for a new stadium and attract more viewers for rating, etc.?

Green Bay doesn't fit any mold, and can't really be compared to another team/market. But that doesn't matter either way. It makes no difference what size stadium or how many people live in said teams area. That has nothing to do with being the best division in football.

If the polls are still open, we've got a very strong late charge from SH for newbie tool of the year. Nobody, I mean nobody started out the gate "stronger" and dude is just not taking his foot off the gas. A five-tool tool if I've ever seen one.

Greatness. I honestly think he's related to Muto in some way.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Bay doesn't fit any mold, and can't really be compared to another team/market. But that doesn't matter either way. It makes no difference what size stadium or how many people live in said teams area. That has nothing to do with being the best division in football

So you are saying that if the NFL started today, (which was the question you responded to) that Green Bay would get a team? Is the meat packing plant that they were named after still open? Buffalo would get a team? Not before New York would get two...

I don't think either city would get a team if the league stated today. Not enough "market" or money or fan support compared to other candidates like LA and San Antonio. You can open a team anywhere and have fans and some kind of a stadium, but start up costs in today's dollar and today's nfl would be more than when Green Bay was named after the packing plant (if started today, remember). I do not think the NFL, if started today, would award a team to Buffalo or Green Bay, not to offend any Packer or Bills fans.

Team values...Forbes list link...values are 2008 values, before Jerry World which Forbes says will add another $100 million to the team's already NFL leading market value...

http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/10/nfl-team-...10nfl_land.html

Gee whiz, it looks like Dallas is 1, WASH is 2, the NYG are 4 and Philly is 7th. That is for the whole NFL. If that doesn't tell you that the NFC East is the richest division in football, then I cannot help you. And yes, the AFC East is next.

Another article on league and team profits...

http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/02/nfl-pro-f...-09-values.html

Scoobs Hubby, I don't get your if started today crap. If it started today, you would have no basis for which realignment is needed, what teams would be worth what, and definitely from your first statement, you would have no clue if 3 teams would be above .500. The only reason any team is worth what it is, is their past, their glory days, and to some extent the modern technology. The NFL would be worth no where near what it is today with out the last 40-60 years of fan base, and the rivalries involved.

I hated the Packers, the Vikings, and the Bears. Tampa was the bottom feeder forever, so I didn't care about them. Eventually I came to respect Favre and other greats on the other division teams, but I still disliked the teams as a whole because they were in my division. The long standing history also has alot to do with that, the 40 year or more rivalries stir up alot of passion for fans, no matter what division you're in. My opinion, the past has as much to do with any teams success, and the NFL as a whole, the rivalries, the respected traditions, than any spiffy stadium. Would the Cowboys be worth near as much if never won a SB, never won a Division title? I sincerely doubt it. Would fans be as enamored without the storied rivalries, would just Calvin or Romo instill such passion? No way in hell.

With just today, with forgeting Billy Sims, Dexter Bussy, Bubba Baker, Barry Sanders, NightTrain Lane to name a few, would I be such a diehard Lions fan, I would probably say no because fantasy football would make me like quite a few teams, and I'd have no reason to be loyal to the Lions, and hate the rest of the division, even if they have players on my fantasy team. To some of us, tradition is priceless, and like they say, sometimes, be very careful what you wish for.

So you are saying that if the NFL started today, (which was the question you responded to) that Green Bay would get a team? Is the meat packing plant that they were named after still open?

Not that one. Originally named for Indian Packing company, which was bought out by Acme Packing company (Where Packers first spamshirts said "ACME PACKERS". But that is no longer around, tht there are still packing companies in Green Bay.

Not that one. Originally named for Indian Packing company, which was bought out by Acme Packing company (Where Packers first spamshirts said "ACME PACKERS". But that is no longer around, tht there are still packing companies in Green Bay.

What are they packing up there in Green Bay? :wacko:

Green Bay doesn't fit any mold, and can't really be compared to another team/market. But that doesn't matter either way. It makes no difference what size stadium or how many people live in said teams area. That has nothing to do with being the best division in football

So you are saying that if the NFL started today, (which was the question you responded to) that Green Bay would get a team? Is the meat packing plant that they were named after still open? Buffalo would get a team? Not before New York would get two...

I don't think either city would get a team if the league stated today. Not enough "market" or money or fan support compared to other candidates like LA and San Antonio. You can open a team anywhere and have fans and some kind of a stadium, but start up costs in today's dollar and today's nfl would be more than when Green Bay was named after the packing plant (if started today, remember). I do not think the NFL, if started today, would award a team to Buffalo or Green Bay, not to offend any Packer or Bills fans.

Ok, where is the ignore feature?

I like your argument that the Super Bowls won by teams in the NFC East does help their value. So does being in the leagues' biggest markets (city). Just look at the factors that go into Forbes List.

BUT, can't I go to a divisional rivalry game without having to travel 1,000+ miles to NY, Philly, or WASH? Those 3 teams are very close to each other and do not have to travel that far for road games. They each go to Dallas once, but Dallas goes to them 3 times. Being in the NFC East, Dallas fans cannot easily travel with the team like everyone else in this division gets to do. What would be wrong with Dallas being in a NewOrleans, Atalanta division? Travel would be less, Dallas would still be in a competitive division. I see a great rivalry between Dallas and New Orleans that could happen. I would be able to travel to that road game (6 hour drive, 8 from Dallas). Also, you would bust up the division that has 4 of the top 10 markets for the entire league and could spread the wealth a little more. I bet a Cowboy game in NO or Atlanta would easily sell out and have bigger TV ratings than any game NO or Atlanta plays within thier division now. (Dallas does travel to NO this year and with in-laws there, Scooby and I may go)

And take it easy on me, this is just talk. I know league tradition does not want change, and personally, I like the rivalries. But when Goodell gets this league to go international, which will happen, then London and Mexico City will have to be put into a division. LA and, I wish SanAntonio would need to be in a division; so re-alignment is very possible, in the future when expansion occurs.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I like your argument that the Super Bowls won by teams in the NFC East does help their value. So does being in the leagues' biggest markets (city). Just look at the factors that go into Forbes List.

BUT, can't I go to a divisional rivalry game without having to travel 1,000+ miles to NY, Philly, or WASH? Those 3 teams are very close to each other and do not have to travel that far for road games. They each go to Dallas once, but Dallas goes to them 3 times. Being in the NFC East, Dallas fans cannot easily travel with the team like everyone else in this division gets to do. What would be wrong with Dallas being in a NewOrleans, Atalanta division? Travel would be less, Dallas would still be in a competitive division. I see a great rivalry between Dallas and New Orleans that could happen. I would be able to travel to that road game (6 hour drive, 8 from Dallas). Also, you would bust up the division that has 4 of the top 10 markets for the entire league and could spread the wealth a little more. I bet a Cowboy game in NO or Atlanta would easily sell out and have bigger TV ratings than any game NO or Atlanta plays within thier division now. (Dallas does travel to NO this year and with in-laws there, Scooby and I may go)

And take it easy on me, this is just talk. I know league tradition does not want change, and personally, I like the rivalries. But when Goodell gets this league to go international, which will happen, then London and Mexico City will have to be put into a division. LA and, I wish SanAntonio would need to be in a division; so re-alignment is very possible, in the future when expansion occurs.

Here's a thought. Instead of blowing smoke about some ill-conceived notion that the NFC East is the best division in football due to their markets and should therefore be broken up and sent to the far corners of the country never to meet again, as if they were William Wallace himself. Why don't you just admit that your only motivation for this entire notion is because you have your panties in a wad over your travel expenses for Dallas Road Games.

Dallas has one of the largest and most nationwide fan bases you will find in all of sports...many Dallas fans take short trips to those games versus the Eagles, Skins and Giants.