[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 Foot Pole List

tazinib1

It's that time of year everbody will be listing who they will draft ... blah blah blah. Well the 10 Foot Pole List is a list I started a few years ago of guys I wouldn't touch with a 10 Foot Pole.

Each year they are different for different reasons. Some are personal and some are based on sound stat evidence. Alot of players listed are based on there ADP. Most commonly though, alot of people will put somebody on there 10 FPL because they just don't like the dude. Fair enough.

Here are my 5 players on the 2010 10 Foot Pole List

1. Jeremy Shockey .... never..not in a million years will I draft this puke.

2. Austin Miles ..... I'm sorry but I'm not burning a 2nd round pick on a 1 year wonder

3. Chris Wells .... I will never own Beanie the Weanie..Ever

4. Darren McFadden .... What did we all say about Tooth Pick legs?

5. Kellen Winslow ... You're father obviously did not pass down the HOF genes to you kid. Shut up and play.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's that time of year everbody will be listing who they will draft ... blah blah blah. Well the 10 Foot Pole List is a list I started a few years ago of guys I wouldn't touch with a 10 Foot Pole.

Each year they are different for different reasons. Some are personal and some are based on sound stat evidence. Alot of players listed are based on there ADP. Most commonly though, alot of people will put somebody on there 10 FPL because they just don't like the dude. Fair enough.

Here are my 5 players on the 2010 10 Foot Pole List

1. Jeremy Shockey .... never..not in a million years will I draft this puke.

2. Austin Miles ..... I'm sorry but I'm not burning a 2nd round pick on a 1 year wonder

3. Chris Wells .... I will never own Beanie the Weanie..Ever

4. Darren McFadden .... What did we all say about Tooth Pick legs?

5. Kellen Winslow ... You're father obviously did not pass down the HOF genes to you kid. Shut up and play.

Good topic and good list, for the most part, IMO.

I'd take Shockey as a TE2 if he fell rather far. The Saint offense is just too potent to not own as many Saints as possible, even if it's a "puke" who'll have some competition this season. Not gonna reach there, though.

Right there with you on Miles and Wells, though.

I'd take McFadden as a flier in later rounds if he fell, especially in a PPR. I wouldn't want him as anything other than a bye-week filler, though.

I'd also take Winslow. Sure, his mouth is a detriment, but the guy's talented and will be busy with Josh Freeman getting more comfortable. Again, I'm not gonna reach. And, IMO, he's a TE1 - TE2 tweener. Too risky for a TE1, but won't last until the rounds where you'd be considering TE2.

I'll add:

1. DeSean Jackson - unless he falls, I will stay away. IMO, he's too risky to be a WR2 but won't last until you're looking for WR3, in most cases.

2. Felix Jones - maybe I'm stretchin' it in terms of "ten foot pole-ing" this guy, but I won't reach for Jones. Not with Barber and Choice healthy(ish?) and Romo chucking the ball all over the field.

3. Hakeem Nicks - everyone expects him to improve, but I think Steve Smith is the Giant WR to own, I think Kevin Boss will command more attention, and Mario Manningham may progress more than people think. I'll pass.

I try not to hold grudges against players, so I will say there's really no one I will not touch. However, their is a group of players that I believe to be overvalued. They aren't really on my radar, since I know they will be gone before I would consider them.

1. DeSean Jackson - I can say without a doubt that he is the most overvalued player in all of fantasy to me. 8 of his 9 TD's came from over 50 yards. His TD total from last year is about the flukiest stat I've ever seen. I think you have to realisticly cut his TD's in half on any projections you do for him. This makes him a low end #2 and a high end #3. I've seen allot of people list him in their top 5 WR's

2. Jamal Charles - People tend to focus on stats too much. Esspecially those of 2nd half fantasy heros. Charles situation isn't quite as good as it was after LJ was shown the door last year. TJones has been brought in to take some of that workload. Charles had ridiculous numbers in the 2nd half of last year. 167 of his 190 carries came from week 9 on. Those that are extrapilating those numbers into a full seasons worth of work are kidding themselves. KC would be best suited to limit their most explosive offensive players touches in order to keep him fresh throughout the year. Once again, he will be taken far before I would consider him.

3. Donald Driver - The offseason knee surgeries on both knees has scared me away. I won't be touching Driver, but I would like to knab one of either James Jones or Jordy Nelson late.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

You guys are nuts about Jackson. That guy is a ridiculous talent. Do we penalize Chris Johnson for having long runs? Jackson is a bona fide Superstar, and it would surprise me none if his TD total went into double-digits in his 3rd year.

Guys I'm not touching...

Stephen Jackson

Matt Stafford

Lee Evans

Clinton Portis

Matt Forte

You guys are nuts about Jackson. That guy is a ridiculous talent. Do we penalize Chris Johnson for having long runs? Jackson is a bona fide Superstar, and it would surprise me none if his TD total went into double-digits in his 3rd year.

Guys I'm not touching...

Stephen Jackson

Matt Stafford

Lee Evans

Clinton Portis

Matt Forte

Surprise, surprise, Seahawk disagrees with me. I'm not saying the dude doesn't have talent, but 8 TD's from a distance of 50 yards or more? How can you say that his TD total from last year wasn't flukish? Do you want to put some money on 9 TD's? I will take the under and you can take the over?

I know Austin was a one year wonder but he never really came back to earth after he began to tear it up last year. I think most people thought that he would, but it just didn't happen. Personally, I don't see how he isn't going to at least repeat what he did last year considering their easy schedule against the pass and all the weapons they have. I would totally spend an early 2nd round pick on the guy but that's just me.

Five I wouldn't touch:

Steven Jackson (awesome player but always a disappointment)

Darren McFadden (third time's the charm? I doubt it!)

Lesean McCoy (just don't see him having "it" plus the crowded backfield in a pass heavy offense)

Any SD Charger

Anquan Boldin (another beast, just not the right team for him as far as fantasy production goes)

Marshall Faulk

Eddie George

Robert Smith

Ricky Watters

Shaun Alexander

Gonna roll the dice and not touch any of these guys this year just got a gut feeling there best days are behind them.... :wacko:

Don't forget Edgerrin James

If I consider the concept of the 10 foot pole to mean "guys I will never draft because I guarantee someone else will pick him before I do", here's my list:

Matt Forte

Clinton Portis

Jerome Harrison

DeSean Jackson

Vincent Jackson (assuming he holds out which seems like a lock)

Donald Driver

Greg Olsen

Drew Brees (uh, hello... he's on the cover of Madden) :wacko:

Lesean McCoy (just don't see him having "it" plus the crowded backfield in a pass heavy offense)

Any SD Charger

:wacko:

LeSean McCoy: Crowded backfield? What are you smoking?

And SD Charger? Ummmm what?????????????

If I consider the concept of the 10 foot pole to mean "guys I will never draft because I guarantee someone else will pick him before I do"

Well that's different - lot of guys like that who are likely to not make my team (but again if cheap enough, very well could), like:

S Jackson - injury risk, pass

Wells - that plus no Warner plus Hightower factor

Fitz - no Warner

Wayne - for a top WR w/those kind of stats, Mr Dropsies had too many clunkers last year and has a LOT of sharing going on this year

CJ (the RB) - will cost too much as people chase last year

D Williams - too much RBBC action

Charles - RBBC, possible 1 yr wonder

Addai - does this really need explaining

Shaub - injury risk, costs too much, and will there be enough of a running game to keep Ds honest?

Kolb - unproven to say the least

Clark, Gates, Gonzo - TE is very very deep this year, not spending the extra $ here

Edited by BeeR

D Williams - too much RBBC action

Charles - RBBC, possible 1 yr wonder

These guys may go higher than I'm willing to draft them but the RBBC is simply the way football is played now for the most part. Outside of a few teams, you are going to be forced into drafting a RB in a RBBC situation.

Oh and I liked your reasoning on most of the guys on your list.

Perhaps I should rephrase... I think the way that MTsuper put it is well said about not drafting certain players because others will pick them first. I will personally not draft any Chargers unless the value is more than favorable. But too many overall question marks imo. Yes, Rivers is a stud but his schedule isn't as cake as it looks. Plus SD is not as pass heavy as everybody thinks (they were 25th in pass attempts last year). With their new back, they're probably going to run even more. Can't forget that their left tackle is currently holding out. I woulnd't touch a SD WR with the V-Jax distraction. It is sounding like the long holdout is a very serious possibility. We all know how well that always works out. Everybody is hyping Floyd but he hasn't really stepped it up. Maybe this is his year with a missing V-Jax? I don't know but I don't really want to hope that he does break out. And I don't think Ryan Mathews is worth a second round pick (as he's going in current mocks) - he's a rookie and might be a little fragile. If he's good this year, I'll be more than happy to select him next season. But I'm not gambling on SD Chargers this season. Just my 2 cents. Give me Dallas Cowboys instead :wacko:

Steven Jackson (awesome player but always a disappointment)

Not always (paging Seahawks21) :wacko:

And regarding Jackson: yes, those that worried about his long TD total are indeed onto something. McNabb loved heaving it 30-40 yards, and having Jackson run under it and take it to the house. There won't nearly be as many of those this year, as the Eagles will go the short, quick-strike route much more often with the weaker-armed (but more accurate) Kolb. Jackson's receptions will be up, though, and he was indeed the red zone target of choice last year. Just don't expect as many long ones.

I think he still flirts with 10 TDs, but only 4-5 will be 50+yards, while the others will be the fruit of red zone targets.

I shouldn't be commenting on your 10 Foot Pole players as there is a reason for everybody to include one. Like it or not, these are the guys we, as a FF community, will not draft. Good reasons or bad...thats the nature of the list and post. Sorry...got carried away.

I shouldn't be commenting on your 10 Foot Pole players as there is a reason for everybody to include one. Like it or not, these are the guys we, as a FF community, will not draft. Good reasons or bad...thats the nature of the list and post. Sorry...got carried away.

It's your thread. You're allowed to comment.

Lee Evans

Beanie Wells

Any Giants RB

Any Bills RB

Any Seahawks RB/ WR

. . . all depending on value of course :wacko:

Thats a pretty good list. I would consider Golden Tate late though, I think he might be the best ff rookie wr this year.

Braylon

Beanie Wells

Reggie Bush