[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick named starter for week 3

wolfer

I guess Reid finally figured out this was a no-lose situation. Why fight the tide? Let this Vick thing play out. Either he surprises everybody and does this week after week, or he crashes and burns and soon enough the Philly fans will start calling for Kolb again, at which point Reid can go back to plan A. In any case, this move will likely move some tickets, giving the fans what they want every step of the way.

And the Eagles can franchise Vick next year if they decide to keep him so that is not much of an issue.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Reid finally figured out this was a no-lose situation. Why fight the tide? Let this Vick thing play out. Either he surprises everybody and does this week after week, or he crashes and burns and soon enough the Philly fans will start calling for Kolb again, at which point Reid can go back to plan A. In any case, this move will likely move some tickets, giving the fans what they want every step of the way.

And the Eagles can franchise Vick next year if they decide to keep him so that is not much of an issue.

So they'll tie up $26 million in 2 quarterbacks for 2011? No, they won't so that isn't an option.

So they'll tie up $26 million in 2 quarterbacks for 2011? No, they won't so that isn't an option.

I would assume that if they decide to keep Vick, Kolb would be jettisoned. Not saying that will happen.

They can franchise him at the end of this year and get top dollar on a trade for him and make up the cost of not letting Kolb play this year.

I'm not buying into these "they'll just trade him" scenarios since the Eagles might be willing to trade but who out there is going to meet their price? It won't be that simple. He IS over 30, AND a convicted felon that some teams simply won't consider. This won't be some guy lighting it up still on his rookie contract and will have perception problems around the league to overcome. They tag him and it's $14mil for the year which the new team will have to negotiate out of, but based on a franchise tag.

:wacko:

Ok, he'll be a Raider.

I'm not buying into these "they'll just trade him" scenarios since the Eagles might be willing to trade but who out there is going to meet their price? It won't be that simple. He IS over 30, AND a convicted felon that some teams simply won't consider. This won't be some guy lighting it up still on his rookie contract and will have perception problems around the league to overcome. They tag him and it's $14mil for the year which the new team will have to negotiate out of, but based on a franchise tag.

Ok, he'll be a Raider.

There you go!

This is actually one of the most interesting QB controversies I've seen in years.

Ok, he'll be a Raider.

30's not that old. A team in contention would love to upgrade their QB for 3 or 4 years.

Jets

Vikings

Carolina

Arizona

Jax

Tennessee

Oakland

Ok, some will be better teams than others but you get the point

And i think he has cleaned up his image quite a bit. He's done and said all the right things. America loves redemption stories and i think most teams would take him on.

30's not that old. A team in contention would love to upgrade their QB for 3 or 4 years.

Jets

Vikings

Carolina

Arizona

Jax

Tennessee

Oakland

And i think he has cleaned up his image quite a bit. He's done and said all the right things. America loves redemption stories and i think most teams would take him on.

Since that dude got shot at his birthday party.

Jets

Vikings

Carolina

Arizona

Jax

Tennessee

Oakland

Well, he's still got some speed but when that is a major part of your game then 30 is the beginning of the end. And of that list, really only Arizona and Oakland might qualify, with a possible nod to Minnesota. I would find it hard to believe Jax thinks QB is their problem (it isn't), same with NYJ & Car who would likely be better off letting their new guys take their lumps/chops in the long run. I suppose Tennessee is an interesting possibility, but I cannot see Fisher putting up with Vick's crap for more than a minute if he regressed - and having an old dog fighting cohort shot at a party you attended would qualify in that category. This isn't Madden franchise, and it's going to get ugly in Philly now although I suppose they asked for it by bringing him into the fold in the first place.

He contends they should've kept Mcnabb for 2010 but they couldn't have kept all 3.

Maybe Vick was a stronger option in the back of Reid's mind than any of us counted on?

Well, Vick is stronger in that he still can run unlike McNabb but has a better pocket presence then he once had. I still think Kolb is the future of this team but they are paying for them, might as well win I guess. Granted, I think Kolb would be fine by week 5 or 6.

I just dunno. I rocked on the deal but I do think it's a poor business decision.

Well, he's still got some speed but when that is a major part of your game then 30 is the beginning of the end. And of that list, really only Arizona and Oakland might qualify, with a possible nod to Minnesota. I would find it hard to believe Jax thinks QB is their problem (it isn't), same with NYJ & Car who would likely be better off letting their new guys take their lumps/chops in the long run. I suppose Tennessee is an interesting possibility, but I cannot see Fisher putting up with Vick's crap for more than a minute if he regressed - and having an old dog fighting cohort shot at a party you attended would qualify in that category. This isn't Madden franchise, and it's going to get ugly in Philly now although I suppose they asked for it by bringing him into the fold in the first place.

fair enough. a couple of those are long shots. just throwing those teams out there after a very quick look.

Maybe Reid realized the offensive line was going to allow jail-breaks all season long and figured an ex-con would best cope with that situation.

Does anybody remember the Falcons under Vick? The league was adapting to the novelty of his skill set - here are some of Atlanta's records with Vick under center:

2002 9-6-1

2003 injured

2004 11-5

2005 8-8

2006 7-9

These teams had issues other than Vick, but the point is he's no cure-all. The TB defense (which was admittedly fantastic) could stop him cold and it's not going to take defenses long to figure him out this time either. How far do you think the Eagles are really going to go with this strategy?

Now at the age of 30, it's unlikely that his running abilities are better than when he entered the league. It's possible he's a better pocket passer, but then that's not why you're going to start him. From Philly's perspective, it seems way more logical to take some lumps this year, mature Kolb, and then be in a position to make deeper playoff runs over the next 2-5 years. Bradford's going to get creamed behind his O-line, but that's the only way to learn. Maybe they don't want another Westbrook situation on their hands (multiple concussions), but then they should just come out and say that.

The upside from starting Vick seems fairly short term, unless Reid was already having second thoughts about Kolb. Kinda makes you wonder, given the number of snaps Vick was taking before Kolb got injured in the GB game.