[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some all-time Playoff numbers to chew on.

keggerz

he has played in 208 regular season games plus playoffs, are you really going to make me go thru each of those game logs :wacko:

Like I said, he spouts these things off without having any facts to back them up. People think he's fishing, but he actually believes it. (I know, because he will actually bet on it. He does pay up.) Don't waste your time. He's clueless. You'll prove him wrong and he'll just come in and spout another inaccurate statement.

Edited by CaptainHook

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On topic, Manning has taken some very flawed teams into the playoffs, which account for a few of his "one-and-dones". Just last year, the Colts were in the Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked running game. He won a Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked rushing defense. And this year's team had no business being in the playoffs. If anybody in the else in the AFC South was any good, they would not have been. But to be brutally honest, he has not shown up in a few games over the years as well.

I have decided to embrace Manning for what he is. A brilliant regular season QB that can mask a lot of his team's weaknesses. But he is not a "great" playoff QB. He can be. But he can also have some real stinkers. (Hasn't Tom Brady been one-and-done at home the last two years?) It has been fun watching the Colts with him at QB. Frustrating at times too. But the Colts were a joke before he arrived. I was a season ticket holder during those lean years. He has put the Colts in 3 AFC Championships (winning 2) and 2 Super Bowls (winning 1). The ride has been a lot of fun, and most teams would kill for that kind of success. Do I wish he had a couple more rings? Sure. But he's still got 5 years left, and I'm going to enjoy them.

Edited by CaptainHook

How many playoff seasons would he have if he played in the NFC East Where my Giants are? He plays in a weak division with scrub clubs no other division wanted.

Off the Jaguar bandwagon, I see. :wacko: big shock

Edited by CaptainHook

How many playoff seasons would he have if he played in the NFC East Where my Giants are? He plays in a weak division with scrub clubs no other division wanted.

:wacko:

Oh, and the NFC East would give all divisions other than the NFC West a run for worse division this past year, with the Skins & Boys being in it.

Edited by Menudo

Some Manning/Brady numbers

Manning has 7 "1 & dones" 4 of those have been on the road

Brady has 2 "1 & dones" both have been at HOME.

SB records:

Manning is 1-1

Brady is 3-1

Home Playoff records:

Manning 6-4 and has never lost 2 consecutive times at home in the playoffs(yes I know that has to occur over 2 seasons)

Brady 8-2 and has lost his last 2 home playoff games which happens to be 2 consecutive playoff appearances.

Road Playoff records:

Manning 2-5

Brady 3-2

Figured I should look at the other top 14 QBs but since it takes so long I did Montana (and I picked him without having any clue how it would look too)

Montana 2-5 in away games (his overall PO record was 16-7, Home: 10-2, Away 2-5 and SBs 4-0)

My guess is that many of the other QBs will have similarly poor road records vs their home records but at this point not sure when I will get into that digging.

Edited by keggerz

Some Manning/Brady numbers

Manning has 7 "1 & dones" 4 of those have been on the road

Brady has 2 "1 & dones" both have been at HOME.

SB records:

Manning is 1-1

Brady is 3-0

Home Playoff records:

Manning 6-4 and has never lost 2 consecutive times at home in the playoffs(yes I know that has to occur over 2 seasons)

Brady 8-2 and has lost his last 2 home playoff games which happens to be 2 consecutive playoff appearances.

Road Playoff records:

Manning 2-5

Brady 3-2

Figured I should look at the other top 14 QBs but since it takes so long I did Montana (and I picked him without having any clue how it would look too)

Montana 2-5 in away games (his overall PO record was 16-7, Home: 10-2, Away 2-5 and SBs 4-0)

My guess is that many of the other QBs will have similarly poor road records vs their home records but at this point not sure when I will get into that digging.

I'm pretty sure Brady is 3-1 in Super Bowls :wacko:

Name.......playoffs..........years played.......% made POs.....1 & dones..% of times 1 & doneFavre.......12..................20..................60%................3.............25% Montana.....11..................15..................73%................4.............36%PManning....11..................13..................85%................7.............64%Marino......10..................17..................59%................3.............30%Bradshaw.....9..................14..................64%................3..............33%Elway........9..................16..................56%................3..............33%Staubach.....8..................11..................73%................3.............38%Kelly........8..................11..................73%................2..............25%Brady........7..................11..................64%................2..............29%Aikman.......7..................12..................58%................2.............29%McNabb.......7..................12..................58%................1..............14%Young........7..................15..................47%................1..............14%Griese.......7..................14..................50%................4..............57%Moon.........7..................17..................41%................4..............57%Roethlisberger.........5..................7..................71%................1..............20%

I added a name to keep an eye on at the bottom of your list.

:wacko:

Yeah Big Ben is another QB that should definatly be on the radar for this kind of stat (he just hasn't played as many years yet)

I coiuld also see Rogers making this list eventually.

Thanks for the wonderful stats Kegz keep up the good work

Yeah Big Ben is another QB that should definatly be on the radar for this kind of stat (he just hasn't played as many years yet)

I coiuld also see Rogers making this list eventually.

Thanks for the wonderful stats Kegz keep up the good work

No problem and glad you liked them.

sidebar:

Mark Sanchez is 4-1 in road playoff games. Not a bad start to a career.

Flacco has a pretty good record so far too. And he hasn't had a home playoff game yet, IIRC.

all 3 guys do have very nice starts to their careers but like I said I had a cut off that I used and didn't even look outside of that parameter..and Sanchez being 4-1 on the road is crazy good.

sidebar:

Mark Sanchez is 4-1 in road playoff games. Not a bad start to a career.

Yup.

Playoffs-2 Years played- 2 % POS- 100% 1 and dones- 0 % of times one and done-0.00%

I have also heard on radio that Sanchez has already tied the NFL record for road playoff wins CAREER with 4. If the Jets beat PIT, he will establish a new NFL record for playoff road wins CAREER. And it's only his second year. (Super Bowls are not counted)

Nicely done Keggerz. Still, Manning tightens up and presses in the playoffs, unless the Colts get up quick. The tighter the game gets, the tighter his cheeks get. It probably doesn't make him a choker or a poor QB by any stretch, and he does have some somewhat flawed teams, but he doesn't exactly play his best ball in the biggest situations. If I remember right, he rolled KC and DEN in back to back weeks. They put up 40+ in both games. I mean, the guy was absolutely rolling. One of my buddies, a huge Manning fan, was going on and on about how dominant he had been and how he could never be stopped etc, etc. This was the morning he was playing the Pats in the snow. I said to him "sure, but we don't know what will happen yet when he faces some adversity." I believe that day was the Ty Law game. Peyton pressed at the first sign of adversity and proceeded to just make horrible decision after horrible decision. He got tight and pressed, and has done it several times since. Not sure you need to add a lot of meaning to it, it is what it is.

Edited by Seahawks21

Your leaders in career playoff road victories? Len Dawson, Roger Staubach (well duh, they were GREAT QBs in their prime!), Jake Delhomme, Mark SINTchez, Joe Flaccid, all with 4. Big knot of guys with 3.

Also, another nugget that I stumbled across this week - Len Dawson, Eli Manning, and Aaron Rodgers are the only 3 QBs to start in a Super Bowl before starting a home playoff game.

Juicyjuice was ragging on Manning (stating how Manning has seven 1 and dones in the playoffs) in a thread that had nothing to do with Manning but still what he said kinda got me thinking so without further adieu....

Can you guess how many starting QBs have 7 or more playoff appearances since the NFL merger in 1970?

Answer: 14 QBs since the merger in 1970 have made the playoffs as a starting QB 7 or more times.

Back to the 1 and dones juicyjuice was talking about, the list below does show that Peyton Manning has more 1 and ones then the other 14 but he has also made the playoffs in a higher % of his years played then any other QB on the list too.

As for the list, the 1st number is the number of times they made the playoffs....the next is the number of seasons they played in the NFL...the next number is the % of times they made the playoffs during their career...the next number is their 1 and dones and the last is the % of times they went 1 and done in their career.

Name.......playoffs..........years played.......% made POs.....1 & dones..% of times 1 & doneFavre.......12..................20..................60%................3.............25% Montana.....11..................15..................73%................4.............36%PManning....11..................13..................85%................7.............64%Marino......10..................17..................59%................3.............30%Bradshaw.....9..................14..................64%................3..............33%Elway........9..................16..................56%................3..............33%Staubach.....8..................11..................73%................3.............38%Kelly........8..................11..................73%................2..............25%Brady........7..................11..................64%................2..............29%Aikman.......7..................12..................58%................2.............29%McNabb.......7..................12..................58%................1..............14%Young........7..................15..................47%................1..............14%Griese.......7..................14..................50%................4..............57%Moon.........7..................17..................41%................4..............57%

With all due respect, I don't see how this blows the argument of him being a play-off choker out of the water. For starters, play-off expansion has out-paced league expansion, so any QB is more likely to make the play-offs now than they used to. Mind you, there are plenty on that list who have benefited from the same play-off scenario that Manning did.

However, he has almost 2x as many 1 and dones as anyone else on the list and marginally more appearances than most. That is the debate. That he's made the play-offs more often as a percentage of years played is another topic entirely. That is something to be used on the plus-side of the debate about his overall merits, but not one that can disprove the fact that he's been very unsuccessful in the play-offs. If he led in total 1 and dones but not in % of one and dones, that would be one thing. But the only ones even close to him in either total or % are Griese and Moon, and unless the argument is that Manning is better than Greise and Moon (which I would hope few here would debate), then you've done little to forward your cause.

Obviously, there are a ton of other stats involved to paint the whole picture. As a Niner fan, I always thought Young got an unfair shake compared to Montana because the rest of the league had simply caught up to the Niners by the time Young took over. He often did plenty to get them to the SB but the D let him down. And Montana won a ton of 21-17 games. Not saying this to take anything away from the QB that lead my hometown team from oblivion to the pinnacle of sports, but he had help. However, you're the one who posted that collection of stats, so one would think that they were posted in an effort to make a point.

And honestly, I don't have a dog in the fight. I've actually rooted for Indy many of the years when they were putting a good run together because I wanted to see them close the deal and silence the critics. Because I'm a bit of a UT guy, I've basically rooted from him from the beginning. I've grown a bit tired of his act over time, but am certainly not predisposed to root against him.

I'm just looking at the facts above and wondering how this vindicates him in terms of his play-off performance.

With all due respect, I don't see how this blows the argument of him being a play-off choker out of the water....

Very good counterpoints about the stats, but I think the sheer volume and % of making the playoffs shouldn't be discounted.

I don't have any dog in this fight either, but I look at it like Bobby Cox and the Braves. If you take your team to 14 straight division titles but your team only wins 1 world series, then I'd argue the team had more to do with falling short than you did... It is still a team effort, so I'm not ready to put the blame solely on Manning's shoulders, even though history wants to.

Was he at fault some of the time, sure, but how many of those games could have turned out differently had they had a stronger defense and running game? Who knows, but if he's done that much with obvious weaknesses....

Very good counterpoints about the stats, but I think the sheer volume and % of making the playoffs shouldn't be discounted.

I don't have any dog in this fight either, but I look at it like Bobby Cox and the Braves. If you take your team to 14 straight division titles but your team only wins 1 world series, then I'd argue the team had more to do with falling short than you did... It is still a team effort, so I'm not ready to put the blame solely on Manning's shoulders, even though history wants to.

Was he at fault some of the time, sure, but how many of those games could have turned out differently had they had a stronger defense and running game? Who knows, but if he's done that much with obvious weaknesses....

Well, in truth, it's not like history is crapping on Manning. Juicy Juice is crapping on Manning. Manning's name always comes up when we're discussing great QBs, of both now and all-time. But when we start lining up pros and cons, the frequency with which he failed to win even one play-off game given all the chances he had to do so, absolutely stands out as a festering con. Just like you put how often he took his team to the play-offs in the pro side.

So, again, in the overall evaluation, the two negate each other to some extent. However, if the discussion is specifically about him tanking in the play-offs, it very much does not. And I doubt taking a step back and looking at the caliber of the team in general during that stretch is going to paint him much better. It's not like they've been sneaking in despite talent and losing to teams they were expected to lose to. As many years as not, it was the other way around. I'm curious about how many of those play-off losses were at home.