[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2011 QB Wonderlic scores

Bronco Billy

Very interesting article. The rule of 26-27-60:

Top pick Sam Bradford scored a 36 on the Wonderlic, started 31 games at Oklahoma and completed 67 percent of his passes.

Getty Images

Perhaps we should not be stunned by JaMarcus Russell's utter flop as an NFL quarterback -- low-lighted this week by his arrest for possession of a controlled substance in Alabama.

But could a simple formula have warned us of Russell's lack of NFL readiness? And Ryan Leaf's and David Carr's and other failed, high-pick quarterbacks?

Call it the Rule of 26-27-60.

Here is the gist of it: If an NFL prospect scores at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, starts at least 27 games in his college career and completes at least 60 percent of his passes, there's a good chance he will succeed at the NFL level.

link

This year's bunch:

QB Wonderlic/Starts/Completion Pct.

Greg McElroy 43/27/66

Blaine Gabbert 42/26/61

Scott Tolzien 38/26/68

Kaepernick 37/46/58

Christian Ponder 35/34/62

Ricky Stanzi 30/35/60

Andy Dalton 29/49/62

Ryan Mallett 26/29/60

Cam Newton 21/16/65

Jake Locker 20/39/54

Edited by Bronco Billy

Ponder is my selection for the best QB in this draft and this helps my case. Probably the most NFL ready QB, I'm sure a west coast offense oriented team will snap him up before the 2nd round. At the very least, he should go ahead of Locker and Mallet IMO.

He and Stanzi I think are the two best. Gabbert has a shot as well but I need a tad more convincing.

Havn't done any research on Stanzi but I think Ponder and Special K are the 2 most ready NFL QB's in this draft. I'm moving Ponder ahead of Special K as of now.

As far as Gabbert goes, I'm luke warm on him as well. We'll see what he does on his Pro Day today.

Havn't done any research on Stanzi but I think Ponder and Special K are the 2 most ready NFL QB's in this draft. I'm moving Ponder ahead of Special K as of now.

As far as Gabbert goes, I'm luke warm on him as well. We'll see what he does on his Pro Day today.

I loved Stanzi's prospects coming into this season. He seems to regressed in his decision making, especially under pressure and when the game is on the line. Don't know what got into his head, and I'm not sure it can be undone.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Look how long it took him to be a QB and not a RB who threw the ball. His legs kept him in the league when his passing numbers would have washed him out.

And he hasn't even been a QB for a full season yet.

Memo to JaMarcus: don't just drink that drank, sell it across state lines. Lots of it. Couple years in Leavenworth, tell everyone you're really, really sorry and you rededicated your life to the game. It's not too late.

Very interesting article. The rule of 26-27-60:

Top pick Sam Bradford scored a 36 on the Wonderlic, started 31 games at Oklahoma and completed 67 percent of his passes.

Getty Images

Perhaps we should not be stunned by JaMarcus Russell's utter flop as an NFL quarterback -- low-lighted this week by his arrest for possession of a controlled substance in Alabama.

But could a simple formula have warned us of Russell's lack of NFL readiness? And Ryan Leaf's and David Carr's and other failed, high-pick quarterbacks?

Call it the Rule of 26-27-60.

Here is the gist of it: If an NFL prospect scores at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, starts at least 27 games in his college career and completes at least 60 percent of his passes, there's a good chance he will succeed at the NFL level.

link

This year's bunch:

QB Wonderlic/Starts/Completion Pct.

Greg McElroy 43/27/66

Blaine Gabbert 42/26/61

Christian Ponder 35/34/62

Ricky Stanzi 30/35/60

Andy Dalton 29/49/62

Ryan Mallett 26/29/60

Cam Newton 21/16/65

Jake Locker 20/39/54

I'm skeptical of those numbers. Ponder started 34 games in college? Wasn't he hurt a lot?

I'm skeptical of those numbers. Ponder started 34 games in college? Wasn't he hurt a lot?

According to the PFW Draft Guide Ponder actually started 35 games: 1 as a freshman, 13 as a sophomore, 9 as a junior, 12 as a senior

Started all games as a Sophomore

Started first 9 games as a Junior before suffering a season ending shoulder surgery while making a tackle.

Started every game but 1 as a Senior. Missed late season game vs. Clemson for unknown reasons.

At the time of his injury in his Junior season, Ponder was ranked at the top in almost every conceivable category for QB's and entered 2010 as a Heisman Candidate.