[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well it's that time again

Cowboyz1

Well well well. Fellas, it's been a roller coaster of an off season but as it looks the Hatfields and MCcoys look like their coming to an agreement. So it looks like it about time for my annual "Cowboys are gonna be contenders" thread. I know you've all been patiently waiting for this thread to jump in and hack away at my optimism so here goes.

The Cowboys are coming off a, disaster of a season. My support for Wade was ill placed. My enthusiam about our Offense and Defense was utterly destroyed. While Romo going down was a big blow not only to our Offense but my fantasy teams as well, that doesn't explain the complete and total colapse of a franchise destined for great things in 2010 only to stride in at 6-10.

So what happened?

I have watched the agonizing first half of the season a few times now and have come to this conclusion. The season boils down to about 5 or six plays and discipline. Sadly enough I must concede that the Wade era was a bust. I defended him and defended him but when all was said and done the man just doesn't inspire discipine and leadership. He is a great defensive coach when it comes to x's and o's I don't think anyone would argue that but as a leader of men and getting players to focus is not his specialty.

The mere fact that Garrett could take over and in one week turn a flat team into a fighter is all I need to see. The second half of the season was a proud moment for my Cowboys. They had grit. While out of the playoffs and embarrased by the Packers, the team rallied and played like a team down the stretch. Which begs the question, can they continue that momentum into 2011.

I want to say yes. Here's why.

On offense, we have problems to fix on the O line which were addressed in the Draft. I still say Smith should play right tackle for a year and keep Free on the left. Move Colombo inside. Colombo is just to good of a leader to let go. Not sure who would step up in his place. Hard to keep them all though I know but tough call.

Dez is young and stupid but the kid is a beast. If he can stay on the field our WR corps will be very dangerous. Austin, Bryant, is a powerful one two punch with Roy in the mix makes a dangerous trio of recievers, while Ogletree and Hurd filling in nicely.

We have arguably the best TE in the league and with Phillips coming back I like our two TE packages.

Barber is probably gone but I think he won't be missed all that much. Felix is the new starter with Choice getting in the mix and the rookie DeMarco Murray has great hands out of the backfield.

So our offense should be even better then when Kitna was under center. Romo is still going to be my in my top 5 QB as far as yardage and TD's this year.

The D has me a bit nervous. I love this kid Carter and I'm going going to state right here and now. This kid is going to be special. He will be in the mold of a Willis or dare I say Ray lewis. I envision Lee and Carter for years to come. Lee is a very solid dropping into coverage and Carter a bull dog. I really love this kid. If he gets on the field healthy I can see him on the field more then half the time.

The secondary worries me A LOT. Newmans lost a step and is on the downside of his career. Jenkins takes to many risks. And Scandrick just gets caught out of position to often. Then theres the Safeties. Sense is possibly gone, Ball is an average secondary player and I don't see anyone on our roster that is ready to play back there in thier place. Must address this in the free agent market.

I love the decision to bring in Rob Ryan. He will get the most out what we have and Ware should have his best season. Ryan is an unorthodox defensive schemer. He takes a lot of risk. Problem he has is his schemes require a Secondary that can hold up in space. Right now I don't see that happening. We have no one who can cover the likes of Jackson in Philly, Holmes in NY, Welker in NE consistantly. That must change.

The D line will be better but we need to resign Spears. He is our run stopper and when he was out teams averaged over 100 yards rushing, with him under 100 yards. Pretty simple math to me.

So predictions.

I'll be hoping for the best while sitting here on Sundays, trying to work out the scare tissue from all the wounds I suffered last year for thinking we would do something. Not to mention trying pass all the crow feathers that are clogged in my intestines from lasts years Crow buffet. I had the runs for months after all the humble pie I was forced to eat.

Good luck all, unless your in the East. :wacko:

From one homer to another, I look forward to your yearly optimism.If nothing else, you are certainly a true fan of your team and that's the way it should be. :tup: If you weren't a Cowgurlz fan I might actually have a little sympathy for you.:wacko:

Don't count on it. I believe Dallas is ~18 million over the cap

After we dump Colombo, Newman, Barber and Sensebaugh, for starters, we will be closer to the cap. I sense there will be others, but those names come to mind first. I need to search for our current contracts and do more research, if anyone else has already done so , please advise.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

After we dump Colombo, Newman, Barber and Sensebaugh, for starters, we will be closer to the cap. I sense there will be others, but those names come to mind first. I need to search for our current contracts and do more research, if anyone else has already done so , please advise.

...oh yeah, and Roy Williams, we just seem to not be able to get rid of him. Brooking is another one. Many will be courted with salary cuts.

there will be cuts and contracts re-done but obviously they have to sign their draft picks too. My point is I don't see them making a splash in free agency

...oh yeah, and Roy Williams, we just seem to not be able to get rid of him. Brooking is another one. Many will be courted with salary cuts.

Well hell, if he'd hold on to the darn ball while breaking away to the endzone, he'd be worth keeping.

I think Felix Jones has a break out year this year, mind you. Last year showed signs of life but it also showed he couldn't carry the load. I think some good off season work gets his stamina up and he becomes a major contirbutor to that offence.

I think Felix Jones has a break out year this year, mind you. Last year showed signs of life but it also showed he couldn't carry the load. I think some good off season work gets his stamina up and he becomes a major contirbutor to that offence.

I totally agree with you here. This kid has see ya later every time he totes. Good kid too. Just wonder about his competitive juices though. Just don't know about how driven he is. Although when he ran over that guy on the sidelines a few years back after a long run, showed me he's not afraid of contact but not sure if that was intentional or by accident.

I totally agree with you here. This kid has see ya later every time he totes. Good kid too. Just wonder about his competitive juices though. Just don't know about how driven he is. Although when he ran over that guy on the sidelines a few years back after a long run, showed me he's not afraid of contact but not sure if that was intentional or by accident.

Remember, he entered the league extremely young and enters the 2011 season at the ripe, young age of 24. He needed allot of mentoring and I've been on this bang wagon for a while that he's a JJ's favorite in that he came from Jerry's alma mater. I think he has a long career as a Cowboy and a very successful one at that.

Edited by BearBroncos

Yea, Nnamdi is probably out of reach. Even a Jonathan Joseph is probably out of reach. There will be some restructuring and some releases. I see us getting a new safety in FA, for sure. Dropping Colombo will help re-sign Free.

I know that may sound reasonable, even necessary, but I just don't think dropping Colombo is the right thing to do. I think he is the grit the O line needs. Who else is there? I would love to move him inside give him a box to protect instead of space. I would rather drop davis but Colombo is a tough cut to me.

I know that may sound reasonable, even necessary, but I just don't think dropping Colombo is the right thing to do. I think he is the grit the O line needs. Who else is there? I would love to move him inside give him a box to protect instead of space. I would rather drop davis but Colombo is a tough cut to me.

His knee only allows him to be in his rock band. He cannot be counted on as a full time player and Doug Free will command more money. They will have to choose between the two.

So where's the bold prediction?

Not trying to hammer you too hard, but to me 90% of their success depends on (aside from health of course) if Garrett can re-configure Romo's brain. This season should tell us without a doubt if Romo is or is not the biggest hindrance for the franchise. I've said for a few years now that the Cowboys will never win big with Romo at QB. Maybe the new leadership can keep Romo's brain from farting in the big situations. Like I've said before, I like Romo and a lot of parts of his game, but there has been something up there in his head that prevents him from performing in the clutch. Garrett running the show could possibly make a huge difference.

So where's the bold prediction?

Not trying to hammer you too hard, but to me 90% of their success depends on (aside from health of course) if Garrett can re-configure Romo's brain. This season should tell us without a doubt if Romo is or is not the biggest hindrance for the franchise. I've said for a few years now that the Cowboys will never win big with Romo at QB. Maybe the new leadership can keep Romo's brain from farting in the big situations. Like I've said before, I like Romo and a lot of parts of his game, but there has been something up there in his head that prevents him from performing in the clutch. Garrett running the show could possibly make a huge difference.

The bold prediction is coming don't you worry. As far as Romo, I don't see him being a hindrance at all. In fact, just look up his numbers some time. Those numbers don't lie. Winning in the postseason takes experience period. There are few and I mean very few exceptions. Ben had a veteran team around him and a Defense that was, well, nasty. They could win games on their own. Romo will be fine and I forecast a Manning type leap this year. That's right, Romo will do his part and if we can just sure up the secondary we should be right in there. Garrett will be a calming influence and a more disiplined guide for him I agree. But I certainly don't foresee another 6-10 season that's for certain.

I'll tell you this though. It's going to take better then 7-9 to get to the playoffs this year pal! :wacko:

the cowboys will be horrible this year, decimated by injury on both sides of the ball & poor play calling resulting in a dismal 2-14 record.....

reverse psychology at work here;) maybe if I type that they will do just the opposite:) Go Cowboys!!

thinking of hitting up training camp this weekend while I'm in that neck of the woods for a family reunion, if I have time:)

the cowboys will be horrible this year, decimated by injury on both sides of the ball & poor play calling resulting in a dismal 2-14 record.....

reverse psychology at work here;) maybe if I type that they will do just the opposite:) Go Cowboys!!

thinking of hitting up training camp this weekend while I'm in that neck of the woods for a family reunion, if I have time:)

God bless you Scooby. Every time Cowboyz posts you need to counter punch :wacko:

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys