[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suck for Luck

fogbowl

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there an outside chance that Jim Harbaugh plays any sort of role into where Luck ends up next season regardless of where SF lands on the draft board? Just food for thought.

This idea went through my mind a few times.

Wait you are saying pay for Luck and keep him on the bench for 5 years ??????

3 years would be the magic number in my opinion. The ideal situation is to trade Manning after they have Luck for 3 years. This goes back to what I said earlier in trading Manning. Then I get responses like I'm nuts. Look if the Colts are fortunate enough to get Luck, then yes after about 3 years under Manning, Luck becomes the starter and Manning plays for 2 more years on another team.

Manning has done a ton for the Colts and has been paid handsomely. There should be no regrets or doubt. If you can get a prospect the likes of Andrew Luck, for heavens sake, you get him and reap the rewards for another decade.

Edited by RJV

What team that would pass on a QB in the draft is going to end up with the worst record?

Carolina? I think they finish with a better record than Indy.

St. Louis if the injuries keep mounting and they have one of those seasons? Possibly, but I think they're too good not to win at least 5 games even if they keep getting snake-bit?

People mention Seattle and they'd be dumb as hell to pass on him.

I guess if Tennessee can't get it going, they'll pass because they just drafted one. Unless they don't like what they see, a la Carolina with Claussen.

Minnesota? I can't imagine they love Ponder so much that they pass.

Regardless, I don't see anyone "easily" moving up to take a guy who is the most hyped player to come out of college in some time.

I mean, I understand because a ton of QBs went early this last year, so you'd think all those teams, some of which don't look so hot, could be in the running. But everyone of those QBs has enough questions that it'd be hard to pass on a kid like Luck.

How about Kansas City. You can't tell me they think Cassel is the qb of the future. And the way the offense has been playing they may not have a choice but to get the 1st pick.

How about Kansas City. You can't tell me they think Cassel is the qb of the future. And the way the offense has been playing they may not have a choice but to get the 1st pick.

+1 i agree. Look anyone that is the #1 pick should grab Luck IMO. Thats how special this kid is. I stated earlier, if CAR is drafting #1 again, they should take him and trade Cam.

Edited by RJV

Yeah but Rodgers went 24th overall. There's a big difference is taking a guy at 24 to sit and learn and taking the #1 overall and paying the big contract to not play for 3 years.

...and after the collective bargaining agreement, that #1 pick salary won't be nearly as high as it would have been. Therefore, I think you'll see some teams willing to let players learn at a more "traditional" pace.

I think the Colts will have a top 10 pick, maybe even top 5, but they'll manage to win enough games to not get the the #1 spot. . .

Agreed.

If the Colts finish such that they have the #1 pick, they should take Luck if that is who they feel is BPA. If they dont think Luck is BPA, they should try to trade the pick to the highest bidder of all the other teams who do covet Luck in a major way.

With the amount of holes the Colts have and the contract Manning has, I cant see that they would pay the price to trade up to get Luck. That would seem to be too many resources/capital devoted to one position where obviously only one of the two can play at once.

This is quite possible.

Though IF the Chiefs end up with the #1 pick, I could absolutely see Pioli trade his way out of it.

I stated earlier, if CAR is drafting #1 again, they should take him and trade Cam.

:wacko:

Sorry, this is dumb. They spend the time and effort getting Cam into the system and up to speed as a starting, and possibly very good, starting quarterback and then spend the #1 overall pick on another quarterback so that they can trade their existing quarterback, who they just spent a 1.01 on a year before, because the new one might be a little better. When you have a bunch of other positions to fill...

Makes a whole lot more sense to trade the #1 for more picks and use it to build around the guy you're already building around. Like WAY more sense.

If a team were to draft Luck and let him sit on the bench for five years, who is to say he'll remain on that team for the sixth year? His contract would be up by then and he'd be a UFA.

As for the Colts trading up for him, or anyone trading up for him, because everyone seems to want Luck, I can see that draft pick going for a hefty price. It'll be a team that's willing to spend and put all their faith in this guy.

• 4 weeks later...

How serious is Manning's injury? All I know is that he had a neck injury with some nerve damage. Does the second surgery clear it up totally with no chance for return? Or is it one of those injuries that lingers and could end his career at any moment? I know we will never get the real truth from Colts management, but what is the real recovery prognosis for him? To me this factors in greatly on whether you make a push for Luck or not.

How serious is Manning's injury? All I know is that he had a neck injury with some nerve damage. Does the second surgery clear it up totally with no chance for return? Or is it one of those injuries that lingers and could end his career at any moment? I know we will never get the real truth from Colts management, but what is the real recovery prognosis for him? To me this factors in greatly on whether you make a push for Luck or not.

I'm not sure why this makes a difference. Manning is at the end of his career, and if anything, increases the odds they draft Luck if in position. Luck learning under the tutelage of Manning for a couple of seasons would be great for the Colts.

I'm not sure why this makes a difference. Manning is at the end of his career, and if anything, increases the odds they draft Luck if in position. Luck learning under the tutelage of Manning for a couple of seasons would be great for the Colts.

This is not necessarily true. He is only 35 and could concievably play for five more years. He showed no real signs of slowing down last year. If he plays for five more years then Luck is not the answer. Luck is not then type of guy that needs to sit for three years. He will pick up the offense pretyy quickly and sitting and watching for more than a year is a waste.

Seahawks playing their way out of the sweepstakes. No way the Colts take Luck if Manning gets a clean bill of health. They trade that pick for a King's ransom or take a stud on the defensive side. They're still building their team around Manning, not replacing him.

This is not necessarily true. He is only 35 and could concievably play for five more years. He showed no real signs of slowing down last year. If he plays for five more years then Luck is not the answer. Luck is not then type of guy that needs to sit for three years. He will pick up the offense pretyy quickly and sitting and watching for more than a year is a waste.

I read an interesting article a few weeks ago that talked about QBs near the end of their career. Based on the research done by the individual (can't remember where the article was), apparently very few QBs actually slow down. They're great, great, great, great, then huge drop-off all at once.

I read an interesting article a few weeks ago that talked about QBs near the end of their career. Based on the research done by the individual (can't remember where the article was), apparently very few QBs actually slow down. They're great, great, great, great, then huge drop-off all at once.

They call it "Favre-inosis"

...and coming around the first turn, Rams, Colts and Dolphins bunched together in the lead.

Of those three, Rams have the easiest schedule so should probably win a couple. In the stretch run, I believe it will come down to Dolphins-Colts with the freaking Pfish winning the suck-contest by a bottle-nose. Not good news for the other teams in the AFC East.

...and coming around the first turn, Rams, Colts and Dolphins bunched together in the lead.

Of those three, Rams have the easiest schedule so should probably win a couple. In the stretch run, I believe it will come down to Dolphins-Colts with the freaking Pfish winning the suck-contest by a bottle-nose. Not good news for the other teams in the AFC East.

I can assure you that the Rams will not draft Luck.

I can assure you that the Rams will not draft Luck.

But we could trade that pick for lots of picks, since the "rookie cap" is in place it dramatically increases the number of suitors for a trade. Now if only we had someone who knew what the heck we should do with all those picks . . .

But we could trade that pick for lots of picks, since the "rookie cap" is in place it dramatically increases the number of suitors for a trade. Now if only we had someone who knew what the heck we should do with all those picks . . .

Agreed...