[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Andy Dalton

Crazysight

I really like this guy, he looks like a good qb, has very good weapons around him and has the bengals off to a great start this year. However, he has yet to be truly tested thus far. That will change starting this week. His upcoming schedule:

Steelers #3 against the pass

Ravens #5 against the pass

Browns #1 against the pass

Steelers #3 against the pass

Texans #2 against the pass

Talk about brutal. If he can make it through that gauntlet and still be intact however I've got to believe this guy's for real. Should be interesting to see how he fairs and if his play can hold up.

Edited by Crazysight

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think being a rookie and leading a very poor team to being #1 in the AFC right is "passing the litmus test" already. :wacko:

They're certainly a nice surprise, but it is worth mentioning that the meat of their schedule awaits them. they could easily got 1-4 through the next five and, all of a sudden the shine sort of wears off. And he could end up looking pretty bad in some of those games.

Needless to say, however, any Bengals fans have to be completely thrilled with their top 2 picks, that much is certain. I doubt their realistic time table was to contend this soon. Honestly, based on what I'd seen in the pre-season, I had them pegged for the worst team in the league. Something that they've certainly shown is not the case.

You know what is interesting? The quality of teams the Steelers beat this year is the exact same as the Bengals. Both have 6 wins against teams with a combined 15 wins. I think the Bengals have been underrated and the Steelers overrated in the public consensus thus far. Especially when you consider the Bengals are 4-1 on the road so far.

This will be a tight game and could go either way. Although I think the Steelers need it more : they are 6-3 to Cincy's 6-2. Going to 6-4 with 3 loses in the division while the Bengals and Ravens (most likely win this week playing Seattle) sit at 7-2 would be terrible for the tie breaking rules even if they did crawl back into the division hunt. Instead of 2 games back, it would be like they were three games back with only 6 left to play. Steelers should have plenty of motivation.

Either way it goes, I'm still excited for Cincy's prospects this year. 5 of their last 8 games are at home and they've shown a resiliency unknown in these parts for decades.

You know what is interesting? The quality of teams the Steelers beat this year is the exact same as the Bengals. Both have 6 wins against teams with a combined 15 wins. I think the Bengals have been underrated and the Steelers overrated in the public consensus thus far. Especially when you consider the Bengals are 4-1 on the road so far.

This will be a tight game and could go either way. Although I think the Steelers need it more : they are 6-3 to Cincy's 6-2. Going to 6-4 with 3 loses in the division while the Bengals and Ravens (most likely win this week playing Seattle) sit at 7-2 would be terrible for the tie breaking rules even if they did crawl back into the division hunt. Instead of 2 games back, it would be like they were three games back with only 6 left to play. Steelers should have plenty of motivation.

Either way it goes, I'm still excited for Cincy's prospects this year. 5 of their last 8 games are at home and they've shown a resiliency unknown in these parts for decades.

This came up in another thread and I think it's a fair point to make. But I also think the Steelers have earned the benefit of the doubt and Cinci has "earned" the fact that people will be skeptical of them until they start beating some better teams. They're the freaking Bengals, a perennial laughing stock. Basically since the 90s, they've been good for a decent run every now and then, and then they settle back down to mediocrity or worse.

So, yes, people assume the Steelers are going to be good and the Bengals are going to be bad. And both have "earned" their reputations.

Like I said above, there's still plenty to be happy about if you're a Bengals fan. My wife is from Cinci, so I pull for them as well.

Of course. We all have a bias going into the season. I fully expected the Steelers to be a 11+ win team and the Bengals to be around 4.

But we're halfway through the season now. It's time to throw what we "knew" at the beginning of the season out the window.

Of course. We all have a bias going into the season. I fully expected the Steelers to be a 11+ win team and the Bengals to be around 4.

But we're halfway through the season now. It's time to throw what we "knew" at the beginning of the season out the window.

No it is not...you keep saying this. You keep acting like it is a done deal this team has arrived. It does not matter that the schedules are similar. The Steelers have proven(for 40 years) that they can beat good teams when it matters most. This bengals team has not proven that or anything for that matter. Like I said in the other thread...every year there is a surprise team the first half of the season that disappears after the second half is played. It reamins to be seen whether that haapens to the bengals or not. If they survive the next five games while remaining in the playoff picture, then you can start to say they have earned the respect they so desperately want. If they go 1-4 or 2-3...then they do not make the playoffs and go back to being the bengals. One other thing to remember, just because they are close this year does not guarantee they will make the playoffs next year. This is not 1977 where there was a natural progression of improvement. 9-7 this year does not mean 10-6 or 11-5 next year. They could just as easily go 6-10. With all that said, time will tell. You are just jumping the "we have arrived" gun a little too soon.

The Bengals only won 4 games last year . .. . that have already exceeded that total this year.

Dalton has played well under pressure . . . the team has won close games . . and for the 5th? QB taken on a very bad team has looked surprisingly good.

The are by no means world beaters yet, but Dalton has defintely exceeded expectations thus far for a rookie QB in a shortened preseason.

The Bengals only won 4 games last year . .. . that have already exceeded that total this year.

Dalton has played well under pressure . . . the team has won close games . . and for the 5th? QB taken on a very bad team has looked surprisingly good.

The are by no means world beaters yet, but Dalton has defintely exceeded expectations thus far for a rookie QB in a shortened preseason.

Noone is saying anything different. Please try and keep up. Geez.

You keep acting like it is a done deal this team has arrived.

Done deal? Not remotely.

It does not matter that the schedules are similar. The Steelers have proven(for 40 years) that they can beat good teams when it matters most.

:wacko: the only thing that counts this year is this year, twinkle toes. I've never denied their stellar history. I'm simply looking at the evidence this year.

This bengals team has not proven that or anything for that matter. Like I said in the other thread...every year there is a surprise team the first half of the season that disappears after the second half is played. It reamins to be seen whether that haapens to the bengals or not. If they survive the next five games while remaining in the playoff picture, then you can start to say they have earned the respect they so desperately want. If they go 1-4 or 2-3...then they do not make the playoffs and go back to being the bengals.

:tup: whatever, dude. They don't desperately want respect. They're too busy winning games.

One other thing to remember, just because they are close this year does not guarantee they will make the playoffs next year. This is not 1977 where there was a natural progression of improvement. 9-7 this year does not mean 10-6 or 11-5 next year. They could just as easily go 6-10. With all that said, time will tell. You are just jumping the "we have arrived" gun a little too soon.

Hey, that's a great tip. What happens this year doesn't necessarily translate to next year. Hmmm, it's almost like the only that matters this year is this year. I've seen someone make that same argument somewhere...

Not that anyone cares, but I've been calling for Dalton to be a stud since March to my friends and co-worker football fans. I kept quiet on here since I'm in a dynasty league and didn't want my league-mates to know I was targeting him. Turns out, bpwallace drafted Dalton exactly 1 spot before it was my turn to draft :wacko:

Anyways, I've been calling this Dalton emergence for awhile - even when others thought he looked bad in preseason. Everything I saw pointed toward greatness.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=3467217

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...4&hl=Dalton

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=3487666

Not that anyone cares, but I've been calling for Dalton to be a stud since March to my friends and co-worker football fans. I kept quiet on here since I'm in a dynasty league and didn't want my league-mates to know I was targeting him. Turns out, bpwallace drafted Dalton exactly 1 spot before it was my turn to draft :wacko:

Anyways, I've been calling this Dalton emergence for awhile - even when others thought he looked bad in preseason. Everything I saw pointed toward greatness.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=3467217

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...4&hl=Dalton

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=3487666

Yep, that was a lonely bandwagon. It's the poise he has that I never saw coming.

Done deal? Not remotely.

:wacko: the only thing that counts this year is this year, twinkle toes. I've never denied their stellar history. I'm simply looking at the evidence this year.

:tup: whatever, dude. They don't desperately want respect. They're too busy winning games.

Hey, that's a great tip. What happens this year doesn't necessarily translate to next year. Hmmm, it's almost like the only that matters this year is this year. I've seen someone make that same argument somewhere...

OK junior....you keep moving the bar...we will see how much of a smart ass you are after the rest of THIS YEAR is over. I was actually giving them some respect but your ridiculous attitude deserves none. I hope they lose their next five and you are reduced to hoping to beat the clowns again in your yearly super bowl. Good luck against the real teams you are about to face with your rookie qb. At least you will have a good draft agin next year due to missing the playoffs. Have a good weekend twinkle toes.

OK junior....you keep moving the bar...we will see how much of a smart ass you are after the rest of THIS YEAR is over. I was actually giving them some respect but your ridiculous attitude deserves none. I hope they lose their next five and you are reduced to hoping to beat the clowns again in your yearly super bowl. Good luck against the real teams you are about to face with your rookie qb. At least you will have a good draft agin next year due to missing the playoffs. Have a good weekend twinkle toes.

:wacko:

Sorry I hurt your feelings. Don't take you ball... Oh, now wait. Zeke, come back! Come back.... Awww, nutz.

I hope they lose their next five and you are reduced to hoping to beat the clowns again in your yearly super bowl. Good luck against the real teams you are about to face with your rookie qb.

Really? You went from "giving them respect" to hoping they lose their next five because a guy is excited about how they look this year? :wacko:

All I can say as a Browns fan is GO BENGALS!

I'm curious is caddyman a Steeler fan? He has no team listed but sure sounds like a Steeler fan. Giving no respect to nobody, acting like his team is still the best in the NFL when they are 3rd in their own division.

I'm curious is caddyman a Steeler fan? He has no team listed but sure sounds like a Steeler fan. Giving no respect to nobody, acting like his team is still the best in the NFL when they are 3rd in their own division.

:wacko: Yes he is, all Pittsburgh as a prior alias was PITTPANTHERMAN

All I can say as a Browns fan is GO BENGALS!

You freaking moron. A Browns fan. Gimme a break. At least the lowly lovable loser bengals fans know what a super bowl even smells like. We are third in our division HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEASON YOU DUMB ASS. ONE GAME OUT OF FIRST. That's like being down a point at half time. I really have never heard such a dumb comment. But then again....you are a browns fan. :wacko:

By the way...where are you currently in the division? I know...the same place you always are. Dead last.

We could not make the playoffs for the next 30 years and still have reason to look down on you and your lousy ass team. You are so pitiful you have to root for another perennial loser because your team is NEVER a factor. Good luck hanging your hat on the bengals.

I think being a rookie and leading a very poor team to being #1 in the AFC right is "passing the litmus test" already. :wacko:

You keep referring to the bengals as "a very poor team." They are not a very poor team. Check out their defensive rankings against both the pass and the rush and tell me what they are. Also consider that their top two wideouts are not the same as last year, and both have been pretty valuable to the passing attack. Cincy had a bad year last year, but that has no bearing on the team they are this year. On the whole the team has played much better, but has yet to by truly tested up until now.

Edited by Crazysight

By the way...where are you currently in the division? I know...the same place you always are. Dead last.

I see that the Browns are just underneath the Steelers.

It must really hurt to see Pittsburgh so close to the bottom of the division.

I see that the Browns are just underneath the Steelers.

It must really hurt to see Pittsburgh so close to the bottom of the division.

um no...talk to me in a month please. Good lord you guys are dumb. I honestly can't believe I am talking smack with two of the leagues joke franchise's fans. Please go and talk with the seachix and cards fans. You don't belong in a discussion with the big boys.

um no...talk to me in a month please. Good lord you guys are dumb. I honestly can't believe I am talking smack with two of the leagues joke franchise's fans. Please go and talk with the seachix and cards fans. You don't belong in a discussion with the big boys.

You keep living in the past and hoping for the future.

All that we can really talk about is the now.

Everything else is like a third grade tantrum at recess.

You freaking moron. A Browns fan. Gimme a break. At least the lowly lovable loser bengals fans know what a super bowl even smells like. We are third in our division HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEASON YOU DUMB ASS. ONE GAME OUT OF FIRST. That's like being down a point at half time. I really have never heard such a dumb comment. But then again....you are a browns fan. :lol:

We could not make the playoffs for the next 30 years and still have reason to look down on you and your lousy ass team. You are so pitiful you have to root for another perennial loser because your team is NEVER a factor. Good luck hanging your hat on the bengals.

Exactly the kind of response I expected from a Steeler fan. Way to start slinging insults and acting like a dick. :tup:

Yep we're last, and have been an embarrassment since coming back in 99. But we haven't always been last, and there's been plenty of years (even in my short history as a Browns fan since moving to Cleveland in 82) where we've been better than the Steelers. But in typical Steeler fashion, you don't remember the bad years or ignore them entirely. :wacko:

PS I root for every team that plays the Steelers, because I enjoy seeing them and their fans lose.