[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seattle

Scorcher

Seattle is the only place where I have heard mention of the 12th man. It sometimes seems to be a consideration in the outcome of games. Does any one see it being a factor tonight?

Seattle hosting a prime time game is significant. I think their defense probably does a good enough job to help them beat the Eagles. Especially if McCoy really isn't 100%.

I would think an Eagles fan would care.

[The Who] Why should I care....Why should I care....[The Who]

I'll watch, but after the season they've had and that debacle last week there is nothing left this season for me to get excited about as far as the Eagles are concerned. Except maybe the Dallas game. :wacko:

Seattle is the only place where I have heard mention of the 12th man. It sometimes seems to be a consideration in the outcome of games. Does any one see it being a factor tonight?

I read somewhere that based on their home games vs their away games, Seattle has something like a 12 point home-field advantage.

I sure hope so, I just picked up the Seattle D and plan on using them week 14 at home vs. St Louis. That is the first week of playoffs for me and I am in a league that these crazy sobs take defenses early so you are left with using 2 or 3 defenses to make it work. It will be Tennesse week 15 when they have Orvlosky

I thought I read somewhere that since the opening of Qwest field (or whatever its called now) the Seahawks have the largest homefield advantage in the NFL (not sure exactly how that's measured though --- difference between Home Win% and Road Win% maybe?)

I thought I read somewhere that since the opening of Qwest field (or whatever its called now) the Seahawks have the largest homefield advantage in the NFL (not sure exactly how that's measured though --- difference between Home Win% and Road Win% maybe?)

The methodology I saw was average pts margin on the road vs avg pts margin at home. And it was something like 12 pts. Looking for it now...

I read somewhere that based on their home games vs their away games, Seattle has something like a 12 point home-field advantage.

This says Seattle ranks #5 between 03 and 10 in simple win %, and #4 in % of wins @ home.

I doubt that a team has a 12 pt advantage either way. Many degenerate-types would suggest home field advantage statistically works out to roughly 1-2 pts per game tops in the NFL.

Edited by godtomsatan

This says Seattle ranks #5 between 03 and 10 in simple win %. I doubt that a team has a 12 pt advantage either way. Many degenerate-types would suggest home field advantage is roughly 1-2 pts per game tops in the NFL.

Per Football Outsiders:

- Seattle wins its average home game by 6.1 points and loses its average road game by 5.6 points. That makes the Seahawks nearly 12 full points better at home than they are on the road

Per Football Outsiders:

- Seattle wins its average home game by 6.1 points and loses its average road game by 5.6 points. That makes the Seahawks nearly 12 full points better at home than they are on the road

Here is some interesting stat stuff re: HFA. Not really Seahawk related, but nevertheless intriguing in it's factors presented (travel distance, climate, etc.).

Here is some interesting stat stuff re: HFA. Not really Seahawk related, but nevertheless intriguing in it's factors presented (travel distance, climate, etc.).

Distance would be the big factor at Qwest; I think only SF, Oak, and Den are within 1000 miles of Seattle. Hurts them when THEY travel, but probably a big advantage in their home games.

(did the research - Den and SD are actually over 1000 mi from Sea; Phoenix is 1100; Minneapolis is 1300; KC is over 1500, etc)

SI did some reasearch on home field advantage and came to an interesting conclusion - the reason for HFA is not any concrete quantifiable factor like distance, weather, noise, etc....it's the refs. Home teams ACROSS THE BOARD (all teams in all sports) get fewer penalties called against them than visiting teams do (taken as a general trend - obviously if the least-penalized team is on the road vs the most-penalized team, the least penalized team will probably still get fewer penalties....but the LPT will get more penalties than they would at home, while the MPT will get fewer called than they would on the road, as a general rule).

As near as I can tell it is not that the seahawks are good at home, it is that they absolutely suck on the road.

It's not an easy place to play. It is typically raining or at least damp and the wind can play tricks. The stadium was built to echo so when the crowd gets going (on every play) it is tough to hear. Opponents have 110+ flase starts (#1) since the place opened. This is tracked on the jumbotron after every flase start is called.

As near as I can tell it is not that the seahawks are good at home, it is that they absolutely suck on the road.

Historically yes. Under the Carol regime they've still sucked on the road, but are just generally young, unpredictable, and not all that good. They beat up the Giants in New York before losing a 6-3 snooze fest in Cleveland; then beat Ravens at home before losing to the Redskins.

Seattle usurped the 12 man like Dallas did the moniker America's Team and the Steelers the terrible towel. It is important to their self identity, but it did not originate in any of those cities respectively. No harm in being proud of what was adopted, but artificially reflected noise?

If it makes Seahawk fans happy it is fine with me.

Seattle usurped the 12 man like Dallas did the moniker America's Team and the Steelers the terrible towel. It is important to their self identity, but it did not originate in any of those cities respectively. No harm in being proud of what was adopted, but artificially reflected noise?

If it makes Seahawk fans happy it is fine with me.

The 80s wave was an original Seattle thing, but that's hard to do outside in stadiums where crowd sections aren't in continuous contact, like the old school Kingdom septic tank bowl stadium (where it also got loud enough where teams refused to snap the ball, and the NFL agreed to it, until the crowd got quiet "enough" and/or the refs got impatient).

The sound reflection and refraction in Qwest is something to behold in person and it should be a blueprint for other architects to follow for future stadiums. Artificial noise would be something piped in (an accusation by the Giants a few years ago). Bouncing sound waves are as real and effective as cupping farts and throwing them at your enemies.