[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fisher to coach Rams

STL Fan

I never said Fisher was a great coach, in fact you'll notice I specifically said he was very good. However, I do believe their run from '99 to '03 was a great run. They had a combined 56-24 record in that span, with 4 trips to the playoffs including reaching the Super Bowl in '99 and the AFC championship game in '02. Many teams would kill to have that kind of run. Does it hurt him that he never won the whole thing? Of course it does, I won't deny that. But if you want to say that 5 year run wasn't great, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

And during that run, NO ONE wanted to have to play the Titans in a game that mattered. They weren't just respected they were feared. The Rams need an identity, and Fisher's tough, physical style will be very welcome here. His Super Bowl loss to the Rams was within a couple feet of going to overtime. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Edited by STL Fan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fisher will bring a "nasty" to any team he coaches. He will have no problem destroying the knees and careers of opposing players like he did to Merriman.

I was hoping the Chargers would get him if they let Norv go. He is the right fit at the right time for the Rams, but I think he is possibly more of a transition coach to get things fixed. Sort of like Marty Schottenhidhuytdwsvjmnfeefhnmmnvcmer.

Any ideas on who would be OC? "Assuming"...

HC - Fischer

DC - Williams

OC -

ST -

I am a 100% Mike Martz homer (like Taz is JStew. OK, maybe not THAT extreme). Would love to see him back here as OC. Pile on about whatever you want about Martz. After having 13th row seats to three of the greatest offensive years in football... ...probably/most likely to not happen anyway.

Any ideas on who would be OC? "Assuming"...

HC - Fischer

DC - Williams

OC -

ST -

I am a 100% Mike Martz homer (like Taz is JStew. OK, maybe not THAT extreme). Would love to see him back here as OC. Pile on about whatever you want about Martz. After having 13th row seats to three of the greatest offensive years in football... ...probably/most likely to not happen anyway.

Even assuming there would be dramatic changes to The Ed, I'm still not sure there's enough room for all that ego with Fisher AND Martz.

Fisher kept a job for 17 seasons in the NFL without really doing a whole heckuva lot. There are 19 head coaches in NFL history who have coached 250+ games. Fisher has the 3rd worst winning % among them

That's really an asinine point. His winning % is .542. So he's the third worst in an elite group of 20? :wacko: his results on the field speak for themselves, not many coach walk away with a better than 500 record if they've coached at all...

That's really an asinine point. His winning % is .542. So he's the third worst in an elite group of 20? :wacko: his results on the field speak for themselves, not many coach walk away with a better than 500 record if they've coached at all...

No it's not. People make him out to something special and he is not. Nothing he has done warrants the love. He may be good, but not based on his past record. You guys act like he's freaking Tom Landry. He has had AVERAGE success AT BEST. Nothing more. Give it a rest. Time will tell.

No it's not. People make him out to something special and he is not. Nothing he has done warrants the love. He may be good, but not based on his past record. You guys act like he's freaking Tom Landry. He has had AVERAGE success AT BEST. Nothing more. Give it a rest. Time will tell.

I've never said he was Tom Landry, stop making stuff up! He's a good coach and a good hire - notice his 17 year winning %. Haters gonna hate.

Who would you hire, Sherlock?

He's a good coach, I don't think anyone's debating that. :tup: I think it's a GREAT hire even. :lol: A better hire than what the Dolphins are going to get (unless the break the bank). :rofl: Fisher's reputation as a "great" coach is based solely on his longevity at one place rather than any actual results. :rofl: He's coached enough games to where there are only 16 or 17 with more games coached than him, however, he doesn't have anywhere near the success rate or results other coaches on that list do. :bow: What's so asinine about pointing that out? :yay:

Edited by godtomsatan

I've never said he was Tom Landry, stop making stuff up! He's a good coach and a good hire - notice his 17 year winning %. Haters gonna hate.

Who would you hire, Sherlock?

Hey simpleton...from your own post...his results on the field speak for themselves

I never said he was terrible...good...maybe. 17 years and not one damn thing to show for it. OK great...it took him 17 years to get fired. It's an OK hire...nothing more. Her will have some cute seasons and the Rams won't be a total joke. Woopie! It just depends on what your goals are. Is your ultimate goal to win the big one? If so, I would not like my chances with him. If it is to be respectable...then he is your guy. Good for the Rams. They are now the Jets.

I think it's an extremely interesting point as many attribute a part of his success to his longevity with the Titans. Far from asinine.

Perspective is everything.... As a Steelers fan its easy for you to demand nothing less than a Lombardi, but a team like the Rams just needs to get heading in the right direction....

I've noticed Falcons fans who already have seemed to forget that being the "Jets" with a chance to compete and ability to improve on that, is far better than being the league's joke....

Perspective is everything.... As a Steelers fan its easy for you to demand nothing less than a Lombardi, but a team like the Rams just needs to get heading in the right direction....

I've noticed Falcons fans who already have seemed to forget that being the "Jets" with a chance to compete and ability to improve on that, is far better than being the league's joke....

All good points. Part of what I am trying to say. It was a decent hire. Not the great one some make it out to be. As I said before..depends on the goal of the fan.

Hey simpleton...from your own post...his results on the field speak for themselves

I never said he was terrible...good...maybe. 17 years and not one damn thing to show for it. OK great...it took him 17 years to get fired. It's an OK hire...nothing more. Her will have some cute seasons and the Rams won't be a total joke. Woopie! It just depends on what your goals are. Is your ultimate goal to win the big one? If so, I would not like my chances with him. If it is to be respectable...then he is your guy. Good for the Rams. They are now the Jets.

If I'm the simpleton, then what are you as you willfully ignore my post - I've never compared him to Tom Landry :wacko: - and ignore the question as to who you think the proper hire is.

And GTS, I guess it depends on what how you define your terms. When you say "He's coached enough games to where there are only 16 or 17 with more games coached than him, however, he doesn't have anywhere near the success rate or results other coaches on that list do" and I look at the list of top 30 coaches (where he's ranked 16th), ten are within 20 points of his win %. In other words, you don't think 1/3 of the field having close to his winning % as "anywhere near the success rate" I'll have to disagree based on the numbers, plenty are near his success rate. :tup:

If I'm the simpleton, then what are you as you willfully ignore my post - I've never compared him to Tom Landry :wacko: - and ignore the question as to who you think the proper hire is.

And GTS, I guess it depends on what how you define your terms. When you say "He's coached enough games to where there are only 16 or 17 with more games coached than him, however, he doesn't have anywhere near the success rate or results other coaches on that list do" and I look at the list of top 30 coaches (where he's ranked 16th), ten are within 20 points of his win %. In other words, you don't think 1/3 of the field having close to his winning % as "anywhere near the success rate" I'll have to disagree based on the numbers, plenty are near his success rate. :tup:

Dude...put the crack pipe down for a second. Your making a fool of yourself. I have no idea who you are talking about in your second paragraph. I never said those things. Get a grip.

As for your question, I answered it. Maybe it was a little too complicated of an answer for you. If your goal is mediocrity, then he is the best hire you can make. Frankly most hires are crapshoots anyway. So you may as well play it safe and shoot for average. that's what they got here...average. Did they hire a guy that can beat the cream of the crop in the NFC? Nope. He will be sure to beat the crap teams. But his stale ass style won't cut it against the Packers, Saints, or Niners. Dude is Cowher without a ring. Must be too dumb or too ugly to make it on TV. Retreads like Fisher prevent guys like Tomlin from getting their chance. I would rather have Tomlin than Fisher or even Cowher at this point. But if you keep recycling these old style coaches, you won't find the Tomlins and Sean Paytons of the world.

But if you keep recycling these old style coaches, you won't find the Tomlins and Sean Paytons of the world.

The last three Rams coaches had no prior head-coaching experience. Martz was not as bad as people make him out to be, Linehan and Spags were not good. It's time for the Rams to let somebody else to provide an opening for rookie head-coaches.

And GTS, I guess it depends on what how you define your terms. When you say "He's coached enough games to where there are only 16 or 17 with more games coached than him, however, he doesn't have anywhere near the success rate or results other coaches on that list do" and I look at the list of top 30 coaches (where he's ranked 16th), ten are within 20 points of his win %. In other words, you don't think 1/3 of the field having close to his winning % as "anywhere near the success rate" I'll have to disagree based on the numbers, plenty are near his success rate. :wacko:

Does he have a NFL or Super Bowl Championship? Does he have more than one Conference Championship? That's all the definition of "success rate" and "results" I really looked for.

Chuck Knox and Marty Schottenheimer never made it to a Super Bowl, and they're the only two of the 19 coaches who have 250 games in their career who have less appearances in a championship than Fisher has.

If you move it out to the 31 coaches who have 200 or more games in their career, then you can add Jim Mora Sr., Norv Turner, Andy Reid, and Dennis Green to those who have as many or less appearances in a championship than Fisher has.

Once again, I'm not saying he's not a good coach or that he won't turn out to be a great hire, but Fisher has a reputation from many people that is not based on his success on the sideline, but seemingly, rather, from the duration of his tenure in Tennessee.

Fisher is a very good coach. The Titans were one of the consistently great teams during the late 90s and early 00s under his watch (13, 13, 7, 11, 12 wins from '99 to '03). Unfortunately, age and the salary cap caught up to them, causing a massive roster overhaul starting in '04 and really taking effect in '05. Throw in multiple draft busts during this time with lots of input from Bud Adams (see: Pacman and Young) and you can see why they struggled late in his tenure.

The only thing I have against Fisher is he is way too conservative. If he has any kind of lead in the 4th quarter, he will milk the clock for all it's worth. He rarely takes risks such as going for it on 4th and short. I think his conservatism cost him a fair number of wins.

This.

I would love to have replaced Caldwell with Fisher.

HC - Fisher

DC - Williams

OC -Brian Schottenheimer

ST -

Martz was a pipe dream, I know that.

Martz: "Hey Jeff... I used to have that office y'know"

Fisher: "Yeah, Mike, I know..."

Martz: "Let me tell you about Max Q..."

Fisher: :wacko:

Edited by lennykravitz2004

Who would you have ranked above him among people available to be head-coaches this year?

Hey professor, please try and keep up. You must read all of the thread and all of my posts. Gosh.... What a dumb question. He frankly should be ranked below a ton of guys that have never been a head coach. At least with those guys you have hope of winning it all. With him you have the hope of not facing a really good team in the playoffs, because he won't be beating the good teams. Just give it some time. You will see the same coach and style you saw for years. Conservative, outdated, bland. Not going to win it all....especially with the Rams. They need to catch lightning in a bottle. I know they have tried that route already. But Fisher is the 165 pound chick at 2am that you know will do you. Nothing to get excited about.