[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Harbaugh sticking with Alex Smith?

rajncajn

I don't follow the 49ers closely. That said I think they are fine at Q.B. for right now. I think they can reap, for the first time in a long time, the benefits of stability at the position and coaching for the position.

Were I the 49ers I would be somewhat more concerned that a running team is looking to rely on a 29 year old R.B. with some injury history and a lot of miles on him. I would also be worried that I have essentially the same undersized and underperforming W.R. on my roster 4 times or more. Sure they have different names, but they are more or less the same guy. I might want to find a 6'5" guy with hands.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't follow the 49ers closely. That said I think they are fine at Q.B. for right now. I think they can reap, for the first time in a long time, the benefits of stability at the position and coaching for the position.

Were I the 49ers I would be somewhat more concerned that a running team is looking to rely on a 29 year old R.B. with some injury history and a lot of miles on him. I would also be worried that I have essentially the same undersized and underperforming W.R. on my roster 4 times or more. Sure they have different names, but they are more or less the same guy. I might want to find a 6'5" guy with hands.

I think Hunter can be special. That said, I think the secret to the Niners running game is the continued development of a very young but talented O-line. If those guys become what they can be (and they're certainly on their way), it will barely matter who you're handing the ball off to because dude is going to get the first 3-4 yards for free.

This is where looking at the numbers as a whole will get you in trouble. He had one great throw on the VD wheel route, which was 20 yards that VD took to the house. The other was a short throw to VD that VD took to the house. Like I said, Davis accounted for the vast majority of Smith's total yards on two plays that DAVIS made incredible plays on. Watch the tape, the tape doesn't lie. Looking at numbers without actually knowing how they were produced is foolish. Aaron Rodgers had 8 drops by WR's. That's huge. Rodgers doesn't throw the ball downfield to himself. He hit guys in stride, they didn't make plays. Smith doesn't throw the ball further than 10 yards, and when he does, its to Davis, Walker, or the running back.

Just to be clear, I have been referencing his entire body of work this season. You have been the comparing him based on the Giants game and making ridiculous claims he can't throw the ball 10 yards. I simply pointed out he had the highest rating of any QB the Giants actually faced in playoff games.

You have reduced your argument to he can't throw it 10 yards. BTW, stop with the when he does it is to Davis. I have already pointed Crabtree has more receptions in one less game than Davis. Simple basic research shows Crabtree's yards per catch is also higher than Davis this season. Crabtree actually ranked 16th in receptions playing in 15 games with 72 catches and a catch rate of 64%. He is the only quality WR from a talent perspective on the team which I think they will address this off season.

I get you hate the guy and think he is one of the worst QB's in the league this year or any year but you are simply not using facts so just say it is your opinion and move on.

Edited by Ice1

Smith is fine and if you've watched enough football you know he got the break he needed. Only this time - and it usually doesn't happen this way - the break was him staying put and the new coach coming in, as opposed to leaving for a different coach. The 7 OCs in 7 seasons was a legit issue.

But, Jim Harbaugh IS Alex Smith. Ditka buried him and he had to leave to become Captain Comeback. I'd keep Smith in a heartbeat if I'm the 9ers because there is something he had this season he lacked previously. These guys are peas in a pod.

And not for nothing, that 30 yard bootleg for the score against the Saints was a better keeper QB run than anything your boy Rodgers did all year. And there's more to come.

I think Hunter can be special. That said, I think the secret to the Niners running game is the continued development of a very young but talented O-line. If those guys become what they can be (and they're certainly on their way), it will barely matter who you're handing the ball off to because dude is going to get the first 3-4 yards for free.

I agree for sure on the O-Line. As they continue to mature I also see the sack totals dropping way down. No doubt they are talented as one can see it in their run blocking and schemes. Pass blocking is a bit more difficult but overall they improved when one considers 24 of their 44 sacks came in 5 games. The line was completely dominated in the Ravens game giving up 9 sacks in that jail break but really stepped up after and showed significant improvement. They could be one of the better lines in football in the coming years.

Not completely convinced on Hunter as a lead back due to his size but he did look pretty good in spot duty this year.

Or Romo. It carried them through a playoff game. :wacko: Just cause I can say it without writing a novel doesn't mean it probably isn't true.

ETA - and it was longer than any run by Rodgers this year.

Well I read it as that run was better than any PLAY Rodgers made all year. Look , the play call was OUTSTANDING but I'm not sure any QB in the league could'nt have ran that ball in...the defense was totally fooled...

IMO some folks around here are guzzling the Smith koolaid. I'll pass

And not for nothing, that 30 yard bootleg for the score against the Saints was a better keeper QB run than anything your boy Rodgers did all year. And there's more to come.

I have to say, that was one of the best play calls of the year. I also expect them to run this play more often in the future. My guess is his rushing totals will increase to the 250 plus yard range next season as more offensive schemes will be employed with a full training camp in Harbaugh's second year.

This team looks like they will contend for years. They need a consistent deep threat WR#2 and Hunter or another back needs to develop but this team does not have that many needs to address.

Well I read it as that run was better than any PLAY Rodgers made all year. Look , the play call was OUTSTANDING but I'm not sure any QB in the league could'nt have ran that ball in...the defense was totally fooled...

Kool aid? Whatever. :wacko: This team clearly has bigger needs. Who among the guys available would you replace him with?

Kool aid? Whatever. :wacko: This team clearly has bigger needs. Who among the guys available would you replace him with?

My first foray into this thread ( I think) was when you posted that Smith's td run was better than any play Rodgers made all year. I'm not saying there's a free agent out there right now that would be better in that system than him. I really don't care.

To say that run was better than any play Rodgers made all year makes me think you're drinking the Smith koolaid and it's probably got alot of vodka in it. :tup:

My first foray into this thread ( I think) was when you posted that Smith's td run was better than any play Rodgers made all year. I'm not saying there's a free agent out there right now that would be better in that system than him. I really don't care.

To say that run was better than any play Rodgers made all year makes me think you're drinking the Smith koolaid and it's probably got alot of vodka in it. :wacko:

Dude - I said QB keeper in the original post - that is a RUN by any definition of the term as acknowledged by football fans who know what they are talking about. You confused yourself and continue to do so.

ETA - I even used the word run. :tup:

Edited by Pope Flick

Dude - I said QB keeper in the original post - that is a RUN by any definition of the term as acknowledged by football fans who know what they are talking about. You confused yourself and continue to do so.

ETA - I even used the word run. :wacko:

Ok my bad. Smith ran a td in that was on a fantastic play call that caught the defense and all of America by surprise. He's gonna be fantastic next year.

Got it. Again, my apologies

And for the record, you said that "keeper QB run was better than ANYTHING Rodgers did all year". Not better than any run Rodgers had all year. No worries, we'll bump this thread next year and see how Smith plays. If I'm wrong about him it won't be the first time I was wrong about a player. Or a team for that matter b/c I believe the 49ers come back to earth next year and finish 9-7, 8-8.

yep and yep

Not sure I agree with this. Some are just giving the guy his due for having a very good year.

He grew up big time this year and looked like a legit NFL caliber QB. In years past he looked liked a liability. My guess is none of us would have thought he would rank 9th in efficiency rating this year so by any measure he was a pleasant surprise this season.

He has gone from bust status to a QB with upside, that is not drinking Koolaid but a fact. What he does going forward obviously remains to be seen but my guess is he will get a solid contract with the 49's sooner rather than later. I am glad I stashed him on one of my dynasty teams when Harbaugh was named coach.

Fantasy wise he is still no better than a bye week filler QB2 but I do expect improvement again this year as they will undoubtedly open up the offense some this coming season.

He has gone from bust status to a QB with upside,

Methinks there is a lot of cherry picking stats and not actually watching the guy play throughout the season ( of course a few biased homer opinions in this thread are the exception - not all the homers that chimed in are unrealistic about Smith's skill set mind you). Some of his stats like yards, TDs, are in the Grossman and Tavaris Jackson range.

Alex had a good year and he can have another one next year if he continues to let his defense win games, hand the ball off, and minimizing turnover potential (ie..throw as little as possible or throw in offensive sets that require little decision making for a safe throw). All this nonsense about top 50% of QBs in the league and the great potential for upside comes solely from looking at last years numbers and not considering the external circumstances that played into the team success; and to a large extent the QB's success.

Give Tavaris Jackson, Grossman, or any other borderline starting quality QB the San Fran defense, run game, and coaching plan and they have just as much upside; maybe even more.

Of course I didn't watch all the San Fran games, but from what I saw out of 1/2 a dozen or so; I'm not buying into this guy finding his upside potential for a significant improvement after his 7th year as a starter.

Edited by bushwacked

imo, he is an average qb who made a great leap forward this year by minimizing turnovers. i believe that this alone (with all of the current pieces) is enough to consistently be competitive in every game they will play. it is also my opinion that harbaugh will indeed open things up for the offense. i see some more room for smith to grow, but his potential now has a low ceiling.

Give Tavaris Jackson, Grossman, or any other borderline starting quality QB the San Fran defense, run game, and coaching plan and they have just as much upside; maybe even more.

Now you are just being silly.

Grossman, best year completion percentage is 57.9. Grossman's best year QB rating was 81.2 and that year, his first with the Redskins, he only played 5 games. Smith has been better than that for 3 straight years.

Grossman had 20 interceptions and lost 5 fumbles to go with 17 total TD's.

Jackson had 13 interceptions and 5 lost fumbles last year to go with 15 total TD's.

Smith had 5 interceptions and only 2 fumbles to go with 19 Total TD's.

San Fran gained 4.1 YPC last year. Both Seattle and Washington gained 4.0 YPC. San Fran ran more times but did have a better defense. Seattle ran it 444 times and Washington ran it 400 times.

imo, he is an average qb......but his potential now has a low ceiling.

Nuh-uh....He was very good this year and the sky is the limit. I'd suggest you only consider Ice1's selective stats instead of evaluating the quality of play during actual games.

Edited by bushwacked

imo, he is an average qb who made a great leap forward this year by minimizing turnovers. i believe that this alone (with all of the current pieces) is enough to consistently be competitive in every game they will play. it is also my opinion that harbaugh will indeed open things up for the offense. i see some more room for smith to grow, but his potential now has a low ceiling.

I would contend his floor is low. He has already shown he can complete passes in the 60% plus range without many weapons which I am certain they will address. He showed this year he is much better at reading defenses. With vastly better coaching he is getting it.

If he grows at all, he will once again be in the top 10 in QB rating and his TD production should improve if in fact they open it up.

I can see as a 49 fan you would have cause for concern given he was a number 1 pick but the pieces are in place for him to improve going forward. This was the first year I saw him throwing the ball in extremely tight windows with success. That confidence along with his maturity is big which makes me think his floor is low and his ceiling is pretty high.

Imagine if they do get big deep threat like Jackson as an example to go with a possession type with sure hands like Crabtree and a TE that can split the seam. They already have a serious running game.

With a bit more receiving talent around him his ceiling could be in the Matt Schaub or Matt Ryan range as a solid but not spectacular NFL QB. At any rate, with his completion percentage potential, an added big weapon could elevate his play yet again next season.

Imagine if they do get big deep threat like Jackson as an example to go with a possession type with sure hands like Crabtree and a TE that can split the seam. They already have a serious running game.

:wacko:

I don't think I'd put sure hands and Crabtree in the same sentence.