[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Franchise Tags are Here

Infinity

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point some are trying ti make is that we should be able to have discussion about certain players and fantasy football without always bringing up their off field issues

- Big Ben and the alleged rape of women

- Mike Vick and dog fighting

- Ray Lewis and being involved in a murder

Tebow & Christianity

What I was reading, all OL are lumped together for the FT, bo he would come at a high price for his position and age.

Really? That is dumb as hell. There is a huge difference between cornerbacks and safeties, just like between centers and tackles. Why is one lumped together and not the other??

Silly.

Does GB really entertain the idea of tagging Flynn? Can a tagged Flynn fetch a 2nd?

See Matt Cassell. The situation is a little different based on a years worth of work versus two games, but Philbin going to Miami could make Flynn very attractive. I think the only way Flynn is tagged is if a handshake agreement is in place with another team.

Of the two, I'd much prefer to keep Wells. If Wells hits the open market, he won't be back.

See Matt Cassell. The situation is a little different based on a years worth of work versus two games, but Philbin going to Miami could make Flynn very attractive. I think the only way Flynn is tagged is if a handshake agreement is in place with another team.

Of the two, I'd much prefer to keep Wells. If Wells hits the open market, he won't be back.

Pretty sure tha cap situations are wildly different too. I seem to remember the pats having an ungodly large amount of cap space when he was tagged. Plus Brady was coming off knee surgery.

The packers don't have as much cap space, so unless a handshake agreement is in place, that is a HUGH gamble

A lot of what I am going to type actually pains me to do so but I am honest in what I am hearing and feeling.

Mike Wallace may very well be done here in Pittsburgh. He is young and not very mature when it comes to what is going on in my opinion. He is also a little full of himself. I mean don't get me wrong, he is a great player and I for sure what him back but I think that he is very much over valuing himself. Now I am sure that is an agent in his ear telling him how he is worth top WR money and it is also an agent that knows that there is a team out there that is going to offer up money that the Steelers simply won't. I would very much love to have him back but I can see where it just can't work with the money and the value that Mike Wallace thinks and probably will get from someone.

Does GB really entertain the idea of tagging Flynn? Can a tagged Flynn fetch a 2nd?

GB is not going to FT a player who will earn $18M next season and then will not ever see the field unless Rodgers suffers an injury. GB already has Harrell in place as a backup QB when Flynn leaves. If Flynn is FTed, it means that GB has worked out a sign-and-trade with another team and Flynn has accepted it - GB can not trade Flynn until he is rostered (which he currently is not as a FA), and the easiest way to roster him is to FT him.

Why would another team accept this kind of deal? Because it means they are sold on Flynn as their starter, and they do not want to get into a bidding war with other teams for him, and instead can get the contract set up and agreed upon by all parties prior to the trade, and will save substantial cap space in exchange for a draft pick.

This is exactly what NE did with Cassel in the trade to KC.

A lot of what I am going to type actually pains me to do so but I am honest in what I am hearing and feeling.

Mike Wallace may very well be done here in Pittsburgh. He is young and not very mature when it comes to what is going on in my opinion. He is also a little full of himself. I mean don't get me wrong, he is a great player and I for sure what him back but I think that he is very much over valuing himself. Now I am sure that is an agent in his ear telling him how he is worth top WR money and it is also an agent that knows that there is a team out there that is going to offer up money that the Steelers simply won't. I would very much love to have him back but I can see where it just can't work with the money and the value that Mike Wallace thinks and probably will get from someone.

Good post, GB. This is completely consistent with the PIT philosophy on player/cap management, and IMO is why they are a strong team year after year. They won't get beholden to one player for an outrageous price - especially a player like a WR - and instead will move forward with who else is on their roster and move forward building through the draft.

Good post, GB. This is completely consistent with the PIT philosophy on player/cap management, and IMO is why they are a strong team year after year. They won't get beholden to one player for an outrageous price - especially a player like a WR - and instead will move forward with who else is on their roster and move forward building through the draft.

With all due respect, let me try to get this straight ... you both believe that Pittsburgh will be able to lose Wallace and still win games, or at least find a FA WR good enough to replace him? Do you both think he is easily replaced from now until the start of training camp? I am having a hard time picturing this occurance and Limas Sweed keeps coming to mind. I don;t see how Pitt gets their hands on anyone in the draft that could come in and instantly fill Wallace's shoes. Now, if Pitt could somehow steal a guy like Bowe or Steve Johnson, then maybe, but there is still some risk there. Who would Pitt target if they let Wallace go?

You know there will be some team that gives him a big offer and Pitt will have to match that in order to keep him.

Who would Pitt target if they let Wallace go?

Manningham

Garcon

Steve Johnson

Meachem

Big Ben throwing to Garcon will be just as effective as Wallace was being used late in the season. Any of these guys, but I really like the Garcon fit opposite Brown.

Don't forget, they would also end up with someone's first rounder if they let Wallace go. They have a lot of areas they need to address, adding premium picks would go a long way toward that.

With all due respect, let me try to get this straight ... you both believe that Pittsburgh will be able to lose Wallace and still win games, or at least find a FA WR good enough to replace him? Do you both think he is easily replaced from now until the start of training camp? I am having a hard time picturing this occurance and Limas Sweed keeps coming to mind. I don;t see how Pitt gets their hands on anyone in the draft that could come in and instantly fill Wallace's shoes. Now, if Pitt could somehow steal a guy like Bowe or Steve Johnson, then maybe, but there is still some risk there. Who would Pitt target if they let Wallace go?

You know there will be some team that gives him a big offer and Pitt will have to match that in order to keep him.

PIT isn't cheap like the ownership in AZ,CIN,or CLE, but they also won't pay a king's ransom for a player, and most especially for a WR when their tradition is in pounding other teams offensively and defensively. This is a fundamental principle of the organization,and they have let valuable vets go before when those guys wanted too much.

This precludes that PIT is hard up against the cap even with some restructuring and cutting some guys. They won't gut the team to keep Wallace on the roster.

I see PIT looking at their roster and seeing enough weapons to compensate for the loss of Wallace with other WRs like Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery (all underrated guys,IMO) as well as adding through the draft and FA, as well as using TEs Miller and Saunders and RBs to take up Wallace's production.

There is more than just Wallace's talent at play here. There is an organizational philosophy to account for. Wallace is very good, no question. I think he honesty wants to stay in PIT and that PIT wants him to be a Steeler for life. But PIT won't cut its own throat financially to keep him. But PIT is also creative and may just find a way to satisfy Wallace's wallet.

Mary Kay Cabot filed this report:

WALLACE FRANCHISED? If the Browns were hoping Steelers speedy receiver Mike Wallace would be available as a RFA, they'll be disappointed. Steelers GM Kevin Colbert indicated today that the club might franchise Wallace. "We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers,'' Colbert said. -- MKC

Manningham

Garcon

Steve Johnson

Meachem

Big Ben throwing to Garcon will be just as effective as Wallace was being used late in the season. Any of these guys, but I really like the Garcon fit opposite Brown.

Don't forget, they would also end up with someone's first rounder if they let Wallace go. They have a lot of areas they need to address, adding premium picks would go a long way toward that.

I could see Garcon or Meachem as a nice complement opposite brown. both would be way cheaper than wallace and that first rounder (even though it will most likely be in the 20s--i dont see any team with a high pick giving it up for wallace) will help re-tool an old defensive front 7 and add O line depth. Wallace is a beast but steelers need more help & losing wallace might help more than hurt.

Mary Kay Cabot filed this report:

WALLACE FRANCHISED? If the Browns were hoping Steelers speedy receiver Mike Wallace would be available as a RFA, they'll be disappointed. Steelers GM Kevin Colbert indicated today that the club might franchise Wallace. "We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers,'' Colbert said. -- MKC

I don't know who MKC is but there seems to be more than that to it:

"We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert told reporters Thursday at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. "We think he's only scratched the surface of what he can do."

But Colbert wouldn't reveal how the salary cap-strapped Steelers plan on keeping him.

Colbert said the Steelers would use the first-round tender at the very least and mentioned that the franchise tag remains a possibility.

"Having a great player like Mike Wallace is not a dilemma," Colbert said. "We're going to do everything we can to make sure that Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler and I think that's Mike's belief as well. Usually when you have two parties that share the same goal, it's easier to achieve that goal."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7607408/...wr-mike-wallace

I don't know who MKC is but there seems to be more than that to it:

"We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert told reporters Thursday at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. "We think he's only scratched the surface of what he can do."

But Colbert wouldn't reveal how the salary cap-strapped Steelers plan on keeping him.

Colbert said the Steelers would use the first-round tender at the very least and mentioned that the franchise tag remains a possibility.

"Having a great player like Mike Wallace is not a dilemma," Colbert said. "We're going to do everything we can to make sure that Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler and I think that's Mike's belief as well. Usually when you have two parties that share the same goal, it's easier to achieve that goal."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7607408/...wr-mike-wallace

MKC=Marry Kay Cabot, the author of the report, the Cleveland Plain Dealer Browns beat reporter. I don't read the PD so don't know much about her or how good her info is. All she is doing is paraphrasing the info from the PIT GM. Besided which I never thought the Browns were serious playes in FA on the WR front (they do need help there, but they're not usually big spenders on FA). Sure would be nice to stick it to the Steelers though :wacko:

Colbert has definatly said exactly what was quoted up there but there has been leaked rumors that suggest to me that MW really wants to be paid top WR money.

I am 100% in agreement with exactly what Bronco Billy posted up there about the way Pitt operates and that is exactly my way of thinking about what is going on.

Now having said all that, I am certian that Kevin Colbert is doing everything REASONABLE to keep MW in Pitt. There is zero chance that the Steelers will cut their throats over Mike Wallace though. That means that MW is going to have to have a reasonable agent who is willing to make a lot of money but not the money that it could get on the free market. That I am certian of. That is what makes me think that his days here may be near and end becuase of his own whispers that tell me that he knows he can cash in somewhere else better then he will here.

Are the Steelers smart enough to figure out a way to keep him and keep his satisfied? I am not not sure that is going to be possible without Mike Wallace being a little bit humble.

Colbert has definatly said exactly what was quoted up there but there has been leaked rumors that suggest to me that MW really wants to be paid top WR money.

I am 100% in agreement with exactly what Bronco Billy posted up there about the way Pitt operates and that is exactly my way of thinking about what is going on.

Now having said all that, I am certian that Kevin Colbert is doing everything REASONABLE to keep MW in Pitt. There is zero chance that the Steelers will cut their throats over Mike Wallace though. That means that MW is going to have to have a reasonable agent who is willing to make a lot of money but not the money that it could get on the free market. That I am certian of. That is what makes me think that his days here may be near and end becuase of his own whispers that tell me that he knows he can cash in somewhere else better then he will here.

Are the Steelers smart enough to figure out a way to keep him and keep his satisfied? I am not not sure that is going to be possible without Mike Wallace being a little bit humble.

Exactly, he needs to give them a discount to stay in PIT. If he (and his agent) wants every $ they can get then the Steelers will let him walk, they've done it before. As you and BB point out, that is how they operate, and its a big part of the reason for their success.