[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Randy Moss Myths

Infinity

Chris Carter was on Mike and Mike the other day and I was shocked to hear him say the following:

"The one thing you have to address with Randy Moss is not a conditioning thing," Carter said. "It's not an age thing. It needs to be addressed. I believe it's the elephant in the room. It's that thing called quit."

"And Randy, not like any other superstar I've met, he has more quit in him than any of those other players. So I need to address that," Carter said. "That's what [bill] Belichick did when he brought him over [to New England] from Oakland. He told him he wasn't going to have it.

"But Randy, when things don't go well, like no other player I've ever been around or associated with, he has a quit mechanism in him that's huge. That needs to be addressed before he signs with any team."

Carter should keep his yap shut. You mad Chris Carter?

Its not his place to say this, and its like chopping Moss off at his knees while hes still getting up.

"@CrisCarter80 its sad how u stroked ur own ego when u were suppose to b my mentor! then u wonder why karma bites u in the ass! #goodlukwithhof" - Perfect imo

Edited by coordi88

Carter should keep his yap shut. You mad Chris Carter?

Its not his place to say this, and its like chopping Moss off at his knees while hes still getting up.

"@CrisCarter80 its sad how u stroked ur own ego when u were suppose to b my mentor! then u wonder why karma bites u in the ass! #goodlukwithhof" - Perfect imo

Is the last part a tweet? If so, from who?

And Cris Carter never quit, and should have been a first ballot HOFer. That guy was truly amazing.

He was never the locker room cancer of other WRs and most all of his extracurricular activities were acts of immaturity or just having fun. He was no criminal, I never heard him selling out his team mates or QBs when he certainly could on a couple of occasions.

Interesting local scuttlebut on Randy... Note that this is RUMOR. Stuff you hear on sports talk radio.

What they have said:

The people in the locker room loved him. The other receivers looked up to him and followed his lead.

This was a big part of what eventually got him shipped out of Foxborough. His "buy in" to Belichick's mantras was not complete and deteriorated over time. As the players on the team got further and further away from what the coach wanted, he felt like he needed to shake things up. Part of that was getting rid of Randy, who was clearly being detrimental to the team in Bill belichick's eyes.

My personal opinion is that Randy did not really recognize what was going on or did not care to change his attitude/conduct until after he got shipped to Minny and saw what a complete disaster that team was. Remember that he all but begged to come back to the Pats. he knew he had screwed things up.even if it was in very small adn subtle ways. The guy was a leader in the locker room and well respected by his team mates, but he was not leading in step with the coach.

Who knows if he will come back. I would not hate to see it, but I hope that if it does happen that his buy-in goes to 100%. If that happens he could be a very dangerous player in the offensive mix they have currently.

agreed. what about when he was in Oakland?

He played two years in Oakland and in year one had 60-1005-8 with Kerry Collins as the QB and Norv Turner as HC.

In year two he was injured and played 13 games with QBs of Andrew Walter, Aaron Brooks and Marques Tuiasosopo but only had 553 yards and 3 scores on a horrible team that went 2-14 on the season. That was the year Art Shell was the HC was Tom Shoop (the bed and breakfast guy). Man that was a funny year if you were not a Raiders fan.

Tom Walsh said that year that Moss' skills were diminishing and the next year was the all-time record 23 TDs with the Pats.

Chris Carter was on Mike and Mike the other day and I was shocked to hear him say the following:

"The one thing you have to address with Randy Moss is not a conditioning thing," Carter said. "It's not an age thing. It needs to be addressed. I believe it's the elephant in the room. It's that thing called quit."

"And Randy, not like any other superstar I've met, he has more quit in him than any of those other players. So I need to address that," Carter said. "That's what [bill] Belichick did when he brought him over [to New England] from Oakland. He told him he wasn't going to have it.

"But Randy, when things don't go well, like no other player I've ever been around or associated with, he has a quit mechanism in him that's huge. That needs to be addressed before he signs with any team."

I personally respect Cris Carter and believe what he is saying. He's making honest statements about somebody he played with and has first hand experience with.

Is Moss some big villian or locker room cancer, NO I don't think so. Did he not give full effort often/regularly, YES. Is/was he a talented WR that had some very good years, sure. I think he's somewhere between the large hatred he gets from some and the big love (and excuse making) he gets from others.

Interesting local scuttlebut on Randy... Note that this is RUMOR. Stuff you hear on sports talk radio.

What they have said:

The people in the locker room loved him. The other receivers looked up to him and followed his lead.

This was a big part of what eventually got him shipped out of Foxborough. His "buy in" to Belichick's mantras was not complete and deteriorated over time. As the players on the team got further and further away from what the coach wanted, he felt like he needed to shake things up. Part of that was getting rid of Randy, who was clearly being detrimental to the team in Bill belichick's eyes.

My personal opinion is that Randy did not really recognize what was going on or did not care to change his attitude/conduct until after he got shipped to Minny and saw what a complete disaster that team was. Remember that he all but begged to come back to the Pats. he knew he had screwed things up.even if it was in very small adn subtle ways. The guy was a leader in the locker room and well respected by his team mates, but he was not leading in step with the coach.

Who knows if he will come back. I would not hate to see it, but I hope that if it does happen that his buy-in goes to 100%. If that happens he could be a very dangerous player in the offensive mix they have currently.

I never thought he was a lockerroom cancer in the traditional sense...more that his persona was so charismatic to the younger players that he tended to lead people astray as they followed his lead. As things deteriorated in New England, they had to tiptoe around him just to keep him from imploding. Million dollar talent and a ten cent head.

Moss wasn't a locker room cancer, his Titans teammates from 2010 even claimed he was a great teammate. He was also named captain of the team while he was in NE in 2008.

Interesting fact about Moss, after he was drafted in 1998 he made it a mission to punish Dallas for not drafting him when there were claims they would (he grew up a Dallas fan). Since then, he played them eight times. He's 8-0 against them with 11 TDs in those games. 10 of those TDs came in 5 games during his Minnesota stint ('98-'04).

I think what that fact also suggests is motivation is a big factor for Moss.

Moss wasn't a locker room cancer, his Titans teammates from 2010 even claimed he was a great teammate. He was also named captain of the team while he was in NE in 2008.

Interesting fact about Moss, after he was drafted in 1998 he made it a mission to punish Dallas for not drafting him when there were claims they would (he grew up a Dallas fan). Since then, he played them eight times. He's 8-0 against them with 11 TDs in those games. 10 of those TDs came in 5 games during his Minnesota stint ('98-'04).

I think what that fact also suggests is motivation is a big factor for Moss.

And it has been a sore point with Dallas fans that they did pass over him that year. That is why they went after Dez Bryant despite his "warning signs" because they skipped Moss because of his.

Moss was a force. He was also lazy and disrespected his craft. Both are true. His immense talent allowed achievement that is nearly unparalleled even while he was lazy and consistently took plays off and moped. Though he achieved much it is clear he could have achieved much more.

As for him being a pot head I don't really care, but in addition to his problem in college he did have roaches in his car during the meter maid incident so to say there is only one indication of his preference is not precisely correct, IIRC. Yes he said they belonged to someone else which is more or less not credible, but if true shows he is an idiot for not disposing of them.

As for the meter maid it is true he did not run her over. Some say, and those some are Moss and his apologists, that she jumped on to the hood of his car. O.K., maybe, but whether she did or not it does not excuse him then driving with her on the hood the wrong way down a street with dope in his car and it is of course possible that she did not jump on there but clung on for dear life.

Is a a villian? I don't think so. I do think he was a self entitled idiot who wasted the full extent of his gifts, but those gifts were his to do with as he pleased. I also note that he clearly did work to enable his gifts. One does not get that fit, that fast, without some seriously hard work.

In the end he is a bit of an enigma, but hardly public enemy #1.

Best post in this thread. He was an amazing talent and not some hard core thug - in fact I'm surprised no one mentioned his charity work - but was also an immature putz who did often quit on plays or otherwise give nowhere near 100%. And frankly what other players did or didn't do is not relevant.

Of all the million dollar talents with a 5 cent head who have come and gone in the NFL - and there have been truckloads - he wasn't the worst, but he wasn't exactly immune.