[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Assess your team's draft

BeeR

I know there's some remaining but honestly is what 6th rd schmuck they take going to change your mind?

I don't care if you're into giving "grades" or whatever, just interested in general impressions.

Colts: first pick we all knew and also loved nabbing TE Fleener. The second TE was a good value pick but I question the idea of trying to copycat NE with the 2 TE thing. Not saying a bad pick at all on paper, just not sure that was the way to go (I wonder if Randle had lasted one more pick if they would have went that way). The WR they even moved up for I can see the logic - he's a return guy and has the speed they lost with Garcon, but I would have preferred Sanu, despite it leaving them without a real burner, and man unless the D plays way over their heads this year they may set all kinds of records for futility. Granted they weren't about to contend anyway, but......

So I say good draft so far but the lack of D concerns me. Would love to see them nab Crick but with no 4th rounder that aint happening. Some other prospects certainly worth flyers on though.

Edited by BeeR

Seahawks. I have no idea whatsoever. In Pete we trust. Not a huge fan of the Russell Wilson pick, no idea how they are planning to use Wagner. Don't think he has the body to play the middle, but like the idea of adding speed to our defense. 1st rounder Bruce Irvin should help the pass rush immediately, but not sure if he ever translates to a starting role.

It was vitally important that the 'Skins get two QBs out of this draft. Not sure why, but I am sure Shanny has a perfectly good reason. Probably.

Not overly impressed with the draft so far for the 'Skins....but if it sees Shanny out of town it will have done the job that was needed.

I am probably the only person on these boards that believes that RGIII is not the answer. But that will have to be seen down the road. I hope I am wrong.

Extremely pleased with the Falcons draft.. Ryan was never going to take the next step if they didn't get him some help up front.

Offensive tackle was the biggest need, but with McClure turning 35 at center and a bunch of underwhelming guards too, couldn't be happier that the #1 center Konz fell to #55. He can be an immediate starter at G or C and we can see who sticks around him. Don't know alot about the Tackle form Southern Miss they took in the 3th, but again, offensive tackle was the biggest need.

No fourth-rounder from the Julio deal, but ended up with 2 fifth-rounders. Fullback wasn't a sexy pick either, but with landing Asante Samuel last week, Mughelli was about to be cut, and so they needed a replacement... Finally address the pass-rush next, with OLB Massaquoi out of Troy. Not sure if they got him as linebacker depth or to groom at DE, but either was a big need, and this kid projected as a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2010, before weight gain and a poor 2011. He could be a steal if they can get the most out of him.

It was clear that the Falcons weren't going to fill all their needs in this draft, but they addressed the most glaring ones with what looks to be some good value players. Also, if you consider Julio part of this draft class (after using the 1st and 4th for him), the Falcon's cleaned up, IMO...

The Bolts' needs were DEFENSE and then depth in the offensive line and a backup TE to Gates. So far they've picked Melvin Ingram (OLB/DE), Kendall Reyes (DE), and Brandon Taylor (SS) followed by a TE, an OG, and a center. A.J. definitely addressed where the Chargers need help.

There is a glaring error in that report

Minnesota Vikings: You can dock Minnesota if you think Claiborne should have been the pick at 4 over OT Matt Kalil. I think the Vikings did the right thing, and their subsequent pickups of S Harrison Smith (29), CB Josh Robinson (66) and WR Jarius Wright (118) just add to that belief. Grade: A

They still have the Vikings listed as a team from Minnesota

Extremely pleased with the Falcons draft.. Ryan was never going to take the next step if they didn't get him some help up front.

Offensive tackle was the biggest need, but with McClure turning 35 at center and a bunch of underwhelming guards too, couldn't be happier that the #1 center Konz fell to #55. He can be an immediate starter at G or C and we can see who sticks around him. Don't know alot about the Tackle form Southern Miss they took in the 3th, but again, offensive tackle was the biggest need.

No fourth-rounder from the Julio deal, but ended up with 2 fifth-rounders. Fullback wasn't a sexy pick either, but with landing Asante Samuel last week, Mughelli was about to be cut, and so they needed a replacement... Finally address the pass-rush next, with OLB Massaquoi out of Troy. Not sure if they got him as linebacker depth or to groom at DE, but either was a big need, and this kid projected as a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2010, before weight gain and a poor 2011. He could be a steal if they can get the most out of him.

It was clear that the Falcons weren't going to fill all their needs in this draft, but they addressed the most glaring ones with what looks to be some good value players. Also, if you consider Julio part of this draft class (after using the 1st and 4th for him), the Falcon's cleaned up, IMO...

You're probably more correct than I... But, I wasnt too thrilled.

We need DEnds, Corners (many, many, many corners.... and, no, Grimes isn't that great and Samuels is OLD.) safeties, LB.

By next year our D will look like this:

Abraham - 35

Babineaux - 32

Peria Jerry - 29

Dunta Robinson - 31

Asante Samuel - 32

Lof Tatupu - 31

Brent Grimes and Weatherspoon are the only "standouts" on the D who will be under 30 (we'll see how Ray Edwards bounces back this year.) They need to start plugging these holes in this D with younger kids who can learn from the veterans.

Further, If you look down the depth chart you will be hard pressed to find decent backups on this team:

LB - Akeem Dent, Spencer Adkins, Rico Council, Max Gruder (wasn't he the evil guy in Diehard?), Jerrell Harris

DT - Vance Walker, Mcanor Regis, Corey Peters, Ray Kibble...

DE - Kroy Bierman (while good at times, not a long term solution), Cliff Matthews, Lewis Nzegwu, Sidbury,

And I'm not even getting into the catastrophe that is the safety position.

The O-line is a need, but, in order to get to the playoffs you gotta beat your division, our division happens to have Drew Brees and Cam Newton.... and on a good day Freeman can throw the ball. Our pass rush and coverage are deplorable and needed to be shored up.

You're probably more correct than I... But, I wasnt too thrilled.

Na, you're right too, we still have alot of depth and upgrade needs on the defense, but if they'd done it differently, then the O-line would still be in complete shambles, so I think they made the right choice to make sure that Ryan even has the time to even hit the stud who we sacrificed picks for (still totally worth it, IMO).

They did pick up a safety and DT late after I wrote that, and I think Massaquoi could be a studly DE if we can get the most out of him, so I think we did okay to at least bring some depth on the defense... It's just that by getting a gamechanger like Julio, they had to go where the value and glaring needs took them, and that was to address the O-line first.

Also I just found out that Falcons were awarded a $3 million cap credit because of Vick's bankruptcy (still owed them money back), and Samuel's contract is insanely cheap this year. So if they cut Mughelli and save another almost $4 million, Falcons might still be making moves in FA.

Most draft "experts" have given the Bears a C to C+ grade. The major knock has been that we did not address the O-line. That's a valid complaint considering they could have taken Decastro at #19. My response would be that Jay Cutler was sacked only nine times in a seven-game stretch in which the Bears were 6-1 (ie when Martz got his head out of his a**). They averaged 144 rushing yards per game in that span and that was without Gabe Carimi (their 2011 #1 draft pick and arguably our best OL) at right tackle.

I am willing to give our new GM Emery the benefit of the doubt considering he has done wonders in free agency (ie. B. Marshall and M. Bush) and drafting/college player evaluation is supposed to be his strong suit.

BEARS!