[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DMD, when can we expect the Huddle Mock Drafts?

White lightning

I hope they never do. Mocks are way overrated, and there are tons of mock resources already available all over the web. I would much rather the Huddle resources focus on what we're paying for, the high-caliber information and perspective we get here. There have been 3-4 articles I've seen that are stunningly good and that I don't recall seeing in the past. That Primary Receivers report is absolutely phenomenal information. HUGH addition to the lineup, and I hope more similar analysis is planned.

Sounds like you didn't know how to use the mocks to your advantage. They were indeed helpful and the MFL tool that they're replaced it with this year works well. We pay for one-stop shopping here and many people are not interested in going "all over the web" to find whatever prep info we need or we are used to.

No argument (but way off topic) that some of the new angles in the articles have been very interesting this year.

Sounds like you didn't know how to use the mocks to your advantage. They were indeed helpful and the MFL tool that they're replaced it with this year works well. We pay for one-stop shopping here and many people are not interested in going "all over the web" to find whatever prep info we need or we are used to.

No argument (but way off topic) that some of the new angles in the articles have been very interesting this year.

I tend to agree. If for anything mocks are entertaining... This is an entertainment site.

Sounds like you didn't know how to use the mocks to your advantage. They were indeed helpful and the MFL tool that they're replaced it with this year works well.

I didn't say they weren't useful, I said they were overrated. What good is it to draft with a bunch of guys that aren't even in your league? With picks that they don't have to live with the consequences of? I can't tell you how many times in a mock I have heard "I wouldn't draft him, but I wanted to see what my team looked like" or "I'm in a 2 QB league so I drafted them that way". Yeah, that's super helpful. And assuming you do get your entire league's roster together for a mock, why in the world would they tell the truth and mock accurately?

ADP aggregations are a different matter entirely, especially when it's of real drafts like MFL does. The sheer volume associated can blur out the anomalies and give a moderately accurate view of the general range to expect a guy to be drafted in. AP came off PUP on Sunday and his ADP on calculator went from 2.10 to 2.1 - that's going to be very indicative of where "the masses" value him. If you get into a mock and a guy drafts him 5th "because I'm in a keeper league and he's my keeper" that's not.

Well these mock drafts are supposed to be expert mock drafts, not mock drafts by regular Joe's and they are supposed to be drafted by a specific scoring system(PPR<Non-PPR, etc), so yes, they are helpful if you value the opinion of the writers of this site. I personally would like to see a few mock drafts adn analysis. It gives you an idea for what way your team could possibly turn out if you go certain routes. I understand there are other more valuable articles to research, but the "expert" mock drafts i enjoy looking over.

I tend to agree. If for anything mocks are entertaining... This is an entertainment site.

I know I'm still kind of new here, but I thought The Huddle pay site was something to help us win our fantasy leagues. If I want entertainment there are many places I can go for that, including the Tailgate of the Huddle Forums which is free.

Well these mock drafts are supposed to be expert mock drafts, not mock drafts by regular Joe's and they are supposed to be drafted by a specific scoring system(PPR<Non-PPR, etc), so yes, they are helpful if you value the opinion of the writers of this site. I personally would like to see a few mock drafts adn analysis. It gives you an idea for what way your team could possibly turn out if you go certain routes. I understand there are other more valuable articles to research, but the "expert" mock drafts i enjoy looking over.

Actually, they were generally drafted by the first 12 message board members to sign up. Then, time permitting, DMD would do a write up on the teams. While I believe many members of the message board to be quite savvy, I think you would see many of the issues mentioned above in the mocks that were done by board recruitment.

Now, while time consuming, it would be interesting to see the owners/writers of the site participate in a draft, providing analysis of their picks, and then also playing it out during the season giving analysis of the reasons they made certain moves/lineup decisions. Of course, an additional league and doing that kind of analysis takes a level of time commitment I may not want to take away from the staff.

I know I'm still kind of new here, but I thought The Huddle pay site was something to help us win our fantasy leagues. If I want entertainment there are many places I can go for that, including the Tailgate of the Huddle Forums which is free.

There's also a good reason why "entertainment" like that is free :weird:

I hope they never do. Mocks are way overrated, and there are tons of mock resources already available all over the web.

First, I disagree that professional mock drafts are overrated. The huddle used to provide 5-6 mock drafts (PPR, 12 man, 10 man etc) that included professionals from various other sites or savvy Huddle members. Either way, they provided valuable insight on ADP, comparative value of players, and how a professional would put together a team from start to finish. In fact, the 2011 Huddle site touted

"Our mock drafts make it easy to see how your favorite players may sort out during this year’s draft. In addition to our exclusive mock drafts, Huddle members can also gain access to a variety of expert mock auctions and consult their team roster right up until the start of the 2011 NFL fantasy football season... Fantasy football mock drafts from The Huddle put our years of combined experience into your playbook each week. From deep, competitive leagues to friendly competition with friends, the size and structure of your league can have profound impact on your success this season. That's why we compile fantasy football mock drafts for leagues that use a range of scoring systems and roster requirements."

http://www.thehuddle.com/x11/fantasy_football_mock_drafts.php

So, I'm a little confused how the Huddle's professional mock drafts can go from a tool that distinguishes it from other FF sites, to something you try out on MFL?

I didn't say they weren't useful, I said they were overrated. What good is it to draft with a bunch of guys that aren't even in your league?

The Huddle mock drafts weren't with a "bunch of guys", they were with FF professionals. As you said, the problem with MFL, ESPN, Yahoo mock drafts is they consist of teams on autodraft, people trying out crazy strategies, or people that drop out after the 6th round. With the Huddle drafts, at least we knew they consisted of professionals that would make a effort to draft thier teams rounds 1-16.

If anyone feels that mock drafts are helpful I would suggest they find 11 other participants and set one up for themselves. Seems prettty simple to me.

Fleming can attest that this is harder then it sounds. Fleming, I, and 10 other Huddlers (thanks DoG for putting it together) conducted a mock draft a couple of weeks ago. Despite everyone's best efforts and intentions, it took us 5-6 days to complete! I have neither the time, nor the inclination to put together a mock draft that I used to get for my membership fee. Call me lazy, but am I asking to much for the preeminent FF website to put together some professional mock drafts?

Edited by White lightning

You bring up an important point. When I read the OP, I figured he was asking if the Huddle would be hosting mock drafts here. That's what I oppose. Server load/performance and bandwidth and staff support are resources I wouldn't want the huddle wasting on hosting mocks, and the costs associated I am not interested in bearing.

However, the expert mock drafts are indeed more useful so I wouldn't feel as strongly about that. If the articles don't suffer and the staff is involved and commenting I think that would be cool.

You bring up an important point. When I read the OP, I figured he was asking if the Huddle would be hosting mock drafts here. That's what I oppose. Server load/performance and bandwidth and staff support are resources I wouldn't want the huddle wasting on hosting mocks, and the costs associated I am not interested in bearing.

However, the expert mock drafts are indeed more useful so I wouldn't feel as strongly about that. If the articles don't suffer and the staff is involved and commenting I think that would be cool.

That is all I was referring to and assume is what he was referring to. As White Lightning mentioned, the 5-6 mock drafts by the experts that used to be posted is what I was referring to. I enjoy looking at those and believe they are helpful. In reference to hosting mock drafts, no need to have that on this site.

The SOFA drafts aren't run by the Huddle, though it is an industry draft.

The IDP draft just kicked off, in fact, there is a separate thread on it already http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/381532-sofa-season-is-hereidp-draft-kicks-it-off-tomorrow/

I would assume that results will be posted as they are completed, or you can follow/participate in the thread.

BC,

Thanks for the link. This was the kind of "expert" mock draft I was talking about. In a 12-man PPR/IDP, I was suprised to see Lynch at 1.09 (high), Sproles at 3.12 (low), Hillis at 4.3 (high), S. Greene at 5.04 (high) and M. Wallace at 6.09 (low)

fwiw, I gave sproles serious consideration at 3.1(where I think he was still a nice value)...but decided to roll the dice with Matthews instead...the team that took Lynch took him early imo, but then his 2nd round pick of MJD @ 2..4 looks like good value...actually if I told you that team had MJD and Lynch and drafted out of the 9 hole you would most assuredly think he went MJD then Lynch...funny how that worked out. Edited by keggerz

Fantasy Football is entertainment. It is an entertainment industry just like the NFL. The Tailgate is more like volunteer torture.

Fantasy Football is entertainment. It is an entertainment industry just like the NFL. The Tailgate is more like volunteer torture.

My point is I come here to read info to help my fantasy team. I can accept a certain level of humor and other entertainment (like JUM's cheerleaders) but that isn't what I'm here for, and that isn't what I want the staff focusing on. If I want entertainment there are plenty of outlets that exist.

Tailgate can be torture no doubt, there are times I have really regretted joining in some of the "discussions".

The current tailgate is nothing like what made this site great. Now everyone takes themselves too seriously and goes crying to the admin when someone says something they don;t agree with. Used to be able to actually have some great discussions there and some greatthings have come out of it, especially MSHB

If it's "expert" mocks you are looking for, here are links to mocks I've been part of and/or am currently involved in:

FF Toolbox - June

USA Today 1 (DMD also in mock) (was also in the USA Today glossy fantasy football magazine)

LeagueSafe Post Mock

FF Toolbox - July

USA Today 2 (DMD also in mock)

FF Toolbox - August (in progress)

The USA Today 3 mock DMD and I participated in yesterday will be in the USA Today Sports Weekly that comes out August 22.

2V

Allow me to clear up some misinformation floating around in this thread.

It's been 5-6 years since we've "analyzed" a mock draft presented at The Huddle.

The mock drafts presented in the past were never "expert" mocks. They were interesting mocks we found after scouring the ranks of the hundreds done at MFL each year. That process is amazingly time consuming and of decreasing value. Which is why we made the decision to provide the ADP Tool from MFL this season. Which contains hundreds of REAL drafts, not just mocks.

The SOFA drafts presented are indeed "expert" (or "professional" or "industry" as I prefer to call them) leagues and they are leagues The Huddle has organized and run for 13 years now. The 12-team, 10-team and auction leagues will kick off next week. All four drafts will be summarized and presented on the main site for our members.