[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Denver Huddlers - Hillman

Chief Dick

Hillman did have hammy issues but played in the last couple of exhibition games and looked good against AZ, but that was the last preseason game against 2nd & 3rd defenses. He's in a timeshare as RB#2 for the Broncos with Knowshown and Lance Ball, so it's hard to say what his value is (at this time). Knowshown's coming off an ACL with only 9 months recovery, and Ball has looked spotty during the preseason, except for a 38 yard reception vs. SF this preseason. Hillman may emerge as the clear #2 behind McGahee, especially if Knowshown struggles, so it's a gamble.

Edited by Rileyrott

I was down on him before the NFL draft and haven't seen anything since that changes my mind, right up to early August when he tweaked his hammy and then after his return against SF . He's got a decent height/weight ratio at 5'-9" and 200 lbs, but he doesn't run with authority to be anything more than a CoP RB and he spends way too much time going east-west and giving up yds trying to make a big play when he should just settle for taking what he can get going upfield.

Hillman may have put up solid numbers against the Cards, but he also was the least effective RB that got meaningful work against both SF & AZ. J Johnson looked better both running and receiving in those games, and Moreno has looked better than either of those guys in the passing game so far this TC/PS, and that's not to say Moreno has had an epiphany.

Only my opinion, FWIW.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I believe the #2 FF RB in DEN is Lance Ball. The kid might not have elite talent, but he fookin' works for it.

Hillman has little redraft value.

Ball does seem to be one of those guys that exceeds his talent through hard work. Those guys end up being fan favorites and the heart and soul of a team. It takes a unique coach to recognize their value and to keep them around on the roster. All work, no flash.

I believe the #2 FF RB in DEN is Lance Ball. The kid might not have elite talent, but he fookin' works for it.

Hillman has little redraft value.

Can't argue with that. Ball isn't sexy, and you aren't going to get long runs busted off by him, but he runs with great efficiency and lean, and is a chains-mover. Undersung guy, for sure.

FWIW, from rotoworld this morning:

Knowshon Moreno - RB - Broncos

Knowshon Moreno was promoted to the No. 2 running back spot this week.

Lance Ball is now third on the depth chart and rookie Ronnie Hillman is fourth. Moreno earned the gig by rushing 18 times for 84 yards (4.7 YPC) and adding four catches for 40 yards in four preseason games. More importantly, he proved he's bounced back well off last year's ACL tear. Moreno is now the preferred handcuff for Willis McGahee owners, although that's a fluid situation.

I think Hillman is losing out to Moreno is merely for the fact that Hillman is having diffuclty picking up the blitz packages. I think if they can make him a better blocker, he'll be the sure number 2 over Moreno. Moreno still looks un comfortable making cuts on that knee.

Good info, thanks guys.

I drafted McGahee and was considering trying to get his backup. Wasn't sure if that was Hillman, Ball, Moreno, Johnson or somebody else. Ended up passing on all them and somebody else drafted Hillman late.

Seems like I made the right decision, guys like Ronnie Brown & Bernard Scott (I have BJGE) were more clear options than DEN backup RB.