[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2012 Cowboys an Honest Evaluation

Cowboyz1

I was asked to provide some insight on this year Cowboys team MINUS the Homer shades. So I am going to remove my Homer glasses and give you my best shot at evaluating this team. After all I do know every player on this team by heart. I know their back ground, have researched their history and even know who backs them up down to practice squad.

Every year I research the draft picks, go back and watch games they played. I even look at the free agent tapes of their past teams. I watch and listen to most all talk and interviews of each and every player. You could call me a footbal fanatic but if you here reading this, you probably do the same for your own team to some extent.

So here goes. Let me first take these glasses off...............there..............DAMN.

So lets start with the Offense. The glasses don't change much about what I think about Romo. If he gets protection he is lethal.

Those of you lucky enough to have Romo as your starting QB you should be very pleased.

Recievers: Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, Witten in that order of priority. Witten is not his first look and many times isn't his second read. Witten has about 4 to 5 first look plays per game. Romo looks for the deep out then the deep middle and then Witten unless the play is designed for Witten on the curl or seam routes. Dez has been BY FAR the best player in camp this year. He has been impossible to cover. He is in shape this year so you won't see him disappear after the first quarter this year. The only thing stopping him from being a super star is him and off the field issues.

Issue has always been time. What I have noticed is Romo is an excellent at pocket movement and avoids the rush so well that many plays have already broken down and become a free lance effort a lot of times. That is why I call him slip. He slips the pass rush and makes a play time in and time out. He also makes a few press passes that cause him trouble. He does this because he knows that if he doesn't take the chance they don't keep the drive moving and the Defense can't be trusted to get him the ball back without giving up points. I really can't blame him but did you see what happened when Murray was in the game getting 4 to 6 yards a carry and getting the tough one or two to keep the drive alive!

How many teams last year had a whopping 5 rushing TD's, one of those were by Romo. 5 frigin rushing TD's. That means if Romo wasn't throwing a touchdown, they weren't scoring. That puts a lot of pressure on pass protection because when you only have 4 rushing TD's guess what. Their passing fellas...........duhhh.....

I have noticed a lot more slant routes and back shoulder fades this year and Dez seams to understand the importance of being at the spot. Look for a more three step passing attack.

Now as far as the rest of the WR corps what your going to see is spot duty. Beasley has been really impressive but he is small. Really small. But he gets open and is super quick and hard to cover out of the slot. He will be our 3rd down ace when we need a play on 3rd and 3 to 10 yards. The kid has great hands. Harris has improved his route running and has good hands but lacks speed. Holmes is the redzone fade guy who can use his height to go up and get the ball. Ogletree is just another guy in my opinion. None of the back up guys have showed me anything yet to have me believe they will be more then role players. Beasley is a intriguing kid though. He's smart, really smart and knows how to find open space and accelerate out. If you want a possession type guy in the mold of Amendola or Steve Smith type guy then get him.

The O line is a question mark. We brought in Livings and Barney (Bernadeau) 6-4 308 and Livings from the Bengals who a 6-5 325 brawler. The O line was pieced together last year with duck tape. Smith has been real solid and is a true Pro Bowl tackle. Free should do better in his natural position at right tackle. All in all when this O line plays together for a few games they will be much better then last year. Costa at center is in his second year and should be better but gets over powered. Cook may just take his job.

You guys, I'm telling you Demarco Murray is the real deal. He has a mean steak that I really didn't know about until this offseason and training camp. He mixed it up with Lee several time in practice running each other over and jawing back and forth. The kid runs with power and wiggle. I'm telling you now. This kid is special. Really special. I want to say he will be what Terrel Davis was to Elway and the Broncos. Seriously. I have him in every league. I am really not worried about the injury bug.

Murray will have 5 swing passes per game and will be utilized much more in the passing game. Much like Forte.

The Cowboys offense depends on three things. Protection, Murray staying healthy and either Dez or Austin playing all 16 games.

Surpises to look for: Phillips at TE. He is a really good route runner and will catch the ball in traffic. Tanner over Felix by midseason. Beasley to be on the field more and more as the season progresses.

Weaknesses: The O line is still in flux. If they don't gel quick it won't matter how good our receivers are or how good Murray is. However, they have to be better then last years patchwork line.

Defensively: I don't really know what to think about this defense. Newman is gone, as is Elam and Jenkins is reserve. So we are far more deep at CB then in any year I can remember. Carr is in from KC on one side and MO Claiborne on the other. Scandrick in the slot. Back deep at safety are Sensebaugh and Barry Church. Now Church is a hitter and is not afraid to come down hill and hurt you. The deep middle awareness looks to be improved but can't know for sure until their out there.

Mo has been solid in camp. He doesn't have great speed but he has really good technique and he doesn't get run away from! He stays on the receivers hip and plays the ball well in the air. He is really fluid. Very little wasted movement in his game. Can he be great, we'll see but from what I have seen he won't get beat all that much. But can he ball hawk in this league.

Scandrick is a good slot corner but just seems to be a tad late on the play. I worry about slot receivers like Cruz, Welker, quick shifty guys that cause him problems. He tackles well but prone to be over aggressive and getting PI calls.

Church is the wildcard in the secondary. He is better then Elam and Hamiln but our 4 round draft pick Matt Johnson may push him before all is said and done. I have to think they will be better in space and deep range but who know until they go live.

The D line is still a question mark. Hatcher is coming on but basically I just don't see the kind of rotation that say the Giants can throw at you. Josh Brent and Lissamore are second year rookies getting their first chance to be starters. Brent is disruptive but not consistent. Same with Lissamore.

Ware is ware and until we get another pressure player they will still be good but not great.

Lee is a stud at middle line backer. He make decisions so fast and has no wasted movement. He's like a heat seeking missile when he plays. Now the difference maker will be Bruce Carter. Our second round pick from last year. He was a first round talent but slipped because of an ACL tear his senior year. He got on the field some last year but didn't trust his knee. They have to be better then Bradie James and Brooking in coverage so the middle should be tougher to exploit by TE's and backs. I'm telling you though Lee is really really good.

Bottom line is this. Without my glasses there are many questions marks. Can the Defense create pressure besides Ware. Is the Secondary better now or will it take a year for MO and Church to learn more. This year will be all about the Defense again as the Offense barring injury should average close to 25 to 30 a game. That should win you a lot of games if the D hold up. Murray will be a difference maker. Really has all the tools to be a workhorse back that wares down defenses and helps the passing game. Depth is a HUGE concern though. A few injuries and this team is right back in the hunt for high draft picks. Very little depth behind the starters at Safety, Corner and D line. Quite possible another 8-8 season.

:shades: Glasses back on..............OH YEAH. With all the question marks, I still have to say this Cowboys team has 11-5 potential. Carter and Lee in the middle while the Secondary creates that extra second for the rush to get home. Slip doing what he do with Murray to hand off to...........man o man were in for a good season or two ;)

Edited by Cowboyz1

A difficult division to get seperation in. I could easily see the Egles, Giants, and Cowboys all finishing 9-7. With good fourtune any of them could jump to 11 wins. This should be a compelling divisional race. I see it being similar to what may happen in the NFC north. Each of the Bears, Packers, and Lions are dangerous in their own right, or at least are capable, sans injury, of being very dangerous.

Sometimes I like to incite when it comes to the Cowboys, sometimes I like to provide insight. Not ripping the typo because I am the typo king, I just found it funny because you are going to incite some with your insight.

Thanks D. spell checker failed me again :doh:

A difficult division to get seperation in. I could easily see the Egles, Giants, and Cowboys all finishing 9-7. With good fourtune any of them could jump to 11 wins. This should be a compelling divisional race. I see it being similar to what may happen in the NFC north. Each of the Bears, Packers, and Lions are dangerous in their own right, or at least are capable, sans injury, of being very dangerous.

Two games last year showed me what the Cowboys are capable of. When we won in SF and took the Pats to the final drive. If we are better this year we could very well content. When you think about it 5 games last year came down to a play here or a play there. That is a lot of room for improvement and the combination of Carter, Murray, MO, Carr, Church should make up that difference as I don't see the other teams in the division improving all that much. In fact, the Giants Secondary is worse. The Eagles have issues on the line. Washington could surprise but a Rookie QB coming right in and playing lights out is rare especially given the talent around him.

I thought "Slip" was referencing the muffed FG hold. :shrug:

It is, now you see how good the nick is......... :clap:

Tony Romo aka Slip. Elusive while known to slip up at times, while slipping the ball into tight spaces and slipping quietly into the record books. My man Slip. Now all he has to do is Slip into the Super Bowl, Slip out from under that Monkey on his back and he's a lock to slip right into the HOF while you all slip out of my threads trying to Slip past me before I can say...........I TOLD YOU SO!

Edited by Cowboyz1

I am a Giants fan and like you, I took my glasses off for this post because I truly hate the Cowboys. Two of my kids, ages 9 and 7 now, asked me a couple of years ago who I rooted for. I told them the Giants. They asked who they should root for and I told them whoever you liked with one caveat - you can not pick the Cowboys. Thankfully one picked the Jets and the other the Giants.

On to you post, I feel like the Cowboys are one of those teams - lately - that finds a way to lose. Not all the time. But enough to keep them from becoming one of the better teams oin the league. Every year I hear about "this is the year" and it never happens. They are blessed with talent up and down the roster, but somehow, they can't get over that hurdle. I do not know if it is because they are chokers or they are missing something - that IT factor. But for the past few years, I fear the Eagles more than the Cowboys and whenever we play the Cowboys, I always feel we are never out of it no matter what the score. And they are the only team the Giants play I feel that way about.

Could this be the year? I have no clue. I will say, they players are there for it to be. If they are healthy all year, especially Murray, they have a chance for 11-5 and the NFC East title. Conversely, I can see them at 8-8 and MASSIVELY underachieving again.

One thing is for sure, if they finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs or make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round. all eyes will have to point at Romo as not being able to get the job done and perhaps it would be time to think long and hard about moving on from him.

Now, putting my glasses back on, I pray to God they go 0-16 so I can see Jerry Jones's head explode.

I would wish you good luck, but I would be lying!!! ;)

Edited by Wpob

Tony Romo aka Slip. Elusive while known to slip up at times, while slipping the ball into tight spaces and slipping quietly into the record books. My man Slip. Now all he has to do is Slip into the Super Bowl, Slip out from under that Monkey on his back and he's a lock to slip right into the HOF while you all slip out of my threads trying to Slip past me before I can say...........I TOLD YOU SO!

Wow

Yawn, same old analysis more or less. Maybe a little less homerish in reviewing the various areas of the team (But not really Romo at QB where you tell us "you'd be happy to have Romo as my QB", wouldn't Rogers, Brees, Brady or a few others make them even happier.

But then at the end, before even making a season prediction you put your homer glasses back on and come back with the 11-5.

So what do you see them doing without the homer glasses?

And if this was just another fishing expedition, you got me...

Yawn, same old analysis more or less. Maybe a little less homerish in reviewing the various areas of the team (But not really Romo at QB where you tell us "you'd be happy to have Romo as my QB", wouldn't Rogers, Brees, Brady or a few others make them even happier.

But then at the end, before even making a season prediction you put your homer glasses back on and come back with the 11-5.

So what do you see them doing without the homer glasses?

And if this was just another fishing expedition, you got me...

No that was serious.

Glasses off the team could very well go 8-8 again if the line is no better then last years injury plagued rotation happens again or Murray gets dinged up. I could also see them going the same if two or more CB are in and out of the lineup because we have little depth behind the starters.

No that was serious.

Glasses off the team could very well go 8-8 again if the line is no better then last years injury plagued rotation happens again or Murray gets dinged up. I could also see them going the same if two or more CB are in and out of the lineup because we have little depth behind the starters.

Fair enough. I think my homer view of the Browns would be MAYBE 8-8.

Sorry to be one of those who jump on your posts a lot. I just have issues with extreme homers (regardless of team) and generally don't like Cowboy (or Steeler) fans. I give you credit for sticking your neck out like that, since you know the criticism will come.

Good luck tonight, I hope Witten heals and is ready to go soon, drafted him as my starting TE but am ok with Jared Cook as his backup.

Fair enough. I think my homer view of the Browns would be MAYBE 8-8.

Sorry to be one of those who jump on your posts a lot. I just have issues with extreme homers (regardless of team) and generally don't like Cowboy (or Steeler) fans. I give you credit for sticking your neck out like that, since you know the criticism will come.

Good luck tonight, I hope Witten heals and is ready to go soon, drafted him as my starting TE but am ok with Jared Cook as his backup.

Dude, I almost called you newb there. I'm a big boy so don't you fret one bit about coming in here strong. Remember this is football, bring it........There's no Sorries in football. Just good hits, followed by a helping hand up and a slap on top of the helmet.

I know when I get a cheap shot and have to put someone in the crosshairs. Your comments hardly warrant an apology. Play on Steve and welcome back. We are in for another great year of football. :tup::celb:

Edited by Cowboyz1

The interesting thing about the Cowboys is that they historically crumble in December no matter how good they look up until that point. But this year they have only two road games, (@CIN, @WAS) in their final seven weeks (CLE, WAS, PHI, PIT, NO) . That is a benefit of some extent.

I think I'm gonna SLIP in my own :sick:

:wink: