[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Future for Cordarrelle Patterson?

0311grunt

I've been holding onto him for a few years in a Dynasty league with a large roster. Been waiting for this guy to do something great, but nothing yet. Is there any particular reason for the lack of productivity? Bad QB, bad routes, or bad skills altogether? Haven't been able to see him play all that much. Any insight would be grateful.

Bust. Nothing but a special teamer.

Kinda harsh/premature, no?

Don't "most" WRs really blossom in Year 3?

Full disclosure: I own him in a grand total of zero leagues. Not a Viking homer. Avoided the guy like the plague in redrafts this year. Didn't get the sudden love for the guy based on potential, rookie numbers and Harvin leaving.

That all said, I think the guy is oozing with raw talent. It was pretty much a known fact that the guy was rough around the edges and would need some time.... and out of nowhere we anoint him a near stud in Year 2?

OK, so he's back to where we originally had him pegged. So what? What's with the roller-coaster? Can't you just put him back on the track we all knew he'd likely be on?

The guy has obvious physical gifts. It may take another year or two for him to blossom, but it could still happen.

• Like 2

Kinda harsh/premature, no?

Don't "most" WRs really blossom in Year 3?

Full disclosure: I own him in a grand total of zero leagues. Not a Viking homer. Avoided the guy like the plague in redrafts this year. Didn't get the sudden love for the guy based on potential, rookie numbers and Harvin leaving.

That all said, I think the guy is oozing with raw talent. It was pretty much a known fact that the guy was rough around the edges and would need some time.... and out of nowhere we anoint him a near stud in Year 2?

OK, so he's back to where we originally had him pegged. So what? What's with the roller-coaster? Can't you just put him back on the track we all knew he'd likely be on?

The guy has obvious physical gifts. It may take another year or two for him to blossom, but it could still happen.

This. I just think it's too early to tell. Was it premature to annoint him the "WR1" label? Sure, but it's not like the MIN situation has been a stable one this year. A lot changed since Week 1, and prior to that (in the pre-season), he appeared to be their best WR, actually. If Cassel had stayed healthy, and AP had played this year, who knows... things might be different. So, it's not impossible (or even unlikely) that he will start again, at some point. Jennings is long in the tooth, and other than that, they don't have much. Johnson has some upside, I suppose, but nobody else on their roster is anything more than bench material at best.

Unless there's some reason to drop him now (like not enough roster space), I'd hold him and give it one more year. I own him in one dynasty league, and I'm certainly not dropping him after this year. If anything, I'm interested to see if/how he develops in a season with less drama than this one had... No question about who the QB should be, no AP baggage, etc.

I do own him on a dynasty team and have followed him pretty closely. There has been nothing in the last two years that suggests he is going to suddenly get it and break out. If anything, he has gotten worse - four scores last year and just one this year. They started the year trying to incorporate him into the offense and they have given up. He has five catches total over the last five weeks and zero in the last two.

If he is pacing himself, the breakout comes when he is about 47 years old.

• Like 1

I do own him on a dynasty team and have followed him pretty closely. There has been nothing in the last two years that suggests he is going to suddenly get it and break out. If anything, he has gotten worse - four scores last year and just one this year. They started the year trying to incorporate him into the offense and they have given up. He has five catches total over the last five weeks and zero in the last two.

If he is pacing himself, the breakout comes when he is about 47 years old.

If I had to put money on it, I'm guessing you're right. All I'm saying is that the OP said he owns Patterson in a dynasty league with deep rosters... I see no reason to cut bait right now, in that format.

Strictly looking at the numbers, sure... he hasn't done anything to lead one to believe that he's going to suddenly break out. But, that doesn't mean he's not worth holding, if you have room to do so. He was the guy making key catches, to keep drives alive, in the pre-season. I would even go so far as to say that he was the "go to" receiver. Obviously, that's a small sample size (the equivalent of a couple of meaningless exhibition games), but it's at least an indicator that there is potential (besides just being athletic/fast). Give him an off-season with Teddy as the #1 QB, and see what happens.

Does that mean I would keep Patterson in a keeper league where it costs me, let's say a 6th round pick? Heck no. But, in a league where I can keep Patterson, or drop him to pick up the next long-shot rookie in hopes that they're the next Alfred Blue or Taylor Gabriel, I'll take my chances on Patterson.

Word is that he is lazy. He has gotten by on his raw talent for a long time, but now that he is a pro he has to study plays so that he knows his routes, and he has to study defensive schemes so that he can recognize when to deviate from the plan... but he doesn't want to put in the time. He also has struggled with simply getting separation. With no work ethic to speak of, he just isn't THAT good to overcome his deficiencies as a pro. He's down to single digit offensive snaps per game. Maybe some other team can help him blossom, but the current Vikings coaching staff has pretty much seen enough of what he is willing to do. His future is up to him.

• Like 1

He reminds me alot of Dexter McCluster. Boat loads of talent but destined for ST's.

No offense, but this is an incredibly bad comparison.

McCluster is 5'8" and 170 pounds with his pads on.

Patterson is 6'2", 220 lbs.

McCluster is a gadget guy that was a RB/WR in college (on a bad team that just needed playmakers).

Patterson is a WR that just so happens to have skills running the ball.

McCluster doesn't have much talent.

Patterson does.

/argument

-----

As for responding to other posts, I agree that this season has been a complete and utter failure for Patterson. But what if he had a more stable QB situation? A run game behind him that defenses had to key on? Could have been vastly different.

No way I'd cut bait in any dynasty situation.

Could he flop? Absolutely. Could he turn things around given his God-given talent? Could happen, sure.

• Like 1