[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marcus Mariota declares for draft

tazinib1

So you explain to me where you think Russell Wilson is a better quartback...

Please explain the difference in quickness and footwork from Russell Wilson to Mariota

Explain to me the intangables in terms of awareness and leadership and being able to have that WILL to win

Please tell me where Wilson excels and Mariota doesnt..

I watched Russell Wilson at NC STATE and Wisconsin and if you can sit there and say Wilson was better in all these ways you're wrong.

check in

I think both of the big-name QBs this year have the potential to be very successful in the NFL, but both are fairly risky picks. Winston needs to get his honda together off the field, and Mariota will need to develop as a passer. Mariota wasn't asked to read defenses much in the Oregon offense, and did not have to throw into very tight windows at all. I know this will draw many rofl emoticons from our resident expert, but IMO, Winston is the better QB. If he wasn't such a moran, I think he would be ahead of Mariota on most draft boards. His game has some blemishes as well, (has really struggled with the zone blitz, throwing several INTs this year because of it) but overall he's the better passer and the most pro-ready out of the two. I'd like to think he shapes up once he gets to the big leagues, but Manziel has definitely proven that it doesn't always work that way.

check in

check in

Johnny Manziel is 5'11 weak and runs a 4.7 40 .. his arm strength and release to me were never any good IMO...

Mariota is 6'4 220 and runs a 4.4 flat, he has better footwork and awareness than manziel ever had

Oregon had to prepare for some serious defenses including the university of washington which is a defense i was high on all year and generated 3 all americans and 4 first round draft picks..

Mariota simply destroyed them

Stop it.

Mariota has a quicker release than Winston, Winston reminds me of a smaller version of dante culpepper nothing less nothing more, his attitude to me wont propel him to the next level as a good qb

...And this is why nobody argues with you. It appears that you just saw "Manziel" and presumed I was comparing him to Mariota. Read my post thoroughly and check in again.

...And this is why nobody argues with you. It appears that you just saw "Manziel" and presumed I was comparing him to Mariota. Read my post thoroughly and check in again.

I addresed your concerns about not having to read defenses, Mariota also puts more zip on the ball than winston does, The arm strength may be a concern in terms of down field throws but thats all. Mariota has a better pocket presence than Winston, Winston has a tendencey to get wreckless with the ball, Mariota never turns the ball over.

Edited by InTomWeTrust

I address your concerns about not having to read defenses, Mariota also puts more zip on the ball than winston does, The arm strength may be a concern in terms of down field throws but thats all. Mariota has a better pocket presence than Winston, Winston has a tendencey to get wreckless with the ball, Mariota never turns the ball over.

Even though I disagree with some of what you said, I appreciate the punctuation, non-jackass tone, and non-wacky formatting. :tup:

As for the actual post content, one can't deny the turnover discrepancy between Mariota and Winston. If I recall correctly, Mariota had a 19:1 td:int ratio in the regular season. That's pretty crazy. Winston had something like 18 picks, which isn't good. Put Mariota in the FSU offensive system, though, and I think his TO numbers spike - likewise, I think Winston's INTs drop considerably if he gets put in the Oregon offense.

Physically, Mariota has an edge, but Winston isn't necessarily inept in terms of arm strength, mobility, etc. He's obviously much more of a pocket passer, but he can still scramble and extend plays. Athleticism isn't a problem for either QB IMO.

Even though I disagree with some of what you said, I appreciate the punctuation, non-jackass tone, and non-wacky formatting. :tup:

As for the actual post content, one can't deny the turnover discrepancy between Mariota and Winston. If I recall correctly, Mariota had a 19:1 td:int ratio in the regular season. That's pretty crazy. Winston had something like 18 picks, which isn't good. Put Mariota in the FSU offensive system, though, and I think his TO numbers spike - likewise, I think Winston's INTs drop considerably if he gets put in the Oregon offense.

Physically, Mariota has an edge, but Winston isn't necessarily inept in terms of arm strength, mobility, etc. He's obviously much more of a pocket passer, but he can still scramble and extend plays. Athleticism isn't a problem for either QB IMO.

so what makes you think that Mariotta would struggle more in the ACC rather than the pac12?

so what makes you think that Mariotta would struggle more in the ACC rather than the pac12?

Nothing to do with conference really, more with the different offensive systems. Throw Mariota in a pro-style system like FSU's, and he is not as successful. Put Winston in a system like Oregon's, where he has much more open throwing lanes and doesn't have to read defenses, and he is much more successful.

Nothing to do with conference really, more with the different offensive systems. Throw Mariota in a pro-style system like FSU's, and he is not as successful. Put Winston in a system like Oregon's, where he has much more open throwing lanes and doesn't have to read defenses, and he is much more successful.

Oregon has played tougher defenses than Florida State has IMO

Mariotta had to read defenses, those commments are simply not true.

Mariotta had to read defenses, those commments are simply not true.

Not nearly as much as Winston, and nowhere close to the amount of defense reading he will have to do in the pros. Success in a college-style offense like Oregon's does not translate very well to the NFL. Mariota may have the most potential out of the two top QBs, but Winston is the more pro-ready prospect at this point.

A person familiar with the team, who has to remain anonymous because they're not authorized to say anything says blah-blah-blah and the media believes it and runs with it.

I'd say more smoke screen than real potential. Sure Chip may want his boy wonder for his NFL team, but letting info leak that you'd trade the world for him won't help.

I don't see it. It would certainly be a blockbuster though.

It's tough to move from pick 20 to the top 5, especially when teams are going to assume that the Eagles' 1st round picks in future years will be in the bottom third of round one. When the Redskins moved up for RGIII, they had the 6th pick of the 1st round and still had to add 2 more 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick. Chip Kelly might be doing this to help create buzz for his former player. If they truly wanted Mariota, I don't think they'd be tipping their hand.

A person familiar with the team, who has to remain anonymous because they're not authorized to say anything says blah-blah-blah and the media believes it and runs with it.

I'd say more smoke screen than real potential. Sure Chip may want his boy wonder for his NFL team, but letting info leak that you'd trade the world for him won't help.

Hi, we're desperate for this guy and will give you anything you want. Probably more telling that they DON'T have interest

Hard to argue that Winston is better than Marriota, but that's not really the question we need to be answering. The question is do either of these top rated QB's have top flight NFL talent. I'm not so sure. Winston is clearly a head case and I expect his stock to drop. Marriota is not and has the intangeables to be good. I'm not convinced he can be great. I don't think he will be able to come in and take a mediocre team to the AFC championship like Luck. I think he's much better than Manziel but about the same to Wilson, maybe not as smart (not sure about that) which means he has a chance to be good on a great team. He would have to fall pretty far to end up on a potentially great team like Houston.