[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Rivalry of All-Time

URLACHERisGOD

Of course, there are several good ones out there. All allegiances aside, which do you think is the best one?

I'm not asking who the greatest team of All-Time is. The question at hand is the greatest RIVALRY of All-Time.

I have put a few that come to mind in a poll. Feel free to add some, if you wish.

I voted for Army v. Navy.

IMO - there is no better example of a rivalry. If OSU & Mich (or USC & UCLA) were 1-8 & 2-7 for a few consecutive years, that game would still have significance to each school, but I doubt it would be ABC's game of the week. But I am not a fan of the Army football team or Navy football team and I don't think there is a bigger game than that annual rivalry.

Piss on OSU and Mich!!!!!!!

They have been in the same conference for how long???????????? So this constitutes a rivarly???? When the Big 8 was the Big 8 and not the Big 12. The OU vs TX game was all about braggin rights and many times helped decide a national champ. In the days of the AP and coaches poll it would have been impoosible for OSU and Mich to play each other for a championship, or a major bowl game, Rose was Big 10 vs Pac 10. With OU and Texas being in seperate Conf it would have been possible but not probable, since the SWC went to pick cotton, and the Big8 went to pick oranges.

Point I'm trying to make is that OSU/Mich riviraly is longer in years but the amount of games that OU/TX have played each other is the same as OSU/Mich. Plus I'm a SOONERS Fan By God and thats just the way it is

justin

IMO - there is no better example of a rivalry.  If OSU & Mich (or USC & UCLA) were 1-8 & 2-7 for a few consecutive years, that game would still have significance to each school, but I doubt it would be ABC's game of the week. But I am not a fan of the Army football team or Navy football team and I don't think there is a bigger game than that annual rivalry.

Well, then there's the UN-patriotic, cynical story as to why Army-Navy is such a big game:

Before the advent of conference championship games, in those dark decades known as "pre-mid 90s", "Rivalry Week" (Auburn-Bama, U-Dub-Wazzu, Bucks-Blue, etc) was traditionally the 2nd to last week of the college football season. The FINAL week consisted of ONE game - Army-Navy.

And it WAS and IS a great rivalry, don't get me wrong - but back then, it was also a Super Bowl of sorts - last chance for the gambler who were down for the year to get back to even with one big bet.

Hence, a large part of the interest doesn't come from rooting on our service academies (I've always been partial to Air Force, myself) or any swell of patriotism, but to the fact that it's the losing gambler's last shot at even for the college football year.

Just a story I heard; sounded crazy enough to be true.

Not sure why Kansas/MIssouri is not on there. It's the oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi River and extremely violent (mostly from the hillbilly Misery side) and heated. Plus the overall record is nearly dead even. The fact that the rivalry is well over 100 years old and has roots in American history makes it even more interesting.

Chavez:

justin

IMO - there is no better example of a rivalry.  If OSU & Mich (or USC & UCLA) were 1-8 & 2-7 for a few consecutive years, that game would still have significance to each school, but I doubt it would be ABC's game of the week. But I am not a fan of the Army football team or Navy football team and I don't think there is a bigger game than that annual rivalry.

Well, then there's the UN-patriotic, cynical story as to why Army-Navy is such a big game:

The FINAL week consisted of ONE game - Army-Navy.

but back then, it was also a Super Bowl of sorts - last chance for the gambler who were down for the year to get back to even with one big bet.

Hence, a large part of the interest doesn't come from rooting on our service academies (I've always been partial to Air Force, myself) or any swell of patriotism, but to the fact that it's the losing gambler's last shot at even for the college football year.

Just a story I heard; sounded crazy enough to be true.

Nice story but I'm not quite ready for bed just yet. There are these little games they play throughout December and into January called Bowl Games that garner a bit of attention by both the fan and the gambler.

I don't expect fans of schools in those other rivalry games to buy into Army-Navy but I have been following it, as well as OU-Nebraska and OU-Texas, as long as I was old enough to care about who won. The bottom line has always been OU-Nebraska, OU-Texas, ND-USC, OSU-Michigan, FL-FlaSt, Mia-FlaSt, etc. are always huge to their fans but quite limited in scope when there's nothing major on the line. With Army-Navy the only things on the line lately are little things called pride and bragging rights and yet the viewing audiences are still huge and WE still consider it one of the great rivalries of all time.

The simple fact that a game played between lowly Army and Navy can even be compared to the juggernauts of college football is what makes it the greatest rivalry.

I don't know whether the readers of this forum are a fair representation of the general football public. However, I have to assume they are, based on user geographical range and the Internet's democratizing effect.

If this is true, the answer to this topic's question is clear.

OSU-Michigan wins by almost 5 to 1 landslide over the next closest rivalry.

OSU-Michigan beats OU-TX by almost 7 to 1.

(Next I suppose you OU-TX homers will argue that DMD secretly target markets the Huddle to OSU-UoM homers.) :D

Certainly these "results" are skewed. People posting about college football at this time of year usually support teams that are still playing well.

People especially excited about college football this week include fans whose rivalry game is this week.

URLACHERisGOD:

Where is the OSU - Michigan game played every year?

Why is it that the Sooners play Nebraska on rivalry weekend again? If you can't even pick your #1 rival, you can't have the greatest. The fact that Texas ou play in the Cotton Bowl during the state fair only makes the game akin to the bearded lady. :D