[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crazy Strategy

msmith379

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is funny sh!t.

He's in a position to enhance his matchup, why not? He's not giving up on his season and abandoning his lineups. He thinks he can press his advantage by using what he's built up and spending a little of it. It isn't unethical like so many charge here. Sure, it'll blow up in his face with all the poetic justice of an atomic bomb  but it's good to be the king when you're the king. Wouldn't get invited back? You guys are the Rosie O'Donnell....

A few weeks ago I traded Tiki Barber to the last place team after I whupped him for Tony Gonzalez and the Jags. I had no 3rd WR (Randle-El) or decent D (Stl and NE). He had 2 of my division opponents left to play. I gave up a true STUD to lock up my division (as I was 3 games up) and focus solely on my weeks 15+16 matchups. So far, so good as I won my division last week, as he beat both guys these past 3 weeks. I gave up a lot to get a more rounded team AND a playoff bid. Is that really any different? I had a lead, had an expendable RB (also have SA and Taylor/Jones) and saw an opening. It wasn't a giveaway trade but it wasn't even-Steven either. I don't have Barber for the playoffs, but the Jags RB's Tony G and the jax D to go with Stl. I put myself in a better position to win and gave up something for it. I didn't do it through lineups shenanigins, but everyone was ok with the trade because we all know all's fair in FF as long as you are trying to win a championship and are actually PAYING ATTENTION to what it might take.

1181445[/snapback]

Savvy owner move Pope...I don't see that as the same because you didn't have any lineup shenanigins.

Thanks. I needed that. :D

I would make a wager that you don't commish a single league. Be honest, am I right?

1181453[/snapback]

No you are wrong, but not this year. In 8 years in our local I've done it twice and we have 4 guys that have done it. I might go in again next year, but our current Commish might do it one more year.

This isn't a crap trade or abandonment. He won't even be effecting who makes the playoffs but wants to dictate his seed, and is in a position to do so. Why shouldn't he? he's earned it with his vics.

Lighten up Francis.

No you are wrong, but not this year. In 8 years in our local I've done it twice and we have 4 guys that have done it. I might go in again next year, but our current Commish might do it one more year.

This isn't a crap trade or abandonment. He won't even be effecting who makes the playoffs but wants to dictate his seed, and is in a position to do so. Why shouldn't he? he's earned it with his vics.

Lighten up Francis.

1181465[/snapback]

Believe me, I'm light. Not like, "light in the loafers" light, just light. :D

The reason I mentioned the commish thing was not meant as an attack, I was trying to make a point. The point being that this is a thing about ethics IMO, and commishes know how important it is to preserve the integrity of the league. The reason you have disagreements on this, is because people value FF ethics differently. That's all.

And while were at it, the Bears suck. :D

Believe me, I'm light. Not like, "light in the loafers" light, just light. :D

The reason I mentioned the commish thing was not meant as an attack, I was trying to make a point. The point being that this is a thing about ethics IMO, and commishes know how important it is to preserve the integrity of the league. The reason you have disagreements on this, is because people value FF ethics differently. That's all.

And while were at it, the Bears suck.  :D

1181472[/snapback]

I'm down with the integrity, but there also needs to be a balance of both consistency and allowing people to control their own teams. By that I mean if his league has faced this before they need to go with set precedent. If they haven't seen this before (and I haven't in my local) they should tread carefully because otherwise you are saying that if the other 11 owners get together they can set YOUR lineup as they see it best OVER your protestations. I don't think you are arguing for that, but that's the area you tread into if the guy is telling everyone what he wants to do. He'd get points for being honest in my league at least.

This past weekend a guy on the cusp of the playoffs benched BOTH AJohnson and JLewis in favor of MMoore and Kevin Curtis. Had he started his 1st and 3rd Rd picks he would have won his game by 1 point and he and two other teams would still be in it. Instead he lost by 20 and all playoff seeds were set. Now, should we have stopped him ahead of time? Of course not. He could very well be this guy, but just play dumb with his reasons and lie to everyone while tossing in a bogus lineup to slip in his seeds.

He's into a gray area, but "unethical" and "be a man" are sayings from those who don't know what it's like to see things from the driver's seat IMO.

If the Bears suck, what's that make your 2nd place team? The Good Ship Lollipop?

Savvy owner move Pope...I don't see that as the same because you didn't have any lineup shenanigins.

1181452[/snapback]

That was a Dennis Leonard move, as I made the trade after reading his D breakdown from WWW in week 9. I saw the light, and hopefully it pays.

This all seems pretty marginal to me. If he was tanking to get a better draft spot in a keeper league, or tanking to help a buddy through to the playoffs at the expense of someone else, then yeah, but this is an effort to select a first round opponent - he already said there are no byes.

It will undoubtedly fail as a strategy, there are too many variables on any given week, so personally I would play my best team every week regardless. This season it's completely hypothetical for me anyway, as I will be lucky to get a sniff of any playoffs at all.

This all seems pretty marginal to me.  If he was tanking to get a better draft spot in a keeper league, or tanking to help a buddy through to the playoffs at the expense of someone else, then yeah, but this is an effort to select a first round opponent - he already said there are no byes. 

It will undoubtedly fail as a strategy, there are too many variables on any given week, so personally I would play my best team every week regardless.  This season it's completely hypothetical for me anyway, as I will be lucky to get a sniff of any playoffs at all.

1181500[/snapback]

Yeah!!! What Ursa said!! :D

That's the worst thing about my league is we only have the monetary points for the two people to make it in the championship game. Last year I won the points and the regular season and came away with nothing. That is one reason I am thinking about this. I want to find the best edge I can find to get me to the money. I know it doesn't matter but I have a honeymoon to pay for and booze at a wedding. It's all about the important things in life.

That's the worst thing about my league is we only have the monetary points for the two people to make it in the championship game.  Last year I won the points and the regular season and came away with nothing.  That is one reason I am thinking about this.  I want to find the best edge I can find to get me to the money.  I know it doesn't matter but I have a honeymoon to pay for and booze at a wedding.  It's all about the important things in life.

1181512[/snapback]

There you have it again......Smith has the hot topic tonight and his priority is straight. Got ta luv FF :D

Just to let you all know it looks I may lose this week no matter what when I look at the predictions.  So this whole conversation be for nothing.  Thanks for all your thoughts.

1181537[/snapback]

Hey, thank you for giving us something to argue about today. :D

I could do the same this week.I am playing a guy who needs the W to get in at the 8 seed.The 7 seed is already locked in and has Peyton Manning.If I win I will be the 2 seed because I will be second in points.I will set my lineup to win even though I don't want to face Manning in the first round.Tanking is BS in my book.If your team is that good you shouldn't worry about who you are facing.

Here we go again but the only thing it will screw up in the league is the seeding for the playoffs.  But it probably won't matter anymore anyways.

1181554[/snapback]

OK, but is that why you'd consider doing it, or would you do it regardless?

The only way I would consider doing this is if it would help me have a better seed and road through the playoffs.  If it would screw up teams getting in the playoffs or not getting in the playoffs I wouldn't do it.

1181559[/snapback]

Now that's interesting. I'll have to get back to this after I sleep on it, and am sober. :D

This past weekend a guy on the cusp of the playoffs benched BOTH AJohnson and JLewis in favor of MMoore and Kevin Curtis.

There is no issue here. Lewis and Johnson didn't really do much until last week. Moore and Curtis aren't exactly stiffs either.

If you want to do that kind of thing, you might as well have a forfeit rule. Any team can forfeit at any time - no questions asked. Otherwise, you get into slippery slopes. Consider the possibilites concerning owner X tanking:

1) it improves X's playoff matchup and does not have an impact on another team reaching the playoffs

2) it improves X's playoff matchup and also has an impact on another team reaching the playoffs

3) it improves X's playoff matchup and gives X's best friend a better chance of making the playoffs

4) it improves X's playoff matchup and allows X's best friend into the playoffs

5) it may or may not improve X's playoff matchup and gives X's best friend a better chance of making the playoffs

6) it may or may not improve X's playoff matchup and allows X's best friend into the playoffs

7) it doesn't improve X's playoff matchup and allows X's best friend into the playoffs

Where/how do you draw the line?

Edited by Furd