[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

External Hard Drives

rajncajn

Bought this one last week. Got it so that next time we have a storm I won't have to worry about taking my pc to keep from losing all my personal files such as pics, music files etc. I went with the external hard drive so I could also run my Money program from my pc at work & not have to install the program or save my files on that pc.

Anybody have any suggestions for using it or comments on the one I got?

I don't understand the storm comment (Storm frying the 'puter?). I just got a UPS for that. I have a Maxtor EHD. Pretty much as a total BU. I do an incremental once a month or so. (that reminds me, I over due for that now!) I also save critical files periodically, directly to the EHD. Works great, but I don't run any progs on it. That's not a bad idea though, if you need something like that. Make sure you take the install cd w/ you when you take it to work the first time.

In the future, there is a better way to go about it.

The one you have only has a 1 year warranty. The good 2.5" drives have 3 or 5 year warranty. Not that you would need the warranty, but longer warranty drive is gonna take the bumps and bruises better.

If I had known, I would have suggested this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817146035

Tiny, aluminum, more importantly, USB or Firewire. Usb only for only $14.

Harddrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822153014

40GB, 5400, only 2MB cache since it is only a data drive.

In the end, you have much better equipment for a few dollars less.

i wouldn't want to be running any applications from an external, but for back up purposes only, they're great. Maybe configure yours for a raid (not 0) and if one internal HDD goes bad, insert a new one and it copies the content on it automatically. Cost more to have the raid , but worth it .

I have an external hard drive for my music, documents, etc. If/when my desktop ever seriously crashes and burns, I can wipe it. I haven't had to do it YET, but would if needed. Mine's been awesome; I've had it for 4 years or so without any issues.

My only advice would be not to keep it wedged under a desk, or between too many other devices. Newer drives that don't rely on fans tend to get warm. I've gone through a few at the office that are the aluminum case types from LaCie, WD & Maxtor. Most are 7200rpm and larger for video, but a couple older ones have been flakey.

I've removed three of the drives from the enclosers and put them in the workstation when they started acting wierd.

We learned that the case while being its own heat sink, still needs airflow to keep them cool. Overtime the drives tend to fail so make sure it breathes.

If you can swing it, its not a bad idea to get two and setup as a raid depending on what type of data your backing up to it.

I was just looking into buying an external case that you can put a HD into. You would be able to switch HD's in and out of this thing. I have a few old computers with some stuff on the HD's that I would like to access plus I actually have a pretty decent sized HD in one of those computers that I would like to use totally for backup.

Has anyone seen this thing that I am talking about? I don't know what they are called but I know that they exist.

We just got one at home. Rather than moving everything over to it, it's better to copy it all so that you have two copies. If you want to free up space on C drive, get a large internal as well as the external. That way, if either large internal or external go south, you don't lose the whole lot of files.

Bottom line - you need two copies of everything you don't want to lose, 'cos your HD will fail.

I don't understand the storm comment (Storm frying the 'puter?).  I just got a UPS for that.  I have a Maxtor EHD.  Pretty much as a total BU.  I do an incremental once a month or so. (that reminds me, I over due for that now!)  I also save critical files periodically, directly to the EHD.  Works great, but I don't run any progs on it.  That's not a bad idea though, if you need something like that.  Make sure you take the install cd w/ you when you take it to work the first time.

1269960[/snapback]

I imagine Rajn is referring to the total loss of his computer during Katrina, and in the future just being able to take the HD with him to keep his files intact...

:D

I imagine Rajn is referring to the total loss of his computer during Katrina, and in the future just being able to take the HD with him to keep his files intact...

1270158[/snapback]

Flood NOT lightning! :D Understand!

If you want it online.  :D

1270421[/snapback]

Just adding to the discussion. It is an alternative. For non secure items that take up a lot of space it may make sense to access from different locations. I don't have it but have used occassionally.

Sometime last year (or maybe the year before) I purchased a 300 gig external hard drive because I was bumping up against the top on my internal. I moved all my personal stuff from the internal to the external ... but I have never used it to move from one computer to the another.

Mine is a Maxtor.

Edited by Grits and Shins

In the future, there is a better way to go about it.

The one you have only has a 1 year warranty.  The good 2.5" drives have 3 or 5 year warranty.  Not that you would need the warranty, but  longer warranty drive is gonna take the bumps and bruises better.

If I had known, I would have suggested this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817146035

Tiny, aluminum, more importantly, USB or Firewire.  Usb only for only $14.

Harddrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822153014

40GB, 5400, only 2MB cache since it is only a data drive.

In the end, you have much better equipment for a few dollars less.

1270055[/snapback]

Maybe in the future H8. I'm sure at some point I will want to upgrade.

i wouldn't want to be running any applications from an external, but for back up purposes only, they're great.  Maybe configure yours for a raid (not 0) and if one internal HDD goes bad, insert a new one and it copies the content on it automatically. Cost more to have the raid , but worth it .

1270064[/snapback]

Any specific reasons for not running apps off it? I've already installed Microsoft Money on it & it doesn't seem to have any problems with it.

I don't understand the storm comment (Storm frying the 'puter?).  I just got a UPS for that.  I have a Maxtor EHD.  Pretty much as a total BU.  I do an incremental once a month or so. (that reminds me, I over due for that now!)  I also save critical files periodically, directly to the EHD.  Works great, but I don't run any progs on it.  That's not a bad idea though, if you need something like that.  Make sure you take the install cd w/ you when you take it to work the first time.

1269960[/snapback]

Storm as in Hurricane. :D The idea is to be able to just carry it with me. If I lose the pc at least I still have my info.

I have an external hard drive for my music, documents, etc.  If/when my desktop ever seriously crashes and burns, I can wipe it.  I haven't had to do it YET, but would if needed.  Mine's been awesome; I've had it for 4 years or so without any issues.

1270076[/snapback]

Just what I wanted to hear. Sounds great.

My only advice would be not to keep it wedged under a desk, or between too many other devices. Newer drives that don't rely on fans tend to get warm. I've gone through a few at the office that are the aluminum case types from LaCie, WD & Maxtor. Most are 7200rpm and larger for video, but a couple older ones have been flakey.

I've removed three of the drives from the enclosers and put them in the workstation when they started acting wierd.

We learned that the case while being its own heat sink, still needs airflow to keep them cool. Overtime the drives tend to fail so make sure it breathes.

If you can swing it, its not a bad idea to get two and setup as a raid depending on what type of data your backing up to it.

1270107[/snapback]

No worries there. This thing will likely go with me to & from work in my briefcase along with my tablet pc.

We just got one at home.  Rather than moving everything over to it, it's better to copy it all so that you have two copies.  If you want to free up space on C drive, get a large internal as well as the external.  That way, if either large internal or external go south, you don't lose the whole lot of files.

Bottom line - you need two copies of everything you don't want to lose, 'cos your HD will fail.

1270155[/snapback]

Definately plan on basically keeping a hard copy on the pc itself & backing it up with the external.

1270158[/snapback]

Exactly.

If you want it online.  :D

1270421[/snapback]