[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which Baseball Record is the Most Impressive?

whitem0nkey

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost went Ryan's no hitters but decided on Hank Aaron HR record. I think it's the most impressive considering the era he played in and presumably no juice involved.

Next Nolan Ryan

Then Pete Rose

Honorable Mention is DiMaggio's Hitting Streak.

Guest Cherni

They're all serious records, good job on the question it's very tough to decide.

Hank

Pete Rose

Rickey (no one will EVER come close to that one)

Honorable Mention is DiMaggio's Hitting Streak.

1436964[/snapback]

I agree about this one and think this might be the most impressive. Most of the options could include length of career as a way to get close to them, but the hitting streak is impressive as the next closest is 40 something? :D

:D I like the * next to Bonds but I think Henderson is definetely any player that can turn most singles into a double is vital for a team and I heard sometime this Spring that he still wants to come back gotta love a player with such a respect for the sport they acceled at. :D

Obviously Cy Young's is the only record which is impossible to break among the choices but that has more to do with the circumstances at the time and level of play during his era. i dont know if we will see anyone get 350+ wins again?

with five-man rotations, pitch count limits and bullpens by committee, the game is vastly different now. Young would have not won anywhere near 511 games had he started his career in 1980.

If you win 20 games for 25 years, you would still be 11 wins short of his record.

I also want to give a shoot out to Sam Crawford who had 309 triples in his career, i dont see anybody breaking this record.There isn't an active player with more than a hundred except for Steve Finley, and his carrer is almost over.

Guest Cherni
Obviously Cy Young's is the only record which is impossible to break among the choices but that has more to do with the circumstances at the time and level of play during his era. i dont know if we will see anyone get 350+ wins again?

with five-man rotations, pitch count limits and bullpens by committee, the game is vastly different now. Young would have not won anywhere near 511 games had he started his career in 1980.

If you win 20 games for 25 years, you would still be 11 wins short of his record.

I also want to give a shoot out to Sam Crawford who had 309 triples in his career, i dont see anybody breaking this record.There isn't an active player with more than a hundred except for Steve Finley, and his carrer is almost over.

1437033[/snapback]

Exactly with the rotation these days it's next to impossible. Ryan and Rickey have these records in the modern day MLB which is quite impressive, taking nothing away from all the record holders.

taking nothing away from all the record holders.

1437043[/snapback]

+1

but for just for discussion you can add a caveat to each of them.

Hank Aaron hit 755 home runs, but that is really only one or two seasons worth of home runs more than Ruth hit.

Pete Rose had 4,256 hits, but there are better measures for a ballplayer than hit total. His batting average was not all that great.

Rickey Henderson had 1,270 steals, but players that played in other eras were discouraged from running.

Barry Bonds is a cheater and a SOB.

Nolan Ryan's 7 career no-hitters were impressive, but his career ERA is not that great. He racked up a ton of strikeouts, but he also walked a ton of guys.

Guest Cherni
I think another record (besides Cy Young's) which will never be broken (and was also a product of the times) is the career mark held by former White Sox pitcher Ed Walsh for ERA - 1.816 (over close to 3,000 innings).

1437059[/snapback]

How about the weird record in that the Mets have NEVER thrown a no hitter. They've been around since 1962 and have had some serious arms. That always amazes me.

you had Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Ryan, Al Leiter and Mike Scott.

and then you have Bill Stoneman who pitched a no-hitter for the Montreal Expos only nine games into the franchise's existence :D

only three months into the Mets' existence, Sandy Koufax no-hit them for the first of his four career no-hitters.

Guest Cherni
you had Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Ryan, Al Leiter and Mike Scott.

and then you have Bill Stoneman who pitched a no-hitter for the Montreal Expos only nine games into the franchise's existence :D

only three months into the Mets' existence, Sandy Koufax no-hit them for the first of his four career no-hitters.

1437101[/snapback]

I know it's terrible and Shea is a pitcher friendly park. :D

Guest Cherni
is there a large amount of people in NY blaming the no-hit thing on "the Ryan curse"?

1437123[/snapback]

Ehh, not so much. We've had so many no hitters through 8, 8 1/3, we just can't seem to do it. I know it's going to be some jerkoff like Victor Zambrano or something, not a Pedro type pitcher. We'll see.

Dimaggio's streak is the most impressive to me. Aaron hold my utmost respect, but I think his total will be reached. Cy Young's wins, Pete Rose's hit total, and Ricky's steals will never be broken ... but every given day, every player has a chance to start a streak that within eight short weeks or so, would bring him immortality ... and, to date, every great hitter has failed. Even Rose only managed 44 and he was the closest in decades.

Way to go, Joe. :D

DiMaggio's hit streak is pretty impressive, IMO. Probably won't be broken any time soon.

Ripken's streak is impressive just because it was accomplished over so many seasons. His durability/persistance demands respect, even if his productivity did decline.

Of the records listed, I have to go with the no hitters by Nolan Ryan. Amazing, especially the ones he had later in his career. He may not have been as dominant over the course of an entire season as some others, given his ERA, walks, etc., but on those seven occasions, he was basically "unhittable." Most MLB pitchers come close (7 or 8 innings) to a no-hitter once or twice in their careers. A few actually accomplish the feat. Doing it that many times is incredible.

Cy Young's wins are from a totally different era, when pitchers played much more often. Although it's impressive, it's hard to compare to other more recent records.

Guest ksu70

AS with any comparison it is tough to compare different eras. BUT, I don't care how short a rotation was or how bad the teams were, 511 wins is awesome. You still have to go out to the mound and throw a bunch of pitches to the tune of 20 wins for almost 26 YEARS. How many of our members can do 26 pushups? I can do 27... :D

I had to go with Cy Young's - yeah, it's sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison; whitemonkey's question about 350+ again is missing the mark by about 50 - I doubt we'll see another 300 game winner if things stand as they are now. Henderson's SB record appears to be in a similar category - very few guys manage to even hit 40 SB anymore.

Rose and Aaron's records (and Ripken's, as well), while impressive, and with great respect to what those two did between the lines (well, total respect to the Hammer on and off the field; Charlie Hustle, not so much), those two #s are a result of just packing your lunch every day. Not that there's a darn thing wrong with that. Anyone realize that Aaron is 3rd on the all-time hits list? I swear, the guy somehow manages to be underrated.

The 7 no-hitters are eye-popping; but to me, a no-hitter takes a lot of luck as much as great pitching. It's catching lightning in a bottle, really. Obviously to do it 7 times certainly means Ryan was a cut above most pitchers.

Bonds would have been more impressive if McGwire hadn't shattered the existing HR record by 9 a few years previous. Not to mention Sosa was truckin' along with over 60 HRs for about 4 straight years himself. Barry was a few years late to the party.

DiMaggio's is probably the one that will get the most play - it's the "easiest" for any random player to have a great year and break, has stood for the longest of the single-season type hitting records, and has the name of an all-time baseball hero attached to it. I think anytime someone's streak gets above 20, the pressure starts to mount, though - and that makes it tough on all but the most mentally focused individuals.

I agree about this one and think this might be the most impressive. Most of the options could include length of career as a way to get close to them, but the hitting streak is impressive as the next closest is 40 something?  :D

1437011[/snapback]

+1. Every hitter has tried, all have failed, none has come close.

Guest Cherni
+1.  Every hitter has tried, all have failed, none has come close.

1437691[/snapback]

I'd have to disagree with this. Jimmy Rollins recently went 38 consecutive games, Luis Castillo went 35, Paul Molitor had 39. I know they all fell short but someone will break this record. I believe his name will be Albert Pujols who in 2003 had a 30 game streak in his 3rd, yes 3rd year in the league.