[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ben Wallace to the Bulls

CaptainHook

Paxson's the man. My favorite player of all time. :D He's doing a pretty nice job as GM. Far better than his older brother did in Cleveland (KevinL could attest to that).

You're right, Deng has had some nice games... whether he can do that in stretches remains to be seen.

Where are you getting this info on Deng being the 2nd best recruit in the LeBron class? I know he was a top recruit (hence the signing at Duke) but didn't know he was THAT highly-touted. :D (Edit: Just read up on Deng on Wikipedia... guess he was thought to be - by some - to be the best senior coming out of HS that year)

With Gordon and Hinrich commanding the ball, the emergence of Nocioni and addition of Wallace, who's supposedly going to be integrated into the offense more... I just don't see how Deng will be any more than a 10-12 point a night guy, with nice rebounding totals for a swingman and good steal numbers.

I'll try to find a link about Deng's ranking; I've heard it numerous times on ESPN.

Did you hear Paxson's older brother joined the Bulls as a consultant?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First i wish the best of luck to Tyson Chandler. he is a great person and a hard worker. and I hope he will become the player he was suppose to be.

I think the bulls will be 54-28 games next year. I would like to think they could win more but they play in the hardest division IMO, it was the only division last year that had all five teams made the playoffs. but you can also ,make a case for the pacific.

pg- Hinrich, Duhon, Gordon*

sg- Gordon*, Thabo, JR Smith

sf- Noccioni, Deng, Khyrapa

pf- PJ Brown*, TThomas, Sweetney

c- B.Wallace, M.Allen, Brown*, Scheshner *means they will play both

:D:D:D:D:D I so exited!

this last playoff the bulls left 2 games on the table in the heat series, this will crush the heat like Stalin crush Ukraine.

last year the bulls lost all 4 games to Detroit only 1 was close, this should be a swing of 3-1 next year in bulls favor.

I just don't see how Deng will be any more than a 10-12 point a night guy, with nice rebounding totals for a swingman and good steal numbers.

I dont know how much time he will have, but the bulls had one of the best productions from the bench. I think scott skiles will do a nice job keeping this team fresh, and spread out them minutes more most teams in the NBA would.

I'll try to find a link about Deng's ranking; I've heard it numerous times on ESPN.

Did you hear Paxson's older brother joined the Bulls as a consultant?

No, actually I didn't. That's great. Hope he doesn't screw things up! :D

Found the stuff about Deng; more impressive than I thought:

Link

Scroll down all the way to the Deng section.

Huh. Didn't know that. He's still real young, and still GROWING apparently :D

First i wish the best of luck to Tyson Chandler. he is a great person and a hard worker. and I hope he will become the player he was suppose to be.

I think the bulls will be 54-28 games next year. I would like to think they could win more but they play in the hardest division IMO, it was the only division last year that had all five teams made the playoffs. but you can also ,make a case for the pacific.

this last playoff the bulls left 2 games on the table in the heat series, this will crush the heat like Stalin crush Ukraine.

last year the bulls lost all 4 games to Detroit only 1 was close, this should be a swing of 3-1 next year in bulls favor.

That's a more than decent lineup that will cause plenty of problems in the East.

First off, I do not see Chicago better than Detroit. They have no answer for Billips, and unless Gordon becomes Michael Jordan will have a hard time scoring with the big boys. Who is going to guard Sheed, Ben, that will be a joke, as Sheed will drive right past him if he comes to the perimeter. Sorry, the rook will be schooled by Sheed if he comes out there. Then there is Prince, who is becoming an offensive force and is a mismatch for almost every team. Add Rip Hamilton to the mix and Detroit is still lethal, and Nazr will be a competent C in the east taking over for Wallace.

Second, Deng is a 6/9 SF who is a 26% 3 pt shooter, he is nothing like SG JR Smith. That analogy is like saying Harold Miner is the next Jordan, rediculous.

Finally, Ben is on the down side of his career, and is a FT liablity at the end of games. The NBA is moving away from defensive big men, who can do little else, as the rules allow guards to penetrate without hand checks on the perimeter giving them a head start to the basket on a big man as trying to become a help defender. If you dont have to account for Ben on the floor offensively, you can double Gordon or Hinrich and force them to make Deng or Nico make shots, which certainly isnt ideal. Having Garnett would give this team the inside out game they desperately need to free up shooters like Hinrich and Gordon, as teams have to respect Garnett in the paint. Garnetts passing ability alone would improve the games of open shooters like Hinrich or Gordon.

I see Washington, Cleveland, Detroit and Miami better than Chicago right now, and Cleveland and Washington are only going to get better, while Detroit continues to dominate. I also wouldnt be surprised if Indiana doesnt return to the elite of the East.

I do see Chicaco winning 48 games, but that is the best case scenerio, losing in the first or 2nd round for years to come.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

First off, I do not see Chicago better than Detroit......

last year the bulls were the best for FG% which is the best measurement for a defense, and now add that team with the new wave of players. that makes a great defense. you will see a few box score this year that the bulls will hold teams to 65 points. :D the bulls will look similar to the Pisstons that’s won with Ben except there guards are more of a slashing bunch unlike the piston being a shooting bunch.

Finally, Ben is on the down side of his career, and is a FT liability at the end of games.

Ben will have 2 solid years and who knows about the last 2. and for the FT liability, they can bench him and play PJ brown instead, and they have a few others that can play in final game situations to avoid that while not losing size.

Having Garnett would give this team the inside out game they desperately need to free up shooters like Hinrich and Gordon, as teams have to respect Garnett in the paint. Garnetts passing ability alone would improve the games of open shooters like Hinrich or Gordon.

that wont work, if they would pursue Garnett they would have to win the whole thing next year. they would give up too much. and they would not be able to resign the young talent that they have.

I see Washington, Cleveland, Detroit and Miami better than Chicago right now, and Cleveland and Washington are only going to get better, while Detroit continues to dominate. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Indiana doesn’t return to the elite of the East.

in the east i see

1. heat

2. Bulls

3. Cleveland

4. New Jersey

5. Washington /Detroit

I do see Chicaco winning 48 games, but that is the best case scenerio, losing in the first or 2nd round for years to come.

:D

:D Bulls are back! :D

You got alot to learn about basketball. The Bulls have a nice defense, but Chandler was apart of that, he is gone and Ben fills in, but is an undersized C. Gordon and Hinrich slashing Gs, what do you think Price and Hamilton are. Excuse me Prince is a slashing SF, who is unguardable by any bull. The Pistons easily win 3 of 4 from Chicago if not all 4 again next yr.

And who says the Bulls couldnt have kep Hinrich and Gordon, if they got Garnett.

Dallas has Dirk maxed out, Dampier is making 60 mil, which is the same as Ben, Terry just signed a 50 mil deal and Howard is going to be close to a max player, and Marquis Daniels signed a 40 mil deal last yr, while Van Horn was a 15 mil a yr player.

SO what you pay a luxury tax a couple years and actually compete for a title, rather than build around an aging, undersized C, who can't shoot, and can be left alone offensively, so your opponents defense can swing a help defender to your best offesnive player every time down the floor. What made Ben work so well in Detroit is they had 4 other shooters, while in Chicago they have what Gordon, and maybe Hinrich on a good night. Hardly comparable.

This team could easily resign their players, as Chandlers millions along with not having to pay Deng and Tyrus would easily match Garnett. Now they have Ben instead of Chandler, and have to pay Tyrus down the road along wtih Deng, while Garnett is already signed long term. Besides since when is Hinrich, Gordon, or Nico going to break anyones bank.

Like I said you have alot to learn about the NBA, like your team is going to be better because Of Tyrus, and not so much because of Ben. Is Tyrus better than Garnett, hell no.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Second, Deng is a 6/9 SF who is a 26% 3 pt shooter, he is nothing like SG JR Smith. That analogy is like saying Harold Miner is the next Jordan, rediculous.

Finally, Ben is on the down side of his career, and is a FT liablity at the end of games. The NBA is moving away from defensive big men, who can do little else, as the rules allow guards to penetrate without hand checks on the perimeter giving them a head start to the basket on a big man as trying to become a help defender. If you dont have to account for Ben on the floor offensively, you can double Gordon or Hinrich and force them to make Deng or Nico make shots, which certainly isnt ideal. Having Garnett would give this team the inside out game they desperately need to free up shooters like Hinrich and Gordon, as teams have to respect Garnett in the paint. Garnetts passing ability alone would improve the games of open shooters like Hinrich or Gordon.

I see Washington, Cleveland, Detroit and Miami better than Chicago right now, and Cleveland and Washington are only going to get better, while Detroit continues to dominate. I also wouldnt be surprised if Indiana doesnt return to the elite of the East.

Smith is young and has some upside. Problem is, he's somewhat similar to Deng as swingman.
I said they play a similar position. Thanks for the stats, though.

2. Agree w/ facts on Wallace and Garnett, 100%.

3. I think Miami and Detroit are better than the Bulls right now. Come mid-season next year, that may change. Cleveland and Washington will be up-and-comers but I think are below the Bulls.

4. I think the Bulls will win just around 50 and will get to the 2nd round. For years to come, though, I don't know about that... I think that if the nucleus remains, they can be very good.

First off, I do not see Chicago better than Detroit. They have no answer for Billips, and unless Gordon becomes Michael Jordan will have a hard time scoring with the big boys. Who is going to guard Sheed, Ben, that will be a joke, as Sheed will drive right past him if he comes to the perimeter. Sorry, the rook will be schooled by Sheed if he comes out there. Then there is Prince, who is becoming an offensive force and is a mismatch for almost every team. Add Rip Hamilton to the mix and Detroit is still lethal, and Nazr will be a competent C in the east taking over for Wallace.

You make many valid points Sarge. I don't think anyone can hand this Bulls team the Eastern Conferece crown just yet. I see Miami being better by default because of what they accomplished this year. That said, I still think Shaq is aging and is on the downhill of his career. Detroit is probably better, although I think you underestimate how much Ben Wallace ment to that team. What he did fueled that team offensively. It's a great feeling to know that if you miss a shot, there will be someone to go up and grab that rebound for you. The Bulls have that now. The Bulls are a defensive wall and although I am not ready to say they are outright better than the Pistons, they will for sure compete at the highest level with them.

I agree the NBA game is becoming more perimeter oriented but you're telling me you don't need a defensive big man? What is Shaq then or Dampier? Obviously both those teams depend on their perimeter game and what their guards can do but the middle is definitely important. Ben Gordon is not a great defender and to know that Ben Wallace has his back in the middle is a great and wonderful thing. I think Wallace has two more than solid years left in him. This guy keeps himself in great shape and has a great work ethic. He doesn't back down from a challenge and won't back down from anyone in general. I think Hinrich is what he is and Gordon's game will become more consistent. This guy is a scorer and will sooner or later figure out how to carry his play from game to game. The young core for the most part will continue to improve. The East as a whole is getting older and the Bulls collectively are the youngest team. This team will win a playoff series this year and after that who knows what will happen. Maybe not next year, but they will represent the East one of these years soon to come.

Well put Sarge

I never said Chicago sucked, Im just not drinking the Kool-Aid they are now a Finals Contender or Championship squad like the media and some here are saying.

you did say "but that is the best case scenerio, losing in the first or 2nd round for years to come."

and its OK to disagree, but no need to insult people about there basketball knowledge. also you misspelled scenario.

you may not see them 2nd in the east like i do, but i dont believe that they are below the 4th or 5th best team in the east.

and since you know a lot more than me in basketball, what kind of trade can the bulls do to get Garnett?

you did say "but that is the best case scenerio, losing in the first or 2nd round for years to come."

and its OK to disagree, but no need to insult people about there basketball knowledge. also you misspelled scenario.

you may not see them 2nd in the east like i do, but i dont believe that they are below the 4th or 5th best team in the east.

and since you know a lot more than me in basketball, what kind of trade can the bulls do to get Garnett?

I think Chicago is in the argument of the top 4 teams in the East, as Miami, Detroit and Cleveland I have ranked higher than them. New Jersey and Washington are also in the mix for the top 4 spots and home court in the 1st round of the East playoffs.

With the new format in the NBA, Chicago will have to get past NJ, Cleveland or Wash in round 1, then Detroit or Miami in round 2, and then the other to make the finals. I dont see Chicago good enough to win 2 series to get to round 3, the Eastern Conference Finals anytime soon. Shaq is a shell of his former self, but that team has Wade, like Cleveland Lebron, NJ Vince, R Jeff, and finally Wash G Arenas. Those players can take over games. Chicago has to play team basketball, and they dont have the shooters to light it up, with no one having to account for Ben or PJ Brown on the floor. Even Tyrus is an offensive liability. Chicago is going to have to get the majority of thier points shooting outside shots, and they are not a good enough shooting team to make a living out there for a 7 games series, let alone 2 or 3 of those in my opinion.

Chandlers contract had to be apart of it, since Garnett is making so much, unless they are willing to deal Brown and JR Smith both as well. Deng and Tyrus are both under rookie or soon to be rookie contracts, so they dont equal 10% of the difference of Garnetts deal, Hell those 2 combined dont equal 50% of his deal. So in order to get Garnett now, Chicago will have to give up Brown, Tyrus, JR Smith, Deng and probably a bench player making some decent jack. Minny will want Browns expiring contract, and will build around Tyrus, Deng and JR Smith, and will likely be a top lottery pick if they did this deal, allowing them to also get one of the top big men coming out next season. Question is, does Minny want to blow it up, and rebuild, yet.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I think Chicago is in the argument of the top 4 teams in the East, as Miami, Detroit and Cleveland I have ranked higher than them. New Jersey and Washington are also in the mix for the top 4 spots and home court in the 1st round of the East playoffs.

Chandlers contract had to be apart of it, since Garnett is making so much, unless they are willing to deal Brown and JR Smith both as well. Deng and Tyrus are both under rookie or soon to be rookie contracts, so they dont equal 10% of the difference of Garnetts deal, Hell those 2 combined dont equal 50% of his deal. So in order to get Garnett now, Chicago will have to give up Brown, Tyrus, JR Smith, Deng and probably a bench player making some decent jack. Minny will want Browns expiring contract, and will build around Tyrus, Deng and JR Smith, and will likely be a top lottery pick if they did this deal, allowing them to also get one of the top big men coming out next season. Question is, does Minny want to blow it up, and rebuild, yet.

The Bulls are better not making that deal and I see them as the #2 seed in the playoffs. I do have some knowledge in the basketball arena! There defense will be second to none and defense still wins championships in the NBA.

The Bulls are better not making that deal and I see them as the #2 seed in the playoffs. I do have some knowledge in the basketball arena! There defense will be second to none and defense still wins championships in the NBA.

Im sorry, but how is this defense going to be second to none. Other than Wallace and Deng who on this team defends worth a crap now. Chandler was a force inside because of his ability to change shot selections, and his length helped him recover around the basket. Deng is solid no doubt, Nico is aabove average, but Gordon is a weak defender, and didnt play big minutes as a result. He is starting now, which will be a liabilty defensively. JR Smith and PJ Brown are not good defenders. Chicago brings in Wallace who is a great help defender, but is undersized at C. Wallace was good no doubt, but Billups ability to guard on the perimeter, and Price to take away the teams best slasher, and Sheed was a great defender as well, allowed Wallace to mop up rebounds and he was probably over rated. In Chicago, Ben will have no help defending the perimeter, which was key to his success in Detroit. Im sorry, but I dont see this team better defensively than Miami, Detroit, or San Antonio.

Im sorry, but how is this defense going to be second to none. Other than Wallace and Deng who on this team defends worth a crap now. Chandler was a force inside because of his ability to change shot selections, and his length helped him recover around the basket. Deng is solid no doubt, Nico is aabove average, but Gordon is a weak defender, and didnt play big minutes as a result. He is starting now, which will be a liabilty defensively. JR Smith and PJ Brown are not good defenders. Chicago brings in Wallace who is a great help defender, but is undersized at C. Wallace was good no doubt, but Billups ability to guard on the perimeter, and Price to take away the teams best slasher, and Sheed was a great defender as well, allowed Wallace to mop up rebounds and he was probably over rated. In Chicago, Ben will have no help defending the perimeter, which was key to his success in Detroit. Im sorry, but I dont see this team better defensively than Miami, Detroit, or San Antonio.

The Bulls of last season held opponents to 42.6% shooting and trust me that wasnt all Chandlers doing. Lets be honest the guy was a bum pure and simple! So this season they add Wallace who you can not argue is a worse defender than Chandler was. In addition to him they get PJ who honestly I dont think will be staying long as Paxon isnt done yet IMO. To me the key to them being an even better defensive team is the rookie. Tyrus Thomas wont be an all defensive team type guy his first season as the game speeds up quite a bit when you make the jump. However rookie of the year is a real probability. His ability to alter shots from all over the court will be the difference maker for this young and athletic Bulls team and yes I do think they will be better defensively than the Heat or the Pistons.

It will be a while before we find out whos right but time will tell!

I cant agree more here, I think Ben got a ton of individual credit, when IMO it was team defense.

All this talk about the Bulls D...I'd worry about their O a lot more. Its still a streaky jump shooting team, just like it was last year, and that's the reason they won't contend in the East. As Sarge said, they don't have a dominant offensive player, and that's what will hurt them come playoff time.

The Bulls of last season held opponents to 42.6% shooting and trust me that wasnt all Chandlers doing. Lets be honest the guy was a bum pure and simple! So this season they add Wallace who you can not argue is a worse defender than Chandler was. In addition to him they get PJ who honestly I dont think will be staying long as Paxon isnt done yet IMO. To me the key to them being an even better defensive team is the rookie. Tyrus Thomas wont be an all defensive team type guy his first season as the game speeds up quite a bit when you make the jump. However rookie of the year is a real probability. His ability to alter shots from all over the court will be the difference maker for this young and athletic Bulls team and yes I do think they will be better defensively than the Heat or the Pistons.

It will be a while before we find out whos right but time will tell!

Tyrus has no chance to be ROY, no chance. First of all that honor will go to the Portland SG, who is the next Ray Allen. Second, when is the last time a defensive player, with raw offensive skills has won the award. Tyrus has a chance to be the next Ben Wallace, I will give you that. But you put him and Wallace on the floor together, and this teams offense stalls. And since when has young and athletic won anything in the NBA. We will know the answer to all of these questions very soon, and I think you will be very disappointed. Unless Chicago gets another shooter, and an inside presence who can force teams to leave Gordon and Hinrich wide open, this team will be solid defensively, and still lose games 85-80.

Again, I'm not saying this team is the best in the East, but you people are acting like they haven't improved at all. Kirk Hinrich did an AMAZING job guarding the other team's best perimter player game after game. That's why they drafted Thabo. This guy people are saying could become the best perimeter defender in the league in a year or two. He is obviously somewhat raw, but so is everyone else in every draft it seems like. This takes pressure off of Hinrich. Viktor Khryapa is suppose to be a guy who can guard some big guards as well.

You could argue that this team was playing some of the best team ball in the NBA at the end of the season. No team was as selfless as the Chicago Bulls. To say that their amazing defense last year isn't gonna get better by adding the four time Defensive Player of the Year is insane.

And I agree: there is no way Tyrus Thomas wins rookie of the year. That said, his scouting report looks awfully similar to a guy named Amare Stoudemire; an undersized 4 who can defend but has limited offensive skills.

Again, I'm not saying this team is the best in the East, but you people are acting like they haven't improved at all. Kirk Hinrich did an AMAZING job guarding the other team's best perimter player game after game. That's why they drafted Thabo. This guy people are saying could become the best perimeter defender in the league in a year or two. He is obviously somewhat raw, but so is everyone else in every draft it seems like. This takes pressure off of Hinrich. Viktor Khryapa is suppose to be a guy who can guard some big guards as well.

You could argue that this team was playing some of the best team ball in the NBA at the end of the season. No team was as selfless as the Chicago Bulls. To say that their amazing defense last year isn't gonna get better by adding the four time Defensive Player of the Year is insane.

And I agree: there is no way Tyrus Thomas wins rookie of the year. That said, his scouting report looks awfully similar to a guy named Amare Stoudemire; an undersized 4 who can defend but has limited offensive skills.

Amare - limited offensive skills. WOW....

carry on...

Hey, don't take it from me. Take it from the scouting reports:

Link

Well done Goopster Well done!

I hope you are able to enjoy watching Thomas play up there for years to come. He WILL be fun to watch. We here in LSU country miss him already. I'm from Chicago and was able to watch all the great championship runs and I really believe you are on the verge of seeing another such run!