[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let the Guessing Games Begin

jaxfactor

John Pelphrey from South Alabama will certainly be a candidate. Most schools like to have former players come back to coach if they have been successful at another school especially one who is a member of the Kentucky Hall of Fame.

Forgot about him. I will go out on a limb and say he has the upper hand.

Everyone up in WA state is scared about losing Romar, Bennet, or Few.

Romar ain't goin anywhere- Maybe Few- and as good as Bennett is- Kentucky is too big of a leap at this point in his career- The thing is, as good as a job as Kentucky is, I bet alot of coaches don't want the unrealistic expectations that go along with KU.

Actually, all the rumors about Few earlier this season were him going to Oregon to replace Ernie Kent. The new athletic director (who is not a professional, but a hugh booster) has a relationship with Few, and is at odds with Kent.

So, how about Ernie Kent in Lexington?

Actually, all the rumors about Few earlier this season were him going to Oregon to replace Ernie Kent. The new athletic director (who is not a professional, but a hugh booster) has a relationship with Few, and is at odds with Kent.

So, how about Ernie Kent in Lexington?

That's a backwards move. If Barnhart doesn't hit a home run with this hire (ie Donovan) he will get run out of town. I'm worried sick that we will end up with a coach that is substantially worse than Tubby (ie Tom Crean, who has exactly ZERO NCAA tourney games without Dwyane Wade.) Making matters worse is the wild speculation about Billy the Kid, which will make any other hire a dissappointment. Forget 3.5 million, UK needs to go ahead and offer 4.5 and then let the chips fall where they may. The UK Boosters would gladly pay and extra thousand apiece for their season tickets next year if it meant Donovan on the bench.

That's a backwards move. If Barnhart doesn't hit a home run with this hire (ie Donovan) he will get run out of town. I'm worried sick that we will end up with a coach that is substantially worse than Tubby (ie Tom Crean, who has exactly ZERO NCAA tourney games without Dwyane Wade.) Making matters worse is the wild speculation about Billy the Kid, which will make any other hire a dissappointment. Forget 3.5 million, UK needs to go ahead and offer 4.5 and then let the chips fall where they may. The UK Boosters would gladly pay and extra thousand apiece for their season tickets next year if it meant Donovan on the bench.

Open up the wallet as much as you want, UK. Billy stays at UF. UF boosters have deep pockets also and Billy's family loves it there. Plus the fact that I don't think Billy would go to UK having to play against UF twice each season. What's it gonna look like when you offer BD 4.5 mil and he turns you down only to offer the next in line only 2 mil? He's already a legend at UF. Why ruin a good thing? I don't see BD leaving UF for another college team. Maybe the NBA eventually, but not UK. Good luck in your search for a second rate coach.

Why would Donovan leave Florida for Kentucky? How would that not be a backwards move for Donovan

Why would Donovan leave Florida for Kentucky? How would that not be a backwards move for Donovan

+1 UK is preparing to open up the checkbook but I don't think $ would be the reason for BD to leave.

Open up the wallet as much as you want, UK. Billy stays at UF. UF boosters have deep pockets also and Billy's family loves it there. Plus the fact that I don't think Billy would go to UK having to play against UF twice each season. What's it gonna look like when you offer BD 4.5 mil and he turns you down only to offer the next in line only 2 mil? He's already a legend at UF. Why ruin a good thing? I don't see BD leaving UF for another college team. Maybe the NBA eventually, but not UK. Good luck in your search for a second rate coach.

The same boosters than don't show up for home basketball games? I could argue this with you until I am blue in the face, the fact is, nobody knows what Billy is going to do except Billy...and frankly he may not even know. It's easy for FLA fans to say "we'll match whatever UK offers" but the fact is it isn't going to be that easy for Foley to pay 3.5-4 mil to the coach of a basketball team that has trouble putting 12,000 in the seats every game.

This will come down to one factor - Donovan's comfort level. He can stay where his program is overshadowed by Fla Football, FSU Football, the Tampa Bay Lightning, Buccaneers, Magic, Jaguars, etc...or he can come coach at a school that will make the undisputed king of a whole state. I still say its 50/50 as to whether he comes. He could have squashed it all by now but has chosen not to. If Foley is as loyal as he says he is, then Donovan does not need our offer for leverage.

I can see discussing college Basketball on an NFL board is a dumb idea. There is no comparison between the two jobs, ask Jay Bilas, Duke grad, who calls UK the best job in the country.

I can see discussing college Basketball on an NFL board is a dumb idea. There is no comparison between the two jobs, ask Jay Bilas, Duke grad, who calls UK the best job in the country.

So who the f'k cares about Jay Bilas? Just one man's opinion. And being overshadowed by Tampa Bay Lightning hockey? C'mon now, we're reaching just a little here, unless you are using sarcasm. We shall see what happens but I think the bottom line here is comfort level. And BD is very comfortable here at UF as is his family. And BD has accomplished a major feat at UF in taking a program, which I do agree is 2nd fiddle to football, and bringing it to national prominance. What is there to accomplish at UK, a program that throws money at their basketball program like tourists at a poker table.

Then why did the last coach leave for the University of Minnesota? :D

So who the f'k cares about Jay Bilas? Just one man's opinion. And being overshadowed by Tampa Bay Lightning hockey? C'mon now, we're reaching just a little here, unless you are using sarcasm. We shall see what happens but I think the bottom line here is comfort level. And BD is very comfortable here at UF as is his family. And BD has accomplished a major feat at UF in taking a program, which I do agree is 2nd fiddle to football, and bringing it to national prominance. What is there to accomplish at UK, a program that throws money at their basketball program like tourists at a poker table.

Avg. Lightning attendance > 20,000, avg Gator BBall attendance < 12,000. That's easy math to me chief.

Avg. Lightning attendance > 20,000, avg Gator BBall attendance < 12,000. That's easy math to me chief.

You got me there, although I doubt the O'Connel Center in Gainesville holds much more than 12,000. At least we both agree on the comfort level thing. We shall see after they crown UF national champs again Monday night. :D

Billy D will not leave even for 5.5 mil, Florida will pay 4mil. but IF he wins monday in Florida they will name the home court after him. In kentucky it will be expected every year. Why put yourself through that. Trust me if he stays at Florida he will have no problem recruiting.

You got me there, although I doubt the O'Connel Center in Gainesville holds much more than 12,000. At least we both agree on the comfort level thing. We shall see after they crown UF national champs again Monday night. :D

Dead on jax. If Billy enjoys the comfort and relatively pressure free style in Gainesville (remember, this guy didnt get out of the first weekend for 5 straight years despite being loaded with All Americans, and he wasnt getting any pressure) he stays. If he wants to take on an entirely different beast, he leaves. I'm rooting for the Gators on Monday night since they are an SEC team, and I love the ESPN talking heads having no ACC team to talk about.

In regards to the "then why did your coach leave for Minnesota" remark....Tubby would have been fired barring a final four run next year anyway..I think he took the high road and moved on to save Mitch from having to remove him.