[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone here fly to London?

Vicky

So we may be going to London for a week in the fall. Any suggestions for a good airline? We'd like to fly at least Business class, but don't want to spend a fortune at the same time. I've looked at both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, and it seems that Virgin will cost us a bit less than BA. We'd probably be flying out of either BWI or Dullas. Any personal experiences with either airline? Or another airline altogether?

A co-worker just came back, flew Northworst and said it was pretty good, decent service, etc... But we know what we get with NW but maybe their int'l flights are better.

He said the Int'l airlines like BA and Luthenasia (sp?) are probably better but pricier as I think you stated.

If I see this one guy I'll ask him, he flies across the pond monthly.

Thanks, Jay! After some more asking around, I think I've decided that Business Class isn't necessary and we can go with something like Economy Plus that looks to be comparable to a domestic carrier's version of First Class these days. We don't want to be squished in like rats on an 8 hour flight, but we also don't want or need crazy stuff like beds either.

SO, we may be taking BA up on an offer for two free nights hotel stay and go with their Economy Plus service. But opinions and experiences are still more than welcome. :D

What would your answer be if somebody said to you: "You are going to be required to sit in a chair for the next 8 hours (although you can get up and walk around mostly whenever you want). We are going to put you into a reasonably nice comfy recliner for you to sit in for the next 8 hours. Alternatively, we will pay you $3000 to sit in this smaller chair for the same 8 hours. Which option do you want?"

(I did a quick check on travelocity and $3000 is the difference between business class to London from Baltimore and economy class.)

You have got to have a pretty sensitive ass if you think it is worth $3000 for 16 hours of slightly better comfort.

As for the airlines themselves, I fly to Europe usually once or twice a year and the airlines are all basically the same. (Although some, like Northwest, still serve free alcohol in economy class, while others, like Delta, do not.) You should also check to see which airlines offer in-seat entertainment options (so that you can choose from a variety of movies to watch from instead of being forced to watch whatever they are showing to everybody). Again, it is your own preference as to whether or not it is worth it to choose an airline with a higher fare just to get these extra benefits.

Edited by wiegie

Yeah, that's why I started looking into the Economy Plus stuff. It seems to be very similar to say a USAir domestic flight in First Class as far as seat and leg room go, and it looks to be only a couple hundred more than regular economy. I can live with that. Who needs a bed on a plane when you can stay up and drink? :D

Thanks, Jay! After some more asking around, I think I've decided that Business Class isn't necessary and we can go with something like Economy Plus that looks to be comparable to a domestic carrier's version of First Class these days. We don't want to be squished in like rats on an 8 hour flight, but we also don't want or need crazy stuff like beds either.

SO, we may be taking BA up on an offer for two free nights hotel stay and go with their Economy Plus service. But opinions and experiences are still more than welcome. :D

We travel to the UK 1-2 per year (we have lots of family in Wales...parents came to US when I was 2 years old), every year, and ALWAYS fly BA...though we do so, in part, because we like to have our frequent-flier points in one place (and we get free upgrades often since we have flown them for years)

That being said, their Economy Plus service is :D, but your best bet is to try to get Business Class if the fare isn't outrageously more...its awesome, and for the length of time you are in the air, it makes the world of difference to have the extra leg-room and upgraded service-levels.

US Airways offers solid service on their intercontinental flights, too, but you may need to get to Philly to get on one of their new Boeings (non-stop to Heathrow).

Have fun!

Unfortunately, their Business Class looks to be roughly twice the price of Economy Plus. That's a HUGE difference. We could always try to beg for an upgrade when we get there, but being newbies to their airline, that's pretty unlikely to happen. :D

I've seen many recent travel deals from the major airlines regarding spring travel to Europe and more specifically, London. Most deals originate from NY, but Bmore or DC may have similar ones. I primarily travel out of NY for international travel (there are more options). You may want to consider travel from JFK given these two deals:

1) Delta - offering a sale in BuisnessElite class thru May 24 for fares from JFK to London Gatwick for $979 each way. Don't know what your budget is, but I can't imagine a RT ticket in BC for under $2k.

2) American - offering a promotion where if you purchase/fly business class roundtrip from JFK-London, you then receive vouchers for three free flights anywhere in the US (including Hawaii). So even if you have to pony up for business class, those three free additional flights could come in handy.

Let me know if you are interested or want additional details on how to find these.

stick with atleast biz class on those long flights. that economy plus crap is bs. you get an extra inch or 2. we flew united biz class across the pond for our honeymoon. was top notch. i would assume any carriers biz class would be fine.

it will be pricey over there too.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?...&submit=Convert

Edited by dmarc117

• 12 years later...