[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The next Ice Age

McBoog

Just quit arguing with the global warming cult, you can't win. They will continue to espouse change; "we need to stop using coal and petrol fired power plants and use wind turbines, but you can't put the wind turbines anywhere near my house or in a location where they might potentially kill an endangered bird that flies into them" "We must all drive hybrid cars and research alternative fuels, though we should not clear more farm land to plant bio-fuel plants and should not put polluting pesticides on said plants. Also, we should ignore the extreme environmental impact that the manufacturing of batteries for hybrids has and the disposal of these electric batteries in these cars will not have a negligible impact at all, so we should continue the strip mining for the components in these batteries because it is easier on the environment. We should also stop eating meat and wearing leather products because the CO2 emissions from live stock flatulence is causing global warming. Rather we should make all of our footwear and clothing from hemp because hemp has a samller foot print for tonnage of fabric, paper and tampons that can be produced. While were at it, we need to feed all of the hungry in Africa because we opressed them. We need to give them billions of dollars and teach them to become a modern economy, but no polluting manufacturing is allowed because we already have too many pollutants going into the air. Though what we should do is cut down on our pollution and allocate the same tonnage of CO2 production over to Africa so that they can build better lives for themselves so that they can afford their average household size of 17.2. But we here in the modern world should not procreate because we pollute on a level that is unparalleled by developing nations, not just that but there are already too many people on the earth. Also, we should take note from the African tribes and live in dung houses, that would decrease deforestation, but they would have to be small dung houses because we need to cut back on livestock who release the CO2 via their flatulence, remember the flatulence. Also, only wealthy liberal representatives from the UN and the occasional ex-VP of the US should be allowed to fly on Jumbo Jets so that they can meet in far off lands and talk about ways that we can further reduce the use of fossil fuels and clean up the environment. BTW, none of this applies to China, they can do what ever they want, what with their pollution and the killing of newborn daughters and the absolute disdain for individual rights and freedom of speech. AMEN."

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This world is not my home. It's just a temporary stop. I am not "skeptical" about that at all. I enjoy recyclers. I expect to be recycled myself some day. I have already made plans for some of my ashes to be loaded into shotgun shells so my boys can take me turkey hunting one more time. "Gett'em Dad!"

:wacko:

In the mean while I will attempt to be as good a person as my dogs think I am. :D

I couldnt have said it better myself.

P.S. Thanks for correcting my twice misspelled Skeptic. =)

Edited by DemonKnight

Just quit arguing with the global warming cult, you can't win. They will continue to espouse change; "we need to stop using coal and petrol fired power plants and use wind turbines, but you can't put the wind turbines anywhere near my house or in a location where they might potentially kill an endangered bird that flies into them"

I dont think those turbines spin anywhere near fast enough to kill a bird and I have never heard anyone use that argument. I did, however, lose a ton of respect toward the Kennedys when they blocked the wind farm off of cape cod or wherever.

"We must all drive hybrid cars and research alternative fuels, though we should not clear more farm land to plant bio-fuel plants and should not put polluting pesticides on said plants. Also, we should ignore the extreme environmental impact that the manufacturing of batteries for hybrids has and the disposal of these electric batteries in these cars will not have a negligible impact at all, so we should continue the strip mining for the components in these batteries because it is easier on the environment.

Obviously every technology has its drawbacks. The fact is, we care and are actively looking for a solution.

We should also stop eating meat and wearing leather products because the CO2 emissions from live stock flatulence is causing global warming. Rather we should make all of our footwear and clothing from hemp because hemp has a samller foot print for tonnage of fabric, paper and tampons that can be produced.

Its not only the methane emmissions that make livestock bad for the environment. But I dont feel like going into that.

While were at it, we need to feed all of the hungry in Africa because we opressed them. We need to give them billions of dollars and teach them to become a modern economy, but no polluting manufacturing is allowed because we already have too many pollutants going into the air. Though what we should do is cut down on our pollution and allocate the same tonnage of CO2 production over to Africa so that they can build better lives for themselves so that they can afford their average household size of 17.2.

I think most here know my opinion on this subject. No need to go there again.

But we here in the modern world should not procreate because we pollute on a level that is unparalleled by developing nations, not just that but there are already too many people on the earth.

I agree with this. Do you really need 10 kids? Really?

Also, we should take note from the African tribes and live in dung houses, that would decrease deforestation, but they would have to be small dung houses because we need to cut back on livestock who release the CO2 via their flatulence, remember the flatulence.

Whatever.

Also, only wealthy liberal representatives from the UN and the occasional ex-VP of the US should be allowed to fly on Jumbo Jets so that they can meet in far off lands and talk about ways that we can further reduce the use of fossil fuels and clean up the environment.

Look at it like a zoo. Its bad to keep wild animals couped up like that but we rationalize it by the educating effect it has on people. Thus promoting conservation.

BTW, none of this applies to China, they can do what ever they want, what with their pollution and the killing of newborn daughters and the absolute disdain for individual rights and freedom of speech. AMEN."

China signed the Kyoto treaty, we didnt.

Just quit arguing with the global warming cult, you can't win. They will continue to espouse change; "we need to stop using coal and petrol fired power plants and use wind turbines, but you can't put the wind turbines anywhere near my house or in a location where they might potentially kill an endangered bird that flies into them" "We must all drive hybrid cars and research alternative fuels, though we should not clear more farm land to plant bio-fuel plants and should not put polluting pesticides on said plants. Also, we should ignore the extreme environmental impact that the manufacturing of batteries for hybrids has and the disposal of these electric batteries in these cars will not have a negligible impact at all, so we should continue the strip mining for the components in these batteries because it is easier on the environment. We should also stop eating meat and wearing leather products because the CO2 emissions from live stock flatulence is causing global warming. Rather we should make all of our footwear and clothing from hemp because hemp has a samller foot print for tonnage of fabric, paper and tampons that can be produced. While were at it, we need to feed all of the hungry in Africa because we opressed them. We need to give them billions of dollars and teach them to become a modern economy, but no polluting manufacturing is allowed because we already have too many pollutants going into the air. Though what we should do is cut down on our pollution and allocate the same tonnage of CO2 production over to Africa so that they can build better lives for themselves so that they can afford their average household size of 17.2. But we here in the modern world should not procreate because we pollute on a level that is unparalleled by developing nations, not just that but there are already too many people on the earth. Also, we should take note from the African tribes and live in dung houses, that would decrease deforestation, but they would have to be small dung houses because we need to cut back on livestock who release the CO2 via their flatulence, remember the flatulence. Also, only wealthy liberal representatives from the UN and the occasional ex-VP of the US should be allowed to fly on Jumbo Jets so that they can meet in far off lands and talk about ways that we can further reduce the use of fossil fuels and clean up the environment. BTW, none of this applies to China, they can do what ever they want, what with their pollution and the killing of newborn daughters and the absolute disdain for individual rights and freedom of speech. AMEN."

Did you miss the semester that covered paragraphs at school?

No, we're not required to take English here in the south, that way they can keep us repressed and ignorant. Not only that, but I dropped out in seventh grade to work on my uncle cletus' pig farm, ain't no money in no fancy learnin' down here.

I do wish I could learn to speak like you, so smart and eloquent, why, you use your tongue pertier than a $20 wh ore.

Edited by SEC=UGA

overruled beyatch!!!

19?!?! nice study group!!!

You've confused the accuracy of the science depicted in Gore's movie with the conclusions/opinions that he drew from them. What you posted rebuts Gore's conclusions/opinions; not the science he relied upon. All I said was that Gore conveyed the science correctly and your article doesn't dispute that.

Dmarc117 - FAIL

Edited by yo mama

Actually, I could hear it in my head just like it was coming out of the mouth of some insipid 19 year old college girl who was lamenting the state of the environment in her intro to poli sci class... kind of a stream of conciousness deal.

I should have added "like" and "you know" in between every third word, the concept would have been easier to pick up on.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Just quit arguing with the global warming cult, you can't win. They will continue to espouse change; "we need to stop using coal and petrol fired power plants and use wind turbines, but you can't put the wind turbines anywhere near my house or in a location where they might potentially kill an endangered bird that flies into them"

I dont think those turbines spin anywhere near fast enough to kill a bird and I have never heard anyone use that argument. I did, however, lose a ton of respect toward the Kennedys when they blocked the wind farm off of cape cod or wherever.

"We must all drive hybrid cars and research alternative fuels, though we should not clear more farm land to plant bio-fuel plants and should not put polluting pesticides on said plants. Also, we should ignore the extreme environmental impact that the manufacturing of batteries for hybrids has and the disposal of these electric batteries in these cars will not have a negligible impact at all, so we should continue the strip mining for the components in these batteries because it is easier on the environment.

Obviously every technology has its drawbacks. The fact is, we care and are actively looking for a solution.

We should also stop eating meat and wearing leather products because the CO2 emissions from live stock flatulence is causing global warming. Rather we should make all of our footwear and clothing from hemp because hemp has a samller foot print for tonnage of fabric, paper and tampons that can be produced.

Its not only the methane emmissions that make livestock bad for the environment. But I dont feel like going into that.

While were at it, we need to feed all of the hungry in Africa because we opressed them. We need to give them billions of dollars and teach them to become a modern economy, but no polluting manufacturing is allowed because we already have too many pollutants going into the air. Though what we should do is cut down on our pollution and allocate the same tonnage of CO2 production over to Africa so that they can build better lives for themselves so that they can afford their average household size of 17.2.

I think most here know my opinion on this subject. No need to go there again.

But we here in the modern world should not procreate because we pollute on a level that is unparalleled by developing nations, not just that but there are already too many people on the earth.

I agree with this. Do you really need 10 kids? Really?

Also, we should take note from the African tribes and live in dung houses, that would decrease deforestation, but they would have to be small dung houses because we need to cut back on livestock who release the CO2 via their flatulence, remember the flatulence.

Whatever.

Also, only wealthy liberal representatives from the UN and the occasional ex-VP of the US should be allowed to fly on Jumbo Jets so that they can meet in far off lands and talk about ways that we can further reduce the use of fossil fuels and clean up the environment.

Look at it like a zoo. Its bad to keep wild animals couped up like that but we rationalize it by the educating effect it has on people. Thus promoting conservation.

BTW, none of this applies to China, they can do what ever they want, what with their pollution and the killing of newborn daughters and the absolute disdain for individual rights and freedom of speech. AMEN."

China signed the Kyoto treaty, we didnt.

Environmental groups in CA protested wind farms as they have killed endangered California Condors among other birds. Ted Kennedy is an a$$.

China is not as heavily penalized by Kyoto as we are and they should have signed the thing, it was masterful political strategy on their part. Also, a number of EU nations signed it and are nowhere close to fulfilling their obligation's that are outlined in the protocol.

I recently read something to that effect. :wacko:

Am I stealing someone's thunder? As an infrequent poster over the past couple years I may have missed something.

Actually, I could hear it in my head just like it was coming out of the mouth of some insipid 19 year old college girl who was lamenting the state of the environment in her intro to poli sci class... kind of a stream of conciousness deal.

I should have added "like" and "you know" in between every third word, the concept would have been easier to pick up on.

It's actually a pretty darn good stream of consciousness rant. :wacko:

Environmental groups in CA protested wind farms as they have killed endangered California Condors among other birds.

I don't know much about their effect on the California Condor, but wind turbines are bad news for large flocks of migratory birds. This is particularly problematic in California, which is smack in the middle of a major migratory pathway.

Wind turbines are also loud and ugly, which is why they're typically located out in the middle of nowhere.

Big business ( oil companies ) rule the roost

we have advanced technology ..we can take clear pictures on mars like taking your kids picture on their bday

if serious efforts , time and money were devoted to getting away from cars running on gas and instead use alternative means of energy ( i e electricity) we would all be driving electric cars by now ...shoot we could be like the Jetsons in less than 10 years if that was the direction we wanted to go

for now gas and oil are like a ball and chain on all our legs ..we aint getting away from it anytime soon

100 a barrel and climbing , more and more pollution and harmful gases being emitted into atmosphere and exxon making 11 billion in one quarter ..gotta love it

And while we're on the subject of good old Exxon, looks like they are still fighting against the damages for the Valdez disaster almost two decades ago. Now they've got SC allies - check out what the buffoon Roberts says near the end.

It was less clear how the court would rule on the issue of whether the company should have to pay damages at all under the Clean Water Act and centuries-old laws governing shipping. Justice Samuel Alito, who owns Exxon stock, is not taking part in the case. A 4-4 split on that or any issue would leave the appeals court ruling in place.

The key element there is whether Exxon can be held liable at all for the acts of Exxon Valdez captain Joseph Hazelwood. Hazelwood was not on the ship's bridge when the accident occurred and had been drinking shortly before it left port, both in violation of Coast Guard rules and company policy.

"What more can the corporation do other than say, 'Here is our policies'? And try to implement them?" Chief Justice John Roberts said.

Fisher said Exxon had many warnings over three years that Hazelwood, an alcoholic, was drinking and that it knew that "putting a drunken master in charge of a supertanker was a potential for disaster and incalculably raised the chances of a disaster and a catastrophic spill occurring."

And consider - the award this company has been fighting for so long is less than three weeks worth of profit - not revenue, but profit.

I don't know much about their effect on the California Condor, but wind turbines are bad news for large flocks of migratory birds. This is particularly problematic in California, which is smack in the middle of a major migratory pathway.

Wind turbines are also loud and ugly, which is why they're typically located out in the middle of nowhere.

They're out in the middle of nowhere because of the wind, Bill. They don't work too good hidden behind a 1000 ft skyscraper.

I think we need McBoog and Driveby to focus us in on tangible discussions about Science.

:wacko:

Dude! You would make Dennis Miller proud! You should foward this rant to his website! :wacko:

Just quit arguing with the global warming cult, you can't win.

You're right, but it sure is funny to see how they get into an uncontrollable wobble if you present any other possibilities other than blaming it on the eeeevil humans! Self-hatred is inherent in the ultra-lib mind-set. It is like teasing a hornets nest, only they don't have a stinger. Whine and cheese is more their style. It is easier to give an elitist high brow (or as expressed here in the Tailgate, some cheap and childish insult), and express concern over an issue than actually doing something constructive about it. That is why the non-descript promise of "Change" thingy is working so well.

OK Goob! I was not the one that self-proclaimed to have and "uneducated opinion" on the matter. Don't hate me 'cause I used your own, self-description.

And with this, you continue to show how uneducated and disinterested in the WHOLE truth regarding our energy needs and production requirements/implications are.

Wind turbines taking toll on birds of prey

But for just as long, massive fiberglass blades on the more than 4,000 windmills have been chopping up tens of thousands of birds that fly into them, including golden eagles, red-tailed hawks, burrowing owls and other raptors.

Why Renewable Energy Is Not Cheap and Not Green

While such groups as the Sierra Club and the National Audubon Society have criticized wind power's effects on birds, many eco-energy planners have ignored the problem in their devotion to wind power.

www.treehugger.com

Our hunch is that the Altamont Pass California wind turbines, reportedly the site of some of the highest bird mortalities associated with any US wind farm, and using what is now an antique turbine design, are at the root of the widespread association of bird mortality with wind turbines in general.

And from that bastion of conservative opinion... The San Francisco Chronicle...

Cats, not windmills, bigger threat to birds

Bats more at risk, says impact study on wind power

The report said bats might be at considerable risk in the southwestern United States and elsewhere, where reliance on wind power has been growing. The wind-power turbines generate sounds and, possibly, electromagnetic fields that lure the acoustically sensitive creatures into the spinning blades, scientists suggested.

Your Kennedy Story

All this basically says is that even the environmentalists can't agree on this topic (at least as it relates to wind power). And even those who are proponents are not willing to have them in their "own back yards", re:Kennedys.

And if that didn't work, maybe this is something more to your level of understanding... :D Everyone has to start someplace and move forward from there!

Hope this helped! :wacko:

They're out in the middle of nowhere because of the wind, Bill. They don't work too good hidden behind a 1000 ft skyscraper.

Uh, OK, so that explains why so many are located in the west suburbs of Chicago, upwind from the Sears Tower. :wacko:

They're out in the middle of nowhere because nobody wants them in their neighborhood. I don't know of any in Illinois, Iowa, or Indiana, where there isn't exactly an abundance of 1000 ft skyscrapers or mountains, but there is an absolute ton of wind year-round. The only ones I've seen were in a desolate area off I-10 in western Texas.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Uh, OK, so that explains why so many are located in the west suburbs up Chicago, upwind from the Sears Tower. :wacko:

They're out in the middle of nowhere because nobody wants them in their neighborhood.

or they are were its windy??? just a hunch

You're right, but it sure is funny to see how they get into an uncontrollable wobble if you present any other possibilities other than blaming it on the eeeevil humans! Self-hatred is inherent in the ultra-lib mind-set. It is like teasing a hornets nest, only they don't have a stinger. Whine and cheese is more their style. It is easier to give an elitist high brow (or as expressed here in the Tailgate, some cheap and childish insult), and express concern over an issue than actually doing something constructive about it. That is why the non-descript promise of "Change" thingy is working so well.

OK Goob! I was not the one that self-proclaimed to have and "uneducated opinion" on the matter. Don't hate me 'cause I used your own, self-description.

And with this, you continue to show how uneducated and disinterested in the WHOLE truth regarding our energy needs and production requirements/implications are.

Wind turbines taking toll on birds of prey

Why Renewable Energy Is Not Cheap and Not Green

www.treehugger.com

And from that bastion of conservative opinion... The San Francisco Chronicle...

Cats, not windmills, bigger threat to birds

Bats more at risk, says impact study on wind power

Your Kennedy Story

All this basically says is that even the environmentalists can't agree on this topic (at least as it relates to wind power). And even those who are proponents are not willing to have them in their "own back yards", re:Kennedys.

And if that didn't work, maybe this is something more to your level of understanding... :D Everyone has to start someplace and move forward from there!

Hope this helped! :wacko:

Okay moron, those turbines are twenty years old, way outdated and no one took into account the migratory path. Have you ever seen a modern wind turbine at work? They spin at like 10 rpm. And I actually find them rather majestic looking. But since you love quotes so much, heres a few:

In the United States, turbines kill 70,000 birds per year, compared to 57 million killed by cars and 97.5 million killed by collisions with plate glass.[64] An article in Nature stated that each wind turbine kills on average 0.03 birds per year, or one kill per thirty turbines

In the UK, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) concluded that "The available evidence suggests that appropriately positioned wind farms do not pose a significant hazard for birds."[66] It notes that climate change poses a much more significant threat to wildlife, and therefore supports wind farms and other forms of renewable energy.

Modern large turbines have low sound levels at ground level. For example, in December 2006, a Texas jury denied a noise pollution suit against FPL Energy, after the company demonstrated that noise readings were not excessive. The highest reading was 44 decibels, which was characterized as about the same level as a 10 mile/hour (16 km/hr) wind.[91]

The numbers represent metric tonnes of oil spilled. This shows only spils of over 100,00 tonnes.

Gulf War oil spill Persian Gulf January 23, 1991 136,000 - 1,500,000

Ixtoc I oil well Gulf of Mexico June 3, 1979- March 23, 1980 454,000 - 480,000

Atlantic Empress / Aegean Captain Trinidad and Tobago July 19, 1979 287,000

Fergana Valley Uzbekistan March 2, 1992 285,000

Nowruz oil field Persian Gulf February 1983 260,000

ABT Summer 700 nautical miles (1,300 km) off Angola 1991 260,000

Castillo de Bellver Saldanha Bay, South Africa August 6, 1983 252,000

Amoco Cadiz Brittany, France March 16, 1978 223,000

Amoco Haven tanker disaster Mediterranean Sea near Genoa, Italy 1991 144,000

Odyssey 700 nautical miles (1,300 km) off Nova Scotia, Canada 1988 132,000

Sea Star Gulf of Oman December 19, 1972 115,000

Torrey Canyon Scilly Isles, UK March 18, 1967 80,000 - 119,000

Irenes Serenade Navarino Bay, Greece 1980 100,000

Urquiola A Coruña, Spain May 12, 1976 100,000

Which do you think is more harmful to wildlife? Wind turbines or oil spills? Honest answer please.