[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Pit Bull Attack

Double Agent

This is brilliant. I never knew letting your dog sleep in the bed could cause them to eat your child's face.

I need to do more reading.

You really should. I am glad you agree.

It doesn't make the dog bite the girls face, but it does create confusion for the dog. The little girl may have threatened what the dog has already established as her (the dog's) territory. The owners treat the dog like something other than a dog, it creates confusion for the dog. I see it all the time. People that let their dogs jump on people when they walk in the door, or lick them, or sleep in the bed with them, or feed them from the table, etc. All of those things plus a slew of others are all reasons why dogs may attack.... all of that can make them think that THEY are the boss. It's complicated DA, but if you do that reading you were so excited about doing, you will see.

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly believe that how a dog is raised can have a significant impact on it's behavior.

I also believe that there are certain breeds that have a higher propensity for violent behavior, regardless of how they are raised.

As a responsible parent who has a great love for dogs I see no reason why I would have a dog around my children that has a higher propensity for violent behavior. I'm not willing to risk my child's health and welfare on the belief that raising a dog that has violent tendencies with a strong hand in a loving home will completely erase that dog's violent tendencies.

As a side note we have told our children that they are to be cautious around ALL dogs, regardless of breed.

Edited by Grits and Shins

You really should. I am glad you agree.

It doesn't make the dog bite the girls face, but it does create confusion for the dog. The little girl may have threatened what the dog has already established as her (the dog's) territory. The owners treat the dog like something other than a dog, it creates confusion for the dog. I see it all the time. People that let their dogs jump on people when they walk in the door, or lick them, or sleep in the bed with them, or feed them from the table, etc. All of those things plus a slew of others are all reasons why dogs may attack.... all of that can make them think that THEY are the boss. It's complicated DA, but if you do that reading you were so excited about doing, you will see.

I agree with you to the extent that a dog must be trained. My bulldog is a 60 pound chunk of love...but he could hurt a kid if he jumped on them. He knows not to do that. He has been trained well and knows his role. But the difference is if he misbehaves, he knocks a kid down and licks them. Your reasoning is flawed in so many ways. It's like the argument that I've heard from people that keep loaded guns around the house. They say "our kids know not to touch it." Umm..sure. Lock the guns up...get rid of the vicious breeds of dogs...especially if you have kids.

I'm not going to categorize Rotties with Pit Bulls. I used to own a Rottie and loved her dearly. But I damn sure wouldn't own one now that I have a little one running around.

I agree with you to the extent that a dog must be trained. My bulldog is a 60 pound chunk of love...but he could hurt a kid if he jumped on them. He knows not to do that. He has been trained well and knows his role. But the difference is if he misbehaves, he knocks a kid down and licks them. Your reasoning is flawed in so many ways. It's like the argument that I've heard from people that keep loaded guns around the house. They say "our kids know not to touch it." Umm..sure. Lock the guns up...get rid of the vicious breeds of dogs...especially if you have kids.

I'm not going to categorize Rotties with Pit Bulls. I used to own a Rottie and loved her dearly. But I damn sure wouldn't own one now that I have a little one running around.

NOD

This is a case of I'd rather err on the side of safety. Why take the chance. It seems to make more sense to "buy the media hype" (if it is media hype) and keep my children safe than it does to thumb my nose at the media and potentially end up with a dead or maimed child.

If I own a pit that maims or kills my child it won't make me feel any better knowing that I thumbed my nose at the media.

This is brilliant. I never knew letting your dog sleep in the bed could cause them to eat your child's face.

I need to do more reading.

+2. C'mon Xtian, you can't really be serious about this.

Here's the deal, regardless of how "confused" the Golden we had growing up. And believe me, that dog wasn't just confused, it was downright stupid and poorly mannered. Thing is, it was 100% harmless. The way it's poor manners were manifested? It jumped up on my sister once when we were going out to dinner, got her dress all muddy and she, being 15, flipped out and locked herself in her room. That's the stakes you're playing with with Goldens, that you're sister's dress is going to be ruined and she's going to flip out. It's a risk that most can tolerate. At least a bit more than having that same sister require facial surgery.

I had a friend who had a Rot, and that thing was a loaded gun. He Shutzen (sp?) trained it because he wanted it to be "all it could be". Thing is, I never trusted that dog one bit and I get along great with dogs. He did the whole alpha thing with it and was a "responsible owner". Then, after it bit his wife in the face, he had to get rid of it. Hell, I don't know, maybe she hadn't done a good enough job establishing her dominant role. Well, you know what, maybe most of us don't freaking want a dog who's going to make us pay so dearly for not putting so much energy into doing everything exactly right.

Of course, I don't think the breed should be scratched out and have read plenty on these breeds. The unfortunate thing about Pits is that it's their undying loyalty and eagerness to please that gets them so exploited by cruel owners. It's a touchy subject but I can assure you that I have no interest in ever owning such a breed and honestly wonder why people choose to tempt fate by doing so. Sure, I'm sure that you love your pit, Ted. Of course, I'm also rather certain that's because you're a dog lover and could likely find your way to loving any number of other breeds (or non-breeds). I just hope that your choice of dog never comes back to haunt you.

I'm a dog lover; big dogs in particular. But I also have small children in the house, and I think one would have to be pretty retarded to keep a pit bull (or ANY "fighting" dogs) in the same house as small children. I simply love my children more than any dog, and there are far too many other big breeds that I could keep as a pet that would be more family-friendly. While any dog is capable of biting, pit bulls are far more likely to kill a small child *if* they bite.

That said, I have no problem if a legal adult chooses to own a pit bull, so long as they are a responsible dog owner. But I would also support a law that classified pit bulls as an "inherently dangerous animal," such that *if* it did bite someone the owner would be subject to strict liability. If people continued to want to own that particular breed, that would be their business. But at this point no reasonable person (dog owner or not) can feign ignorance or surprise that *when* a pit bull does attack it generally does substantially more damage than most breeds.

Edited by yo mama

+2. C'mon Xtian, you can't really be serious about this.

Here's the deal, regardless of how "confused" the Golden we had growing up. And believe me, that dog wasn't just confused, it was downright stupid and poorly mannered. Thing is, it was 100% harmless. The way it's poor manners were manifested? It jumped up on my sister once when we were going out to dinner, got her dress all muddy and she, being 15, flipped out and locked herself in her room. That's the stakes you're playing with with Goldens, that you're sister's dress is going to be ruined and she's going to flip out. It's a risk that most can tolerate. At least a bit more than having that same sister require facial surgery.

I had a friend who had a Rot, and that thing was a loaded gun. He Shutzen (sp?) trained it because he wanted it to be "all it could be". Thing is, I never trusted that dog one bit and I get along great with dogs. He did the whole alpha thing with it and was a "responsible owner". Then, after it bit his wife in the face, he had to get rid of it. Hell, I don't know, maybe she hadn't done a good enough job establishing her dominant role. Well, you know what, maybe most of us don't freaking want a dog who's going to make us pay so dearly for not putting so much energy into doing everything exactly right.

Of course, I don't think the breed should be scratched out and have read plenty on these breeds. The unfortunate thing about Pits is that it's their undying loyalty and eagerness to please that gets them so exploited by cruel owners. It's a touchy subject but I can assure you that I have no interest in ever owning such a breed and honestly wonder why people choose to tempt fate by doing so. Sure, I'm sure that you love your pit, Ted. Of course, I'm also rather certain that's because you're a dog lover and could likely find your way to loving any number of other breeds (or non-breeds). I just hope that your choice of dog never comes back to haunt you.

There is a very good point hidden in there. In each pack there is only one alpha dog. If that alpha dog is me that doesn't necessarily mean that the dog has the same respect for my wife and kids.

There is a very good point hidden in there. In each pack there is only one alpha dog. If that alpha dog is me that doesn't necessarily mean that the dog has the same respect for my wife and kids.

That is a correct statement. In fact, when small children are introduced into the house hold for the first time, a dog that is been around for a while will instinctively test to see where it relates to the children in the new pack order. Any dog owner/new parent should be aware of this and take proactive measures to get the dog straightened out. Some dogs, especially older dogs, can also become jealous or intolerant of small children. It's absolutely a situation that needs to be managed appropriately.

I got a Long Haired Chihuahua that would eat you alive. May take a couple of years, but he could do it .....

I also have a Jack Russell that's pretty bad azzed.

I've been attacked by one dog in my life. And that dog was a 2 pound Chihuahua. He latched on to my hand like a snapping turtle right between my thumb and my index finger. They may be little but they're very tenacious.

Hello! German Shepards are known Guard Dogs, Attack dogs and used by Law Enforcement to run down and disable people. Another strong breed is the Rottwieler, as well as the American Bull dog and the Rodesian Ridgeback!!!

Those that put down the dog based on breed are idiots!! Poodles and labs bite more people on regular basis than any other breed! Go watch the dog wisperer and get a clue. I work with large breeds and some of the most tame are the pits.....unless they are trained to attack on command. Also I can train any dog to attack and severly injure you so breed makes no difference. Some said it already and it is the owners responsibility to monitor and control thier dogs pit or no pit!!!

yeah, and that wouldn't have anything to do with the number of people that own them versus other breeds, would it? :wacko:

Sugar magnolia, blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I dont care,

Saw my baby down by the river, knew shed have to come up soon for air.

Sweet blossom come on, under the willow, we can have high times if youll abide

We can discover the wonders of nature, rolling in the rushes down by the riverside.

Shes got everything delightful, shes got everything I need,

Takes the wheel when Im seeing double, pays my ticket when I speed

She comes skimmin through rays of violet, she can wade in a drop of dew,

She dont come and I dont follow, waits backstage while I sing to you.

Well, she can dance a cajun rhythm, jump like a willys in four wheel drive.

Shes a summer love for spring, fall and winter. she can make happy any man alive.

Sugar magnolia, ringing that bluebell, caught up in sunlight, come on out singing

Ill walk you in the sunshine, come on honey, come along with me.

Shes got everything delightful, shes got everything I need,

A breeze in the pines and the sun and bright moonlight, lazing in the sunshine yes

Indeed.

Sometimes when the cuckoos crying, when the moon is half way down,

Sometimes when the night is dying, I take me out and I wander around, I wander

round.

Sunshine, daydream, walking in the tall trees, going where the wind goes

Blooming like a red rose, breathing more freely,

Ride our singin, Ill walk you in the morning sunshine

Sunshine, daydream. sunshine, daydream. walking in the sunshine.

Hello! German Shepards are known Guard Dogs, Attack dogs and used by Law Enforcement to run down and disable people. Another strong breed is the Rottwieler, as well as the American Bull dog and the Rodesian Ridgeback!!!

Those that put down the dog based on breed are idiots!! Poodles and labs bite more people on regular basis than any other breed! Go watch the dog wisperer and get a clue. I work with large breeds and some of the most tame are the pits.....unless they are trained to attack on command. Also I can train any dog to attack and severly injure you so breed makes no difference. Some said it already and it is the owners responsibility to monitor and control thier dogs pit or no pit!!!

Come on. Are you serious? Yes German Shepherds are big and can potentially be dangerous but they are not as dangerous as Pits - that was the point - There are other dog breeds that have the good characteristics as Pits but with a much less down side - like Goldens they basically have most of the characteristics that Ted mentions he loves in his Pit Bull but Goldens don't rip faces off of young children.

I don't have kids and I hate to tell people how to be parents but if you have young children and you have a Pit Bull or yes a Rottweiler - my opinion is that you are an idiot.

Breeds make a huge difference when deciding on a type of dog to buy along with the age and who is in the family that acquires this dog.

:wacko: Don't shoot the messenger.

If you don't think that letting a dog sleep in a bed confuses him in relation to what the household hierarchy is, then you run the risk of his defending territory that he believes is his when it is not.

You don't even know what the message is.

If you don't think that letting a dog sleep in a bed confuses him in relation to what the household hierarchy is, then you run the risk of his defending territory that he believes is his when it is not.

Is that what I said? I'm starting to figure out exactly what the message is. Make an excuse instead of calling it what it is. If these people are to blame for letting their dog sleep in the bed, then why in the hell would you have such a fickle animal in the house? I'm assuming there's a pit bull owner's checklist that you cannot deviate from. If you do, death may occur.

Listen to what you're saying. I never said letting your dog sleep in bed is a good idea and I don't practice it. But I choose to own dogs where I can make mistakes like that and it not cost me the life of a child.

Wow. In trying to sound smart, you come off as not so....

Is that what I said? I'm starting to figure out exactly what the message is. Make an excuse instead of calling it what it is. If these people are to blame for letting their dog sleep in the bed, then why in the hell would you have such a fickle animal in the house? I'm assuming there's a pit bull owner's checklist that you cannot deviate from. If you do, death may occur.

Listen to what you're saying. I never said letting your dog sleep in bed is a good idea and I don't practice it. But I choose to own dogs where I can make mistakes like that and it not cost me the life of a child.

:wacko::D

That's really it, isn't it. We're just talking about picking a dog that gives you a little room for error. I must say, however, that I'm honored to be a part of the Tailgate, a community that appears to be filled with the absolute most responsible dog owners alive. Well, at lease I hope for the sake of your children and neighbors that you are as much as you think.

Oh and wherethefugowie, I think rather than killing all the pits, they just lock up idiots like you.