[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FIFA - Italy vs Brazil

Lucky11

I'm surprised there hasn't been something about the USA beating the reigning world champions Spain 2-0 to reach the Confederations Cup final after the miracle of Brazil delivering the 3-0 win over Italy and the US beating Egypt 3-0 to emerge from pool play into the semi-finals. The win over Spain is by far the most impressive USA win in world soccer since beating England in the World Cup in 1950.

This is the near-equivalent of the Miracle on Ice. If the US defeats Brazil on Sunday then it will be the equivalent.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I turned it on for about 10 minutes. This sport just sucks so much ass I had to turn it off.

:wacko:

there is a reason nobody in the US cares about soccer - it sucks.

I was fired up to watch once I saw they were up 2-1, that lasted a few minutes and I was done.

cool story I guess, but just a limited sport that is a snoozefest to watch.

:wacko:

there is a reason nobody in the US cares about soccer - it sucks.

I was fired up to watch once I saw they were up 2-1, that lasted a few minutes and I was done.

cool story I guess, but just a limited sport that is a snoozefest to watch.

It's worth asking why the entire rest of the world doesn't agree.

Brazil scored 5 minutes from time to win 3-2. Whatever, that's a massive step forward for USA soccer just one year away from the World Cup.

I watched the whole game from beginning to end... :wacko: .the US played decent, but it doesn't take a trained eye to see that skillwise, the top teams in the world like Brazil, Italy, Germany, etc are heads and shoulders above the US level. They can pass and play in very tight traffic, and rarely turn the ball over. I think the US was a little lucky they got this far, but no doubt the outstanding play of Howard in goal kept them in games.

If this is really the best effort that team USA can give, then I'm afraid it's going to be a quick out again in next year's World Cup. Still, it was an exciting run in this tournament, and something positive to hang their hats on. :D

• 2 weeks later...
It's worth asking why the entire rest of the world doesn't agree.

I actually enjoy soccer and played a lot when I was younger and I could not help saying to myself as I watched the game against Brazil "this sport does suck".

Reasons for sucking:

1. Low scoring and very little excitement

2. Pansies who fake fall down and grab the ankle screaming in pain when the replay shows it was actually the other ankle.

3. Goalies who often dive and then fall to the ground and roll over to make it look like an incredible save when it really was not.

The fake falling and getting hurt is probably the biggest reason for me not watching the sport. If that is part of the game then it is not worth watching.

2. Pansies who fake fall down and grab the ankle screaming in pain when the replay shows it was actually the other ankle.

3. Goalies who often dive and then fall to the ground and roll over to make it look like an incredible save when it really was not.

The fake falling and getting hurt is probably the biggest reason for me not watching the sport. If that is part of the game then it is not worth watching.

And your feelings about the NBA? :wacko:

I actually enjoy soccer and played a lot when I was younger and I could not help saying to myself as I watched the game against Brazil "this sport does suck".

Reasons for sucking:

Again - it's worth asking why the rest of the world doesn't agree.

Again - it's worth asking why the rest of the world doesn't agree.

I think a lot of it has to do with that is one of the few sports that a lot of countries have that people can play. It costs almost no money and can be played in an open field. A lot of the world grew up playing it and that is all they know.

Soccer here is a popular sport for kids but it seems when kids grow older and have other options they tend to take the other options and leave soccer behind. Do other countries around the world have these other options?

I think a lot of it has to do with that is one of the few sports that a lot of countries have that people can play. It costs almost no money and can be played in an open field. A lot of the world grew up playing it and that is all they know.

Soccer here is a popular sport for kids but it seems when kids grow older and have other options they tend to take the other options and leave soccer behind. Do other countries around the world have these other options?

There is no real pyramid of soccer here as there is in other countries. For example, in England there is a team promotion system going from weekend recreation leagues all the way to the Premiership. At least one club has completed that journey from right at the bottom to the top tier. There are five professional divisions in major pro soccer in England alone, with 120 clubs. The top three in each division go to the next division up each season with the bottom three coming down. Each club has multiple teams - first team, reserves, youth, etc, etc. Reserves and other teams play in yet more leagues.

Sports here are a totally closed shop with no team promotion or relegation, hence there are extremely limited professional positions, with the exception of baseball, maybe, which does at least have player promotion. I suppose college is the next step down for most, an organized system that those other countries don't have.

The whole sports setup is totally different here to any other country but that's maybe another discussion entirely.

Reasons for sucking:

you've never seen a WR take a fall to try and get a pass interference call? :wacko: yes, it may be a bit more dramatic in soccer, but it happens in every sport.

you've never seen a WR take a fall to try and get a pass interference call? :wacko: yes, it may be a bit more dramatic in soccer, but it happens in every sport.

If you think it is even a close comparison then you are not seeing what I am seeing.

When is the last time a WR took a fall trying to get a pass interference call by falling to the ground screaming in pain and grabbing part of his body in excruciating pain that was not touched by the defender? Then the said player gets carted off on a stretcher only to come back in 5 minutes to play the rest of the game without even a limp.

There is way too much diving in soccer and I think that turns a lot of people off. There is too much diving in the NBA and there again I think it turns a lot of people off of the sport. I used to watch a lot of NBA as akid also and now I may catch at most two games a year and some has to do with all the fouls and part has to do with it just being ghetto ball now anyway.

There is way too much diving in soccer and I think that turns a lot of people off.

There is and it does, that's not in dispute. What is in dispute is the sheer hold this "boring, non-contact non-event" has over the entire remainder of the planet. Clearly it exerts a level of allegiance that domestic sports don't. I can't remember the last time I went to a US sporting event where the crowd was more interested in the game on the field / court / ice than in making their ninth trip to the concession stand. Actually, I can, it was the NBA Western Conference Finals Game 7 in 2004 but crowds here are generally not there for the game.

Other than that, live US sports are typically stop-go which breaks the attention whereas soccer is 45 unbroken minutes (apart from stopping the divers from rolling around :wacko: ) each way. Maybe that's why soccer has a hold everywhere else and our sports have a hold only here - TV? Are we conditioned to have very short attention spans by TV?

Edited by Ursa Majoris